Rahul Dravid's retirement

Dravid walks off, sad but proud

Sharda Ugra in Bangalore

March 9, 2012

Rahul Dravid's retirement from international cricket was announced at his home ground, the Chinnaswamy Stadium, in a function room filled with more than 200 people. Family, team-mates, friends, KSCA members, officials and journalists had gathered - as did fans watching a live broadcast on national television - to mark the end of a remarkable career and a "reassuring presence" in the Indian team. Dravid, the second-highest run-getter in the history of Test cricket, possibly the last of India's classical Test batsmen, was a cricketer who successfully straddled the old school with the new age, becoming a pivotal figure in the growth of India's Test team in the 21st century.

The press conference began on schedule and, within three-quarters of an hour, Dravid left the room and international cricket as he had walked in. Swift, smooth, business-like, and, on Friday, to the sound-and-light burst of camera flashbulbs. The significance of Friday's announcement will be understood only six months down the line, when India play Test cricket for the first time in 16 years without the most reliable one-drop in their history.

The decision to retire was not sudden, he said; the period of contemplation had lasted over a year as he assessed his game series after series. The disappointment of the Australia tour had not given him any 'eureka' moment around his decision to leave the game. "I didn't take the decision based on one series… these decisions are based on a lot of other things, it's the culmination of a lot of things. I don't think it's based on what happened in the last series. For each one it comes differently, for me it's come with a bit of contemplation, a bit of thought, with friends and family."

Rahul Dravid announces his retirement from international cricket, Bangalore, March 9, 2012
On Friday, Rahul Dravid retired after 16 years in international cricket © Associated Press

On his return from Australia, Dravid spent a month, taking out the "emotion" from the overall result in order to "look at things dispassionately," he said. At the end he said, "I came to this decision and when I came to it, I was very clear in my mind." It had, he said, been easy as it was difficult, that he had known "deep down in his heart" that it was time for the "next generation of the young Indian cricketer" to take over.

It was tough to leave "the life I have lived for 16 years and, before that, five years of first class cricket. It [cricket] is all I have known all my grown life … it wasn't a difficult decision for me because I just knew in my heart that the time was right, and I was very happy and comfortable in what I had achieved and what I had done. You just know deep down that it is time to move on and let the next generation take over."

Dravid entered the function room straight into a scrum of photographers, looking almost apologetic at having caused such a fuss. He was dressed in his India blazer and seated on the podium next to BCCI president N Srinivasan and his former team-mate, captain and now KSCA president, Anil Kumble. The walls around him were lined with portraits of Karnataka's Test players, in the front row of the audience were members of his family, team-mates and the cricket community of the city.

He began by reading out his statement, his voice steady as he listed the people who'd played a part in every stage of his career - coaches, selectors, trainers, physios, officials, team-mates, family, even the media. He ended with the Indian cricket fan. "The game is lucky to have you and I have been lucky to play before you… My approach to cricket has been reasonably simple: it was about giving everything to the team, it was about playing with dignity and it was about upholding the spirit of the game. I hope I have done some of that. I have failed at times, but I have never stopped trying. It is why I leave with sadness but also with pride."

With the statement ended and applause breaking out, Dravid looked at his wife in the first row. There was both relief and calm on his face and something other than television lights reflecting in his eyes. After the contemplation and the deliberation, the conversations with people he trusted, it was over.

Dravid became the first of India's senior-most cricketers - Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman being the others - to quit the game after a season of speculation surrounding their future. His decision follows a poor tour of Australia but he enjoyed a prolific run through 2011, scoring five centuries - including four in the Caribbean and England. However, he is set to captain Rajasthan Royals in the upcoming IPL season.

Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid walk at the end of the day, England v India, 1st Test, Lord's, 1st day, July 19, 2007
Kumble called Dravid one of Karnataka's "finest cricketing sons" and spoke of his "reassuring presence" for India in the dressing room and on the field. © Getty Images

The biggest surprise of the afternoon, however - far more unexpected than even the finality of Dravid's retirement - was to follow. It came from BCCI president N Srinivasan: a man famous for an undemonstrative, glacial public face made an emotional and heartfelt speech. He spoke extempore of an "irreplaceable" cricketer, his voice wavering more than once. Srinivasan recalled having watched Dravid "grow from the days he played club cricket in Chennai, from the Ranji Trophy days … to the time he captained India". Dravid, he said, was an "ambassador for the sport, for the Indian team and for India".

