Obituaries in 1941

BAILY, MR. EDWARD PETER, died at Tupsley, Hereford, on January 21, aged 89. A very good wicket-keeper and useful batsman, he played in the Harrow XI from 1869 to 1871, finishing as captain, and was in the Cambridge XI 1872 and 1874. One of his best performances was against Eton at Lord's in 1870, when he scored 76. He appeared once for Middlesex in 1872 and for Somerset in 1881. He rowed in the Cambridge trial Eights in 1873 and did not keep his place in the cricket eleven that year.

BERESFORD, MR. RICHARD AUGUSTUS AGINCOURT, who died at Derby on July 12, aged 71, scored heavily in school and club cricket, but just failed to get his Blue at Cambridge in 1890, and next season he received a less extended trial. S. M. J. Woods and Gregor MacGregor were the captains of very strong elevens in those years. He played for Northamptonshire under the birth qualification, and also for Norfolk. When at Oundle he accomplished an extraordinary performance in scoring 102 not out and 307 not out for School House v. Laxton House in May 1888, besides dismissing seven men in an innings. Next month he hit up 225 for the School against The Past and again was not out. He captained the Oundle XI in 1887 and 1888 and was in every way a good cricketer, his fast bowling getting many wickets. A capable athlete, he twice appeared at Queen's Club in the University Sports, being second in Putting the Weight, with 34 ft. 8½ in. in 1891, and third next year with 34 ft. 11 in.

BIDDLE, MR. LYNFORD, died at Philadelphia, his birthplace, on January 24, aged 65. A capable left-handed batsman, he visited England with the Gentlemen of Philadelphia in 1897, but, though averaging 13.54, his highest innings was 30 not out. At home in 1893 he made 102 for Philadelphia Summer XI against Wayne and 117 not out for Germanstown against Y.M.C.A. Very safe in defence, he often withstood a strong attack with marked patience, and he could hit hard.

BROMLEY-MARTIN, MR. GRANVILLE EDWARD, died at Hassocks, Sussex, on May 31, aged 65. Getting into the Eton XI in 1892, he was captain in the next two years, and played for Oxford in 1897 and 1898. A very good batsman, free and stylish in stroke play, he finished at Eton top of the averages with 38.80, but his best score in the big matches was 68 against Harrow when first playing at Lord's. Neither did he do much against Cambridge, but at Hove in 1897 he scored 137 for Oxford against Sussex. He played a good deal for Worcestershire, and in 1899, when his county was promoted to first-class rank, he made 129 in the Derbyshire match at Worcester. He and H. K. Foster added 207 in two hours. His innings finished in a curious way. A piece of his bat broke off in playing Hancock and the ball went almost straight up. L. G. Wright dashed in from point and just held the catch. A week later at Southampton he had a very different experience; the first ball he received in each innings proved fatal, C. Heseltine, the fast bowler, twice beating him completely.

CASE, MR. THOMAS BENNETT, died near Dublin on November 10, in his seventieth year. In his third year in the Winchester XI, when captain, he scored 61 and 31 against Eton, going in first and literally leading his side to victory by 114 runs. Because of an accident to the Hon. F. J. N. Thesiger, Case completed the Oxford XI in 1891, when Cambridge won by two wickets; next year he was not out with Lionel Palairet, whose 71 was largely responsible for Oxford's victory by five wickets. M. R. Jardine did still more towards the triumph, making 140 and 39. Case scored 29 on the first day, giving useful help to Jardine and V. T. Hill. The match aroused great interest. The aggregate runs, 1,100, far exceeded any previous scoring in the University encounter; Jardine's 179 runs beat the total credited to any batsman hitherto; Cambridge in their follow-on equalled the record total of 388 made in 1872 by the Light Blues, and E. C. Streatfeild hit the third century in the match. Also J. B. Wood, a lob bowler, opened the Oxford attack and, with seven wickets in the two Cambridge innings, was surpassed in this game only by F. S. Jackson, who took eight Oxford wickets.

CHIDGEY, HARRY, who died in November at his birthplace, Flax Bourton, aged 62, occupies a special place in Somerset cricket as the one professional intervening in a long reign of amateur wicket-keepers. A. E. Newton, the Rev. A. P. Wickham and H. Martyn shared the duty from 1891 to 1908, when Chidgey came to the front six years after playing once for the County as an amateur at Bath. Until the last war he lightened the work still undertaken by Newton whenever possible, and he resumed in 1919. Two years later Chidgey recorded a batting average which seldom can have had a parallel. Playing twelve innings he made 48 runs, with a highest score of 18, but ten not outs gave him an average of 24: His best score for Somerset was 45 in 1909 against Yorkshire at Bath. Sent in late on the Tuesday evening, he stayed altogether 85 minutes with Len Braund and so helped Somerset draw the match very creditably. That season he averaged 13.33 for 120 runs in 15 innings, with six not outs. After the war M. D. Lyon maintained the Somerset tradition of amateur keepers. Chidgey ranks high in this art among all the Somerset talent. He made 120 catches and stumped 50 batsmen, figures that place him for the County next to A. E. Newton, who held 250 catches and stumped 112 men. Rather small, quick and neat, Chidgey was a good keeper. He was given a place in his local club team when fourteen and was honorary secretary when the present war broke out. As a member of the Long Ashton Urban District Council he enjoyed much popularity.

