Obituaries in 1921

ESPNcricinfo staff

ACHESON, MAJOR-GENERAL THE HON. EDWARD ARCHIBALD BRABAZON, who died in London on July 3, aged 77, was a member of the Harrow XI of 1861. It was said of him : " A good hitter, but wanting in defence ; fielded well at long-leg and cover-point, his throwing-in being particularly good ; rather wild as a bowler, but at times destructive." Against Eton he scored 1 and took one wicket for 17 runs.

ALMACK, REV. WILLIAM, Vicar of Ospringe, died there on March 26. He contributed some very interesting recollections of cricket to Mr. W. J. Ford's History of the Cambridge University C.C.

BAIRD, MR. RICHARD LOPER, born in Philadelphia on December 4, 1850, died on February 2. He was an all-round cricketer who played for the Young America C.C., and was a member of the original Halifax team which won the Halifax Cup.

BEAL, MR. CHARLES WILLIAM, who died at Randwick, Sydney, on February 5, aged 65, was manager of the Australian teams of 1882 and 1888. He was captain of the eleven whilst at Sydney Grammar School, and nephew of Mr. J. Beal who played, in 1856, in the first of the long series of matches between New South Wales and Victoria. Mr. Beal made many friends during his two trips to England, being genial and sociable to a degree. He was extremely proud of being associated with the great team of 1882. As manager in 1888 he had to face a very awkward crisis. It was largely due to his tact that the nature of S. P. Jones's illness was so carefully kept secret. Had it become known that Jones was suffering from small-pox the tour might have been nearly ruined.

BERRESFORD, MR. JOHN HlGGINBOTTOM, who was born at Manchester on January 12, 1842, died in Brooklyn on September 28. He was a prominent member of the Manhattan C.C., and played occasionally for the club in the eighties and early nineties. He was also a member of the New York Veteran Cricketers' Association, and served as Vice-President in 1903.

BLAKE, MR. GERALD FREDERIC, who died at Norwich on March 1, aged 57, was a very useful all-round player who appeared for Norfolk between 1890 and 1904. He was a hard-hitting batsman, a fair change-bowler and a useful wicket-keeper. Whilst at Cambridge he was a member of his College eleven, but did not obtain his blue.

BONHAM-CARTER, MR. HENRY, who was born in London on February 15, 1827, died there on March 22, aged 94. He was father of Messrs. Herman, Charles and Maurice Bonham-Carter and brother-in-law of Messrs. C. L., F. H., and Philip Norman, all well-known players.

BOWLES, MR. HARRY, formerly well-known in West Surrey cricketing circles as captain of the Witley eleven, died at Milford, Surrey, on December 19, aged 69.

BROMHEAD, GEORGE, who died in Philadelphia on October 27, aged 62, although quite a good medium-paced bowler, will always be recalled as perhaps the best coach American cricket ever had. Among the players who owed much to his tuition were G. Stuart Patterson, Francis H. Bohlen, W. W. Noble, N. Z. Graves, P. H. Clark, V. H. Bates, and T. C. Jordan. He was an Englishman by birth, but had been domiciled in America since 1881, and for forty-two seasons had been identified with the Young America and German town clubs. He was also well-known as an umpire, and on three occasions accompanied Philadelphian teams to England in an advisory capacity.

CHRISTOPHERSON, MR. PERCY, born at Blackheath on March 31, 1866, died at Folkestone on May 4. In 1887 he appeared in one match for Kent, playing against Sussex at Tonbridge and scoring 27, and whilst at Oxford assisted the University in a few games, but did not obtain his blue. He was a younger brother of Mr. Stanley Christopherson, and a member of the family eleven which was composed of the father and ten sons.

CRAKE, MR. WILLIAM PARRY, born on February 11, 1852, died on December 1. He was in the Harrow XI in 1869 and 1870, scoring 30 ruins in four innings and taking one wicket for 17 runs in his two matches against Eton. He was regarded as a very good batsman and was an excellent field. At Association football he was a member of the Wanderers' team which beat the Royal Engineers in the final for the Cup in 1871-2. Mr. E. H. Crake, who obtained his colours for Harrow in 1900, is his son.

DISNEY, MR. THOMAS, late head master of Halesowen Grammar School, died on February 16, aged 67. In 1873 and 1874 he was in the Rossall eleven, being a successful medium-paced bowler with a high delivery.

DONOVAN, JOHN, who died at Cardiff on April 20, had been professional with the Cardiff and Glamorgan County Clubs. He was a good slow bowler and useful as a batsman. For some years prior to the War he had umpired for the Cardiff C.C.

D'OYLY, SIR WARREN HASTINGS, 10th Bart., born on April 6, 1838, died at Merivale, Lansdowne, Bournemouth, on February 16. He was educated at Haileybury and had played for Dorset and the Calcutta C.C.