"None of us really want to see such great players go away, we like to think they are permanent," Srinivasan said. "I think that deciding when to retire is possibly the hardest decision Rahul has ever faced. It is not easy to say adieu…"

Kumble called Dravid one of Karnataka's "finest cricketing sons" and spoke of his "reassuring presence" for India in the dressing room and on the field. It was Kumble who got Dravid to eventually crack his first smile of the afternoon, when he said the KSCA would now "expect to see you often in the association wearing the administrative hat." There were also a few tips on life after retirement, Kumble telling Dravid that apart from being busier "with exceptional demands made on your time, your ability to say no will be challenged like never before".

Sitting in the audience was Dravid's former team-mate Javagal Srinath, the current KSCA secretary, who had walked into the room before the event to check if the arrangements were in order. Dravid's immediate future includes six weeks of the IPL and he offered no clues as to whether he would take up a post-retirement life as coach, administrator or commentator. "I truly believe that some time away from the game will be good for me, I've played the game for 20 years I've lived in a cocoon, in a surreal world, this world has been away from reality in some ways." He did say though that because he loved routines, his return to the real world could include his new routines that involve dropping his sons off at school and shopping for groceries.

Among Dravid's contemporaries, both Kumble and Sourav Ganguly retired just after Test matches and Dravid was asked whether he had not wanted to end his career that way, walking off a field of play. "Just to keep playing for the sake of playing just one Test match, I didn't think was right." He needed to play, "for the right reasons - to win Test matches for India. I've done that for 16 years and I feel the time was right, I've had a great run. I have given this some thought … at the end of the day when a player has to go, he knows he has to go and I didn't feel the need to drag it on longer [in order to have a farewell Test]." Dravid was replying to questions in three of the four languages he speaks, taking particular pride in receiving special applause from the back of the room for working his way through a fairly long answer in Kannada.

Along with his wife, sons and brother, Dravid had walked onto the Chinnaswamy field for a short while just before he came in to speak to the media. The stadium was his finishing school before his graduation to Test cricket, and the adjacent NCA nets turned into a trusted training ground over the past decade where Dravid had always showed up early to work on his game.

Now retired, he will finally be free of the 7am gym and nets sessions. But what about the pure love of just batting? Of striking the ball with bat? Wouldn't he want to steal into the nets just for a hit or two? Dravid paused for a moment, smiled and then said: "Probably in the quiet. I'll come very late at night."

On the day he left the international game, this became the perfect final image of Rahul Dravid. Not that of the obdurate competitor in the arclights of cricket's 'surreal' centre. But of the "reassuring presence", of the craftsman in the quiet of dusk, of the man who never stopped trying.

Sharda Ugra is senior editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sharda Ugra

Posted by zico123 on (March 12, 2012, 15:53 GMT)

Dravid is an absolute legend, he is one of finest, greatest cricketer World have ever produced, 10,000 runs in both Tests and ODIs !!! and he is so humble, gentleman, great ambassador of the game. his technique is best in the world and so is his slip catching, it will be big boot to fill, Pujara should be like for like replacement.

Posted by Nampally on (March 12, 2012, 15:31 GMT)

Sorry for my late comment. I could not get access to cricinfo even though I have been a regular conributer to these columns for the past 5 years. First of all it is so sad to see the end of Rahul's career. No words can describe his immense contributions to the Indian Cricket as a batsaman, Captain & as an outstanding slip fielder. In addition his oratory skills & hid cool & calm collected manners & charater are example for an excellent role model for any youngster to emulate. Rahul must rank amongst the all time greats like Merchant, Hazare, Umrigar, Kapil, Pataudi,Kumble, Gavaskar & Tendulkar.He will be irreplacable both as a cricketer & an ambassador for India. I am sure he will contribute in other forms to the game such as a Selector, BCCI member & Team Manager & Coach. I wish Rahul the best of luck & know that he will be successful in wht ever he will do in his retired life. We have limited time in our careers, Life or jobs. You can only do our best. Rahul's best was just great!

Posted by   on (March 12, 2012, 12:38 GMT)

Laxman is "God of 4th Innings". Ganguly is "God of the 4th Innings". Sachin is the "God of Cricket". But when the temples of these Gods are closed, Even the Gods are behind "The Wall". My salute to Rahul Dravid.

Posted by   on (March 12, 2012, 11:51 GMT)

GREAT PLAYER GREAT MAN .HAT OFF FOR RAHUL.HE WILLBE GREATLY MISSED BY THOSE WHOLOVE TEST CRICKET.

