July 6, 2012

Cricket in the Caribbean

Beach boy

Philip Brown
 © Philip Brown

Luck sometimes plays a huge part in photography. You can have lots of skill, knowledge and experience but sometimes you need elements that you cannot control to come together to help you capture a special photo.

In 2007 I decided to go to the Caribbean for the final fortnight of the very long cricket World Cup as a freelance photographer. Newspaper budgets had recently been squeezed and far less of them were likely to use photographs from a freelancer. I decided to travel in spite of this.

I covered just five one-day matches and as I'd accurately predicted beforehand it wasn't really a good idea to go financially. To put it simply I lost money.

The 2007 World Cup will probably be best remembered for two events. Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer died during the tournament and that was very sad. Bob was a really nice approachable man and I'd enjoyed photographing him a few months earlier when Pakistan played at Canterbury.

The second incident occurred on the island of St Lucia after members of the England team and also some back-room staff stayed out drinking one evening. "Freddie" Flintoff decided it was an appropriate time to teach himself how to ride a pedalo. Take it from me, if you've been drinking for 5 hours, it's dark and it's the wee hours of the morning, don't go near any precarious floating-on-the-top-of-the-water mode of transport. Or helicopters for that matter.

On the Saturday, April the 21st to be precise, I covered a match between West Indies and England at Bridgetown which happened to be Brian Lara's last appearance for his national team. England won a very tight match but neither West Indies nor England progressed to the semi-finals. Lara shook hands with the England players before walking around the entire ground shaking hands with fans. This was the end of an astonishing era. Lara was a phenomenal player and very good to photograph as he played some stunning shots. After this match concluded I faced a four-day wait for my next match.

There was very little to do between games photographically speaking. My hotel was all-inclusive so I could have spent all me time drinking vodka and swimming in the pool but I decided not to do this, well, not to do this all the time anyway. My base was on the west of the island and I was told by a lady working at reception that there was a walking tour of the area the next morning. It promised to be an interesting walk along the beautiful beach and there was a good chance some monkeys would be spotted. I took a camera with me.

We did indeed walk along a beach and we did see some monkeys. I even saw my first pair of crocs* on the lady who was taking the tour. Just after the successful monkey search I spied a beach through some palm trees where some cricket was being played and I left the group and headed for the sand. A father was throwing a tennis ball to his son and they had no problem with me taking photos as they continued their game.

One of the advantages of digital cameras is that you can see the shots that you have taken straight away. This was one time I was really pleased to have that feature. I was holding my camera down on the sand as I squatted low and shooting some pictures every time the boy played a shot. After an initial viewing of my screen I made sure the exposure was correct and with the shutter speed and focus set I continued to take shots from ground, sorry, make that sand level. The boy was batting in the shade of a large palm tree and became almost a silhouette as I exposed for the sea and the sky. One concern was that often a wave would suddenly come and wash over the makeshift pitch and I had to be very careful that my camera didn't get swamped by one of these waves. Seawater, sand and cameras certainly don't mix.

A handful of shots from this five-minute session were quite acceptable but one frame stood out as the best. For a start the boy, the ball and the stumps were all in frame. This was slightly difficult to achieve as I wasn't able to look through the camera to compose the shot as I clicked away. Four swimmers bobbed about in the water and I don't believe that they could've been positioned much better. Also the sun is catching the sails of a boat in the distance where in some of the photos the boat was in shadow and not as obvious. I also love the colours in the shot - the blue sky with a smattering of cloud and the absolutely amazing colours of the sea. Everything seemed to come together nicely, neatly, and luckily in this one photograph.

It could well be my favourite work photograph that I have ever taken. In that respect I look back fondly on the trip. You know, it's not all about money.

*crocs - lightweight rubber footwear (I now own a blue pair myself)

Specifications: EOS 1D MkII, 16-35mm lens at 21mm, f 6.3, 1/1600th

RELATED LINKS

An Australian freelance cricket photographer based in England, Philip Brown has photographed over 150 Test matches around the world

RSS Feeds: Philip Brown

Keywords: Training, World Cup

Posted by Adway on (July 27, 2012, 16:29 GMT)

Tell me about luck. I was standing at the terrace of my office building on 9th floor. I looked down to find some open space where some kids were playing cricket. The batting-end of wicket was in the shades of a tree while everybody else was toiling under Sun. This would have made a good photograph titled 'Cricket has always been batsman's game IPL or no IPL', when I realized that I had left my camera at home. The piece that I've carried with me for 3 years without missing a single day. I kick myself almost everyday for missing that snap.

Posted by Lynn Bashforth on (July 25, 2012, 11:35 GMT)

Great shot, as always, Philip. I was on Barbados for that World Cup as well and at that Windies vs England match, and I absolutely remember the beaches looking as wonderful as this. My photos somehow didn't do them justice, unlike this one!