COLE, MR. FREDERICK LIVESAY, an occasional wicket-keeper for Gloucestershire from 1879, when he first appeared at Lord's, died at Sheffield on July 1. While he would be a useful cricketer to pass muster with W. G. Grace as captain, a more interesting point that his prowess behind the stumps concerns his age. In Scores and Biographies the date of his birth is given as October 4, 1856. This tallied with Wisden until 1934, when the year was altered to 1842--a possible misprint due to re-setting Births and Deaths. Yorkshire papers described how he joined the Federal Army when 19 and served four years under Generals McClellan and Phil Sheridan; also that during the Franco-Prussian war he was in the siege of Paris and that he was with Sir Archibald Forbes, the war correspondent, in the Russo-Turkish war before being invalided home in 1876. Inquiries at the Bristol Grammar school, where he was said to have been educated, failed to trace him, neither can any mention of his name between 1837 and 1887 be found in the Registers of the Yeovil district, though his birth-place was recorded at Ilminster, together with the date, at the time of his first match at Lord's.

In response to a question in the Bristol Evening Post, Mr. Harry Wookey wrote that he played with Fred Cole for Schoolmasters against Bath Association in 1880, when I was only 17 years of age. Fred Cole was born on October 4, 1856. Another Bristol cricketer confirmed that opinion. Yet it was asserted in the Yorkshire papers that he was 90 when he retired from the Sheffield Gas Company, though no one knew his exact age and thought he was 60: George, one of the centenarian brothers, could not be traced in Bristol.

Fred Cole made plenty of runs in club cricket and H. E. Roslyn, of the Gloucestershire County Committee, recalls that Fred Cole scored the first hundred ever made on our county ground and I kept wicket while he did so--that was the year before the formal opening in 1889.

CURSHAM, MR. HENRY ALFRED, who died on August 6, aged 81 earned chief fame in sport at Association football in the Notts County eleven and for England in the early eighties; but he was a good cricketer and, during a long career with Notts Amateur C.C., twice appeared for the County. Against Surrey in 1880 William Gunn also was taking his first trial in the side; a small-scoring match was drawn. In 1904, when A. O. Jones rested, Cursham captained the County against South Africans in a very different kind of game. He scored 12 and 25 not out in totals of 320 and 242, but Notts were weak and suffered defeat by an innings and 49 runs. Cursham was on the Nottinghamshire Club Committee for several years.

DILLON, MR. EDWARD WENTWORTH, whose death at the age of 60 occurred on April 26, was a brilliant left-handed batsman when at Rugby and Oxford University before doing splendid service for Kent, his county experiences extending altogether from 1900 to 1913. He practically finished his county career by his leading Kent to the championship, so repeating an achievement which stood to his name in 1909 and 1910. In this way Dillon surpassed the efforts of any of his Kent predecessors. In fact, not until C. H. B. Marsham succeeded J. R. Mason--an outstanding personality in the game for several years--did Kent first secure the honours in 1906. Yet Mason resumed as leader for the last month of the 1909 season, when Dillon stopped playing for business reasons--often a preventive of continuous cricket for him. These great cricketers had with them K. L. Hutchings--a superb batsman and fieldsman--the brothers S. H. and A. P. Day, Frank Woolley, Humphreys, Colin Blythe--taker of 178 wickets at 14 runs apiece--Arthur Fielder, Fred Huish and D. W. Carr.

Dillon earned early fame by heading the Rugby averages in 1899 and 1900, the second time with 56.36 for 620 runs and a highest innings of 157. He made 110 not out when 190 were hit off in two hours at Lord's and Marlborough were beaten by nine wickets within fifteen minutes of time. He also took six wickets for 84 runs with his slow left-hand bowling. Described in Wisden as the best school batsman of the year having also covered himself with glory for Kent--his average was 36.50 in eight innings-- Dillon maintained his form and seldom disappointed his side when returning to the game after an interval with little practice. A notable example of this was at the Oval in 1913 when he scored 135 in a vain attempt to save his county from defeat.

When he got his Blue as a freshman the University match was drawn, and his best effort was 143 against Somerset when Oxford were hopelessly placed. He proved very useful for Kent, being second in the averages to Mason, with 103 not out his highest score. Despite his fine displays for 85 and 59, Oxford lost at Lord's next year, S. H. Day, his Kent colleague, batting grandly for 117 not out and helping largely towards the Cambridge triumph. After being the chief batsman at Oxford in his second year, Dillon went into business and gave his spells of leisure to Kent cricket. His best years were 1905, average 48.51, and 1906, average 43.23, and he played many of his highest innings as opening batsman. The powerful Yorkshire attack suffered from Dillon's onslaught at Dewsbury in 1910, a grandly hit 138 starting Kent on the road to victory by nine wickets. In the return at Maidstone his vigorous 49 paved the way for a triumph by 178; Colin Blythe and Woolley bowled unchanged in both Yorkshire innings. Altogether in first-class cricket Dillon scored 10,353 runs, average 28.20.

Very free in style, Dillon used his long reach to the best advantage. Going in to meet the ball, he drove straight and to the off with great power and placed his forcing strokes skilfully. He made two tours abroad--to West Indies with B. J. T. Bosanquet's side in 1902 and next year with the Kent team to America.

Dillon took the highest honours in Rugby football. Developing into a splendid three-quarter when playing for Blackheath, he was capped against Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 1904 and next season against Wales.

DOULTON, MR. HUBERT VICTOR, died at Esher on March 2, aged 77. A very useful player in the Dulwich College XI, 1881, 1882, he showed good form at Oxford, but, though tried in the Seniors match in 1884, he could not find a place in the very strong University side which beat Cambridge that year by seven wickets. He maintained his association with Dulwich College during forty years as a master.

EASTMAN, LAWRENCE C., the Essex all-rounder, who was born at Enfield, died in Harefield Sanatorium on April 17, following an operation, at the age of 43. His end was hastened through a high-explosive bomb bursting close to him while he was performing his duties as an A.R.P. warden. This caused him severe shock.