EVANS, EDWIN, the once-famous Australian cricketer, died at the Walgett's Hospital, New South Wales, on July 1. It was a thousand pities that Evans did not visit England while he was in his prime. If he had come over with the first team in 1878, or with the great side of 1882, there is every reason to think he would have justified the reputation he enjoyed at home. As it happened he delayed too long. When at last he came here, in 1886, his powers were obviously on the wane. He was still a very accurate howler, but he had lost much of his spin and in a summer of hard wickets he had no terrors for English batsmen. More than that, circumstances were against him. The members of the 1886 team were not a happy family. Disagreements began during the opening match at Sheffield Park and the late H. J. H. Scott, the captain, had anything but a pleasant time. Still, nothing that Evans did during the tour suggested the bowler about whom we had heard so much. His great days were over.

Born in March, 1849, he was in his 38th year--rather an advanced age at which to seek a new reputation. His record as a bowler for the whole tour was 30 wickets for something over 20 runs apiece and his batting average was 12. These were poor figures for one who only a few years before had been the best all-round man in Australia. He took part in thirty of the thirty-nine matches, but bowling in twenty-two of them he delivered only 506 overs, Scott evidently having little faith in him. At home Evans had a brilliant career. He played his first match for New South Wales against Victoria in March, 1875, and helped materially to win it, taking in Victoria's second innings six wickets for 25 runs. This performance established him and for years he went on from strength to strength. He and Spofforth did great things together, once getting Victoria out for 37. More often than not Evans had the better average of the two. He was at his best against James Lillywhite's team in 1876-77, and Lord Harris's team in 1878-79 found in him one of their stoutest opponents. I remember asking Mr. Hornby when he came back from the latter tour what he thought of Evans. His reply--I cannot after all these years vouch for the exact words--was something like this, " He is a very good bowler, the sort of man who can pitch on a sixpence, but he is not a Spofforth."

GARNETT, MR. ROBERT, who died at Low Bentham, on January 7, aged 75, was in the Cheltenham eleven in 1861 and 1862, and one of the eleven Garnetts of Free Foresters fame. For many years he was captain of the Lancaster C.C.

GARNETT, MR. STEWART, brother of the above, died in Manchester on January 31, aged 70. He played chiefly with the Western C.C. and Free Foresters.

GEOGHEGAN, Mr. T. P., who died of pneumonia in February at the early age of 17, was a member of the Downside College eleven. In 1919, when only fifteen years of age, he commenced 13 innings for the side, was not out seven times, and, with 137 not out as his highest score, made 717 runs and averaged 119.50. That year he played at Lord's for The Rest v. Lord's Schools and scored 11.

GOODMAN, SIR GERALD AUBREY, a member of the well-known cricketing family of Barbados, was born on September 6, 1862, and died in England on January 21. He was educated at the Lodge School and Harrison College, of Barbados, and University College, London. He was the first of the brotherhood to make his mark in important cricket, and was one of the founders of the Pickwick C.C..

GRANT, MR. EDWARD ROBBINS, who was born in Philadelphia in 1848, died at Elizabeth, New Jersey, on February 28. He played with the old New Jersey Athletic Club and was a fair bat.

HAMMOND, ERNEST, who was born at Storrington on July 29, 1850, died in August, aged 71. He was a useful all-round player, but was handicapped by ill-health. Between 1870 and 1875 he assisted Sussex in five matches, but accomplished nothing of note. He was nephew of Charles Hammond and grandson of the famous John Hammond, both of whom had played for the county.

HAYDOCK, MR. CHARLES, who died at Worksop on May 30, aged 87, played for the Worksop Town C.C. for sixty years. In 1909, when aged 76, he took all ten wickets for 34 runs for Worksop Thursday C.C. v. Crossley.

HEWETT, MR. HERBERT TREMENHEER, died at Brighton on March 4. Born on May 25, 1864, he was nearly 57 years of age, giving up first-class cricket whilst still a young man, Mr. Hewett had long been out of the public eye, but he will be vividly remembered as one of the most remarkable left-handed batsmen we ever had, and also for the dominating part he played in establishing Somerset as a first-class county. In his early days he did little to suggest the fame that was in store for him. In 1882-83, in his two matches for Harrow against Eton at Lord's, he only scored seven runs in three innings. Going up to Oxford he only secured his Blue in 1886, and in the University match circumstances were rather against him. He was bowled without getting a run on the first day, and in Oxford's second innings he was one of the batsmen who, with disastrous results, obeyed rather too literally H. V. Page's injunction to play a free game after K. J. Key and N.V. Rashleigh had made their memorable stand of 243 runs for the first wicket.

In the meantime Hewett had begun to play for Somerset, then a second-class county of modest pretensions, and it is with Somerset cricket that his name will always be associated. The county club was formally established in 1886. In 1890 Somerset won all their matches, and at the meeting of secretaries in December they secured the requisite number of fixtures, and passed automatically into the front rank. They could not have started under happier circumstances. S. M. J. Woods was still at the top of his form as a fast bowler, and L. C. H. Palairet was getting to his very best as a batsman. The Somerset eleven became a great attraction both at home and away, the climax being reached when, at Taunton in 1892, Hewett and L. C. H. Palairet scored 346 together for the first wicket against Yorkshire, beating a record by W. G. Grace and B. B. Cooper--that had stood since 1809. In 1892 Somerset came out third among the nine leading counties, Hewett getting an average of 40. There seemed every reason to think that he would remain for a long time connected with Somerset, but after the season of 1893 he resigned the captaincy of the eleven and gave up county cricket.

