Obituaries in 1949

ATFIELD, ALFRED JOHN, a versatile cricketer of much experience, known chiefly as a very efficient umpire in first-class cricket, died at Caterham, Surrey, on New Year's Day, aged 80. Born at Ightham, Kent, on March 3, 1868, he played for the county second eleven and for Gloucestershire in 1893 before being engaged by W. H. Laverton, a noted sportsman, at Westbury, in Wiltshire, for which county Atfield became prominent. Next he excelled as a coach in South Africa, being professional in Durban from 1897. A member of the ground staff at Lord's from 1901, he scored 121 not out on that ground in a Cross Arrows match after his marriage earlier in the day at Hanover Square.

AUDEN, MR. BERTRAM, died at Cheltenham on January 31 in his 78th year. Uppingham XI 1889-90. Cambridge Freshman's Match 1891. For many years Headmaster of Glyngarth School, Cheltenham.

AWDRY, COLONEL ROBERT WILLIAM, C. B. E., D.L., T.D., who played for Winchester, Oxford University and Wiltshire, died at Devizes in February in his 68th year. In his only season in the Oxford eleven, 1904, he opened the innings against Cambridge with J. E. Raphael, scoring 22 and 36. Most people will remember Col. Awdry for all he did for Wiltshire cricket. A beautiful stroke player who loved to hit the ball in front of the wicket he was, with his brother, Charles, the mainstay of the Wiltshire batting before the 1914-18 war. Afterwards he became captain and for many years was the leading personality of Wiltshire cricket, for he also served the county as honorary secretary and treasurer. He delighted in training young players and was responsible for the development of giant Jim smith, who went to Middlesex. Awdry's father owned private grounds at Shaw and Lavington where the cricket and the hospitality was of the best standard. Colonel Awdry was at one time High Sheriff of Wiltshire; he commanded the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and at his death was Chairman of the Wiltshire County Council as well as a Deputy Lieutenant of the County.

BAINES, CANON ALFRED GEORGE PISANI, died at Slough on May 12, aged 77. Bedford Grammar School XI. Played for Buckinghamshire and Berkshire at cricket and Association football, and was President of the Slough C.C.

BASHFORD, REV. ALFRED MYDDLETON, died suddenly on July 31, aged 67. Merchant Taylors' XI. 1899-1900. Cambridge Seniors' Match 1903. Played for Middlesex twice in 1906. Vicar of Hillingdon, Middlesex.

BROMLEY-DAVENPORT, BRIG.-GEN. SIR WILLIAM, K. C. B., C. M. G., C. B. E., D. S. O., who died on February 6, aged 87, played for Eton in 1880 when Harrow won the match at Lord's by 95 runs. He was a distinguished amateur footballer and in 1885 played for England against Scotland and Wales.

BURRELL, REV. HERBERT JOHN EDWIN, died at Cambridge on May 22, aged 82. Charterhouse XI 1884-85. Oxford trial matches, but did not obtain his Blue. Played a little for Essex, Norfolk and Hants. Lawn tennis doubles for Oxford v. Cambridge 1886-87. Hon. Canon of Ely Cathedral.

CANNON, MR. JAMES, for 65 years with M.C.C. at Lord's, died on April 20, aged 82. He started as a ball-boy for the tennis courts when 12 and held the horses for members when they visited the ground. Gradually he climbed the ladder, becoming boot-boy in the cricket dressing-rooms, and then went into the office where for many years he was chief clerk. A small, popular figure, Jimmy Cannon was given the title King of Lord's, by Sir Pelham Warner. A keen gardener, he was recognised by hundreds of people by his straw-hat and button-hole of sweet-peas, rose or carnation. On his retirement in 1944, he was elected an honorary member of M.C.C.

CANTLEY, MR. FRANCIS DOUGLAS, died at Westgate-on-Sea on September 23, aged 71. Pocklington School XI. Played in Cambridge trial matches 1898-1900, but did not obtain his Blue. Cambridge Association XI 1899-1900 and Corinthians. Late headmaster of Hawtreys, Westgate.

CARTER, MR. CLEMENT CYRIL, died at Haywards Heath on February 15, aged 73. Lancing XI 1892-94, captain 1894. Assistant master at Marlborough College.

CLEGG, MR. WILLIAM GAVIN, died at Delamere, Cheshire, on May 18, aged 79. Winchester XI 1886-88. Oxford Trial matches 1889-91. In 1890, for the University v. Next XVI, he took eight wickets for 70. Failed to secure his Blue.

CHRISTOPHERSON, MR. STANLEY, President of M.C.C. from 1939 to 1946, the longest period anyone has held that office, died in a London nursing home on April 6, aged 87. Born at Blackheath on November 11, 1861, he earned fame as one of the best fast bowlers in the middle'eighties. He was educated at Uppingham, where the celebrated H. H. Stephenson was coach. Although a splendid teacher of batting, Stephenson possessed rather lax ideas on the matter of bowling, but Christopherson's methods were beyond suspicion. Christopherson took a fairly long run, made full use of his height in bringing the ball well over and, with a natural swing, acquired a lot of pace. For a fast bowler he kept an accurate length and could send down a formidable yorker. He played a good deal for Kent for five seasons from 1883, but strained his arm in 1886 and took little active part in important cricket after 1887.

Altogether he appeared for Kent in fifty matches and against Surrey at The Oval in 1883 took eight wickets for 41. A year later his reputation was so well established that he played for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's, and Australians at The Oval, while at Lord's he was capped for England against Australia, who on that occasion suffered defeat in a single innings. For the Gentlemen against Australia's very powerful batting side, he dismissed eight men for 78 and at Canterbury, when Kent were the only county that summer to beat the Australians, he sent down in the second innings 19 overs for 12 runs and three wickets.

