Obituaries in 1950

CAMPBELL, MR. GERALD VICTOR, who died in March 1950, aged 65, was in the Eton XI of 1902 and played once for Surrey. For Sussex Martlets he took over 1,000 wickets, and, after the first World War, in which he served as a Captain in the 5th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade, he acted for a time as secretary, captain and match manager.

COLAH, MR. S. H. M., who played for India in two Test matches against England, in 1932 and 1933, died at Ahmedabad on September 11, 1950, aged 47. Born and educated in Bombay, Colah showed promise at school and college. He became a magnificent hitter, with a particularly effective square-cut, and a brilliant fielder who threw in beautifully. When India played their first Test Match--against England at Lord's in 1932--Colah made 22 and 4, and caught Woolley and Brown in England's second innings. On that tour he scored 1,069 runs in all matches, with an innings of 122 against Lancashire at Manchester. The following year Colah scored 31 and 12 against England in the First Test Match at Bombay. He played in two games against Ryder's Australian team in 1935 and once against Lord Tennyson's team in 1937. In the Ranji Trophy Tournament, Colah helped Western India States and Nawanagar, and he captained the Parsis in the Bombay Quadrangular Tournament.

DEVONSHIRE, EDWARD WILLIAM SPENCER, THE TENTH DUKE OF, K.G., M.B.E., T.D., died suddenly at Eastbourne on November 26, 1950, aged 55. He had been President of Derbyshire C.C.C. since 1938, when he succeeded his father, and in turn was succeeded by his son, the former Marquess of Hartington, M.C., now the eleventh Duke of Devonshire.

LLOYD, MR. RICHARD AVERIL, who died in hospital in Ireland on December 23, 1950, aged 59, played for Lancashire on a few occasions in 1921 and 1922, scoring 100 runs, average 20.00. A celebrated Ireland Rugby football half-back, he gained nineteen caps between 1910 and 1920, being renowned for his dropped goals. He also played for Ulster, Liverpool and Lancashire. Educated at Armagh Royal School, Portora Royal School and Dublin University, he served in the first World War as a Captain in the Liverpool Scottish.

MALLAM, MR. CHARLES GEORGE CAVE, who died on December 8, 1950, aged 91, was in the Uppingham XI of 1887, and as a non-collegiate at Oxford played in the University Trial matches of 1881-82. He assisted Uppingham Rovers F.C. from 1882 to 1886, and appeared in the Devon and Rutland county teams. Late Headmaster of Dunchurch Hall Preparatory School, Rugby.

RAVEN, MR. EDWARD EARLE, who died at Cambridge on December 2, 1950, aged 61, was in the Uppingham XI of 1908 and 1909 and took part in the Freshman's match when at St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1910. He was Fellow and Dean of St. John's College at the time of his death.

STANBOROUGH, MR. WALTER F. H., who died on December 20, 1950, aged 81, was in the Charterhouse XI of 1887 and 1888 and went to Trinity College, Cambridge, but did not gain a Blue. He played football for the Corinthians.

WELLDRON, REV. MAURICE EDWARD, who died at Cheltenham on December 20, 1950, aged 85, was the last surviving brother of Bishop Welldron. In the Tonbridge XI of 1882, he went to Hertford College, Oxford, and played lawn tennis against Cambridge in 1894 and 1895.

WESTRAY, MR. FREDERICK WILLIAM, who died suddenly at Grays, Essex, on December 30, aged 78, was in the Uppingham XI of 1890 and 1891, and played hockey for England from 1895 to 1899.

WOODWARD, MR. KENNETH ALEXANDER, who died at Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, on December 24, aged 76, was a member of the Harrow XI of 1892 and 1893. He went to University College, Oxford, but did not gain a Blue. Afterwards he played for Herefordshire and Derbyshire. Served in the Royal Marine Engineers during the first Great War.

© John Wisden & Co