There is no doubt that he was largely influenced by an incident that occurred during the match with the Australians at Taunton. Owing to the wretched weather it was agreed in the morning to abandon play for the day, but late in the afternoon the players were gathered together and the game started. Some of Mr. Hewett's friends thought he made far too much of the matter, but he was very angry, considering that his authority had been unwarrantably overruled. As a batsman he was individual to a degree. Playing his own game, he could not be imitated. Very daring, and blessed with an unfailing eye, he could demoralise bowling just as Jessop did, and was capable of hitting up 50 runs on impossible wickets. Apart from his batting he was, on the evidence of those who played under his leadership, one of the very best county captains of his day.

Though he was not seen very often after severing his connection with Somerset, Mr. Hewett played in several matches in the next three seasons and kept up his batting form, getting 110 for A. J. Webbe's Eleven against Oxford in 1894, and 109 against Cambridge, and 102 against Oxford for the Gentlemen of England in 1895. His scores of 50 or more in Bat v. Ball from 1885 to 1896 number thirty-eight, by far his biggest innings being his 201 in the memorable match at Taunton in 1892.

HIRST, MR. ANTHONY A., who was born in Philadelphia on January 18, 1846, died at Haverford on February 22. He it was who gave the Hirst Trophy for Junior competition in Philadelphian cricket.

HONE-GOLDNEY, MR. GEORGE HONE, died on March 28 at Monks Hatch, Winchester, aged 70. He was not in the eleven whilst at Eton, but obtained his blue for Cambridge in 1873, when he scored 10 and 0 against Oxford, who won by three wickets. He was taken up to Lord's entirely for his bowling, but in a hard-fought match the late F. E. R. Fryer--the Cambridge captain in 1873--put him on for only two overs. In 1889-90 he visited India as a member of Mr. G. F. Vernon's team. He was born at Southborough, in Kent, on January 24, 1851.

HORNBY, MR. CECIL ROUGHSEDGE, who died at Bedford on August 5, aged 79, was in the Eton XI in 1859 and 1860. It was said of him : " A very fair bat ; as a bowler somewhat short in pitch, but his great spin generally renders him destructive." In his four Public School matches, against Winchester and Harrow, he scored 29 runs in eight innings and took nine wickets for 17.44 runs each.

HORNING, MR. ERNEST WILLIAM, who died at St. Jean-de-Luz, Basses-Pyrenees, on March 22, aged 54, was a keen cricketer, but was not in the eleven whilst at Uppingham. He married a sister of Sir A. Conan Doyle.

HOYLAND, MR. JAMES, for over twenty-five years scorer to the Yorkshire team, died at Sheffield on January 25.

HUME, MR. EDWARD, who was born at Scaldwell, in Northamptonshire, on September 25, 1841, died at Totland Bay on October 24th, aged 80. At Marlborough, where he was coached by Robert Carpenter, he was in the eleven in 1859 and 1860, averaging 18 in the former year and 16 in the latter. In his only match against Rugby he was dismissed for 3 and 0 obtaining his blue at Oxford as a freshman, he played in the University matches on 1861 and 1862, among his contempories being Russell Walker and R.A.H Mitchell. Cambridge won both games- by 133 runs and eight wickets- and Mr. Hume scored only 4 runs in four innings. His best performance whilst at Oxford was an innings of 50 for XVI of the University against the United Eleven. In 1867 he was elected a member of the M.C.C. and he served on the commitee from 1881 to 1885.

HUNTER, MR. ROBERT CECIL, who was born on May 10, 1878, and died in London on November 6, was a member of the Winchester elevens of 1896 and 1897. A fine field and sure catch at point, he was also useful both as batsman and bowler. In his matches with Eton he scored 7 runs in three innings and obtained three wickets. Since 1901 he had been a member of the M.C.C. He did not obtain his blue for Oxford.

HYNDMAN, MR. HENRY MAYERS, died at his home in Hampstead on the morning of November 22. Mr. Hyndman, so well known as a Socialist leader, had some claim to be remembered for his powers in the cricket field. Whilst up at Cambridge he only just missed getting his blue in 1864. In his first book of recollections he admitted that in later life many things of greater moment caused him far less disappointment. He was very pleased one night at his club to hear the opinion expressed that he ought to have been chosen. Still, Cambridge were rich in run-getters in 1864, and Mr. Hyndman's best score in the three trial matches in which he took part was 35 against the Free Foresters.

He was one of the Thirteen of Cambridge who played against Surrey at the Oval, a drawn game producing 1,101 runs--a huge aggregate in those days. Mr. Hyndman kept up his cricket for several years, playing a good deal for Sussex and the Gentlemen of Sussex. He was clearly at his best in 1864. In August that year he scored at Brighton 58 against Hampshire and 62 against Middlesex, the latter innings enabling Sussex to gain a hard-won victory by three wickets. In his first book of recollections Mr. Hyndman had a good deal to say about cricket, paying a high tribute to Buttress, the famous slow bowler. Born on March 7, 1842, he was in his eightieth year at the time of his death.

