Obituaries in 1961

ANDERSON, MR. JOE, who died on June 10, aged 83, was an opening batsman for Perthshire and Scotland. He appeared against the Australians in 1909 and 1912 and against Ireland in 1909 and 1910.

BARLOW, MR. ANDREW NICHOLAS, who died in Melbourne on July 13, aged 62, umpired Test and other first-class cricket matches in Australia for over twenty years.

BRIAN, MR. JOHN HEATHER, who died in Hobart on June 21, aged 56, was an outstanding Tasmanian player at cricket, football, golf and lawn-tennis. He opened the Tasmania innings in both matches against the West Indies touring team of 1930-31.

CATTERALL, MR. ROBERT HECTOR, who died in Johannesburg on January 2, aged 60, played as a right-handed batsman in 24 Test matches for South Africa against England between 1922 and 1930. In 43 Test innings he scored 1,555 runs, including three centuries, average 37.92. He toured England as a middle-order batsman in 1924, heading the South Africa Test averages with 471 runs, average 67.28. He hit 120 against England at Edgbaston when South Africa, having been dismissed for 30 by A. E. R. Gilligan and M. W. Tate, bowling unchanged, put altogether a total of 390 in the second innings without avoiding defeat. In the Lord's Test he also scored 120 and at The Oval was dismissed for 95. Though he was never a good starter, his batting was delightfully free, being marked by beautiful driving and strong hitting to leg. Five years later he visited England again, this time as an opening batsman of much less attractive style. Again he did well in the Test matches, especially at Edgbaston where he played innings of 67 and 98 and shared in first-wicket partnerships of 119 and 171 with B. Mitchell. This crinkly-haired Rhodesian was also a fleet-footed and efficient deep fieldsman.

CHAPMAN, MR. ARTHUR PERCY FRANK, who died in Alton Hospital, Hampshire, on September 16, aged 61, will always be remembered as a player who brought to cricket a light-hearted air seldom encountered in these days and as an England captain of great personal charm who got the best out of the men under him. He had been in ill health for some years. As a tall, polished left-handed batsman who, excelling in the off-drive and leg-side strokes, was 31.97, in a first-class career dating from 1920 to 1939. Of his 27 centuries, the highest and certainly one of the best was 260 for Kent against Lancashire, that season's Champions, at Maidstone in 1927. The position when he went in was far from encouraging, half the side being out for 70 runs. Yet he and G. B. Legge (101) assailed an attack including such men as E. A. McDonald, the Australian fast bowler, Richard Tyldesley and F. M. Sibbles with such vigour that in two and a half hours they put on 284 runs. Percy Chapman's 260, scored in just over three hours and containing five 6's and thirty-two 4's, typified his outlook on the game. A defensive policy was abhorrent to his nature. Whether batting or fielding, and besides being a punishing though never reckless hitter, he made a name as a silly point, cover or slip of amazing speed and brilliancy.

Born at Reading, Berkshire, he was in the Uppingham eleven for four years from 1916 to 1919, being captain in the last two, and soon attracted attention with splendid performances. In 1917 he headed the school batting figures with 668 runs in 10 innings and an average of 111.33. After an indifferent start to the season, he wound up with 66, 206, 160, 81 and 114 in five innings, being not out on four occasions and run out on the other! In those days, too, he met with success as a bowler, first slow left-arm and then fast-medium. Not surprisingly, especially as he took 118 from the Essex bowling at Fenner's on his first-class debut, he gained his Blue as a Freshman at Cambridge in 1920, scoring 27 against Oxford and being chosen for the Gentlemen at Lord's. Against Oxford in 1921 he obtained 45 and next season helped Cambridge to a handsome victory with a scintillating innings of 102 not out. In this latter season he took part in that famous match at Eastbourne where an England XI defeated Warwick Armstrong's hitherto unbeaten Australians by 28 runs, justifying the assertion of A. C. MacLaren, maintained throughout the summer, that he could pick a side good enough to overcome the touring team.