Posted by Irwin Phillips on (July 10, 2012, 18:26 GMT)

It isn't quite clear where this pic was taken; was it in B'dos? Two things strike me about this photo. I like how this photo is naturally divided into a parallel horizontal zones (6 perhaps?). At another level, it suggests to me a relaxed, fun, sporting activity. I am often tempted to think that 'professional sports' is an oxymoron. The values of fun and fairness are being lost in a culture of winning being the most important thing. Yes, that culture causes our athletes to reach new heights, but there are also many less desirable and often ugly consequences. In the meantime, this is a beautiful picture. Thumbs up!

Posted by Vikas Sahdev on (July 8, 2012, 3:08 GMT)

Who knows, he could be the next Lara in the making...great! pic

Posted by Philip Brown on (July 7, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

Thanks very much for all the comments. I best answer some of your questions from above ....

SirGarny - 160 Baundule - No, it's one photo that I didn't send out to newspapers or even magazines. I suppose in a way I wanted to keep it for myself although it has been included on my www.philipbrownphotos.com website for the past 5 years. Jeremy- My favourite non work photo? Could well be a newly married couple sitting on a cart being pulled around Sri Lanka by a mule. (But probably not)

Thanks again.

Posted by Jacinta Anderson on (July 7, 2012, 21:55 GMT)

Hi Beautiful colours. Good memories for me of the Carribean, cricket photography and those perfect shots! Was it called dodging and spotting when you edited photos. However did you get this child's name. He may be the next Viv Richards!...

Posted by Douglas Newsam on (July 7, 2012, 18:32 GMT)

I love it when a plan comes together and this one has done so perfectly. It is not as often as it once was to see these make up games of beach cricket. When I was young, decades ago, nearly any beach would have a game in progress and anyone could join and the rotation of batting was fairly evenly decided even though there were usually several players involved. Great shot and so glad you provided the technical data of the shot, very useful as I enjoy trying to take similar impromptu shots myself with far less success than yours! I enjoyed the item completely! Thanks.

Posted by Osmund Saddler on (July 7, 2012, 14:27 GMT)

Awesome stuff man...I`m still amazed at the perfect placement of the four people there in the sea...At my first glance I had no idea that those were people there...Also the colours are just amazing the way they complement the whole picture...Great stuff man it was an awesome read as well... cheers

Posted by SirGarny on (July 7, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

Fantastic shot!!! What was the film speed rating? 100? 400?

Posted by Nag on (July 7, 2012, 13:58 GMT)

Nice one, Philip. Your trip may yet turn out to be financially rewarding too. Who knows, Beach Boy may just turn out to be next Brian Charles, and then this photo would be priceless. Whatever you do, don't turnover the digital rights for a pittance :)

Posted by Baundule on (July 7, 2012, 7:48 GMT)

Excellent shot indeed. Enjoyed reading this blog, very well-written. Out of curiosity, was this photo published in some newspaper?

Posted by mohammad zahid on (July 7, 2012, 4:21 GMT)

amazing picture.i have put it on my desktop

Posted by Norman on (July 6, 2012, 20:02 GMT)

Beautiful image, Philip. Congratulations! I'm from Jamaica and I've had the pleasure of visiting St. Lucia a couple of times. Like the rest of the Caribbean, it's a beautiful place. Your picture captures something special about us as Caribbean people, who still love cricket from generation to generation, even in spite of the other competing distractions that abound in our region these days. I don't live in the Caribbean at the moment and seeing this image does make me homesick a little bit. I certainly miss watching cricket at Sabina Park and I would have loved to be at home to witness Chris Gayle, Dwayne Smith and Kieron Pollard's pyrotechnics against the Kiwis firsthand, rather than having to make do with the internet. Even from afar, though, I still Rally Roun' the West Indies!

Posted by Rabindra Jaggernauth on (July 6, 2012, 19:47 GMT)

Beautiful picture which captures the essence of cricket in the West Indies even though we may be losing at the international level. It reminds me of when an outing to the beach was never complete unless a game of 'windball' cricket was played.

Posted by Paul on (July 6, 2012, 19:22 GMT)

Great picture.

Posted by Jeremy Theobald on (July 6, 2012, 19:20 GMT)

Great photo Philip. Would like to know what your favourite non-work photo is? I think out of your shot selections so far I still prefer the boy in Bangladesh bowling (and knowing that the ball hit you).

Posted by Lizzy on (July 6, 2012, 18:46 GMT)

One shot that captures the side of cricket that sometimes we forget about when we're watching international or county cricket. Cricket for crickets sake, on a beach with a father and son.

Beautiful photograph

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Philip Brown
An Australian freelance cricket photographer who has been based in England for over 20 years, Philip Brown has photographed over 150 Test matches and numerous one-day and T20 tournaments around the world. Possibly his proudest moment was winning a gold medal for barbecuing burgers and hot dogs at the Murrumbateman show.

All articles by this writer