For many years Eastman did not enjoy the best of health, otherwise there can be no doubt he would have been seen to much greater advantage on the cricket field. He intended to take up medicine as a profession, but the Great War, in which he won the D.C.M. and M.M., forced him to give up the idea, and he became interested in cricket. Those great Essex stalwarts, J. W. H. T. Douglas, Percy Perrin, Charles McGahey, A. C. Russell and Bob Carpenter, helped in his development. Eastman began playing for the Country as an amateur and, in his first match, against Gloucestershire at Bristol in 1920, he took three wickets in four balls. Next he appeared at Lord's, and going in number ten when Russell had hit 100, he scored 91, the pair adding 175 before stumps were drawn for the day. In 1922 Eastman was appointed Assistant-Secretary at Leyton and became a regular member of the County team. He gave up the position in 1926 and turned professional.

Standing six feet, he was a natural hitter and proved most successful when opening the innings. Indeed, in 1925 against Lancashire at Leyton, he and Cutmore made opening stands of 115 and 172. Eastman never hesitated to use the straight drive, which, beautifully executed, often earned him six, and he also hooked well. In his early days he bowled medium pace, but served Essex best when he changed to spin; he could turn the ball each way and was particularly deadly with the leg-break. He naively remarked that he gained more pleasure from slow bowling and delighted in pitting his brains against batsmen with flight and spin instead of relying solely on pace and swerve. Against Somerset at Weston-super-Mare in 1934 his first-innings analysis was four wickets for no run, when he dismissed A. W. Willard, R. A. Ingle, G. M. Bennett and H. L. Hazell in 13 deliveries and ended the innings.

Altogether in first-class cricket Eastman scored 12,481 runs and took 967 Wickets. His highest score was 161 at Derby in 1929, but he considered his best performances was against Sussex at Leyton in 1922, when, besides taking twelve wickets for 82 runs, he went in last but one and made 37 not out.

Eastman used to say that he had batted in every position except number eleven; but curiously enough, in his benefit match with Middlesex at Southland in 1939, which realised £1,200, he was lamed by water on the knee and so compelled to go in last; otherwise Essex might have won instead of losing by five runs.

He paid three visits as coach to New Zealand, besides rendering similar service at Kimberley, South Africa, and in 1937 he was a member of the team which toured the Argentina. When war broke out, Eastman helped London Counties, and was particularly proud of being captain when the side first appeared at Lord's.

EYRE, MR. JOHN, who died on November 24, aged 82, played in the Winchester XI 1876-1878. His best score against Eton was 40 not out. He did not take a prominent part in cricket at Oxford, but, very versatile at Association football, he kept goal against Cambridge in 1879, and in the following season appeared in the forward line: Cambridge won both matches, played at Kennington Oval.

FORD, MR. HENRY JUSTICE, the fourth in seniority and last survivor of the seven brothers, all prominent in the Repton School XI, died on November 19, aged 81. Six of the brothers captained the eleven, and the second would have done so had he not left school the same year as his eldest brother--W. J. Of these six, who all went to Cambridge, three got cricket Blues--W. J., A. F. J., F. G. J.--and the other three First Classes. As F. G. J. once wrote, The Blues did not get First Classes. True to the family type, Henry Ford used his physique, six feet tall and weight 14 stone, in powerful hitting. He bowled slow round-arm and did well in the long field. In a Long Vacation Club match at Cambridge on August 10, 1882, he played a great innings of 295, but was not consistent enough to shine against the best bowlers. An artist from an early age, he became well known as a gifted imaginative illustrator of books for children.

FOWLER, MR. WILLIAM HERBERT, died on April 13, aged 84. Educated at Rottingdean and Grove House School, Tottenham, he played for Essex in 1877, and two years later appeared for Somerset with marked success, averaging 23 and doing the best bowling. Over six feet three inches in height and more than fourteen stone in weight, he put great force into his strokes. One hit off W.G. Grace at Gloucester carried 154 yards, and also in 1882 at Lord's he drove a ball from George Hay 157 yards, as measured by Tom Hearne, head of the ground staff. This was a remarkable match, M.C.C. winning by one wicket after Fowler had done the hat-trick in the club's first innings. When M.C.C. visited Taunton later in the season, Fowler scored 139, and for M.C.C. against Oxford University at Lord's in 1884 he made the large proportion of 60 runs out of 68 while he was at the wicket.

An accomplished golfer, he played for England against Scotland in 1903 and two following years. He designed the Walton Heath and many other well-known courses in England and America. Maintaining a close connection with Somerset, he was a trustee of the County Ground at Taunton.

GODFREY, REV. CHARLES JOHN MELVILLE, died on September 28, in his 79th year. A force in club cricket, he played for many years with success as a free-scoring batsman and a very fast bowler. He appeared for many clubs besides Hastings in Sussex, also for Incogniti and Winchester, but was best known as captain of Granville Lee in Kent. At Oxford in 1883 to 1885, he found a place in the University eleven occasionally, without getting his Blue, and assisted Sussex in four matches-- 1885 to 1892. When at Magdalen College School he threw the cricket ball 114 yards. Closely in touch with Surrey cricket, Mr. Godfrey was on the County Committee from 1917 to 1922 and from 1924 to 1932. For many years he was Vicar of South Beddington.

HART, MR. HAROLD B., who played for Cambridgeshire from 1913 to 1935 and for several seasons combined the offices of captain and joint secretary, died late in December, aged 54. A very good batsman, he scored consistently in second-class county matches.

HAYMAN, THE REV. CANON HENRY TELFORD, died in his 88th year on February 8, at Cheltenham. After being in the Bradfield XI he went to Cambridge, but did not get his Blue. Born at West Malling, he played for Kent in two matches, one in 1873 being the only fixture kept in connection with the Cup offered by M.C.C. for competition among invited counties at Lord's. Sussex were beaten by 52 runs. Although on that occasion bowled in each innings for one run by James Lillywhite, Jnr., Hayman was described as fine batsman; also a good long-stop.