IRELAND, MR. MAURICE WILLIAM, who died at Norwich on March 1, aged 45, was a useful all-round cricketer who generally played a few times each season for Norfolk between 1900 and 1911. Against Suffolk at Ipswich in 1903 he took eight wickets in an innings for 38 runs.

JEANS, CANON GEORGE EDWARD, Vicar of Shorwell-with-Mottiston, Isle of Wight, died at his vicarage on August 7. He had been an enthusiastic cricketer and had not missed the University match for over thirty years.

LESLIE, MR. CHARLES FREDERIK HENRY, died on February 12. Mr. Leslie did not, in the cricket field, do all that was expected of him, but for a couple of seasons he was quite in the front rank. As a public school batsman he was perhaps the best of his day. The long line of famous Rugby batsmen that began, I think, with C. G. Wynch, seemed to have ended with Pauncefote and Yardley, but Leslie restored the ancient glories. He was in the Rugby eleven from 1877 to 1880 inclusive, being captain the last three years, and had a truly remarkable record for the school. In his first match against Marlborough at Lord's he found A. G. Steel's bowling too good for him, and was out for 28 and 5, but in 1878 he scored 98 and had the chief share in a single innings victory. He scored 16 and 80 in 1879, Rugby winning by 97 runs, and in 1880 he finished his school career in triumph with a finely hit 91, Rugby gaining an easy victory in one innings. In his four matches against Marlborough Leslie made 315 runs in six innings, averaging just over 52.

Naturally he went up to Oxford with a tremendous reputation. In his first year at the University he more than realised expectation. He came off in every match and stood out by himself among the Oxford batsmen with an aggregate of 519 runs and an average of 57. The story has often been told of how in his innings of 70 against Cambridge at Lord's he left the wicket after scoring eight, under the impression he had been caught and bowled, and was called back when his partner, W. H. Patterson, appealed to the umpire. As things turned out the season of 1881 marked the highest point in Leslie's career. He was never so good afterwards. In 1882 he again headed the Oxford batting, but his average dropped to 28.

He went to Australia as a member of Ivo Bligh's team in the winter of 1882-3, but only twice in the big matches did he do himself full justice, scoring 144 against New South Wales and 54 in the second of the three games with the great Australian side that had beaten England by seven runs at the Oval. In 1883 Leslie nearly finished with first-class cricket. He played very little and was in no form, failing in the University match and also for the Gentlemen at the Oval. As late as 1888, however, he scored 32 for Past and Present of Oxford against the Australians at Leyton, playing the splendid bowling of Turner and Ferris with much of his old skill. At his best he was a batsman of very high class, combining wonderfully strong defence with his powerful hitting. I remember being struck one afternoon when he and A. P. Lucas were in together at Lord's by the contrast in their back play. Lucas came down very hard on the ball every time, but Leslie adopted a sort of hanging guard and almost allowed the ball to hit his bat. Both were watchful to a degree, but Lucas was much the better to look at. Leslie played five times for Gentlemen v. Players, his best score being 59 at the Oval in 1881.

LEWIS, MR. GEORGE, who died in Brooklyn on April 15, was a useful member of the Cameron C.C. He was born in Barbados on July 22, 1882.

LOCKWOOD, EPHRAIM, died on the 19th of December. Playing his last county match in 1884 Lockwood was only a name to the present generation, but middle-aged people will remember him as the finest Yorkshire batsman of his day. He rose to fame at one bound, and for fifteen years he was in the front rank, never looking back. His career had a brilliant climax, followed almost immediately by eclipse. In August. 1883, against Kent at Gravesend, he scored 208--the highest, and in some respects, the best innings of his life--but in the following year he lost his form so completely that he had to be left out of the Yorkshire eleven, and, except for a match in Scotland in 1888, no more was seen of him.

Never in the history of Yorkshire cricket did a young batsman make a more remarkable first appearance for the county. It is an old story, but one that will bear retelling. When in August, 1868, Lockwood stepped on to the Oval to play against Surrey he was unknown to the general public. At the beginning of the season he had played at Lord's for the Colts of England, but as he made very few runs his doings attracted no attention. As the result of the Surrey match he suddenly found himself a celebrity. Trained in a stern school at Lascelles Hall he was not troubled by nerves. Rather late in the afternoon he was sent in with his uncle, John Thewlis, and when next day Yorkshire's first wicket fell the score stood at 176. Lockwood got 91, and the Oval critics could not say too much in his praise. Success did not in any way turn his head, and in the following season he took his place among the best batsmen in England, being chosen for the Players against the Gentlemen at Lord's. He failed in that match, but against Surrey at the Oval he confirmed his previous form, scoring 103 and not out 34. This time he and Joe Rowbotham sent up 166 for the first wicket. From 1869 to 1883 Lockwood was one of Yorkshire's mainstays, knowing no rival among the county batsmen till George Ulyett came to the front.