Posted by   on (March 12, 2012, 9:00 GMT)

Rahul, I was privileged to attend your press conference and ask you a question. You are an absolute legend and from now on cricket will not take away much time of mine. You have elevated the status of the game of cricket by being in it. Humble kind selfless and unassumingly modest something tells me that the likes of Rahul Dravid will never return to Indian cricket. Thanks for the memories. You are a monument set in stone. History will take care of the rest.

Posted by iccchariman on (March 12, 2012, 8:28 GMT)

Probably the best period of world cricket would have been 90s to 2000. We have seen agressive bowlers, batsmen, feilders and teams! It can be argued bcos of WI and AUS of 70s produced finest cricketres. But the cricket has become more popular and produced more qulaity players, records everything in 90s. Rahul Dravid is one of the Finest cricketer the game has everseen. It is always sad some finest players go behind the curtain once for ever. Dravid, we will miss you! Your name will be written in Golden letters along with few other greats which topped s by Sir Donald bradman! I may feel the same the day When PONTING calls it a day! PONTING is my all time great! But, the sad day for world cricket would be the day when The little master walks down. Please do not criticise him saying he is selfish. He has done a lot to world cricket! Simply don't forget the past! We all expect 100plus from sachin when we expect only 50 from others! That keeps him one step ahead of all other greats!

Posted by SRIRAM25 on (March 12, 2012, 4:54 GMT)

Hi Rahul, you were the only reason I followed cricket particularly test cricket. In all our busy lives with ups and downs, the one thing that kept me going and provided cheer was following your career and your performances. I have been your great fan since your first class cricket days back in 90-91 and will really miss you. Cricket will never the same without you. Thank You SIR.

Posted by abhiabhiangel on (March 11, 2012, 22:34 GMT)

Salute Mr. Classic, Mr. Dedication, Mr. Commitment, Mr. Sincere, Mr. Integrated, Mr. Consistent, Mr. Fitness, Mr. Cool, Mr. Dependable, . . .

Jammy, He, himself, the Great Wall of India . . .

A Role Model for all not born as great but to count for in due course.

& finally for me Mr. Inspiration.

"He called me two days ago & told he's retire. I told him the decision is right but couldn't help my throat crying." - as Tweeted by Mr. Harsha Bhogle.

Welcome Mr. Rahul Sharad Dravid to the world beyond the highest level of Cricket . . . but Cricket is surely gonna miss you . . .

Posted by abhiabhiangel on (March 11, 2012, 22:02 GMT)

After years, I am feeling like a teenager & perhaps even behaving like the same. Though I am a Professional now but anyhow unable to control my emotions & deal with the fact that My Hero will never play at the highest level again & the whole world is gonna miss him. The same has happened to me perhaps after 26 August 2003 when another Hero of mine Peter Sampras retired from the scene . . . since then Tennis has never been a very Important thing for me & perhaps now it's time for Cricket to loose the Status of Important for me.

Alas, he should've & surely could've ended with more lights upon him . . . But needless to say if it was him the fashion must've been the most elegent & his decision must've been a decision of his soul.

16 years passed just in blink witnessing his prowess, committment, dedication & integrity. He always did, does & will inspire me to "Never say die. Come what may !"

Posted by mukesh_LOVE.cricket on (March 11, 2012, 20:10 GMT)

We love you Rahul dravid , thought a lot about what to write here , but then like sachin said , no tribute is enough for someone like dravid , CLASS is such an over used word right now but you are one person among the very few who really deserves it , both on and off the field... thanks for all the great memories.. a legend of the game and a gentleman , All Indians (even my mom who doesn't watch cricket says dravid is such a gentleman) are proud of you.

Posted by kishi1312 on (March 11, 2012, 14:21 GMT)

SIR RAHUL DRAVID u deserve this. What an ambassador for INDIAN Cricket. A great ambassador of Test Matches. Its because of you i stay to watch test matches. The way u play the way u stroke the way u take your innings...You r undoubtedly replaceable. Thanks for making us proud. Thanks for your contribution. Now spend your life well..Long live Dravid. Wish that i could meet this great man a day . The test matches will now become a debate.. Miss you to c u in Whites(with a man standing alone at one side when every one marches to pavillion).. Live the way u love SIR.