Chapman played with distinction for Berkshire before qualifying for Kent in 1924, and he became one of the few players to appear for England while taking part in Minor Counties' cricket. He turned out for England 26 times in all, 17 of them as captain, in which role he was only twice on the losing side. Twice he went to Australia, under A. E. R. Gilligan in 1924-25 and as leader of the 1928 side who, regarded as probably the best in fielding ever sent out, won the Test rubber by four wins to one. Though he played several good innings for his country, sharing stands of 116 with E. Hendren in 1926 and 125 with G. O. Allen in 1930, both at Lord's against Australia, he only once scored a century in a Test match. Then, in hitting 121 against Australia at Lord's in 1930, he achieved a riple performance never before accomplished, for on the same ground he had previously reached three figures in both the University and--in 1922--the Gentlemen v. Players match, a fixture in which he figured 19 times. He captained Kent from 1931 to 1936.

Tributes included:

S. C. Griffith, Assistant-Secretary, M.C.C.: I will always remember him for his debonair and aggressive approach to the game and as a great fielder.

Sir John Hobbs: I well remember the surprise caused by the appointment of Percy Chapman as the England captain for the final Test against Australia at The Oval in 1926. He was only 25 and all the team liked him. He was not a disciplinarian like his predecessors and he did not hesitate to seek advice. He often talked to me about tactics on the field and he set a great example by his brilliant catching in the slips. The Australian crowds loved him during the tour of 1928-29, when he made us a happy team.

G. Duckworth, former Lancashire and England wicket-keeper: He was a most delightful gentleman and an ideal captain. He had such a persuasive charm as a leader that you could not help trying your utmost for him.

W. J. Fairservice, former Kent player: Percy Chapman and Frank Woolley, two left-handers, were two of the greatest cricketers in the game.

DE MELLO, MR. ANTHONY STANISLAUS, who died at New Delhi on May 24, aged 61, was at his request buried wearing the colours of the M.C.C., of which he was very proud to be a member. Though he did not get a Blue while at Cambridge, he did much to develop cricket in India, bearing a major part in the formation of the Board of Control, of which he had been President, and the Cricket Club of India.

DENHAM, MR. ALGERNON, who died on November 6, aged 76, served for 20 years on the Yorkshire C.C.C. Committee. For several years till 1957 he was chairman of the Finance Committee.

FISHER, MR. ARTHUR H., who died in Dunedin on March 23, aged 90, was well known in New Zealand cricket circles. He joined the Carisbrook C.C. in 1887 and played for them with distinction for many years. He also rendered good service to Otago, for whom, with fast-medium left-arm bowling, he took 253 wickets, average 13.40, achieving his best performance in 1896-97 when taking nine wickets for 50 against Queensland at Dunedin. He appeared several times for New Zealand, with whom he toured Australia.

FOX, JOHN, a left-handed batsman and left-arm slow bowler who played for Warwickshire and Worcestershire, collapsed and died on a Birmingham bus on his way home from work on November 15. He was 57. Small in stature and of frail physique, Fox appeared for Warwickshire from 1922 to 1928, scoring 2,827 runs, average 17.45, and taking 31 wickets at 41.45 runs each. He assisted Worcestershire from 1929 to 1933, making 2,438 runs, average 17.06, with 73 against Northamptonshire at Worcester in 1931 the highest first-class innings of his career. He took 31 wickets for Worcestershire, average 40.00. He continued to be well known in the Midlands, as he umpired for a number of seasons in the Birmingham and District League.

GIRLING, MR. ARTHUR C., who died in hospital at Colchester on September 16, aged 59, was associated for 40 years with the Colchester and Essex C.C., being chairman for 10 years. Known locally as Mr. Cricket, he for a long period bore a major part in the organisation of the Essex County Cricket Festivals at Colchester and served on the Committee of the County Club.

HANHAM, CLAUDE STANLEY, who died on May 13, aged 85, was Gloucestershire C.C.C. head groundman for 45 years till failing sight caused him to retire in 1950.

HITCHMAN, MR. EDWARD FREDERICK, who died in Ottawa on April 13, aged 87, played a big part in the organisation of cricket in Canada, where he emigrated from England at the age of 15. He took part in the game till well past 60 and was an honorary official of the Canadian C.A. and the Ontario C.A.