That season Christopherson figured in a remarkable match at Aston Lower Grounds, Birmingham, between An Eleven of England and the Australians. The pitch, quite bare of grass, was alleged to have been watered overnight. In these circumstances four hours of actual cricket sufficed, the Englishmen making 82 and 26 and the Australians 76 and 33 for six wickets. Spofforth took 14 wickets--seven in the second innings for three runs. Christopherson did not bowl in the first innings, but in the second disposed of Alec Bannerman, Percy McDonnell, Blackham and Spofforth in nine overs and one ball for 10 runs.

Stanley Christopherson was one of ten sons who, with their father, used at various periods in the'seventies and'eighties to form a family cricket eleven and play certain matches, mostly against schools in the Blackheath district. A man of great personal charm he was in his young days extremely good looking.

During the difficult war years, M.C.C. could not have possessed a better man as President. He was a big figure in the City of London and from 1943-45 was temporary chairman of the Midland Bank, yet despite the calls of business, he went to Lord's on most days and rarely missed a Committee meeting. In all walks of life he always played the game.

COBB, MR. HUMPHRY HENRY, who died after a long illness on December 13, played fourteen innings for Middlesex in the latter part of last century, scoring 157 runs. He captained Rosslyn Park F. C. for three seasons from 1896-97 to 1898-99. Born on July 12, 1876, he was at one time President of the Bear Skating Club.

COBHAM,VISCOUNT, K. C. B., who died on July 31, aged 67, was the ninth Viscount, succeeding his father in 1922. Educated at Eton, he played as the Hon. John Cavendish Lyttelton, for the College against Winchester in 1899 when Eton won an exciting match by one wicket. Subsequently he played several times for Worcestershire C.C.C., whose fortunes he always followed with the keenest interest. When he became President of M.C.C. in 1935, he emulated the example of his father, who held the office in 1886, and his uncle, Afred Lyttelton, the England wicket-keeper of the early'eighties, in 1898. He was Treasurer of M.C.C. and President of Worcestershire at the time of his death. He served with the Rifle Brigade in the South African War and was A.D.C to the High Commissioner for South Africa, 1905-8. During the first World War, he saw service in Gallipoli, Egypt, Sinai and Palestine and in the second he was Parliamentary Secretary of State for War, 1939-40. He had been Lord-Lieutenant of Worcestershire and of the City of Worcester since 1923 and chairman of the Council of County Territorial Associations from 1942. He represented the Droitwich Division as Conservative M.P. from 1910-16. In 1908 he married Miss Violet Leonard. He is succeeded by his son, Colonel Charles Lyttelton, a former captain of Worcestershire.

COLLINS, GEORGE C., who played for Kent from 1911 to 1928, died on January 23, aged 59. His father, Christopher, and his uncle, George, both played for Kent. Born at Gravesend, G. C. Collins learned his cricket there and at Cobham, where his family had close ties. His father played at Cobham under the captaincy of the Hon. Ivo Bligh, 8th Earl of Darnley, who captained England's successful team in Australia in 1882. A tall well-built cricketer, Collins was a splendid right-arm fast bowler and a useful left-handed batsman. His best performance for the County was in 1922 when,against Nottinghamshire at Dover, after dismissing six batsmen for 18 runs in the first innings, he took all ten wickets for 65 runs. He kept a splendid length and came quickly off the ground. Altogether in first-class cricket he scored 6,270 runs, average 22.15, and obtained 379 wickets, average 23.60. He was a member of the M.C.C. team which visited West Indies, 1925-26.

COMYN, MR. ANDREW DANIEL, died at Loughran, Co. Galway, May 21. Member of the All-Ireland XI who played four matches in England in 1902.

COX, GEORGE REUBEN, father of the present Sussex batsman, died at his birthplace, Warnham, near Horsham, on March 24, aged 76. One of the pillars of Sussex cricket, he played for the county from 1895 to 1928, subsequently became the official coach and, as a mark of appreciation of his long and valuable service, was made an honorary life member of the club in 1937. Only Maurice Tate had previously received a similar honour.

A splendid all-rounder, Cox was a steady right-handed batsman and a left-arm bowler, first of medium-pace from which he soon turned to slow, revealing a nice, easy action. He scored 14,650 runs at an average of 18.75, took 1,843 wickets for 22.86 runs each, and held 510 catches, mostly close to the wicket. Two Sussex records stand to his credit. In 1908 he put on 156 for the last wicket with Harry Butt at Cambridge and in 1926, at the age of 52, he took 17 Warwickshire wickets for 106 runs at Horsham. When Cox played his highest innings, 167 not out against Hampshire at Chichester in 1906, he and Butt added 116 for the last wicket.

Down the years his most effective work was as a bowler. Beside the feat of obtaining 17 wickets in one match, he took five wickets for no runs in six overs against Somerset at Weston-super-Mare in 1921. Beginning in 1900, Cox was a member of the M.C.C. ground staff for many years and, playing for them against Royal Navy in 1907, took all ten wickets in an innings for 117 runs. He was given the match against Surrey at Hove in 1914 as his benefit, but as it was cancelled owing to the war, Sussex allotted him the game with Yorkshire at Hove in 1920. A genial character, Cox was popular wherever he went. He paid four visits to South Africa and one to India as coach.

CRAWFORD, LIEUT.-COL. PROBY EDWARD PAYNE, died at Reading on April 11, aged 86. Former Sussex county cricketer and he played in the same M.C.C. team as W. G. Grace. Late Royal Sussex Regiment and a survivor of the Gordon Relief Expedition.

EBDEN, MR. CHARLES HOTSON MURRAY, died at Elvanfoot, Lanark, on May 24, aged 68. Cambridge Blue 1902-3. Played a little for Sussex and Middlesex. Member of Lord Brackley's team in West Indies 1905. Cambridge hockey XI 1901-3 and England XI 1903. Served in the First World War 1914-19, Lieutenant R.N.V.R.

ECKHOFF, MR. A. D., who died at Wellington, New Zealand on April 1, aged 73, played in fourteen matches for Otago between 1899 and 1915. He appeared against Lord Hawke's touring team of 1902-3 and the M.C.C. side of 1906-7.