HEWETT, SIR JOHN PRESCOTT, G.C.S.I., K.B.E., C.I.E., died at The Court House, Chipping Warden, Banbury, on September 27, aged 87. After being in the 1873 Winchester XI he went to Oxford before entering the Indian Civil Service. He held many important positions and became Lieutenant-Governor of United Provinces, India from 1907 to 1912. In 1911 he organised King George V's Coronation Durbar at Delhi. On returning to England permanently he was M.P. for Luton and prominent in many London business concerns.

HEWITT, MR. COPLEY DE LISLE, Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for the City of London, died at Aylesford, Kent, on September 30. He captained Charterhouse at both cricket and football and got his Association Blue at Oxford in 1893 and two following seasons.

HOARE, REV. ARTHUR ROBERTSON, died at Ashill Rectory, near Thetford, on March 18, aged 69. He opened the bowling and batted well at number three for the Eton XI of 1890, but did not gain his cricket Blue at Cambridge. He was a welcome acquisition whenever available for Norfolk. Very good at Association football, he got his Cambridge Blue in 1893. A chaplain to the Forces in the South African War, he also acted in this capacity during the Great War 1914--1918.

HOARE, MAJOR WALTER ROBERTSON, died at Lychpit on July 1, aged 73. The last to die of three brothers, who, like their father the Rev. W. M. Hoare were in the Eton cricket XI, the VIII, Field XI, and represented the College at Fives. In business Walter was a brewer, and because of their professions the brothers were known as Bung, Bishop, and Bank. They all played for Norfolk.

HUSON, MR. ARTHUR CLIVE a master at Eton, died on July 6, aged 52. He scored 116 in a total of 238 for Winchester at the start of the match against Eton in 1908, but his side lost by an innings and 14 runs. A steady batsman with plenty of strokes and strong defence, Huson played in the Oxford Freshmen and Seniors matches, but his form was uncertain and he never appeared for the University. During the Great War he served in the Garrison Artillery, rising to the rank of captain.

HUTCHISON, MAJOR CECIL KEY, died in a nursing home on March 25, aged 64. An opening batsman for Eton in 1896, he earned much higher fame at golf than at cricket. One of the greatest golfers of his day, he lost the Amateur Championship of 1909 by a single hole. From 1904 to 1912 he regularly played for Scotland against England and twice won the St. George's Challenge Cup-- 1903 and 1910. He was a prisoner for four years in Germany during the Great War.

JACKSON, MR. SAMUEL ROBINSON, was closely devoted to the welfare of the Yorkshire County Club from early manhood until his death at Leeds on July 19, soon after entering his 83rd year. He played a few matches for Yorkshire in 1891, then represented Leeds on the Committee, and was a Vice-President for many years. When the Scarborough ground was opened, on the occasion of a match between the Leeds and the Scarborough clubs, he received the first ball bowled.

JESSOP, MR. OSMAN WALTER TEMPLE, younger brother of G. L. Jessop of free-scoring fame for Cambridge, Gloucestershire and England, died on May 25, aged 63. He showed promise at Cheltenham and appeared twice for Gloucestershire in 1901 and 1911, but could give very little time to first-class cricket.

JOHNSON, MR. W. J., one of the Australian Test Selection Committee, died at Melbourne, aged 57, on August 14. In early life he captained the North Melbourne club and Victoria Second XI. A sound batsman and clever slow bowler, he was a useful all-round player. His son, I. W. Johnson, who has made a name for Victoria, joined the Air Force. Mr. Johnson came to England with the Australian 1930 team, captained by W. M. Woodfull, and made many friends,

MACPHERSON, MR. ROBERT, who died at Brooklyn, N.Y., on March 9 aged 65, was educated at the High School, Dunfermline--his birthplace--and played for Fifeshire before going to the United States in the Fall of 1906. A very good opening batsman, he showed to advantage for the Brooklyn, Bensonhurst and Crescent Athletic clubs. He gave very fine displays in two not-out centuries for Bensonhurst.

MARSH, REV. THEODORE HENRY, died on October 14, aged 78. On leaving Bishop's Stortford College he went to Cambridge and took many wickets in college matches with his fast right-hand bowling. From 1888 he was useful for Norfolk, but could not play often in county cricket. A clever Association football forward, he was in the 1885 Cambridge XI which included such noted players as W. N. Cobbold, T. Lindley, A. Amos, A. M. Walters, B. W. Spilsbury and F. E. Saunders--all internationals. He also represented Cambridge in the High Jump.

NEWNHAM, LIEUT.-COLONEL ARTHUR TRISTRAM HERBERT, died in Newton Abbot Hospital on December 29, aged nearly 81. After three years in the Malvern XI he went to Sandhurst, and served mostly in The Army abroad or he would have made a big name in English cricket. Playing first for Gloucestershire in 1887 at Lord's, he scored 25 not out, helping W. G. Grace to add 84 for the ninth wicket before the champion was leg-before to A. J. Webbe for 113. Rain ruined the pitch, but Newnham, with 20, was best scorer in the second innings, and then he and W. G. dismissed A. E. Stoddart, A. J. Webbe, S. W. Scott and T. C. O'Brien, the four best Middlesex batsmen, for 25 before the match was left drawn. At Gloucester against Yorkshire, when W. G. Grace scored 92 and carried his bat through the second innings for 183, Newnham, 56, took part in an eighth-wicket stand for 143. Played primarily as a fast bowler, Newnham appeared for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval that season. For many years he was prominent in cricket abroad, particularly at Bombay.

NORMAN, DR. JAMES EARL, M.A., LL.D., for many years secretary of the Hertfordhire County Club and hon. secretary of the Minor Counties Association, of which he was elected president in 1938, died at his home at St. Albans on March 3, aged 72. He had been a member of M.C.C. since 1902. His work for the Minor Counties was of great value.

NORRIS, MR. EDWARD, died on January 15, at Philadelphia, aged 72. A good batsman during many years, he gave a particularly able exhibition in 1900 when for All Philadelphia against all New York he hit up 152.