HUDSON, MR. JOHN LAMBERT, who died on March 16, aged 78, played in seven first-class matches for Tasmania between 1907 and 1912. A solid right-handed batsman, he scored 308 runs, average 31.80. He made his highest score, 94, against New South Wales in 1910-11, when he shared a record fourth-wicket stand of 163 with W. K. Eltham. Next season he hit 51 from an M.C.C. attack including S. F. Barnes and F. R. Foster. In domestic cricket in 1908-9, he hit 1,052 runs, average 85.63. His partnership of 348 with R. J. Hawson for South v. North Tasmania in 1910 was a record for any wicket in this fixture.

JEACOCKE, MR. ALFRED, who died in Lewisham Hospital on September 25, aged 68, rendered able service to Surrey as a right-handed batsman between 1920 and 1929. In 1921, when J. B. Hobbs, first because of an accident and then through illness, could play in only one county game, Jeacocke formed a splendid opening partner to A. Sandham, scoring in all matches 1,056 runs, average 42.24. An enterprising batsman specially strong in driving, he hit eight centuries for Surrey, the highest being 201 not out (twenty-two 4's) against Sussex at The Oval in 1922, and altogether obtained 6,228 runs, average 28.83. A capital slip fieldsman, he held 106 catches. Among his six appearances for Gentlemen against Players was that at The Oval in 1927 when A. Kennedy, of Hampshire, took all ten wickets in the Gentlemen first innings at a cost of 37 runs. His first-class cricket in 1922 came to an abrupt end when Wisden records: Jeacocke... dropped out of the team in August under circumstances that gave rise to some friction and discussion, the M.C.C. ruling, after an enquiry asked for by Kent, that his qualification was not valid. The reason was that the house where he lived came within the boundary of Kent; the other side of the road was in the county of Surrey! From 1929 onwards, Jeacocke confined his activities to club cricket, chiefly with Forest Hill.

KORTLANG, MR. BERT J., who died in Western Australia on February 15, aged 80, played cricket in many parts of the world. He took part in Sheffield Shield matches for Victoria before going to New Zealand. For Wellington v. Auckland in 1925-26, he hit his highest score, 214 not out. In 1923-24 he played for New Zealand against New South Wales.

LAMASON, MR. JOHN RYDER, who died on June 25, aged 55, was a member of the New Zealand team which visited England in 1937. He failed to produce the batting form he showed for Wellington, whom he captained, and did not play in any of the three Test matches. He scored 395 runs, average 15.80, his highest innings being 71 against Somerset at Taunton, where he shared in a stand of 160 with M. W. Wallace (115) for the fourth wicket. As a loose forward, he also captained Wellington at Rugby football. His wife, Ina, represented Wellington and New Zealand at cricket and hockey.

LEE KOW, MR. ERIC NICHOLAS, who died at Port of Spain, Trinidad, on April 7, aged 49, was one of the best-known umpires in the West Indies. He officiated in the Second Test Match between the West Indies and England at Port of Spain in 1960 when many members of a crowd of 30,000--a record for any sporting event in the Islands--objected to a run-out decision by him and invaded the playing-area.

LORAINE, SIR PERCY LYHAM, 12th Bart., who died on May 23, aged 80, was a member of the Eton eleven of 1898, heading the bowling figures with 24 wickets, average 16.45. After a brief stay at Oxford, he saw service with the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa before joining the Diplomatic Service. Among the important posts he held was that of British Ambassador to Turkey.

LUSK, MR. HAROLD BUTLER, who died on February 14, aged 84, represented New Zealand against Melbourne C.C. in 1906 and the Australians in 1910. Making his first Plunket Shield appearance in 1899, he played for Auckland, Canterbury and Wellington before retiring in 1921. He was New Zealand golf champion in 1910.

LUTHER, MAJOR A. C. G., who died in June, aged 80, was a member of the Rugby XI in 1897 and 1898. He later played for the Army, Yorkshire Gentlemen and Sussex. He was at one time Secretary of Berkshire C.C. and assistant-secretary at The Oval. At rackets, he won the Army singles in 1911 and 1913, the Army Doubles in 1912 and 1914 and was runner-up in both the Amateur Singles and Doubles in 1907.