EVERARD, SIR WILLIAM LINDSAY, D. L., J. P., died at Torquay on March 11, aged 57. Harrow XI 1908. Played twice for Leicestershire. Hon. Secretary of Leicestershire Gentlemen's Club 1914-35. President of County Club 1936 and 1939; member of the M.C.C. Committee 1938-45. One of the pioneers of private flying at his own aerodrome near his Leicestershire home, Ratcliffe Hall. Vice-President and former Chairman of Royal Aero Club. M. P. for Melton 1924-45; Knighted 1939.

FEGAN, MR. JOHN HERBERT, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., L.S.A., died at Laverstock Green, Herts., on July 26, aged 77. Blackheath Preparatory School. Cambridge Freshmen's Match 1889. England Rugby XV 1895.

FIELDER, ARTHUR, Kent fast bowler for twelve years immediately prior to the first World War, died in St. Thomas's Hospital, London, on August 30, aged 71. He enjoyed a distinction possessed by no other cricketer: in a Gentlemen v. Players match at Lord's, he took all ten wickets in an innings. This feat he accomplished in 1906 when, despite his great achievement, the Gentlemen won a fine game by 45 runs. Taking in first-class matches that season 186 wickets for 20 runs apiece, Fielder did much towards enabling Kent, for the first time, to carry off the Championship. His success was the more remarkable as, after showing capital form in 1903 and 1904, his first two years in the Kent eleven, he fell off so badly in 1905 that, taking comparatively few wickets, and those at heavy cost, he lost his place in the side.

Fielder did big things in 1907, taking 172 wickets for only 16 runs each, and he continued to render fine service for the next seven seasons till the War. Over forty years old when county cricket was revived in 1919, he played no more for Kent. Altogether he took 1,221 wickets for less than 21 runs apiece. While never regarded as much of a batsman, he shared at Stourbridge in 1909 in what is still, as regards purely domestic cricket, a record stand for the last-wicket in England. Nine Kent wickets were down for 320 when he joined Frank Woolley and the two players added 235, Woolley making 185 and Fielder 112 not out.

Born at Plaxtol, near Tonbridge, on July 19, 1878, Fielder fulfilled engagements at Tonbridge and Canterbury before he found a place in the county team, succeeding W. M. Bradley as fast bowler. Despite a wet summer he acquitted himself well enough to be taken to Australia in the autumn of that year as a member of the first team led by P. F. Warner, but he accomplished little and figured in only two of the five Test matches. In 1907, he again went to Australia under A. O. Jones and in four of the Tests he took 25 wickets for just over 25 runs each.

Very strong, Fielder undertook a rare amount of work without sign of fatigue. As a rule he bowled well outside the off-stump and at times made the ball break back, but his best delivery was one which swung away. This made him very dependent upon the smartness of his slips where, in their famous year of 1906, Kent were specially well served by such men as J. R. Mason, K. L. Hutchings, Woolley and Seymour, with the almost infallible Huish as wicket-keeper.

FORTUNE, MAJOR-GENERAL VICTOR MORVEN, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., died at Dalswinton, Dumfries, on January 2, aged 65. He played in the Winchester XI 1901. Was in command of the 51st (Highland) Division. A.D.C. to the King 1934-35.

FOX, WILLIAM V., the former Worcestershire batsman, died in Manchester following an operation on February 18, aged 51. He made his début in first-class cricket in 1923, when he scored 981 runs, average 32.70, with a highest innings of 178 not out against Northamptonshire at Worcester. A native of Yorkshire, he was the type of player Worcestershire badly needed, but M.C.C. decided that both he and L. G. Crawley were not properly qualified and Fox could not play again for the county until 1926, being compelled to go through the full two years necessary for qualification. On his return he scored 1,010 runs, including three hundreds in 1926 and for four seasons, when the side were generally weak in batting, he served them admirably. His most successful summer was 1929 when his aggregate reached 1,331 runs, average 29.13, and that year he made the highest score of his career, 198 against Warwickshire at Birmingham. He never reproduced the same form and after appearing in four matches in 1932 he did not play again for the county. Fox was also a fine footballer and played for Middlesbrough, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Newport County.

FRY, MR. K. R. B., who died in June 1949, was a cousin of C. B. Fry. Born on March 15, 1883, he was in the Cheltenham XI before going to Cambridge, for whom he played against Oxford in 1904, scoring 28 and 57 (ten 4's). A big hitter, he scored 235 for Sussex Martlets against Cuckfield in 1907. He played in two matches for Sussex.

GANGE, T. H., a right-arm fast bowler who appeared for Gloucestershire from 1913 to 1920, died in March in his 58th year. During the four seasons he appeared in first-class he scored 571 runs, average 10.01 and took 103 wickets, average 31.69. His best year was 1913 when he obtained 54 wickets at a cost of 25.68 runs each.

GAY, MAJOR LESLIE HEWITT, who played in a Test match in Australia in the winter of 1894-95 and kept goal at soccer for England, Cambridge University Corinthians and Old Brightonians, died at Sidmouth on November 1, aged 78. A cousin of Mr. K. J. Key, captain of Surrey, Gay, who was born at Brighton on March 24, 1871, kept wicket for Cambridge against Oxford in 1892 and 1893. He helped Hampshire and Somerset between 1888 and 1900, and appeared for Gentlemen v. Players at the Oval in 1892. In 1894, when a member of the Somerset team, he toured Australia with A. E. Stoddart's team but played only in the first Test. At football, Gay kept goal in the University Match in 1892 and was capped for England against Scotland in 1893, and against Scotland and Wales the following year.

GIFFEN, MR. WALTER FRANK, a brother of George who appeared in thirty-one Tests for Australia, and who himself played in three Tests against England, died in Melbourne in June, aged 87. W. F. Giffen was a member of the Australian team of 1893 which visited England, but accomplished nothing out of the ordinary. He was a sound batsman and concentrated mainly on defence. He hit many hundreds in Adelaide club cricket and played for South Australia. As a fieldsman he excelled in the deep and like the majority of Australians he possessed a capital return to the wicket. In 1886 he met with an accident at the Brompton Gasworks, Adelaide, where he got his left hand between a pair of cog-wheels and lost the tops of two of his fingers.