O'CONNOR, MR. J. A., who toured England in 1909 with M. A. Noble's Australian team, died at Sydney in November, aged 66. A rather slow bowler, he relied on speed from the pitch and did not find the comparatively slow turf in England suitable to his methods. He played only in the first of the five Test matches, and that was the one which England won before Australia recovered and carried off the honours. Until late in the season he seldom accomplished anything notable against any strong batting side, but on the whole tour O'Connor took 85 wickets at 19 runs apiece. He sometimes played for Australia at home, and altogether in Test cricket his bowling record showed 13 wickets, average 29 runs each. He played for both New South Wales and South Australia. His best performance was 7 wickets for 36 runs at Melbourne in January 1909; thanks to his effort, South Australia, after being 219 runs behind on the first innings, snatched a victory by 15 runs.

PARRIS, FREDERICK, a medium-paced bowler for Sussex during the nineties and a first-class umpire for some years, died on January 17, aged 74. He rose to fame in county cricket under the captaincy of W. L. Murdoch, the famous Australian, and no doubt he learned much from Alfred Shaw, who resumed first-class cricket in 1894 when engaged by Lord Sheffield after retiring from the Nottinghamshire side. Then 52, Shaw retained his accuracy of length and power in spinning the ball so well that he headed the Sussex averages with 41 wickets at 12.24, Parris coming next with 63 at 13.44 runs apiece. Off-break and slightly varied pace made Parris deadly on a pitch giving any help. Seizing such an opportunity at Bristol, he took 15 Gloucestershire wickets--including that of W. G. Grace twice--at a cost of 98 runs in one day. Another very good performance was at Catford, ten Kent wickets for 58 runs, and a handsome victory again resulted. Fred Tate, after some decline from his early effectiveness, became the best Sussex bowler in the following season, with Parris next in general utility if expensive, his 50 wickets costing 31 runs apiece. Parris never fulfilled expectations, his moderate days coming too frequently. Of medium height and sturdily built, Parris batted left-handed, but runs were seldom wanted from him in a side containing C. B. Fry, K. S. Ranjitsinhji, as they came from the Universities, W. Newham, still on the list of Sussex officials at the age of 81, George Brann, also of Ardingly, Killick and Marlow, besides the captain.

In club cricket Parris did some remarkable things, once taking 18 out of 20 wickets in a match; and at Bexhill in 1903 he hit twenty-three 4's in an innings of 105.

PEEL, ROBERT, who died at Morley, on August 12, aged 84, was one of the finest all-round cricketers of any time. Primarily he was a bowler, the second in the remarkable succession of slow left-handers--Edmund Peate, Peel, Wilfred Rhodes and Hedley Verity--who rendered such brilliant service to Yorkshire over a period of sixty years. Born at Churwell, near Leeds, on February 12, 1857, Bobby Peel first played for his county in 1882, when Yorkshire were singularly rich in bowling talent, so that he had to wait several years before attaining real distinction. Still, being a capital fieldsman, especially at cover-point, and a punishing left-handed batsman, he kept his place in the team, and when Peate's connection with the county ceased in unhappy circumstances Peel came to the fore. For nine seasons, with his fine length, easy action and splendid command of spin, this sturdily built left-hander regularly took over 100 wickets for Yorkshire, his county total amounting to 1,550 at an average cost of 15 runs each. He was often a match-winner. In 1887 he took five Kent wickets for 14 runs in an innings and, with 43 runs in a low-scoring match, helped largely in a victory by four wickets. In the same season eleven Leicestershire wickets fell to him for 51 runs at Dewsbury, five in the first innings for four runs. A year later he took eight Nottinghamshire wickets in an innings for 12 runs, while in 1892 five wickets for seven runs in an innings and eight for 33 in the match against Derbyshire at Leeds was a startling performance. He did even better in 1895 against Somerset, 15 wickets falling to him in 36 overs for 5 runs, nine for 22 in one innings causing a sensation. At Halifax in 1897, a month before his county career ended, Peel dismissed eight Kent men in an innings for 53 runs, his match average showing eleven for 85; this performance gave Yorkshire an innings victory with 103 runs to spare in two days. Peel's full return in bowling in first-class cricket was 1,754 wickets at 16.21 runs apiece.

He did some remarkable things in Test matches with Australia, against whom he played for England twenty times. At Sydney in 1894, Australia set to get 177, hit off 113 of the runs for the loss of two wickets before stumps were drawn on the fifth day. The result then appeared a foregone conclusion, but strong sunshine followed heavy rain during the night. Peel slept through the storm. Astounded when he saw the drying pitch, he said to the English captain, Mr. Stoddart, gie me t' ball, and with Johnny Briggs, the Lancashire left-hander, also at his best, the remaining eight batsmen were disposed of for 53 runs. So England gained an extraordinary win by 10 runs after facing a total of 586, then a record for these Tests, the previous being Australia's 551 at the Oval in 1884. Peel's analysis in the fourth innings was six for 67. Peel also enjoyed a large share in winning the rubber match of that tour. He took seven wickets, scored 73 in a stand for 152 with A. C. MacLaren, and following a grand partnership for 210 by Albert Ward, of Lancashire, and J. T. Brown, of Yorkshire, the two best scorers of England's first innings hit off the runs, the victorious total being 298 for four wickets. In 1896 at Kennington Oval, with conditions very difficult for batsmen, he and J. T. Hearne got rid of Australia for 44. Peel's share in the victory by 66 runs was eight wickets for 53 runs, and his last innings analysis six wickets in 12 overs for 23 runs--some revenge for getting a pair. Hearne's figures showed ten wickets for 60. That was the last match in which W. G. Grace led England to success over Australia.