MCCONNEL, MAJOR-GENERAL DOUGLAS FITZGERALD, who died on February 7, aged 67, was in the Winchester XI in 1911 and also played in the Association football team of 1910-11.

MCDONALD, MR. JOHN ARCHIBALD, who died on June 4, aged 79, played in three matches for Derbyshire in 1905 and 1906.

MALTHOUSE, WILLIAM NORMAN, who died on June 4, aged 70, played in four matches for Derbyshire in 1919 and 1920. Son of Samuel Malthouse, who assisted the county between 1890 and 1895, William was a member of the Derbyshire team who, by 36 runs at Derby, inflicted upon the Australian Imperial Forces team of 1919 the one defeat suffered from a county.

MATTHEWS, FRANK CYRIL, who died at Willoughby-on-the-Wolds on January 11, aged 67, enjoyed a brief but successful career as a fast bowler for Nottinghamshire. After achieving some noteworthy performances in Army cricket when serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers during the First World War, Matthews, who stood 6 ft. 4 in., joined the staff of the County Club for whom he played from 1920 to 1926. In all matches he took 314 wickets, average 22.29. His best season was that of 1923 when he dismissed 115 batsmen in Championship engagements for 15.30 runs each and, against Northamptonshire at Trent Bridge, earned the remarkable analyses of eight wickets for 39 runs and nine for 50. When bowling A. J. B. Wright he sent a bail 41 yards. The next season at Canterbury, where he played as a last-minute replacement for F. Barratt, injured, he disposed of eight batsmen for 33 runs, Kent being all out in the first innings for 67, of which H. T. W. Hardinge obtained 35. At one point, Matthews's figures read: six wickets for one run.

MERRICK, MR. H. J., who died in August, aged 73, played in 14 matches for Gloucestershire between 1909 and 1911. His highest innings was 58 against Essex at Leyton in 1909. He was at one time a master at Clifton College.

MITCHELL, MR. HAROLD EDWARD, who died on May 23, aged 82, had been president, secretary and captain of West Bromwich Dartmouth C.C. On the Committee for 60 years, he was a playing member for 30 years.

MORRISON, MR. JOHN STANTON FLEMING, who died in Farnham Hospital on January 28, aged 68, captained Cambridge University at both cricket and Association football. He was in the cricket eleven at Charterhouse in 1910 and 1911, being captain in the second year when he headed the averages with 52.53 for 683 runs with a highest innings of 173. Going up to Cambridge, he got his Blue as a Freshman in 1912 and, after being passed over the following season, appeared again at Lord's in 1914, hitting 54 in the first innings against Oxford. He served with the Royal Naval Air Service during the First World War and returned to the University, becoming cricket captain in 1919. His best season for Cambridge was that of 1914. A strong driver, he scored 717 runs, average 35.85, hitting 233 not out against M.C.C. at Fenner's--then the biggest innings ever put together on the historic ground. The same season he made 231 in the Seniors' match. As a full-back, he represented Cambridge in 1913, 1914 and, as captain, in 1920 and he also played with distinction for the Corinthians and for Sunderland. After leaving the University, he became a golf-course architect of high repute.

NICHOLS, MORRIS STANLEY, who died on January 26, aged 60, was, in an era of a good many all-rounders, one of the best. An Essex player from 1924 to 1939, he scored 17,789 runs, average 26.39, as a left-handed batsman strong in strokes in front of the wicket and with right-arm fast bowling took 1,834 wickets for 21.66 runs apiece. Of his 20 centuries the highest was 205 against Hampshire at Southend in 1936. He was first recommended to Essex solely as a batsman, but Percy Perrin, observing his height and strong physique, encouraged him as a pace bowler. How successful this proved is shown by the fact that in each of eleven seasons Stan Nichols dismissed over 100 batsmen, his best being that of 1938 when he took 171 wickets at a cost of 19.92 runs each. He could bowl for long spells without fatigue or loss of accuracy.