GLOVER, MR. ALFRED CHARLES STIRRUP, died at Kenilworth on May 22, aged 77. Repton XI 1890-91. Played for Staffordshire and Warwickshire, hitting seven centuries. In all scored 5,142 runs with an average of 25.83. Enjoyed fair success also as a bowler taking 49 wickets at a cost of 32.20 runs apiece.

GRESSON, MR. FRANCIS HENRY, a left-handed batsman and bowler, who played for Winchester, Oxford University and Sussex, died on January 31 at Eastbourne, aged 80. A native of Worthing, he was in the Winchester eleven of 1885 and 1886 and when the following year he made 91 and 95 in the Freshmen's match, he immediately won his Blue and figured in three matches against Cambridge. He accomplished little against the Light Blues, but opening the innings for Oxford against Lancashire at Manchester in 1888 he hit 114. He helped Sussex for the first time in 1887, but between 1890 and 1899 did not play at all for the county. In 1901 he took part in Fred Tate's benefit match at Brighton but was not called on to bat. Sussex, with C. B. Fry scoring 209 and E. H. Killick 200--their partnership realised 349--made 560 for five wickets declared against Yorkshire whom they dismissed for 92. Gresson, a medium-paced bowler, took the last wicket for a single. Occasionally Gresson, a schoolmaster, appeared for M.C.C., and Scores and Biographies records that in 1905 whilst batting for M.C.C. against Littlehampton at Littlehampton, he cut a ball hard which bounced once ere reaching the pavilion, where a retired elderly gentleman named Lee was sitting in the front row. Mr. Lee had an eye knocked out and literally smashed by the ball.

GUY, REV. RALPH COURTENAY, for forty-one years headmaster of Forest School, Essex, and one of a family well known in sport, died on February 11 at the age of 82. His enthusiasm for games meant much to his school. He was a keen coach and often led his own cricket team. A sturdy figure, he played cricket after passing his sixtieth year, and even then could hit a six. Guy was a member of the Oxford Association Football XI for three years, 1886-88, and captained the side in his last season. He also played for Corinthians.

HAZLERIGG, LORD ARTHUR GREY, Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire, died in London on May 25, aged 70. Without any practical knowledge of first-class cricket he took over the captaincy of Leicestershire in 1907 and continued to 1910. He did little as a batsman, scoring 866 runs, average 9.84, but he was a popular leader. His heir, Major A. G. Hazlerigg, played for Eton, Cambridge University and Leicestershire.

HEAD, MR. JOHN REGINALD, died at Folkestone on May 15, aged 80. Clifton XI 1885 and 1886 when he was captain. Played occasionally for Middlesex in 1892 and 1898.

HEARNE, FRANK, who died in July at the age of 90, had the rare experience of playing in Test Matches for England against South Africa and also for South Africa against England.

Born on November 23, 1858, he was one of three brothers who gained fame with Kent. The others were George Gibbons and Alec Hearne. Only 5 ft. 5 ins. tall, he was a batsman with a sound defence and many fine off-side strokes. He first played for Kent in 1879 and up to 1889 scored 3,426 runs and took 41 wickets with fast round-arm bowling before ill-health made him give up county cricket.

He toured South Africa with Major R. G. Wharton's team in 1888-89 and played in two Test Matches for England. Subsequently he settled in South Africa and was engaged by the Western Province Cricket Club. In 1891 he appeared for South Africa when England went to that country and also played in three Tests in the 1895 English tour. In 1894 he was a member of the first South African team to visit England.

Probably the best display of his career was the 111 he made for South of England against the Australians in 1886. His highest innings was 144 for Kent against Yorkshire in 1887. The previous year he and his brother, G. G. Hearne, added 226 for the second Kent wicket against Middlesex at Gravesend, Frank scoring 142 and George 126.

All three brothers figured in Kent's great victory over the Australians at Canterbury in 1884 when they were the only county that summer to lower the colours of the touring team. Frank Hearne played a notable part in this performance. He opened the batting and in the second innings his 45 was second highest score in a total of 213. Alec Hearne, with five wickets for 36 and two for 30, also helped considerably towards the overthrow of W. L. Murdoch's men. Stanley Christopherson, who died a few weeks before Frank Hearne, was another member of that Kent side.

Frank Hearne retained his interest in the game long after his career ended, and a few months before his death he was present at the Test between England and South Africa at Cape Town in 1949.

HIGSON, MR. THOMAS A., who died at his home at Grange-over-Sands on August 3, was a former Test selector and the chairman of Lancashire C.C.C. He played in first-class cricket for Lancashire and Derbyshire, and also appeared for Cheshire and Rossall School. A member of the Lancashire Committee for forty-nine years, Mr. Higson succeeded the late Sir Edwin Stockton as chairman in 1932 after serving as hon. treasurer for eight years. He became an M.C.C. member in 1897, and served from 1931 to 1934 as a member of the M.C.C. Selection Committee, together with Sir Pelham Warner and Mr. P. A. Perrin.

At Rossall, Mr. Higson captained the school cricket team for two years; he also led the hockey eleven and was Fives Champion. While at New College, Oxford, where he took an M. A. degree, he played for the University at both cricket and Association football, but did not gain a Blue. In the Soccer side he played with Mr. G. O. Smith.

When 17, Higson played cricket for Cheshire, and in 1890 he captained Derbyshire. From 1905 onwards he made a number of appearances for Lancashire, and his last first-class appearance occurred in 1923, when he led the Lancashire team which beat the West Indies.

A Manchester solicitor, Mr. Higson gave great service to cricket as an administrator. He helped to choose the M.C.C. side which visited Australia in 1932-33, and when the body-line controversy arose concerning that tour, he expressed the view that such bowling was detrimental to cricket. He was an advocate of brighter cricket, and in 1934 urged two-day single innings county matches.

