World Twenty20 2012 September 20, 2012

It's cricket over romance for Briggs

A kindly message to the future mother-in-law of Danny Briggs, proud husband to be and excited England spinner: when he remarked in Colombo that the World Twenty20 was a priority compared to his wedding, the words probably just got tangled up and it did not quite come out as it should have.

After all, he had just taken three Pakistan wickets in England's final warm-up in Colombo and can now anticipate playing a central role in their defence of the trophy. If he did not seem entirely abreast of the detailed arrangements for his wedding, it was probably just a touch of the sun.

He might be flighty as spinners go, but he does not seem at all flighty off the field. He is a softly-spoken, polite lad who still lives on the Isle of Wight and travels over for Hampshire matches on the ferry.

If Briggs' future wife, Linsey, was naïve about the itinerant life of a professional cricketer, she was naïve no longer when their wedding, scheduled for the end of September, was postponed until October so England's up-and-coming young spinner could take part in World Twenty20.

Actually, even the rearranged wedding date is far from perfect as it clashes with Hampshire's qualification matches in the Champions League, meaning that Briggs will only fly out if Hampshire reach the final stages. For cricket obsessives, it is a bit of a shame that it was not postponed for a second time, but priorities can be tricky things.

Briggs himself, the first of Isle of Wight cricketer to represent England, shrugs it off manfully. "It is so busy with cricket, you never know where you are going to be," he said. "I do miss the Champions League qualification because of the wedding, but I changed wedding plans once for World Twenty20, which was obviously the priority. I will fly out if Hampshire qualify."

It is to be hoped that the Champions League does not cause the honeymoon too much disruption.

England's World Twenty20 campaign begins in earnest at the R Premadasa Stadium on Friday and instead of his wife-to-be whispering sweet nothings in his ear under candlelight, he is likely to be faced by the wanton aggression of Afghanistan's batsmen under floodlights. He cannot be sure of selection, though, so early in the tournament on a Premadasa surface that will favour the pace bowlers more than spinners before the pitches tire, but his time will come.

The wedding is in Taunton, but his thoughts after he had seen off Pakistan were with cricket and he was not noticeably eager to discuss family arrangements with a bunch of journalists. "My wife to be and her family are organising everything," he said. "It's their choice, I just go along with it."

The English tabloids raised a toast with the story. The Daily Star headline had him assuring the family that he would turn up on the big day under the headline: "Aisle Be There."

David Hopps is the UK editor of ESPNcricinfo

• theswami on September 21, 2012, 23:06 GMT

Congrats Briggsie for "bowling a maiden over" ..... Sometimes bowling a maiden over is all that life requires ....

• keep_simple on September 21, 2012, 21:21 GMT

world cup winning squad-------- 1- mohammad hafeez 2- nasir jamshed 3- umar akmal 4- kamran akmal 5- asad shafiq 6- shoaib malik 7- shahid afridi 8- abdul razzaq 9- sohail tanveer 10- umar gul 11- saeed ajmal ------------------------ bowlers-- 1- sohail tanveer 2- shahid afridi 3- saeed ajmal 4- umar gul 5- mohammad hafeez 6- shoaib malik 7- abdul razzaq

• ARad on September 21, 2012, 19:12 GMT

Afridi, if he had gotten married at '18', was only 18 is Pakistani years. ;-)

• ARad on September 21, 2012, 19:11 GMT

emmersonne, I wouldn't have minded you prioritizing Ashes over meeting my parents at all. So... if you are still single, do you have an okcupid page? ;-)

• on September 21, 2012, 16:32 GMT

afridi was 18 when he got married...

• kkk999 on September 21, 2012, 7:44 GMT

whats wrong with briggs!!!!! hes just a kid his age is just 21!!!!! never heard of any cricketer get married so early....

• phoenixsteve on September 20, 2012, 20:50 GMT

An interesting dilemma and an even more interesting choice? Maybe because he's bowled "one maiden over" he thinks he can do it in Sri Lanka? As for his comparative prospects of scoring..... well .... you know? Good luck Briggsy.... COME ON ENGLAND!!!

• Juiceoftheapple on September 20, 2012, 20:15 GMT

JG I couldnt disagree more on the starting XI. Kies, Hales, Wright, Morgan, Buttler, Bairstow, Swann, Broad, Dernbach, Briggs, Finn...all the way.

• on September 20, 2012, 17:28 GMT

Pray for Afridi Performance

• Aristotle01 on September 20, 2012, 15:18 GMT

WHAT???? Isnt he only 21? Aint he too young to get married? Lol. I thought those days of getting married at the age of 20 and 21 were long gone thirty years ago! And all this talk of putting cricket before romance is no big deal. People play the game depsite the loss of a loved one(Sachin lost his dad yet played on 99 WC, Aleem Dar lost his daughter during the 2003 WC) Postponing his marriage is NO BIG DEAL at all......

• theswami on September 21, 2012, 23:06 GMT

• keep_simple on September 21, 2012, 21:21 GMT

• ARad on September 21, 2012, 19:12 GMT

Afridi, if he had gotten married at '18', was only 18 is Pakistani years. ;-)

• ARad on September 21, 2012, 19:11 GMT

• on September 21, 2012, 16:32 GMT

afridi was 18 when he got married...

• kkk999 on September 21, 2012, 7:44 GMT

• phoenixsteve on September 20, 2012, 20:50 GMT

• Juiceoftheapple on September 20, 2012, 20:15 GMT

• on September 20, 2012, 17:28 GMT

Pray for Afridi Performance

• Aristotle01 on September 20, 2012, 15:18 GMT

• landl47 on September 20, 2012, 15:12 GMT

I wonder what kind of a batter his wife-to-be is? He's going to need some practice before the Champions League.

• Hammond on September 20, 2012, 13:19 GMT

You've got your priorities sorted Mr Briggs ;)

• mgr125128 on September 20, 2012, 12:29 GMT

LOL what an awkward statement to make?

• emmersonne on September 20, 2012, 12:19 GMT

Huh. When I told my boyfriend I couldn't go and meet his parents because I was off to watch England play in the deciding Test of the Ashes, he wasn't nearly so understanding. No wonder it didn't last...

• on September 20, 2012, 11:41 GMT

WoW he is soo eager to marry this girl , that she has to arrange everything and he will just show up , because cricket is his first priority ? Why is SHE marrying him again ?

• JG2704 on September 20, 2012, 11:39 GMT

I really hope he is selected , provided conditions warrant it. The guy has something about him in terms of bottle. I think my starting 11 (and it won't be this side) would be Hales,Lumb,Wright,Morgan,Buttler (WK),Bairstow, Patel or Bresnan (depending on conditions) , Swann,Broad,Briggs,Dernbach, The likelihood will be that they stick with the same batsman which played in the recent warm up games and Finn will play either in place or Jade or Bres/Patel or Briggs. I hope that Craig will prove his doubters inc myself wrong but I also like the left hand right hand combo.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• JG2704 on September 20, 2012, 11:39 GMT

• on September 20, 2012, 11:41 GMT

• emmersonne on September 20, 2012, 12:19 GMT

• mgr125128 on September 20, 2012, 12:29 GMT

LOL what an awkward statement to make?

• Hammond on September 20, 2012, 13:19 GMT

You've got your priorities sorted Mr Briggs ;)

• landl47 on September 20, 2012, 15:12 GMT