Lancashire batsman attacks selectors for omission August 7, 2007

Loye fumes at Graveney's 'lack of respect'

Cricinfo staff



'I don't usually do this, but I am so angry about the situation that I am past caring' © Martin Williamson

Mal Loye, the Lancashire and England batsman, has fired a stinging attack at David Graveney, England's chairman of selectors, for his omission from England's one-day squad against India, as well as September's Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa.

Loye, 34, last played for England against Australia earlier this year and has been in terrific form for Lancashire in the past three seasons. His anger at being left out stems from his exclusion from England's World Cup squad earlier this year, prompting him now to consider international retirement.

"I don't usually do this, but I am so angry about the situation that I am past caring," Loye told the Manchester Evening News. "The selectors have promised me calls but never delivered them. I'm gutted.

"The man who I am talking about called me to say I was basically a fill-in player in Australia, and that was why I didn't go to the West Indies," he said. "It just showed a complete lack of respect. I have kept it all in for 15 years until now. I will make a final decision in about a week, but I know that talking like this will not do me any favours."

Graveney is the subject of Loye's consternation as he was the tour manager for the 1989 breakaway England rebels tour to South Africa. "I remember being on the ground staff at Lord's as a 16-year-old, trying to keep all of the protesters out of the ground," Loye said. "I almost wanted to let them all in because I was against it all too. Then just years later, Graveney is part of the team running English cricket!"

Loye, who was awarded a benefit by Lancashire last week, was part of the original 30 but not selected for the final 15-man squad.

Comments