Looking up the statistics in Bat v. Ball I find that, including six hundreds, Lockwood made for Yorkshire thirty-seven scores of fifty or more. His average year by year would look small in comparison with the records of present-day batsmen, but run-getting in his time was not what it is now. The wickets were not so carefully prepared. Lockwood took part, between 1869 and 1883, in twenty-eight Gentlemen and Players matches, and enjoyed marked success, especially in the middle 70's, his highest innings being 97 at the Oval in 1877. In the old North and South matches of which we at one time had so many, he nearly always did well. Rather clumsily built Lockwood was not exactly a stylist, but he played with a perfectly straight bat, he had an ever-watchful defence, and his cutting was superb--a model combination of brilliancy and safety. The short ball he sent like a flash behind point and when he could trust the wicket he did not scruple to cut balls off the middle stump. His eye in his best days was unfailing. More than once Lockwood was asked to go to Australia, but he resolutely declined. The sea had no charm for him. When he went to America with Richard Daft's team in 1879 he was always wishing himself safely back at Lascelles Hall.

LORD, MR. LAWRENCE, who died on August 8 at Rockcliffe Bank, Bacup, aged 71, was for many years treasurer and a playing member of the Bacup C.C. In the seventies he was considered one of the best amateur bowlers in Lancashire, and in 1877 was instrumental in dismissing Burnley for 11 runs.

LUCAS, REV. ARTHUR, of the Uppingham eleven of 1870, died at Hobart, Tasmania, on February 18. From 1878 to 1910 he was Assistant Master and Chaplain at Tonbridge School.

LUCAS, MR. MORTON PETO, who was born at Clapham on November 24, 1856, died in London on July 9, having been taken ill whilst attending the Eton v. Harrow match the day before. He was educated at Harrow and Cambridge, but, although quite a useful cricketer, was not in either eleven. Between 1877 and 1890 he appeared in twenty-three matches for Sussex, making 837 runs, with an average of 20.41, and taking seven wickets for 33 runs each. Against Hampshire at Brighton in 1881 he scored 131, and on the same ground that year took part in the Gentlemen v. Players match, won by the latter by one run after the game had been a tie on the first innings. Subsequently he was seen occasionally in the Warwickshire eleven, having qualified for that county by residence at Leamington. Probably the innings of which he felt most proud in his career was 66 for Sussex against the Australians at Brighton in 1881. Palmer and Boyle at that time were at the top of their bowling form.

LYNN, GEORGE HENRY, who died suddenly on September 21, aged 73, played for Sussex six times in 1872 and twice in 1873, scoring 128 runs with an average of 9.84 and taking one wicket for eight runs. He was born at East Grinstead on March 31, 1818.

MARTIN, FREDERICK, died at his home at Dartford on December 13. On the previous day he had seemed in his usual health, but he had a sudden seizure in the night and never recovered consciousness. Born on October 12, 1861, he was a trifle over sixty years of age. Martin had a fairly long career for Kent, playing his first match for the comity in 1885--he had only one trial that year--and his last in 1899. For three seasons--1889 to 1891--he was one of the best left-handed bowlers in England. After that, though he retained his command of length, he had not the same spin and batsmen naturally found him easier to play. In those three years, according to his figures in the History of Kent Cricket, he took for Kent alone 315 wickets--87 in 1889, 116 in 1890, and 112 in 1891. In 1894 he had a very good season, bowling with astonishing success on soft wickets for the M C.C. at Lord's in May.

He bowled medium pace with a high easy action that seemed part of himself. Most of his work was done for Kent and the M.C.C., but he once took part in a Test Match, playing for England against Australia at the Oval in 1890. His selection came as a surprise. Yorkshire would not let Peel off from a county match, Briggs was more or less disabled, and a left-handed bowler was a necessity. Martin rose to the occasion. On a pitch ruined by rain he was deadly, taking twelve wickets for 102 runs--six for 50 and six for 52. The Australians were very weak in 1890, but Turner and Ferris made them formidable on slow grounds, and England only just scrambled home by two wickets. Martin appeared four times for Players against Gentlemen and went to South Africa as a member of W. W. Read's Team in 1891-92. During that tour, though quite over-shadowed by Ferris and to some extent by .J. T. Hearne, he took 109 wickets at a cost of less than 81 runs apiece. Martin was never much of a batsman, but he played an innings of 90 for Kent in 1897 and one of 70 not out in 1896.

McCONCHIE, MR. ARTHUR ROBERT, who died at Southend-on-Sea on February 6, aged 58, had played for Suffolk as a fast bowler.

MEAD, HAROLD, son of Walter Mead, died at Epping in April, at the early age of 25. He played for Essex occasionally before the War. Whilst serving with the Essex Regiment he was wounded severely in 1915, and it cannot be said that he ever really recovered.

MONTGOMERY, MR. WILLIAM W., who died on April 17, was the founder of the Merion C.C. on December 16, 1865.

MOON, MR. ARNOLD WILLIAM, formerly Captain in the West India Regiment, died at Ashford, in Kent, on October 14, aged 62. He was in the Winchester Eleven from 1876 to 1878, being a good wicket-keeper and useful batsman. Against Eton he scored 34 runs in five completed innings.