He enjoyed perhaps his greatest triumph as an all-rounder in 1935 when at Huddersfield he played the leading part in the overthrow by an innings and 204 runs of Yorkshire, the ultimate Champions, whose one defeat in the competition this was. In the two innings he gained an analysis of 11 wickets for 54 runs and he hit 146. Three years later at Gloucester, he played an innings of 159 and gained full bowling figures of 15 wickets for 165 runs, his first-innings analysis being nine wickets for 37 runs in 15.2 overs. On three other occasions he took nine wickets in an innings--for 59 runs v. Hampshire at Chelmsford in 1927; for 32 runs v. Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in 1936 and for 116 runs v. Middlesex at Leyton in 1930. Twice he disposed of four batsmen in four deliveries--v. Sussex at Horsham in 1929 and v. Lancashire at Chelmsford in 1935--and he also achieved the hat-trick against Yorkshire at Leeds in 1931.

Eight times he performed the cricketers' double--five in succession from 1935 till the war ended his first-class career in 1939--a number exceeded by only four men, W. Rhodes, G. H. Hirst, V. W. C. Jupp and W. E. Astill. He played 14 times for England between 1929 and 1939, took part in M.C.C. tours of Australasia in 1929 and India in 1933, also visited Jamaica on two occasions and appeared in nine matches for Players v. Gentlemen. He played in Birmingham League cricket after the war.

As modest as he was popular, Nichols was once asked if he had found any batsman particularly difficult. He replied: Old George Gunn, I think. He used to walk down the pitch to me. I always felt a fool trying to bowl him out.

In his footballing days a useful goal-Keeper, Nichols played for Queen's Park Rangers.

OLIFF, MR. CALEB, who died at Auckland on May 21, aged 78, played for New Zealand against the Australians in 1909-10 as opening batsman and slow bowler. He appeared for Auckland for ten seasons from 1903. His best performance was against Wellington in 1913, when he took six wickets, including the hat-trick, for 62 runs in the first innings and seven for 42--the first six for three runs--in the second.

PACKE, LIEUT.-COLONEL EDMOND CHRISTOPHER, who died on April 24, aged 83, was a Vice-President of Leicestershire C.C.C. and a Deputy Lieutenant of Leicestershire. He was severely wounded in the relief of Ladysmith and in the First World War saw service in France and Belgium.

PACKER, MR. SIDNEY CHARLES, who died on January 29, aged 87, was Secretary of Leicestershire C.C.C. from 1910 to 1932. He invented the modern type of pitch-covering now in use on the majority of county grounds.

PARKER, MR. IRVINE T., who died on May 14, played for Scotland against Ireland from 1920 to 1926 and against the Australian touring teams of 1919 and 1926.

PARRY, MR. ALBERT HAROLD, who died on May 31, was for many years a member of the Committee of Northamptonshire C.C. He was chairman of the Post-War Appeal Committee and of the now defunct Finance Committee.

PEACH, HERBERT ALAN, who died on October 8, two days after his 71st birthday, was a more than useful all-rounder for Surrey from 1919 to 1931, in which period he scored 8,709 runs, average 23.61, and took 785 wickets for 26.38 runs each. His best season as a strong-hitting batsman was that of 1920 when he hit 913 runs, including 200 not out against Northamptonshire at Northampton. On that occasion he shared a sixth-wicket stand of 171 in forty-two minutes with P. G. H. Fender, who obtained 113 not out in the same time. Against Essex at Leyton in 1925, he scored 109 in eighty-five minutes. As an untiring medium-paced bowler able to spin the ball, he did best in 1923 when his wickets numbered 83 at 23.15 apiece, and the following season he enjoyed the satisfaction of dismissing four Sussex batsmen with following balls at the Oval, finishing with an analysis of eight wickets for 60. A first-rate fieldsman in any position, he held 167 catches. While Surrey coach from 1935 to 1939 he was responsible for the discovery of the Bedser twins.

PENN, MR. FRANK, JUNIOR, who died on April 23, aged 76, played in three matches for Kent in 1904 and 1905. For Household Brigade against the Royal Artillery in 1906 he scored innings of 101 and 123 not out.

PINCH, MR. FRANK B., who died on October 9, aged 70, enjoyed the distinction of hitting 138 not out on his debut in first-class cricket for Glamorgan against Worcestershire at Swansea in 1921, the year that the Welsh county entered the Championship competition. That season he scored 321 runs, average 22.92, but he did not repeat that success in his next five years with Glamorgan.

