Coach's two-year contract-extension turned down December 17, 2005

Cooley dismayed at ECB

Cricinfo staff



Watchful eye: Troy Cooley's influence on England's resurgence as a world-beating side cannot be underestimated © Getty Images
Troy Cooley, who earlier this week was appointed bowling coach to Australia, has spoken of his disappointment of the ECB's decision not to offer him a two-year extension to his contract. Cooley requested the deal in May but, he claims, the ECB would only offer a one-year appointment.

"I would have been happy to stay with England - but May was really the time to have settled it," Cooley told The Guardian. "By the time I got around to negotiating with them [the ECB] again, towards the end of the Ashes, other people were talking to me."

Cooley is widely acknowledged as the man responsible for turning England's bowlers into a world-beating force; in joining the England coaching set-up in 2003, with fellow Australian Rod Marsh at the helm, England's status as a world-class side regained prominence, culminating in winning the Ashes this summer.

Both Marsh and Cooley have now returned to their homeland, but Cooley was quick to state that salaries weren't part of his decision to leave: "The money was not a huge factor, though I do believe in a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. I am an Australian, though, and at some stage, I suppose, I was always going to return," he said. "It's happened sooner than I expected, but it's a great opportunity.

"It's been a fantastic journey and I've enjoyed every minute of it, not only helping the bowlers to perform as a unit but also playing a part in the setting up of what is now a very impressive fast-bowling programme."