In first-class cricket he scored 537 runs at an average of 12.78 and with right-arm slow bowling took 39 wickets for 28.33 each.

HILL, MR. ROLAND PRETTY, the cartoonist known as Rip, died in London on December 29, aged 83. He was the first line artist to concentrate on cricket and his drawings of players appeared in the London Evening News and many magazines.

HILL-WOOD, SIR SAMUEL, BT., D.L., J.P., one of the most prominent figures in sport in the last half-century, died at his home in London on January 4, aged 57. Undoubtedly Association football was his greatest love. Before the 1914-18 war he built up his own club of Glossop, which reached the First Division of the Football League. Although most of the players were amateurs the venture was estimated to have cost him over £30,000. He became chairman of Arsenal in 1927 and was still in office at the time of his death. As a cricketer he was no more than a moderate player scoring 758 runs, average 17.22, in the three years, 1899 to 1901, in which he captained Derbyshire. A curiosity was that his four children, all boys, followed his footsteps in going to Eton and also gaining a county cap for Derbyshire. Sir Samuel represented the High Peak Division of Derbyshire as a Conservative from 1910 to 1929.

HINDLEKAR, D. D., one of the best wicket-keepers ever produced by India, died at Bombay on March 30, aged 40. He was one of the small band of cricketers who opened an innings and went in last in separate Test Matches. Hindlekar toured England in 1936 and 1946 and altogether played in four Test Matches. At Manchester in the Second Test in 1946 he and Sohoni, the last pair, stayed together for the last thirteen minutes of the match and warded off defeat. During the 1936 tour he opened the innings in the First Test at Lord's, but subsequently chipped a bone in a finger and also was troubled by blurred vision. Ten years later a strained back kept him out of several matches.

His choice for the 1946 visit to England was unexpected, for he was then 37, but such was his form in the Bombay Pentangular final of 1945-46 that he could not be overlooked. Never spectacular, but always sound, both behind the stumps and when batting, Hindlekar was a cheerful personality and an extremely popular member of the touring parties.

HOYER-MILLAR, MR. EDWARD GEORGE, who died at his home in London on Christmas Eve as the result of an accident, played as opening batsman and wicket-keeper for Harrow in 1918, when he was second in the batting averages. He was a member of M.C.C.

HUMPHREYS, EDWARD, one of the best-known figures in Kent cricket, died at his Maidstone home on November 6, aged 68. Thus ended an association which began fifty-three years before when Punter, as he became known, joined the Kent staff. Two years later, when 17, he made his first appearance, as a left-arm slow bowler, for the county, but he soon gained greater prominence as a right-hand opening batsman. An especially strong back player, he showed particular skill when the ball was turning. No little testimony to his skill was contained in the fact that he retained his place in the Kent side in their halcyon years when they won the Championship four times, from 1906 to 1913, the only occasions when they carried off the honours. One of his best feats occurred in 1908 when he shared with A. P. Day in a seventh wicket stand of 248 for Kent against Somerset at Taunton. In 1912-13 he went to West Indies as a member of the M.C.C. team captained by A. F. Somerset and enjoyed a successful tour with 461 runs, average 40.07, and 40 wickets for 16.75 runs each.

In his playing career, which extended from 1899 to 1920, Humphreys played under five Kent captains, J. R. Mason, C. J. Burnup, C. H. B. Marsham, E. W. Dillon and L. H. W. Troughton. Altogether he scored 16,603 runs, average 27.95, hit twenty centuries, and took 342 wickets, average 24.49. He also earned distinction for his magnificent fielding at mid-on and short-leg.

Punter Humphreys was a good coach as well as a fine player. During his playing days he went to Jamacia five times to impart his knowledge to the young players out there, and before that he coached in New Zealand. After finishing first-class cricket Humphreys became coach at Uppingham School where he played a large part in the development of two Kent captains, A. P. F. Chapman and F. G. H. Chalk. His engagement at Uppingham had four years to run when at the request of Lord Harris he returned to Kent. Humphreys was appointed chief Kent coach at Canterbury and saw the rise of such present-day players as A. E. Fagg, D. V. P. Wright, and T. G. Evans. On all Kent grounds he was a familiar and a respected figure.

In the first World War Humphreys served in the Royal Navy and took part in the raid on Zeebrugge.

LANE-FOX, MR. EDWARD, died at Walton, Yorkshire, on October 24, aged 75. Eton XI 1891-92.

LUCAN, BRIGADIER-GENERAL, THE EARL OF, who died on April 20, aged 88, was President of M.C.C. in 1928. An officer in the Rifle Brigade during the first World War, he later entered Parliament. He succeeded to the title in 1914.

MACKENZIE, MR. ALASTAIR OSWALD MORRISON, K. C., died at Hildenborough, Kent, in September, aged 90. Loretto XI 1877-78 (possibly earlier). Oxford rugby XV 1880-81, unable to play 1882 through an accident. Golf for Oxford v. Cambridge 1880 and 1882.

MARRIOTT, MR. HAROLD HENRY, died in London after a heart attack November 15, aged 74. Malvern XI 1893-94. Played for Leicestershire 1894-1902 and four times for Cambridge, his best effort against Oxford being 50 in 1897. Toured America with F. Mitchell's team in 1895 and P. F. Warner's in 1897.

MITCHELL, MR. ROBERT HENRY died at Cuckfield, Sussex, April 20 aged 74. He played in the Eton XI 1892-93 and on going to Balliol College, Oxford, appeared in the Freshmen's Match, 1894. Played golf against Cambridge, 1894-96, and was captain the last two years.

MOUNSEY, JOSEPH THOMAS, who died at Godalming, April 6, aged 77, played in 108 matches for Yorkshire from 1890 to 1897. A skilful batsman and medium-paced bowler he scored 2,357 runs, average 16.71 and took 19 wickets at 30.63 each. From 1899 he was for many years coach at Charterhouse School.