Besides his great achievements as a bowler, Peel scored over 11,000 runs for Yorkshire, hitting two centuries. His highest innings was 226 not out against Leicestershire in 1892, and four years later he obtained 210 not out in a Yorkshire score of 887 against Warwickshire at Edgbaston, a total which remains a county match record. Peel and Lord Hawke, who added 292 for the eighth wicket, F. S. Jackson and E. Wainwright all reached three figures in that innings--then a record, four centuries in an innings. In 1889, the year in which the over was increased from four balls to five, Peel put together 158 in the Yorkshire second innings at Lord's, but yet was on the losing side, a brilliant 100 not out in eighty minutes by T. C. O'Brien taking Middlesex to victory by four wickets with ten minutes to spare. Yielding 1,295 runs for thirty-six wickets, the game produced a record aggregate for a match in England at the time.

Peel went four times to Australia, in 1884-5, 1887-8, 1891-2 and 1894-5, and in Test matches with Australia he took 102 wickets for less than 17 runs each. He also figured in Players teams against the Gentlemen from 1887 to 1897, taking in those games 48 wickets at a cost of 16 runs apiece.

He scored 1,206 runs and took 128 wickets in all matches in 1896, the year before his remarkable career came to an end. Sent off the field by Lord Hawke during a game at Bramble Lane and suspended for the remainder of the 1897 season, he was not seen again in the Yorkshire team. He did, however, appear for an England XI against Joe Darling's Australian side at Truro two years later, taking five wickets. His benefit match at Bradford in 1894 realised £2,000.

PERCIVAL, REV. PREBENDARY LANCELOT JEFFERSON, K.V.O., Domestic Chaplain and Sub-Almoner to the king and Precentor of the Chapels Royal, died on June 22, aged 72. He played cricket for Clifton and Herefordshire. An Oxford Rugby Blue in 1889-90, he showed such good form that he was capped for England against Ireland in 1891, 1892, and against Scotland in 1893.

REMNANT, GEORGE HENRY, who died in February, aged 92, was the oldest living Kent professional cricketer and a friend of Charles Dickens. Born at Rochester on November 20, 1848, he made the first of 42 appearances for his county at the age of 20. His best score for Kent was 62 against Hampshire at Canterbury in 1877, but in minor cricket he hit 238 and 211 not out for Chilham Castle. He was a magnificent fieldsman. As a young man, Remnant played in the village team at Gad's Hill, Higham. He used to relate how, when playing in the meadow adjoining the house where Charles Dickens lived, he drove a ball into the back of a trap in which sat the novelist's children and their governess. The pony bolted; Remnant dropped his bat, dashed in pursuit, and checked the runaway before any harm could be done.

RHODES, WILLIAM, who played once for Yorkshire in 1911, died on August 5, aged 56.

SELLERS, MR. ARTHUR, prominently connected with the Yorkshire County Cricket Club for 52 years, died on September 25 at Keighley, aged 71. He played for Yorkshire from 1889 to 1899, but only during two seasons-- 1892 and 1893--could he give much time to first-class cricket because of the call of business. In helping to raise Yorkshire to the championship for the first time, he came third in the 1893 averages, only J. T. Brown and John Tunnicliffe, who became such a great pair of opening batsmen, being above him, and there was little difference in their figures. Sellers excelled with two centuries, 105 at Lord's against Middlesex and 103 against Somerset at Sheffield. Only one other first-class county hundred was scored for Yorkshire that summer. Perhaps the most notable performance by Arthur Sellers was in June 1895, in the match celebrating the jubilee of I Zingari. The Gentlemen of England required 172 runs for victory, and Sellers, 70, and W. G. Grace, 101, hit off the runs in an hour and three-quarters. Sellers played each of these fine innings as opening batsman. Admirable in style, he used his height--six feet--in forward play and driving, and his forcing strokes showed perfect timing. He fielded with dash and precision, usually in the deep. A vice-president of the County Club and chairman of the Yorkshire selection committee for many years, Arthur Sellers retained these offices until his death. Heredity in cricket had proof in the ability of his son, Arthur Brian Sellers, captain of Yokshire from 1932; father and son afford the only instance of such relations each scoring 1,000 runs in a season for the county.

SHIPTON, MR. WILLIAM LOUIS, died on October 21, aged 80. He was in the Repton XI of 1877 and played a few times for Derbyshire in 1884 and 1885. In a match between Buxton and Derbyshire Friars in 1884 he played an innings of 214. A free hitter and good round-arm fast bowler, he was a useful cricketer without becoming great.

STEEL, MR. ERNEST EDEN, youngest of the four brothers who played for Lancashire, died on July 14 at Southport, aged 77. After doing well in the Marlborough XI, 1880 and 1881, as free batsman and slow bowler, he appeared occasionally in the county side, but poor health and absence abroad prevented him from playing much first-class cricket. In 1901, after an interval of thirteen seasons, he reappeared for Lancashire and proved useful. Next season his deceptive flight bowling earned 44 wickets, his average of 18.93 being second to S. Webb's, though Barnes was the most destructive bowler for Lancashire. In 1904 he scored 62 for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval, but he never approached the special standard of A. G. Steel, of high fame for Cambridge, Lancashire and England. Nor was E. E. so good as D. Q., the senior and first of the brothers, who got Cambridge Blues; A. G., the other Blue, followed two years after D. Q., and was captain in 1880 when Cambridge gained their third consecutive victory over Oxford. Each helped in three wins, twice being in the same eleven.

SWAN, MR. HENRY DAWFS, who died on December 21, was a well-known member and former president of the Essex County Cricket Club. Perhaps his chief activities were with M.C.C. teams, and he was credited with arranging for the first match to be played in April by a team from Lord's, and this game at Wisbech became an annual event. He used to take an M.C.C. XI on tour in Yorkshire, and the engagements with Public Schools and some of the leading clubs in the North always aroused much interest. The annual tour which he conducted in the Channel Islands was very popular. He had no pretensions to being a great cricketer, but his happy disposition made him an acquisition on all grounds, particularly when Essex organised weeks. He was well known in Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand, which he visited with touring teams.