Posted by bharry on (March 11, 2012, 12:45 GMT)

From now there will be no enjoyment for me to watch cricket, especially Test Cricket. Most acclaimed and most criticized Indian player, it was one time Selectors where thinking that he cant play ODI but he prove them wrong. First recipient of ICC player of the year and Test cricket of the year, proves that he is one of the great players of Cricket whenever if their is a discussion Temperament and patience the first name will be Sir. Rahul Dravid. He was my Idol and reason to watch Cricket but now i will support Rajastan Royals because he is Captain and playing for them. He was the definition of Batting , and i personally wanted him as Batting Coach of Indian Team, so that at least current generation can bat in Cricket otherwise tell them to play only politics in the ground. He was RD ( Rocking Defense) There is one wall in China and next in India but now Indian lineup is without wall, Tell them to play with wall rather then Bat. There are no words in dictionary to define him. SALUTE

Posted by SRIRAM25 on (March 11, 2012, 11:52 GMT)

Dear Rahul, Cricket will never be the same without you. Thank you very much for all these years. It was an honor to follow your game. You have been the ultimate cricketer who has always given his best and have been an epitome of dedication, dignity and courage. I cannot fully describe what I feel but I will say this..., when you did well, I used to feel elated and happy and when you failed, my spirits would be down. It was that kind of special connect. All the best to You and your Family. I consider my privilege to be your great Fan and am sure there are many who feel like this. Thank You once again.

Posted by Silverbails on (March 11, 2012, 9:57 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is my FAVOURITE player in all of Indian cricket, perhaps only comparable with the legendary Sunil Gavaskar in his influence on the whole of the Indian team. And, in Test matches, in particular, he's literally unparalled in his achievements, particularly in guiding India to Test match wins (where he was as equally as important as that other legend, VVS Laxman!!). You knew HOW important his wicket was to the opposition in their celebration of his particular wicket. I salute Rahul for all his achievements, and wish him THE VERY BEST in all of his future pursuits...he'll be sadly missed in Indian front - line cricket!! Too many brilliant memories of classical batting over the years to recount here!!And, a brilliant example, also, of a dignified and distinuished Human Being, to boot!! All the best for the future, Rahul...from your No. 1 fan!!

Posted by Mehdi_shah on (March 11, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

The game has not been lucky to have us Indian fans, it has been lucky to have Dravid. It has been a privilege for us to cheer for him rather than him to play for us. He will always be India's greatest test match batsman.

Posted by RandyOZ on (March 11, 2012, 6:39 GMT)

Dravid, the greatest Indian batsman of all time. Batting at 3 and not chasing personal records, and a true champion.

Posted by kurups on (March 11, 2012, 5:52 GMT)

The heartfelt tributes the great Dravid is getting is testment to his unique unflappable qualities as a true gentleman and a delightful classical cricketer. As a true test cricket fan myself I will have dravid at the top of the list. Very sad to see him leave but am blessed that I lived during his playing times and feel for the next generation who did not and may not get a chance to see test cricket in its true spirit and even such an accomplished Test Cricketer!! Rahul, the legend,...have fun in life after cricket! You deserve it more than anyone else! "Steve waugh gave grit a good name"..."Dravid gave grit an even better name".

Posted by Ahmed00 on (March 11, 2012, 5:29 GMT)

Especially for The Wall: You were one of the very fine batsmen and sportsmen I have ever watched. Thank you for entertaining us for so many years. May Allah Pak bless you with all the happiness and satisfaction in your life.... Abdul Hameed from Pakistan.

Posted by MrArmchairCricket on (March 11, 2012, 4:27 GMT)

Congratulations on a stellar career Rahul. It'd have been nice if you had a better finish to your career here in Australia, nevertheless, I've enjoyed watching you bat, even when you demoralised Australia at Kolkata in 2001 with VVS Laxman. All the best in your future endeavours.

Posted by kapil76 on (March 11, 2012, 1:21 GMT)

Dear Rahul, Thanks for adelaide, thanks for kolkata, thanks for headingley, thanks for many others!! Life will carry on but won't be the same. Good luck!!