MOORHOUSE, ROBERT, born at Berry Brow on September 7, I866, died at Huddersfield on January 7. For some years he was a prominent member of the Yorkshire team, and between 1888 and 1899 scored 6,232 runs for the County with an average of 18.77 and took 65 wickets at 26.93 runs each. He was a very useful all-round cricketer, but he never reached the front rank. His highest innings was 113 v. Somerset at Taunton in 1896. He was an excellent fieldsman. For several seasons he was engaged as coach at Sedbergh School.

NEWHALL, MR. GEORGE MORGAN, a member of America's most famous cricketing family, died in Baltimore Hospital on January 25. He was born in June 22, 1845, and so had completed his 75th year. His early cricket was played with the Young America Club, and he captained sides against the English teams of 1868 and 1872. In 1880 he appeared for the United States against Canada. The highest innings of his career was 180 not out for Young America v. Baltimore in 1880. A delightful writer on cricket, he was author of "Germantown Cricket Grounds," and contributed the introduction to " Cricket and Cricketers."

NICHOLSON, MR. S. R., a former Wiltshire cricketer, died at Penang (Federated Malay States) in May.

NORSWORTHY, MR. GEORGE, a member of the Winchester XI of 1856, died at Bournemouth on January 5, aged 84. On his only appearance against Eton he was dismissed for two and three, his defence being weak. He pulled in the Oxford boat of 1860.

ORMSBY, MR. ROWLAND HENRY, born in 1872, died on June 29, at Jersey City. He was educated at Durham School, and was a member of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association.

OUTERBRIDGE, MR. ARTHUR EMILIUS, who died in New York City on January 14, aged 76, played occasionally for the Staten Island C.C.

OWEN, REV. JOHN ROBERT BLAZNEY, who died at Bradwell-on-Sea on June 13, aged 73, was formerly Headmaster of Trent College, for whom he made a number of hundreds. He was brother of the late Mr. H. G. P. Owen.

PAGE, MR. CHARLES CAREW, who was born in London on April 25, 1884, died suddenly at Woking on April 10. A very free and stylish batsman, he played with success for Malvern, Cambridge University and Middlesex. In his two matches against Oxford, however, he made only 12 and 4, 6 and 46, and, so far as first-class cricket was concerned, it was for Middlesex he was seen at his best. In fifty-one completed innings for the County he made 1,423 runs with an average of 26.84, his highest score being 164 not out v. Somerset at Lord's in 1908, made out of 262 in 110 minutes, and including twenty-eight 4's. Of greater merit, however, was his 117 against Lancashire on the same ground three years earlier. He was a very good outfield, but was seen all too seldom in first-class cricket. At Association football he also gained honours, playing for Cambridge, Old Malvernians, the Corinthians, and England.

PARAVICINI, MR. PERCY JOHN DE, died on October 12, having undergone a surgical operation. Mr. Paravicini's numberless friends were shocked at the news of his death, no mention of his illness having appeared in any of the newspapers. Few men personally more popular have ever been seen in the cricket field. His career was in one respect peculiar. He was in proportion a far greater force in his school days than he ever became in first-class matches. At Eton he was quite a dominating figure, bowling with a success that he never approached for Cambridge or Middlesex. He was in the Eton XI for four years, getting his place in 1878 and being captain in 1880-81. In those four seasons he was on the winning side three times against Winchester, but never against Harrow. His greatest triumph was the match against Winchester in 1881, when he scored 27 and 32 and took 10 wickets-- five for 25 runs and 5 for 46. Thanks mainly to his efforts Eton beat Winchester-a side composed of abnormally tall and powerful young cricketers--by six wickets.

Going up to Cambridge after the season of 1881 Paravicini was in the University Eleven for four years. He was on the winning side three times at Lord's, Cambridge winning in 1882, 1883, and 1885, but losing by seven wickets to M. C. Kemp's splendid eleven in 1884. In these four matches Paravicini's best score was 37. His quick bowling, so formidable at Eton, had quite left him, and in the four matches he was only put on in three innings, meeting with no success.

Though a failure as a bowler and only a partial success as a batsman, Paravicini was one of the finest outfields ever seen in the University match--very fast, untiring, and a sure catch. In this connection I remember hearing J. A. Turner say in the Pavilion, when Cambridge had won the 1885 match by seven Wickets, "Para, we didn't get any runs, but we fielded damned well." For Middlesex Paravicini played some good innings, but in county cricket, as for Cambridge, his value lay chiefly in his splendid fielding.

As a man Paravicini earned far more distinction at Association football than at cricket. One of the best backs of his day, he was for several seasons a mainstay of the Old Etonians, and in the season of 1882-83 he played for England against Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. He was a member of the Old Etonians' team that won the Association Cup in 1882. He was born on July 15, 1862.

PARKE, REV. ALFRED WALLINGTON, who died at Henbury House, Dorset, on July 23, aged 66, was in the Winchester XI of 1873, under John Shuter's captaincy. He was a very useful player, his chief asset being his steady left-hand bowling. Against Eton he took five wickets for 30 runs in the first innings and two for 20 in the second. He also scored 1 and 5.

PODE, MR. JOHN DUKE, who died at Slade, Cornwood, Devon, on January 5, aged 88, was a member of the Winchester XI of 1851, when he was summed up as " a very steady player and a good point." In his two Public School matches he scored 2 and 0 v. Harrow and 10 not out and 16 v. Eton.