THOMPSON, MR. HENRY, honorary secretary of Incogniti, died on August 8 at Sevenoaks, after an operation, aged 54. He played occasionally for Leicestershire in the seasons 1908, 1909 and 1910. Beginning with 15 and 72--the highest score in his side's second innings against Derbyshire--he suggested success in championship cricket, but he failed to maintain anything like this form.

THOMSON, MR. ERNEST ALFRED CHARLES, secretary of the Club Cricket Conference, which he founded in 1915, died in a nursing home on April 11, after a long illness which kept him away from the annual meeting for the first time for 26 years. From 35 clubs at its inception, the Conference grew into the greatest cricket organisation in the world. Mr. Thomson assisted in founding the National Playing Fields Association in 1925 and for two years acted as honorary secretary of the Open Spaces Bill Committee. Born at Woodford, Essex, in 1872, he was grandson of John William Thomson, who planned the Crystal Palace grounds and reorganised Kew Gardens. At the age of nine Thomson played cricket on Mitcham Green and appeared for such clubs as Townley Park and Heathfield. Besides cricket--his great love--he played Association football, hockey, lawn tennis, bowls and golf, and he also found time for athletics, cycle racing and boxing. A journalist by profession, he edited Hockey World.

TROUP, MAJOR WALTER, a prominent member of the Gloucestershire XI at different times from 1887 to 1911, died in January, aged 71. He appeared first for the county when seventeen and still at a private school at Clifton. A very sound batsman, he often opened the innings with W. G. Grace, and he contributed 180 to Gloucestershire's 634 against Nottinghamshire at Bristol in 1898; during that season he also scored 176 and 100; when he helped W. G. put up 169 at Taunton against Somerset, his own contribution reached 127. Finishing second to W. G. Grace in the county batting, Troup averaged 38 for an aggregate of 968 runs. Troup became County captain next year when W. G. Grace ceased his connection with Gloucestershire, but was in office only one season before returning to India--the place of his birth. Altogether Troup scored 3,250 runs at an average of 26 an innings in first-class cricket. He played for the Gentlemen at Scarborough in 1898 and at the Oval in 1902.

Of small build, he was strong in defence and extremely patient, sometimes avoiding any attempts at scoring. More than once he batted about an hour for a single run. It is recorded that at Liverpool in 1888 he withstood the Lancashire attack altogether for 95 minutes and yet bagged a brace. Despite all his care he was stumped in the first innings and leg-before-wicket in the second, each time to the cunning bowling of Briggs. Under favourable conditions he showed skill in stroke play but was always a slow scorer. He fielded well at cover-point. After being on the staff under Lord Harris at Poona, he was District Superintendent of Police in North-West Provinces. In the Great War he became a captain in the Royal Flying Corps and he retired from the Army in 1920.

TUBBS, SIR STANLEY WILLIAM, BART., President of Gloucestershire County Club, died on December 11, aged 70. While at Highgate School he was a useful cricketer and always cherished a strong fondness for the game, but business claims prevented him reaching a high standard of play. Keen on all sport, he was joint master of the Berkeley Hounds from 1931 to 1933. Although twice married, he did not leave an heir, and on his death the baronetcy, with which he was honoured in 1929, became extinct.

TURNER, MR. HARRY, prominent at Oxford in connection with all sport died on January 5, aged 82. From his outfitter's shop in The Turl many an undergraduate procured a bat that helped him get a Blue. For fifteen years Turner was official scorer for the University when playing in The Parks. Before those days, when Cowley Marsh was the scene of University cricket, Harry Turner took an active part in starting the Oxfordshire County Club and the Minor Counties Association. A sporting journalist, he reported games for agencies and London papers, including The Times, for over fifty years.

TURNER, CAPTAIN NOEL VERNON CYRIL, who died on June 13, aged 54, at Hungerford Park, Berkshire, showed to advantage in the Repton XI from 1903 to 1905, and played sometimes for Nottinghamshire from 1906 to 1913, when A. O. Jones was captain and the strong side included John Gunn, George Gunn, J. Hardstaff senior, J. Iremonger and W. Payton. Turner averaged 23.36 for nine matches in 1907, the year Nottinghamshire were absolutely champion county for the first time since 1886. Tom Wass and Hallam in that season of triumph did nearly all the bowling, taking between them 298 wickets, while only 42 fell to six other bowlers in competition matches. Turner kept goal for Corinthians and played for England against Belgium in the amateur international match of 1920.

VASSALL, MR. GILBERT CLAUDE, of high fame as an Association football outside-right and a long jumper, was a useful all-round cricketer without attaining to the front rank. After leaving Charterhouse he scored freely for Oriel in College matches at Oxford, but during his four years at the University, 1896 to 1899, the Dark Blues were very strong at cricket, and Vassall gave his chief attention to athletics and football. He played occasionally for Somerset in 1902, 1903 and 1905, but made few runs, and his fast bowling met with little success. Becoming a master at Dragon School, Oxford, soon after completing his under graduate days, he refused invitations to go elsewhere and died joint headmaster of the preparatory school on September 19, aged 65.

WILLINGDON, The MARQUESS OF, P.C., G.C.S. I., G.C.M.G., G.C.I.E., G.B.E., formerly Mr. Freeman-Thomas, who died on August 12, aged 74, played in the Eton XI three seasons, being captain in 1885. Going up to Cambridge, he obtained his Blue as a Freshman and played against Oxford four times. He did nothing of note in either the big school games or the University matches at Lord's, but at Cambridge in 1887 he scored a brilliant 114 against Yorkshire at Fenner's and headed the University averages with 40.2. From 1886 to 1890 he appeared occasionally for Sussex, and in twenty county matches he made 738 runs with an average of nearly 20. He adopted the surname of Freeman-Thomas in 1892 and so became Mr. Freeman-Thomas before entering Parliament as member for Hastings. As Governor of Bombay and of Madras, he did much to further the interests of cricket in India before being appointed Viceroy. In 1924 he was raised to the Peerage.