Posted by slip_catcher on (March 10, 2012, 21:58 GMT)

Thanks Rahul Dravid for being what he was to the Indian cricket team. I hope you have made the future generations of Indian cricket confident of facing fast bowling in conditions helpful to fast bowling. Your dedication to tem has been simply exemplary. My utmost respect. All the best for your future career. I hope you will be writing/commenting on criinfo.com

Posted by psprasa on (March 10, 2012, 21:45 GMT)

After years of reading cricinfo, never felt the need to register and comment on an article, did that just now so i can say something about the great man. I still remember watching him wield the willow for the first time in a international match (first time i watched him), sporting a mustache. It was a brief stay, thinking just made it to double figures, but i still can't forget his cover drives, two of them. with his classic patented style bent on the knees and caressing it away. WOW that was stylish just too good. Here was a guy who has arrived with a class, a technical virtuoso. He was a Beethoven among the noise makers. How many times has he saved India from defeat, taking the weight on his shoulders. He lived in the wrong times as his achievements were masked by another great or greatest ( the GOD).. Most people agree that he is a genuinely nice guy. Rare breed , gentlemen. Dravid, we will be "wall less" and exposed. Yet you made the right decision. Thank you for entertaining us.TC

Posted by AsherCA on (March 10, 2012, 20:59 GMT)

Rahul Dravid was one of the better sportsmen I have seen. If he had retired before going to England OR even before going to Australia, I would have been sad to see him go, I would have called him a GREAT Team man - voluntarily leaving the stage for the betterment of the side. However, he chose to offer himself for selection when his mind & body were clearly not backing him. As a senior statesman on the side, the selectors respected his judgement when he said "I am good enough to play" AND he was found wanting. England - he was unfit to run on the field & therefore could only stand in the slips - there he could not catch, resulting in our bowlers looking worse than they actually are however, there was some grace & class in his batting. Australia - he just could not score but chose to play all the 4 tests, ensuring that none of the youngsters got any opportunity to share the middle with Sachin / Lakshman. Not sure I can respect Dravid as a "team man" after what he did.

Posted by krkvarma on (March 10, 2012, 19:42 GMT)

You have served the country very well and made the country proud.

You are more dependable than any other indian team mate.

Ravi Kalidindi

Posted by SagirParkar on (March 10, 2012, 19:36 GMT)

i am actually a little disappointed that among all of Cricinfo's readership only 168 bothered to comment. even on other articles and tributes by other authors, the count barely makes it to 80... wonder if this was the case if it was Tendulkar who had announced his retirement.. perhaps the numbers are a reflection of the cricket fans' allegiance.. still doesnt take away from the fact that Dravid was as good as any other batsman and his value to the team was perhaps greater than his peers.

Posted by saraya on (March 10, 2012, 18:11 GMT)

I wonder, way all great cricketers don't retire at age of 58 which we all do.. if so we would have enjoyed cricket for longer time.

I am feeling so bad, wonder would I feel the same when Sachin retires though I worship him more than anyone else, may be DR is one who has retire whom I have loved a lot in 15 last year's…

We have heard from many commentators saying about hole in the wall… I don't know how much that is true but certainly there is BIG hole in Indian cricket team… Love you RD… We are proud of you… Salute !

Posted by cricketlovee on (March 10, 2012, 17:58 GMT)

not an Indian and also not a huge fan of Dravid but i cried today.....its really sad

Posted by only_sehwag on (March 10, 2012, 17:10 GMT)

I had decided not to watch IPL this year - but will have to watch it now to see 'The Wall' play competitive cricket one last time, this is probably his last year in IPL too.

Posted by chandan704 on (March 10, 2012, 17:01 GMT)

why in the "The second Tied Test, 1986 the match" India vs Australia result in tie after being wickets are not exactly same since Australia have declared the both innings respectively in 574/7d and 170/5d and India were all out in both the innings and in the rules in wiki shows wickets exactly has to be same. plz ans me as quick as u can

Posted by chandan704 on (March 10, 2012, 17:00 GMT)

Posted by JoseBautista on (March 10, 2012, 16:54 GMT)

hey guys...atleast we are going to see him in rajasthan as captain...i am a royals fan now!

Posted by Parthas on (March 10, 2012, 16:20 GMT)

In my opinion, the greatest Indian test batsman full stop

Posted by senvyuha on (March 10, 2012, 16:03 GMT)

my eyes will be filled with tears if i see a test match without "The Wall" ,his game and dedication is a symbol of loyalty with batting what a player i really miss you dravid

Posted by kunaljha on (March 10, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

always underestimated in the likes of the Tendulkar's, Sehwag's and Dhoni's ..... this man is a true ambassador of the game. Its sad to see the way he had to go. Honestly, it could have been much better.. if there's 1 person who should take notes from this is VVS Laxman.. no disrespect but he should himself realize that his performance hasn't been upto the mark (especially outside the subcontinent and in the recently concluded test series against AUS and ENG). but this is not about him... its about JAMMY...!! thats the name i remember for Rahul Dravid.. we'll miss you... cant wait for you to become the INDIAN CRICKET TEAMS'S COACH... all the best.. :)

Posted by chara17 on (March 10, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

Great Cricketer, Great Human, Humble and gentle all the way. Showed the world that this is a gentleman's game, showed the face of Real Indian. Surely made Indians Proud!!!!.