OATES, THOMAS WILLIAM, who died at his home at Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, on June 18, aged 73, gave Nottinghamshire splendid service as a player for twenty-eight years, from 1897 to 1925. For some years afterwards he was the county scorer and subsequently he became a first-class umpire. In wicket-keeping Oates was directly responsible for the dismissal of 989 batsmen (756 catches and 233 stumpings), his best performance being against Middlesex at Trent Bridge in 1906 when he caught nine, six in an innings, and stumped one. Never more than an ordinary batsman, he scored 6,091 runs, average 12.08, but at times he played valuable innings, such as his highest, 88 against Kent, in 1920. Oates was chosen for Players against Gentlemen at Lord's in 1907.

OCHSE, MR. A. L., died at Middlebury, South Africa in May, aged 49. A fast bowler, he played for Eastern Province and in 1929 visited England with H. G. Deane's team. During the tour he took 52 wickets and headed the Test bowling averages with 10 wickets at a cost of 31.70 runs apiece. He played in three Test Matches, one of them against England in South Africa in 1927. He bore the leading part in the dismissal of the M.C.C. side for 49 by Eastern Province at Port Elizabeth in 1928, taking five wickets for 31 runs. This effort was not enough to bring victory, M.C.C. winning by ten wickets.

OLLIVIERRE, MR. CHARLES AUGUSTUS, died at Pontefract, West Riding, on March 25, aged 72. Born in Kingston, Jamaica, he toured England with the first West Indies team in 1900 and headed the batting averages. He and P. F. Warner, playing his only innings for the touring team, shared in an opening stand of 238 against Leicestershire. Ollivierre scored 159.

He stayed in England and qualified for Derbyshire in 1902. That year he made 167 against Warwickshire, but his most memorable innings occurred in 1904 when he was the dominating figure in a remarkable match. Percy Perrin scored 343 not out in a total of 597 for Essex at Chesterfield in July. Ollivierre responded with 229 out of 548 and after an Essex collapse for 97 he hit 92 out of 149, Derbyshire winning by nine wickets--an unprecedented performance for a side after facing so large a score in a three-day match. Never before in first-class English cricket could any team claim anything approaching such an achievement.

Because of eye trouble, he retired from first-class cricket after 1907, but took part in Yorkshire club games. From 1924 to 1939 he went each year to Holland to coach schoolboys.

OVERTON, WILLIAM, died at Paddington in August, aged 76. He played as a professional for Wiltshire in the Minor counties Competition and was one of their leading bowlers for many seasons just prior to and after world war.

PAINE, LIEUT.-COL. ALBERT INGRAHAM, C.M.G., D.S.O., died at Bledington Kingham, June 29, aged 75. He was in the Harrow XI 1891-92, but was mainly known in sport as Clerk of the Course at Worcester and for many years at Hereford, Stratford-on-Avon, Chepstow, Taunton and Ludlow.

REESE, MR. T. W., one of the best fieldsmen in New Zealand around 1900, died on April 13, aged 81. He played in twenty-two representative matches between 1887-88 and 1907-8, and appeared for Canterbury against teams from this country in 1902-3 and 1906-7. He was also a cricket author and wrote the history of New Zealand cricket from 1841 to 1933.

REID, WILLIAM H., died in January. A medium-fast bowler who played for Uddington, he was prominent in Scottish cricket during the early 1920's.

RICHARDSON, MR. CHARLES AUGUSTUS, who died at Waipara, North Canterbury, on August 17, aged 85, scored the first hundred for New Zealand in a representative match.

Born in Sydney, New South Wales, he represented that state on several occasions before going to New Zealand in 1897. Within a few days of his arrival he turned out for Wellington and, scoring 77, helped to beat Canterbury by an innings and 20 runs. In 1900 he made 133 for Wellington against Otago and shared with F. Midlane in a fourth wicket stand of 207. The same year he represented New Zealand against the Melbourne C.C. at Christchurch and stayed four hours for 114 not out.

Richardson captained New Zealand against Lord Hawke's touring team in 1903, but scored only 44 runs in four innings. His last appearance for Wellington was against M.C.C. in 1906-7.

ROLLER, MR. WILLIAM EYTON, Vice President of the Club, who played for Surrey in their great days of the'eighties when they won the Championship six years running, died at his London home on August 27, at the age of 91. He was one of the finest all-round cricketers who, going to Cambridge, was never tried for the University. A high-class batsman, free in method and having many strokes at his command, he also possessed considerable skill as a medium pace bowler with a high delivery. Born at Clapham on February 1, 1858, he was educated at Westminster and in that eleven in 1873 had the only double figure average.

Over six feet high and weighing nearly thirteen stone, he first appeared for Surrey in 1881, but although he was seen in his county's ranks in 1890, his really active career, owing to injuries and impaired health, did not extend beyond seven seasons. He established himself as a class player on the occasion of Surrey's match with Lancashire at The Oval in 1883. The Lancashire bowlers included Briggs, Crossland, Barlow, Watson and Nash, and Surrey--set 234 to make to win--lost seven wickets for 122. The game looked as good as over, but on K. J. Key--afterwards Surrey's captain--joining Roller, 56 of the 112 runs then required were obtained overnight and the remaining 56 next morning. The performance of the two young batsmen stood out as one of the best of the season. Against Sussex at The Oval in 1885 he scored 204 and did the hat-trick and in the return encounter at Brighton he made 144. In 1887 at Old Trafford, when Surrey put together a total of 557, Roller made 120 and W. W. Read 247, the two batsmen sharing in a third wicket partnership of 305. Altogether he scored 3,822 runs for the county with an average of nearly 22 and took 188 wickets for 19 runs each. Roller assisted the Gentlemen against Players twice at Lord's and once at The Oval and in 1885 and 1886 toured the United States and Canada with E. J. Sanders' team, acting as captain of the side in the latter year. In addition to his ability as a cricketer he was a fine swimmer and Association football player. Surrey members and visitors to the pavilion at The Oval will remember him by the striking portrait which hangs in the Long Room of him going out to bat.