PRICE, MR. HENRY WILSON, who died at Cobham on March 28, aged 81, was a member of the Highgate School XI in 1853 and 1854 and at various times was associated prominently with many clubs, including Incogniti, Kensington Park, Wimbledon, Esher and Cobham. He was a member of the M.C.C. and for a short period Honorary Secretary of the Hornsey C.C. He was a useful wicket-keeper and batsman, and a very good organizer.

READ, MR. E. G., who died in March at the age of 46, was educated at St. Edmund's School, Oxford, and was a most useful wicket-keeper and batsman. He played on a few occasions for Hampshire (by birth) and Sussex (by residence), and scored heavily for the Worthing and Heathfield clubs, his highest innings for the latter being 224 not out. He was a nephew of Dr. Russell Bencraft.

RELF, JOHN, who was born on February 26, 1846, died on July 2. He was a good club cricketer and coach, and the father of A. E. and R. R. Relf.

ROPER, MR. EDWARD, who was born at Richmond, Yorkshire, in April, 1851, died in a Liverpool nursing home after an operation for appendicitis, on April 27, aged 70. In 1867 he obtained a place as a fast bowler in the Clifton eleven, among his contemporaries being Messrs. E. F. S. Tylecote and J. A. Bush. Subsequently he played a few times for Lancashire between 1876 and 1886 and for Yorkshire between 1878 and 1880, his highest score for the former being 65 v. Kent at Manchester in 1884 and for the latter 68 v. Middlesex at Lord's in 1878. For many years he was Secretary of the Liverpool C.C., and he was also a Vice-President of the Lancashire C.C.C. A splendid organizer, he got together thousands of teams for the Sefton and Liverpool Clubs. He was author of " A Sportsman's Memories," a posthumous work.

RUDD, MR. GEORGE EDWARD, who died at Leicester on September 16, aged 55, had played for and captained the Leicestershire XI. For a time, too, he was Honorary Secretary of the County Club. He was the father of Mr. G. B. F. Rudd.

RYRIE, MR. C. C., who died suddenly at Coogee, New South Wales, on August 3, aged about 60, had been well-known as a player in the Sydney district with the Belvedere C.C. and I Zingari.

RICHARDSON, MR. HENRY ADAIR, died at his home in St. John's Wood on the 16th of September. Born in London on July 31, 1846, he was in his 76th year. Mr. Richardson dropped out of first-class cricket while still a young man, and was only a name to the present generation. Old cricketers will remember him as a brilliant batsman, who for one season was quite in the front rank. He learnt the game at Tonbridge, he and the late J. W. Dale, if I am not mistaken, first making Tunbridge famous as a cricket school. In his last year in the eleven he made scores of 157 and 150, going up to Cambridge with a big reputation. Still he did not get his blue as a Freshman. He was in the Cambridge eleven in 1867, 1868, and 1869, and, though meeting with no success as a batsman, was on the winning side in all three years against Oxford at Lord's. In 1868 he reached his highest point. It was his great season. He was the chief run-getter for a fine Cambridge team, heading the batting with an average--very high in those days-of 38. Early in the year he scored 97 and 51 for Sixteen of Trinity College against the United South of England Eleven, and against Surrey at the Oval he played an innings of 143 that remains historical.

James Southerton was then in the first flush of his fame as a slow bowler, his pronounced off-break being almost as much dreaded as the googlies of the South African bowlers nearly forty years later. Mr. Richardson treated Southerton as he had never been treated before, and gave a dazzling display of hitting. The innings gained him his place for Gentlemen against Players both at Lord's and the Oval. He failed at Lord's, but at the Oval he made 55. Like his contemporary, W. B. Money, and F. E. R. Fryer, who immediately followed him in the Cambridge eleven, he was not half the batsman at Lord's that he was at Fenner 's and the Oval. Without being great, Mr. Richardson was a good wicket-keeper, and in the University match in 1869 he got rid of six men--three stumped and three caught. Curiously enough the Oxford wicket-keeper, the late W. A. Stewart, was even more successful, catching six and stumping two. Mr. Richardson was an excellent billiard player--one of the best amateurs of his day--but he met more than his match in W. W. Rodger of Oxford.

SANDERS, CAPT. GORDON (R.A.S.C.), who died in hospital at Baghdad from the excessive heat in July, was a former member of the Felsted School XI.

SAWYER, MR. CHARLES MONTAGUE, who died on March 30, aged 65, was for many years a member of the Broughton C.C. and in 1884 played for Lancashire in one match. As a Rugby footballer he was one of the most brilliant three-quarters Lancashire ever had. In 1880 he played for England v. Scotland and in 1881 against Ireland.

SHAND, MR. FRANCIS LIVINGSTONE, who died at Denham, Bucks, on June 5, aged 65, was in the Harrow XI in 1873 and 1874. He was left-handed, could hit hard, and was much above the average as a bowler--fast with a high delivery. In his two matches against Eton he took fourteen wickets for 15.42 runs each, and in the game of 1873 carried out his bat for 36. He was born at Old Charlton, in Kent, on June 23, 1855, but his county cricket was played for Stirling and Kincardineshire. Subsequently he kept up the game in Ceylon.