Thankyou Dravid for giving us such wonderfull cricket. Love and Lots of Love from A.Rahim - Karachi Pakistan!!!!

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (March 10, 2012, 13:44 GMT)

Is the sadness I feel because we do not see this particular quality so evident in Dravid and underpinning his achievements absent from the current and future generation of Indian cricketers whose ethos is one tenth perspiration in the hope it brings nine tenths inspiration. RD Thank you for all the pleasure you have given me. I salute you. Enjoy the school run!

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (March 10, 2012, 13:41 GMT)

I have never met Rahul Dravid and I am sure he does not know who I am and yet I feel a sadness and emptiness at the announcement of his retirement from the game. Is it because I will never see his like again? I don't think so. I think the explanation lies somewhere beyond cricket and in the saying that genius is nine parts perspiration and one part inspiration. Rahul Dravid is the embodiment of, not working hard, but working smart and that means knowing when to work hard and when to enjoy the fruits of one's labour. But what is clear to me is that without his labour and intelligence, Dravid's genius would not have manifested itself. There have been, are and will be countless others who have input the nine parts of labour but won't realise that desired one part because that is beyond their control, some would say in the hands of the divine. But there are even more who cannot even contemplate putting their heart and soul into what they do.

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (March 10, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

Today we say good bye to one of the truly great batsmen of the game. And by great I mean a player who would have succeeded in any era. A moot point as this theory can never be proved, or disproved, but nevertheless a theoretical benchmark by which to measure his standing amongst the pantheons of the game. Rahul Dravid is probably the last classical Test batsmen with textbook technique and temperament and to match and his will to refuse to yield to the opposition. Despite his achievements and there have been many I feel they will be always be overshadowed by three of his more illustrious colleagues namely Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly. Each of these four players have made immeasurable contributions to Indian cricket and to the wider game but I believe that the way Indian culture and society is, Dravid has not received his full and deserved recognition by the cricketing authorities, commentators, media or fans.

Posted by lakshitha.jayakody on (March 10, 2012, 13:35 GMT)

Hats off for the legend!!! He rendered an enormous legacy not only to Indian cricket but to world cricket as well. I think Dravid showed that "when your instinct says that time to depart, you should step down" [before being fired by others]. There are many 37+ players and I feel that they all should look at Dravid's example and rethink about their future. Most of them are targeting 2015, which is an absolute joke.

Posted by heathrf1974 on (March 10, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

Dravid is a universally respected player, he will be missed. My favourite Indian player.

Posted by Er-.S.R.shankar on (March 10, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

Sudden gloom in our family of sports followers. We were more passionate for cricket than other sports and for Dravid than any other cricketer. For me and two sons cricket would never be same again--We would not see style , grit, technique, perseverence, modesty, commitment diginity and devotion all in one cricketer again though shades of each manifest in some cricketers

Big salute with choked throats and moist eyes

Posted by Sunilnayakin on (March 10, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

Sachin is God....... Saurav is next to God on off side....... Laxman is God of fourth innings........ But when the doors of a temple are closed, Even the God is behind, "THE WALL". WE SALUTE YOU "Mr. Dependable".

Posted by nair_ottappalam on (March 10, 2012, 10:11 GMT)

It is really sad, but inevitable, that the "GREAT WALL OF INDIAN CRICKET", as he was better known, Rahul Dravid, has announced his decision to hang his boots. Cricketers come and go, but legends are there to stay. Whenever the Indian Cricket history is unfolded, the names of Gavaskar, Kapildev, Sachin and Dravid will ever shine in letters of gold. Absolutely no doubt about it. And for me Dravid ranks among the best to have ever played the game of cricket world wide.

Posted by aswines2003 on (March 10, 2012, 9:48 GMT)

Getting to know anything about Indian cricket was always gonna be a breaking news for the Indian Media… that too about a legends retirement. Needless to say what it means to so many cricket fans like to me to hear the news of Rahul Sharad Dravid bidding goodbye to his Cricketing career. But for me it was never a breaking news…….as it was a story that was about to unfold in Indian Cricket that was most expected. Knowing the fact that the next Test series india plays is in the month of July 2012 which is almost 4 months from now, it was never going to be appropriate for Rahul to stay on to his positon rather handing it over to the proven young fearless Virat Kohli. For me seeing Rahul play cricket almost two decades there is not even a pinch of doubt why it is being called as gentlemen's game. He is more of genuine Test cricketer with sheer talent than what you call hit and go kind of Cricketer with sheer power which today's generation expects and loves .