RYDER, MR. ROWLAND VINT, who died at his home in Birmingham on September 1, aged 76, was associated with Warwickshire C.C.C. for nearly fifty years, the greater part of that time as secretary. Born at Wetherby, Yorkshire, on March 11, 1873, he spent most of his early life in Staffordshire assisting his father in a printing business and the production of a local newspaper. When twenty he twice appeared for Staffordshire and he played a good deal of club cricket before, in 1895, he became assistant secretary to Warwickshire. Seven or eight years later he succeeded Mr. William Ansell in the secretaryship, a position he held till he retired in 1944. His efforts on behalf of cricket in general and of the interests of the county club in particular were indefatigable. It was upon his proposal that, in 1920, the starting days for all county matches were changed from Mondays and Thursdays to Saturdays and Wednesdays. When the finances of the county club became very precarious, he organised special appeals in 1903 and 1924 which realised over £3,000 and in 1906 he made a personal canvass of Birmingham and suburbs that resulted in an increase of 600 in membership. Besides being granted honorary life membership of Warwickshire, when he retired he received a testimonial comprising a cheque for £1,608 and an inscribed silver salver.

For the 1936 Wisden he wrote an article under the heading Trials of a County Secretary in which he stated that more than two hundred players passed through the club's books during his term of office. He mentioned also an entry in the Minutes of 1897 which contained the following: It was decided that on account of the heavy expenses already incurred in connection with next year's ground staff an engagement could not be offered W. Rhodes, of Huddersfield.

SANDWITH, REV. WILLIAM FITZGERLD GAMBIER, died at Littlestone on November 25, aged 87. He was in the Westminster XI 1897-80, played for Radnor county 1887-88 and for Norfolk. Gained his Oxford Association Blue in 1882-83. Rector of St. Bartholomew-the-Great, 1907-29.

SLATER, ARCHIE G., died July 22, at Bacup, Lancs., aged 58. The son of a former Derbyshire player, he was a sound all-rounder and appeared for the same county at times from 1907 to 1933. He scored 5,982 runs at an average of 19.05, and took 502 wickets for 21.08 each. He interspersed spells in county cricket with periods during which he played in League cricket, both in the Bradford League and the Lancashire League. Although a reliable batsman, Slater will be best remembered for his steady right-hand medium-pace bowling. His last season for Derbyshire, 1932, proved his best in this direction for he claimed 106 wickets at an average of 16.07. Among several notable bowling feats he took eight wickets for 24 against West Indies for Derbyshire at Derby in 1928.

SMITH, MR. CHARLES LAWRENCE ARTHUR, who died at Henfield, Sussex, on November 22, aged 79, played for Sussex from 1898 to 1911. A son of C. H. Smith, also a Sussex cricketer, he first played for the county when captain of Brighton College. In 1906 he took over the Sussex captaincy for the remainder of the season after C. B. Fry was hurt in the second game, and also led the side in the 1909 season. A sound right-hand batsman, he scored 5,778 runs, average 19.72, for Sussex.

SMITH, DOUGLAS, who died at Grahamstown, South Africa, on August 16, aged 75, made a few appearances for Somerset and Worcestershire and also played for Glamorgan, then a second-class county, from 1895 to 1904. In first-class cricket he scored 556 runs, averaging 11.12.

SWIFT, REV. JOHN MCINTOSH, died suddenly at Bexhill-on-Sea on April 25, aged 63. A well-known cricketer in the Liverpool district he played for Cheshire and Lancashire 2nd XI's. He was vicar of St. Augustine's, Bexhill, at the time of his death.

THORPE, MR. JAMES, died at Newton Abbot on February 22, aged 73. He played for Essex Club and Ground and for Hertfordshire, He also acted as secretary for Herts. Mr. Thorpe was an artist, illustrator and author of a number of publications, including A Cricket Bag.

TRASK, MR. WILLIAM, died at Frome, June 24, aged 89. Learning his cricket at Sherborne where he was in the XI in 1877, he played intermittently for Somerset from 1882 to 1900. Standing nearly six feet and weighing 12 st. 7 lb., he was a steady batsman and reliable slow bowler. While bowling at Wells in 1879, he dislocated a knee.

VASSALL, MR. HENRY HOLLAND, died at Over Stowey, Somerset, on October 18, aged 62. A retired Civil Servant from Kenya, he was in the Bedford Grammar School XI, 1906, and the Oxford Rugby XV, 1906-8. Played for England against Ireland in 1908.

WALDEN, FRED, popularly known to cricket and soccer enthusiasts as Fanny, died at Northampton in May 3 at the age of 61. As a first-class cricketer for Northamptonshire, a Test Match umpire and an England footballer, Walden was a remarkable figure; he stood only five feet two inches high, but proved himself a skilful batsman, a right-winger of uncanny dribbling powers, and an umpire of repute. A native of Wellingborough, Walden, who was born on March 1, 1888, played for Northamptonshire between 1910 and 1929. At times, considering his lack of inches, he hit with surprising strength, and he scored several fine centuries. As befitted a footballer, he excelled in the field and few surpassed him as a cover-point. Altogether he scored 7,462 runs, average 18.74 took 114 wickets costing 37.03 each, and held 126 catches. After his playing career ended, Walden was put on the first-class umpires' list. He soon earned recognition, and stood in several tests, including the historic encounter between England and Australia at The Oval in 1938 when Hutton made the world record Test score of 364. Walden was known in the cricket world before the last war as much by the peculiar touring car in which he travelled from ground to ground as by his small stature. He shared in the triumphs of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after the first world war--although injury prevented his appearance in the F.A. Cup Final of 1921--and he gained caps against Scotland in 1914 and Wales in 1922. Before and after assisting Tottenham, he helped Northampton Town F.C.

WARSOP, MR. WALTER, the cricket-bat maker, died at his home at Little Baddow, Essex, towards the end of December, aged 77. He learned his craft in his father's business close to Lord's at St. John's Wood, and the bats, besides being extensively used in England, were sent to Australia, New Zealand, India, Ceylon, all parts of Africa, Canada and West Indies. Mr. Warsop was himself a keen club cricketer and when over 70 he played through one season with Little Baddow. Opponents allowed him a runner and he had an average of 16.