POPE, FREDERICK, who died in May, aged 76, was father of G. H. Pope, the Derbyshire and England fast bowler and batsman. He was for many years groundman at Edgbaston, headquarters of Warwickshire.

PROTHEROE-SMITH, LIEUT.-COLONEL SIR HUGH BATEMAN, who died on November 28, aged 89, was a past-President of the Cornwall C.C.C. and of the Cornwall Cricket League. He was one of the last surviving officers who took part in the famous charge of the 21st Lancers against the Dervishes at Omdurman in 1898.

PROUD, MR. ROLAND BARTON, who died on October 27, aged 42, was a hard-hitting batsman who captained Durham County from 1948 to 1955 and was captain of Bishop Auckland. In the Winchester XI from 1936 to 1938, he was captain in the last year when he headed the batting figures with an average of 44.10. That season he hit a dashing 81 against Eton and enjoyed remarkable success during four days at Lord's, where he scored 84 and 102--out of 136 in forty-nine minutes--for The Rest v. Lord's Schools and 96 and 34 for Public Schools v. The Army. Bill Proud got his Blue as a Freshman in 1939, making 19 and 87 in the University match and helping Oxford to victory by 45 runs. He played for Hampshire on twelve occasions in 1938 and 1939.

RAIT KERR, COLONEL ROWAN SCROPE, who died on April 2, aged 69, was Secretary of the M.C.C. from 1936 to 1952. In 1947, he re-drafted the Laws of Cricket, upon which subject he was an authority, and three years later he published a guide to the Laws. At the time of his death he was chairman of the M.C.C. special committee enquiring into the future of the first-class game. He was for two years in the eleven at Rugby, scoring 7 and 54 not out against Marlborough in 1908 and 18 and 51 the following season. Subsequently, he played much Army cricket. Rait Kerr served in the Royal Engineers in the First World War, being awarded the D.S.O. and the M.C., and in the Second World War was chairman of the War Office Selection Board. He became a C.B.E. in 1946.

ROBERTS, SIR ALEXANDER FOWLER, who died in New Zeland on March 19, aged 78, was in the cricket and football teams when at Merchiston Castle School. Going up to Cambridge, he played as a forward in the University Rugby matches of 1901 and 1902, and he became a member of the Barbarian F.C.

ROBINSON, MR. GODFREY, who died in his sleep on December 19, aged 64, was in the Uppingham XI in 1915, in which year he joined the Royal Field Artillery. He was blinded in action in France in 1917, being awarded the Military Cross. He was chairman of the Royal National Institute for the Blind.

RUSSELL, ALBERT CHARLES, who died in Whipps Cross Hospital on March 23, aged 73, was the first English batsman to hit a century in each innings of a Test match. This he did against South Africa at Durban in 1923 when he scored 140 and 111 and played a leading part in England's rubber-winning victory by 109 runs. The performance was the more remarkable because Jack Russell, as he was generally known, had,Wisden recorded at the time, to battle against illness; when he started his second innings he ought to have been in bed rather than on the cricket field.

Son of Tom Russell, for many years Essex wicket-keeper, Jack was born near the county ground at Leyton. He assisted Essex from 1908 to 1930 and in all matches during that time he scored 27,546 runs, including 71 centuries, average 41.73, obtained 285 wickets with slow bowling for 27.17 runs each and brought off 292 catches, principally in the slips, where he excelled. A master of on-side strokes, he occasionally drove well to the off and, though not specially attractive to watch, he became, once he established himself in the Essex eleven in 1913, one of the most dependable batsmen in the game. Thirteen times he exceeded 1,000 runs in a season and five times, in 1920, 1921, 1922, 1925 and 1928, passed 2,000. His best year was 1922, when he put together an aggregate of 2,575--the highest of all batsmen--including nine centuries, for an average of 54.78.