Posted by Raviss on (March 10, 2012, 9:17 GMT)

The finest Gentleman to play cricket in the past 02 decades.. his honesty flowed thru his batting and his demeanour off and on the field.. my heart pains and even shed a tear wen first read abt his retirement.. a Legend.. still had a lot to give.. but unfortunately.. the media was after all the seniors as if they had committed a murder.. by retiring he has even gained more respect.. it will be very difficult to find another Dravid.. the sheey this one day.. but r determination, hardwork.. dont think the Kohlis & Sharmas ppl brag abt do half as much hardwork as Dravid did..a salute to a LEGEND.. my fav player after Sachin.. dint knew dat i will say thlis one day.. but Rahul has surpassed even Sachin for retiring gracefully!!

Posted by Wazzi on (March 10, 2012, 9:10 GMT)

I am a Pakistani and a big fan of Rahul Dravid.

To me he is one of the most talented and stylish batsman world has ever seen. I am gonna miss you Dravid,You are truly a legend, always loved to watch your batting. You've done a great job for your country.

have a nice life

Posted by nair_ottappalam on (March 10, 2012, 9:06 GMT)

This is gracious bowing out. Kudos to Rahul Dravid. No one in the cricketing world especially the media, acknowledged the achievements of this gentleman in the true spirits. He is the second best in the world in terms of runs scored. He was unfortunately overshadowed in his entire career by someone or other, Tendulkar doing it on most occasions. It is quite inspirational to note that 21 of his 36 hundreds were scored for winning cause. He needs a better farewell. I hope the BCCI will persuade him to play one farewell test at Chinnaswamy Stadium. Remember most of the yesteryears players bowed out during a series and got a farewell test. Dravid deserves such a farewell at bangalore

Posted by dasharathreddy on (March 10, 2012, 8:10 GMT)

We want to see Rahul Dravid has a good coach.. he has soo much of talent. Playing for India for 16 years is not small thing. He has the ability to bring the good batsman... Please become a coach bring up new energtic players with patience on the game. mostly for the test.. ur the one who can bring good batsman for the test player for India...

WAITING TO SEE YOU AS COACH FOR ANY TEAM !!

Posted by sudhirku007 on (March 10, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Your are truly a legend i really miss your game. It is delightful for me to watching a classical cricket Legend.

Posted by sourav.nand on (March 10, 2012, 6:52 GMT)

Ahem... First of all let me tell you that just to comment here on Dravid I have registered here just now ! I must say that I am a great fan of him and I put him on the top of all the cricketers. This is really sad that he is leaving cricket and that is for sure that Indian team is loosing one of the greatest player of recent era. Moreover his attitude, his gentleness, his calmness.... just make me enchanted of him. A great source of inspiration he has proven for me... a true legend!!!!!

Posted by RoshanCrasta on (March 10, 2012, 6:31 GMT)

It's very sad to say goodbye so early to my hero whom I followed all these years not only for his great knocks on the Cricket field but also for being such a wonderful Human Being, a Fantastic Team Man, Selfless, Mr. Dependable, True gentleman, a Legend and Greatest Ambassador of Cricket. Thank you Rahul Dravid for making our country proud & wish you all the best for your future. I am sure you will make a right decision in the coming days to be associated with cricket & will not say "NO" to whatever you have been asked to do for the better of Country's future especially in Cricket; I would like to see you back in action very soon. "The Wall" You will be missed badly.

Posted by sanjibsaha on (March 10, 2012, 5:53 GMT)

He is the best cricketer India has ever produced in the last 20 years. A guy you can always count on when greats are down. He is one of my best heroes forever. I learned what fightback is seeing him batting. Things never came to him easily as he had a earn every bit of it. A man of actions and what a character.

Posted by veerakannadiga on (March 10, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

Can India or for that matter any country produce just one player like Dravid in the future so that followers like me can continue to watch cricket, test cricket in particular? Thank you Dravid for deciding to take batting as your profession.

Posted by Urajapakse on (March 10, 2012, 4:49 GMT)

One of the very few GENTLEMEN who played the game in recent time.