WATTS, GEORGE HERBERT, a former Surrey and Cambridgeshire wicket-keeper, died at Cambridge on April 22, aged 82. Watts retained a connection with Cambridge University for much of his life, for he was born in the pavilion at Fenner's where his father, Weller Watts, was groundsman. After his retirement from play he acted as University umpire. Although he played very little for Surrey, Watts did very well for Cambridgeshire as wicket-keeper, hard-hitting batsman and fast bowler. In 1899 he scored 212 for Cambridgeshire against M.C.C. at Cambridge.

WEAVER, MR. FREDERICK CHARLES, who died at Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire, on December 29, aged 70, was very prominent in West Country club cricket, scoring over 35,000 runs and taking more than 5,000 wickets. Three times he won the Gully bat for the best record in club cricket. He played in a few matches for Gloucestershire when G. L. Jessop succeeded W. G. Grace as captain, doing little, though in 1900 he appears in the averages at the head of the county bowling with eight wickets at 16.75 each; but in four innings he scored only four runs: C. J. Kortright at Leyton dismissed him for a brace of ducks.

WEBB, LIEUT.-COL. HENRY LUMLEY, who died at Sittingbourne, Kent, on November 15, aged 89, played for Winchester in 1878.

WIGRAM, GENERAL SIR KENNETH, G.C.B., C.S.I., C.B.E., D.S.O., died in London on July 11, aged 73. A member of the Winchester XI of 1893.

WILLETT, MR. BERNARD HASTINGS, died at Godalming on March 14, aged 68. He was in the Westminster School XI, 1897-99 and he played in the Oxford Freshmen's Match, 1900. An Oxford Association Blue, 1901, he assisted Corinthian F.C. and was for over forty years an assistant master at Charterhouse School.

WILSON, MR. CHARLES, died as the result of an accident while hunting on January 14, aged 53. For some years he captained Lincolnshire and was President of the County Club from November 1948. Master of the Burton Hunt of Elleron Lodge, Pickering, Yorkshire.

WILSON, MR. KENNETH PLUMPTON, died in London on May 18, aged 87. Rossall XI 1878-80, captain last two years. Assistant and House master at Fettes School, 1884-1925. Late of Crowthorne, Bucks.

WORSLEY, MR. FRANCIS, died in a London hospital on September 15. He was best known as producer of the radio variety programme Itma, but in his younger days he played cricket for Glamorgan during seasons 1922 and 1923, and always retained his love for the game. Worsley was educated at Brighton College and Oxford and formerly held a scholastic appointment.


FOLEY, MR. HARRY, died in Brisbane on October 16, 1948, at the age of 42. Born in Wellington, Foley went to Wellington College and in 1923 he joined the staff of the Commercial Bank of Australia. He continued his studies at Victoria College and obtained his B.A. and B.Com. degrees. As a cricketer he developed into an exceedingly good left-hand opening batsman with limitless patience and there were few better slip fieldsmen. He played many fine innings for Wellington in 1931-37 and represented New Zealand in the first Test against the 1929-30 M.C.C. team at Christchurch. He probably would have played more regularly for his country had he not suffered from ill-health.

FREEMAN, MR. E., died at Bath on November 30. A fast bowler and aggressive batsman, he made one appearance for Somerset in 1905.

MILES, MR. EUSTACE, died in London, December 20, aged 80. He was in the Marlborough XI of 1887 and on going to Cambridge excelled at rackets and tennis.

PAISH, A., died August 15. Playing for Gloucestershire C.C.C. from 1898 to 1903, this short, sturdily built, slow left-arm bowler, possessed an easy action and for the County took 364 wickets at an average cost of 23.65. His best year was 1899 when he captured 125 wickets, average 18.93. He scored 967 runs. Paish was born in 1874.

RANJI, L., who died at Rajkot on December 20, following a long illness, was an elder brother of the late Lala Amarsingh. As a fast bowler he achieved considerable success for the Hindus in the Bombay Quadrangular tournament and he made one Test appearance against D. R. Jardine's side in the contest at Bombay, December 1932. Six years later he came to England with a Rajputana team. He took 96 wickets in all first-class matches during his career.

SMITH, HAYDON ARTHUR, died at his birthplace, Groby, four-and-a-half miles from Leicester, on August 7 from heart failure, aged 47. A tall right-arm fast bowler, he made the fullest use of his height, and besides causing the ball to move either way he was quick off the pitch. After assisting Ratby Town in the South Leicestershire League, he was recommended to the county by W. Shipman and made his debut in first-class cricket in 1925. He took 1,076 wickets, average 25.90, and scored 4,603 runs. His best year was 1935 when he obtained 150 wickets, costing 19 runs apiece. One of his finest performances occurred in 1934 when he took six Yorkshire wickets for 39 and Leicestershire gained their first victory over the northerners for twenty-three years. In his early days he showed promise as an unorthodox batsman, but on changing his style, he met with less success, and so he decided to concentrate on bowling, although he remained a useful hitter. Later Smith became coach and groundsman at Ashby Grammar School.

WARBURTON, FREDERICK, who died on November 29, aged 65, was a well known coach in Holland from 1912. He played Association football for Bolton Wanderers and Plymouth Argyle and most of his early cricket was in the Lancashire League. He became coach to The Hague Club in 1913 and helped to produce many splendid cricketers. He was also a football coach.


PARK, DR. ROY L., who died on January 24, 1947, aged 54, scored 2,714 runs, average 40.54, for Victoria. In the season 1919-20 he averaged 83.71, with aggregate 586 and highest score 228 in the Sheffield Shield Competition revived after the war. Only New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia competed and Park was described as the best batsman in Australia. In 1921 at Melbourne in his only Test match against England he was bowled first ball by H. Howell. He was father-in-law of Ian Johnson of the 1948 Australian team in England.

© John Wisden & Co