Pakistan's new probe on bribes (18 August 1999)
The fate of Pakistan's captain Wasim Akram and his team-mates Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmed is in limbo after the Federal Government's decision yesterday to allow the one-man judicial commission another four weeks to submit its report on match-fixing
18-Aug-1999
18 August 1999
Pakistan's new probe on bribes
Qamar Ahmed
The fate of Pakistan's captain Wasim Akram and his team-mates Salim
Malik and Ijaz Ahmed is in limbo after the Federal Government's
decision yesterday to allow the one-man judicial commission another
four weeks to submit its report on match-fixing and bribery.
The trio had been suspended from selection by Pakistan's
accountability cell probing the allegations. The extension, the
fourth since last September, will allow justice Mulik Mohammed Qayyum
to look into the report made by the accountability cell after
Pakistan's poor display in the World Cup final.
The registrar of Lahore High Court, Salam Khan, said the commission
has set its next hearing on Aug 23.
"Wasim Akram and Mushtaq Ahmed have asked the commission to
cross-examine their accusers, one of them Salim Pervez, a former
Pakistan one-day player and now a bookie," he said.
"The investigation up to the Sharjah Cup last April is complete and
the only missing factor now is the probe into the allegations made
during the World Cup. We hope to complete our report on Sept 30."
Rushdie Magiet became South Africa's first non-white convenor of
selectors yesterday when he was appointed ahead of three other
national selectors, including Mike Procter and Clive Rice.
Magiet, 56, who takes over from the retired Peter Pollock, has served
on the selection panel since unity was achieved between the
mixed-race South African Cricket Board (SACB) and the white South
African Cricket Union (SACU) in 1991.
Source :: Electronic Telegraph (https://www.telegraph.co.uk)