SHAW, JAMES, who was born at Linthwaite on March 12, 1866, died at Armley on January 22. In four matches for Yorkshire in 1896 his slow left-handed bowling accounted for sixteen wickets for 18.18 runs each.

SOWDEN, ABRAM, born on December 1, 1853, died at Heaton, Bradford, on July 5, aged 67. Between 1878 and 1887 be appeared in nine matches for Yorkshire, scoring 140 runs with an average of 11.66. He played for Bingley from 1875 to 1893 and for Bradford from 1893 to 1901. His best performance was to score 221 for Bradford v. Scarborough at the age of 45, while two years later he played successive innings of 157 v. Sheffield and 121 not out v. Dewsbury.

SPENS, MAJOR LIONEL. T., who died suddenly at Tunbridge Wells on May 2, was educated at Rugby and Sandhurst, and played for I Zingari, Band of Brothers, Mote Park, Blue Mantles, Free Foresters and other clubs, making many large scores He was a member of the Committee of the Kent County C.C. and on the Young Players' Committee.

STILES, MR. FRANCIS WALTER TALMAN, born at Shepton Mallett on November 15, 1861, died at Montclair, New Jersey, on January 20. He was a good batsman and a fine cover-point, and played for King's County, Staten Island A.C. and Knickerbocker A.C.

STOREY, MR. JOHN, the New South Wales Premier, who died on October 5, had played for the Balmain C.C. He was a good batsman, fair bowler, and keen field.

STREATFEILD, THE REV. GEORGE SIDNEY, died at St. Albans on November 30, aged 77. He was in the Winchester eleven in 1861 and 1862. In both years he was on the losing side against Eton, but in a hard-fought match in 1862 he distinguished himself, taking five wickets in Eton's first innings, and scoring 27 when Winchester followed on. Eton won by one wicket.

TROTT, FRED, a younger brother of G. H. S. and A. E. Trott, died at Glasgow in the last week of March. For a little time he was engaged at Lord's and played a few times for Middlesex Second XI, but in 1906 went to Scotland as professional to the Peebles County C.C., with whom he remained for eight years, two as professional and six as an amateur. He was a very useful all-round player. After the War he was engaged by the Clydesdale C.C. as groundman and coach.

TYERS, HARRY, who was born at Ruddington, Notts, on September 5, 1857, died at Brooklyn, New York, on September 21. In 1878 and 1879 he played for Nottinghamshire Colts, in the former year scoring 13 not out and 1, and in the latter making 22 and taking three wickets for 11 runs. His engagements in America were with the Chestnut Hill C.C., afterwards amalgamated with the Philadelphia C.C., the Manhattan C.C., New Jersey A.C. and Crescent A.C. For New York v. Irish Gentlemen in 1892 he scored 91 and 29, and in the following year made the largest score of his career--170 not out for New Jersey A.C. V. Elizabeth A.C. at Bayonne, when he and Mr. M. R. Cobb (126 not out) made 305 together without being parted for the first wicket.

UPCHER, MR. HENRY MORRIS, J.P., D.L., died at Sheringham, Norfolk, on April 6, aged 81. In 1858 he was in the Harrow XI, and, going in first in the match with Eton, scored 21, Harrow eventually winning a low scoring game by an innings. He did not obtain his Blue for Cambridge, but in 1860 played for XVI of the University against Surrey. Whilst at Harrow he was described as " The `stick' of the eleven, but also makes fine hits."

VON DONOP, LIEUT.-COL. PELHAM GEORGE, who was born at Southsea on April 28, 1851, died in London on November 7. He was educated at Somerset College, Bath, and was a member of the Woolwich teams of 1870 and 1871, his scores against Sandhurst being 38 and 9, 0 and 13. For many years he played for the Royal Engineers, and since 1886 had been a member of the M.C.C. At Association Football he gained International honours and was a member of the R.E. team which Won the Association Cup in 1875.

WILKINS-LEIR REV. EDWARD JOHN PAUL, died at Upper Weston, Bath, on April 23, aged 85. He was educated at Marlborough, and obtained his Blue for Cambridge in 1858, when he scored 1 and 0 against Oxford, who won by an innings and 38 runs. He was in the Marlborough XI from 1851 to 1854, being captain his last year. He was described as " A good man all round, but wanting in confidence." He assumed the additional name of Leir by Royal license in 1881.

WILKINSON, MR. HERBERT OSWALD, born in New York City on September 4, 1878, died at Greensboro, N.C., on March 1. He was a good wicket-keeper and played with the Columbia Oval C.C.

WINGHAM, GEORGE, a product of the Kent nursery at Tonbridge, died in Barrasford Sanatorium on May 2. in 1907 he went to Northumberland as professional to the St. George's C.C., of Newcastle, and subsequently appeared for the county under the residential qualification.

WYATT, MR. CHARLES GUY AUSTIN, who died at Cheltenham on September 11, aged 67, was a member of the Georgetown C.C. of Demerara, and visited the United States and Canada with the team of 1886. His highest score during the tour was 64 against the Young America C.C.

© John Wisden & Co