WILSON, THE RIGHT REV. CECIL, D. D., died on January 20, aged 80. After three years in the Tonbridge XI, being captain in 1879, he could not accept an offered Blue at Cambridge because of an engagement to travel abroad, but he proved himself a fine batsman for Kent. During the seasons 1882 to 1890 he played in 28 matches for the county with an average of 22.23. In the Canterbury Week of 1882 he excelled against the Australians. He stopped a bad collapse by helping E. F. S. Tylecote (100 not out) add 125 for the eighth wicket; when Kent followed-on 85 behind, he went in first and scored 50. He again did well at Canterbury in 1886, making 127 against Yorkshire, and with George Hearne (117) taking part in a third-wicket stand for 215. After Wilson's dismissal the last seven wickets fell to Emmett and Bates for 31 runs. Yet Kent won by six wickets--so completing a most successful Festival, for they had beaten the Australians in the Bank Holiday match by ten wickets. Standing five feet eleven inches tall, Cecil Wilson drove hard and scored rapidly when set. He could field anywhere and earned a reputation for fast, accurate returns to the wicket-keeper. His elder brother, Leslie Wilson, played for Kent from 1883 to 1897.

After important work with the Melanesian Mission, following service in the Church at Portsea and Bournemouth, Dr. Wilson became Archdeacon of Adelaide, and in 1917 Bishop of Bunbury, Western Australia, where he retained office for twenty years before retiring.

WILSON, MR. THEOPHILUS STUART BEATTY, died at Orion Downs, Queesland, the place of his birth, on May 19, aged 70. After captaining Bath College in his fourth year in the XI, 1889, he got his Oxford Blue 1892-93 as a fast right-hand bowler in very strong sides which included C. B. Fry, the brothers Palairet, M. R. Jardine, V. T. Hill and H. D. G. Leveson-Gower. The University match of 1893 caused a sensation. Wilson, last Oxford man, joined W. H. Brain with 5 runs required to save the follow-on. To quote the report in Wisden: The two batsmen consulted together between the wickets and it was evident that the Dark Blues were going to throw away a wicket in order that their side might go in again. C. M. Wells frustrated this intention by bowling two wide balls to the boundary. Cambridge played the third innings and, dismissing Oxford for 64, the Light Blues, captained by F. S. Jackson, won the match by 266 runs on the second afternoon. Wilson played county cricket for Monmouth.

WOOD, REV. HUGH, died at Whitchurch Vicarage, Aylesbury, on July 31, aged 86, leaving the captain, the Hon. and Rev. Edward Lyttelton, who passed away in January 1942, as the last survivor of the Cambridge XI which beat the Australian team of 1878 at Lord's by an innings and 72 runs. A slow left-hand bowler, Wood was not put on in this match, A. G. Steel and P.H. Morton bowling unchanged in Australia's first innings and A. F. J. Ford helping them with one wicket when the touring team followed-on. Wood did not get his Blue that year, but in 1879 at Lord's he took four wickets for 46, sharing the honours of the first Oxford dismissal with A. G. Steel, who then scored 64, highest innings of the match, and when Oxford batted again got rid of seven men for 23, making his match record 11 wickets for 69 runs. A. F. J. Ford took the other three wickets that innings, and with three slip catches off Steel helped largely in the victory by nine wickets. This result gave Cambridge a lead of 22 victories to 21 by Oxford in the series of University encounters. Mr. Wood played for Yorkshire in 1879 and 1880, taking ten wickets at 21 runs apiece and averaging 10.40 in fifteen innings as a right-handed batsman.

WOOTTON, JAMES, a slow left-handed bowler of high skill, died in February, aged 80. By clever use of flight he made up for moderate height--five feet six inches--and sometimes sent down a surprise ball of unexpected speed. For Kent he took 628 wickets at 16.90 runs each. After playing for the county of his birth from 1880 to 1890, Wootton became coach at Winchester College, and when the first-class counties were increased to fourteen in 1895 Hampshire were glad to use him, but his old skill had gone and he did little of note when occasionally appearing. He joined the staff at Lord's in 1884 and remained attached to the M.C.C. until 1890.

Among some of best performances were: 13 wickets for 84 runs against Lancashire at Gravesend in 1883, 14 for 162 runs against Sussex at Hove in 1886, and in the same summer 13 wickets for 64 against Lancashire at Maidstone, while at Gravesend in 1888 he took five Middlesex wickets for eight runs. In 1894 he was given the Kent match with Surrey at Catford as a benefit. More memorable than his doings in county cricket were two achievements at Canterbury against Australian sides. In 1884 Wootton helped Kent to win by 96 runs. Seven wickets fell to him in the match for 93 runs, three for 21 in the last innings. Alec Hearne, the present Kent scorer, did even better, with five wickets for 36 in the first innings--7 for 66 altogether. Stanley Christopherson, the fast bowler who played for England that year at Lord's and is now President of M.C.C., enjoyed a share in Kent's victory three wickets for 12 runs in the final collapse. That was the only match against a County which W. L. Murdoch's third team lost. In 1886 the touring team, captained by H. J. H. Scott, were outplayed and defeated at Canterbury by ten wickets. Wootton played a notable part in Kent's triumph, dismissing five men in each innings; he sent down 83 overs and 2 balls (4 to the over) at a total cost of 100 runs. Alec Hearne, on this occasion, claimed four wickets for 37 runs, and George Hearne three in the first innings for 19 runs, the three professionals sharing the honours in twice dismissing the Australians after Kent had been put in to bat on a pitch soaked by heavy rain.

© John Wisden & Co