Haywood sacked by Sussex (19 August 1999)
Giles Haywood, who a year ago played in the England team who won the Under-19 World Cup, has reacted angrily to his sacking by Sussex
19-Aug-1999
19 August 1999
Haywood sacked by Sussex
DJ Rutnagur
Giles Haywood, who a year ago played in the England team who won the
Under-19 World Cup, has reacted angrily to his sacking by Sussex.
"For the youngest member of the staff, at 19, to be told that he has
no future in the game appears to be short-sighted, both for myself
and for youth cricket in Sussex," he said.
"If Sussex are looking for more from their under-19 cricketers, then
I feel they are going to be disappointed. I am proud of my
achievements. This year, I established myself in the one-day side and
feel that I made good progress and made a positive contribution with
my bowling, fielding and the limited opportunities I had for batting."
Figures, however, do not substantiate Haywood's claim. In seven
National League games, he aggregated 50 runs and took four wickets.
On his only championship appearance, Haywood, a left-hand batsman and
right-arm bowler, scored 14 and one and took none for 66 in 13.2
overs.
England and Wales Cricket Board officials said yesterday that umpires
Mervyn Kitchen and Mike Harris adjudicated correctly when the
Lancashire v Yorkshire CGU National League match, which Lancashire
won, became the first day-night match to be interrupted by floodlight
failure on Tuesday evening.
An ECB spokesman said the umpires rightly followed the
Duckworth/Lewis method used for weather interruptions.
Alan Igglesden, the former England bowler, is seriously ill in
hospital after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour.
The former Kent captain has been taken to King's College Hospital in
London for a biopsy.
Igglesden, 34, who played three Tests for England, retired from
first-class cricket last season and had been playing Minor Counties
cricket for Berkshire.
Doctors discovered the tumour last month following investigations
carried out after Igglesden had an epileptic fit at his home near
Maidstone.
"You might say these have been the longest six weeks of my life," he
said.
Australian players fear they may fall out of favour with English
counties because of new powers allowing the Australian Cricket Board
to terminate a player's contract.
The ACB have approved a condition allowing their board to cancel a
player's contract in an overseas competition if they were concerned
about the player's fitness.
Source :: Electronic Telegraph (https://www.telegraph.co.uk)