Supplementary deaths in War, 1942-43


FORBES, LIEUT. COLONEL DAVID WALTER ARTHUR WILLIAM, M.C., Coldstream Guards, died of wounds on November 13, 1943, in his 37th year. Played for Eton in 1936. A very prominent all-round athlete at the school, he was one of the finest field game players ever seen at Eton.

HAMILTON, LIEUT. ERIC PETER, killed in action during air operations in Sicily on July 15, 1943, was a well-known Johannesburg club cricketer. He played in one Currie Cup match for Transvaal against Orange Free State in January 1937. He was 31 years of age.

HODDER, GROUP CAPTAIN FRANCIS SAMUEL, officially presumed killed over Germany in September 1943, aged 37, played for Free Foresters and the R.A.F. X1 in five Inter-Service matches. For R.A.F. XV he played in nine Rugby Inter-Service matches and for ten years with London Irish, besides appearing in Irish Trials.

MOLONEY, LIEUT. D. A. R., who died of wounds while a prisoner of war in 1943, aged 32, played for New Zealand in representative matches from 1935 to 1939. A reliable batsman for Wellington, he came to England in 1937 and met with considerable success. He averaged 26 in the three Tests, and in all matches scored 1,463 runs, average 34.83, with best innings 140 against an England XI at Folkestone. His value as a bowler was shown by 57 wickets at 26.68. He scored 60, once out, for a New Zealand XI against G. O. Allen's team in March 1937 at Wellington.

SIDES, MR. F. W., a free-hitting left-handed batsman for Victoria, after playing during several seasons for Queensland, was killed in September 1943 while a sergeant on active service with a Commando unit against the Japanese in Salamanca, aged 29. In each of the last two seasons before the war he averaged over 34 by consistently good cricket. According to Australian statistics, Sides scored 859 runs, average 42.95, for Victoria in representative matches, his highest innings being 121 against Western Australia at Perth in 1939.

SOTHERON-ESTCOURT, FLIGHT-SERGEANT EDMUND GILES ANSON, R.A.F.V.R., killed in action August 1943, aged 21, played in the Harrow XI 1939.

THEVENARD, THEO D., Fleet Air Arm, who was killed in a flying accident in April 1942 when on service in America, played for Bedfordshire some years before the war after doing well in the Bedford School XI as a sound bat and fine fieldsman. In Rugby football he appeared regularly for Bedford as a wing three-quarter before the outbreak of hostilities. His speed and swerve brought his side many brilliant tries.

© John Wisden & Co