His highest innings was 273 against Northamptonshire at Leyton in 1921, but that which he considered his best was in the previous summer at Lord's against Middlesex, that season's Champions, when he hit 197 and he and L. C. Eastman added 175 for the ninth wicket after eight men had been dismissed for 184. Besides his Test match feat, he twice scored two separate hundreds in a match for Essex--115 and 118 v. Surrey at The Oval in 1922 and 131 and 104 v. Lancashire at Liverpool in 1928--and he enjoyed the distinction of hitting centuries against every first-class county, Australia, South Africa and the West Indies. Twice for his county he shared in a three-figure opening partnership in each innings of a game, 191 and 104 with F. Loveday v. Lancashire at Leyton in 1921 and 122 and 140 with the Rev. F. H. Gillingham v. Surrey at The Oval in 1927. Russell took part in sixteen stands of 200 or more for Essex, the biggest being 263 with D. F. Pope against Sussex at Hove in 1930.

Russell played ten times for England, scoring 135 not out in his first against Australia at Adelaide in 1920; 101 at Manchester and 102 not out at The Oval during the disastrous Test series of 1921. In five appearances for Players against Gentlemen, his largest and best innings was 162 at Lord's in 1922. First a coach and then a groundman following his retirement from first-class cricket, he was among those professional players granted honorary membership of the M.C.C.

RUSSELL, MR. ALFRED ISAAC, who died on August 20, aged 94, played as wicket-keeper and batsman for Hampshire before they acquired first-class status. For over 70 years, 50 of them as chairman, he was associated with the Deanery C.C., whom he had captained. He liked to relate how once he caught an Essex batsman behind the wicket, threw the ball into the air and loudly appealed. Not out, said the umpire. I won't be rushed.

SCHILIZZI, MR. STEPHEN, who died on July 18, aged 89, was President of Northamptonshire C.C.C. from 1929 to 1938. A millionaire and an old Harrovian, he did much to finance the club in the years between the two Great Wars.

SCOTT MR. O. C., who died at Kingston, Jamaica, on June 16, aged 67, played for Jamaica and in eight Test matches for the West Indies. A batsman and slow leg-break bowler, Tommy Scott toured England in 1928, playing in two Test matches. When visiting Australia in 1930-31, he took part in all five Tests and in the first at Adelaide he finished the Australian innings by dismissing four batsmen in nine deliveries without cost. In first-class cricket he scored 1,322 runs, average 22.40, and took 203 wickets for 28.70 runs each.

SHEPLEY-SMITH, MR. ARTHUR MICHAEL, who died on September 28, aged 53, was better known to most people as Michael Shepley, the West End actor. An opening batsman, he was in the Westminster XI from 1923 to 1926, being captain in the last year. In 1925 he headed the batting averages with 33.11, his best score being 88 for which he carried his bat through the innings against Malvern. He took part in the Oxford Freshmen's match of 1927.

SOLBE, MR. EDWARD PHILLIP, who died at West Bridgford, Nottingham, on December 28 was a prominent schoolboy batsman during the First World War and he made a few appearances for Kent between 1921 and 1924, scoring 321 of 1908 when, as the most consistent of the county's batsmen, he scored 1,282 runs, average 28.48, and helped Yorkshire to win the County Championship without suffering defeat. Though he hit only one first-class century, 103 against Sussex at Sheffield in 1909, he twice narrowly missed the distinction, reaching 99 at Leicester in 1908 and 95 not out at Nottingham in 1910. From 1910 to 1953, when he retired, he was professional with Mitchells and Butlers of Birmingham.

WRIGHT, JAMES, who died on August 20, aged 88, played in seven matches for Derbyshire between 1898 and 1905. His highest innings was 53 not out against Hampshire at Southampton in the first season.


BRISSENDEN, MR. STANLEY, who died at Johannesburg on November 19, aged 50, formerly played as a fast bowler for Transvaal, whom he also represented at baseball.

HOWARD, MR. H. C., who died on September 18, was at one time a fine opening batsman for Western Australia, of whose Cricket Association he became a vice-president. In 1908 at Perth, Tim Howard and H. Rowe shared a first-wicket stand of 175 against the M.C.C. touring team, then a record for the State.

FORMAN, MR. FREDERICK GERALD, whose death was recorded in the 1961 edition was inadvertently stated to be Mr. Frank Gerald.

© John Wisden & Co