He was REALLY WISE to have retired at the correct time. People in Sri Lanka has/had great respect to this wonderful man.

Posted by Venugopala on (March 10, 2012, 3:41 GMT)

Wishes for Dravid for a great Personal life!! Great talent with remarkable skill!! A humble person, a sedant cricketer loved by everyone in the cricketing community!! Long live Dravid!! We are proud that u held our head high for so long!! A true legend!! Hats off to u!! We are proud..

Posted by only_sehwag on (March 10, 2012, 3:35 GMT)

the tears just don't stop flowing..

Posted by rollyko on (March 10, 2012, 3:06 GMT)

Rahul Dravid, a very classy batsman and a very classy human being.

Posted by shamlaatu on (March 10, 2012, 2:25 GMT)

Perhaps the last of the finest gentleman in cricket who is an even better human being. It's a blessing to have lived in the era of Rahul Sharad Dravid.

Posted by Sachin-all_time_hero on (March 10, 2012, 2:21 GMT)

We miss you buddy!!.. you are a true legend........

Posted by insightfulcricketer on (March 10, 2012, 1:50 GMT)

Abiding image in my mind of Dravid is that flicked on-drive past mid-wcket and the ball sizzling along the turf. Plus his impeccably ironed clothes and perfect walk to the wicket.What a guy!!Fighter to core - great hands in slip especially during the period of 2001-2007. You will be well and truly missed.

Posted by RohanMarkJay on (March 10, 2012, 1:04 GMT)

Probably the best cricketer India has produced in the last 20 years. Thats right above Sachin Tendulkar and others. He will be greatly missed by us cricket fans.

Posted by newMachine on (March 10, 2012, 0:15 GMT)

Its sad when legends have to depart, Dravid would surely be missed at the international level..Congrats on an excellent career.

Posted by RAMKI2404 on (March 10, 2012, 0:09 GMT)

He is one of very few cricketers the entire cricketing world misses.

Posted by Sunil_India on (March 10, 2012, 0:08 GMT)

He was one of the most discussed about batsmen in the opposition dressing room.It's our problem(read thanklessness) not to give due credit to his achievements and performances in the last decade and a half.I still remember his two innings in a test match at Jo'borg against Donald & Co. and he was only 6 months into his international career.They branded him a test player.Look at his figures in ODIs,he has done better than most of those ODI specialists.Still he was thrown out of the team for the sake of bringing youth into the team,still we are not winning!!! Great thinker,I still hope BCCI take advantage of him by introducing him into some kind of administration.WILL MISS U RD The Wall.

Posted by psubbu79 on (March 9, 2012, 23:48 GMT)

Since the day I got to know that Rahul had called for a press conference, I knew that the day had come. And my eyes welled with tears. 25 years of watching him play was finally coming to an end. The reason i get emotional about Dravid is not attributed to his game. I salute him for his exceptional batting abilities. But what made him dearer is who he is. A man of few words, a man who had nothing bad to say about others, a man who disciplined himself to have an absolute go-getter attitude, a man who like Harsha Bhogle put it very aptly, "The wolf who lived for the pack". I have known Rahul since the time I was 10. He is a true example of humility, integrity, character and self-discipline. I still am emotional about writing this as I was praying this day would never come. Rahul is as much an ambassador of selflessness as is he an ambassador of the Gentleman's game - cricket. He played the game at every level like a champion and will now be remembered forever as A CHAMPION!

Posted by binojpeter on (March 9, 2012, 23:39 GMT)

I first heard about Dravid during announcement of probables for WC 1996. He was described as most prolific batsman in domestic circuit. But he did not get the selection. But he selected in triangular ODI series in Sharjah after WC. I saw his batting for the first time against SA. Man, I was just bowled over by his solid technique. Except for Tendulkar, I had never seen a batsmen till then batting with such technique. I remember telling my friends that we need him in Test more than anyone else. He luckily got selected following Manjrekar's injury and proved himself. I also love the way he carried himself free of controversies, his sensible choice of words and his dedication to cricket. It maybe easier to find a batsman with a technique like him but it will be difficult to find a batsman with a temperament like him.

Posted by Adityamandalemula on (March 9, 2012, 23:33 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is like the K2 mountain (8611 meters tall) of the Indian batting line up. Just because of the nearby Mount Everest (8848 meters tall) people just didn't realize what a great player Rahul Dravid is. Rahul Dravid is friendly and legendarily called The Wall. He actually has the rare ability to actually justify this uncommon and a very challenging nickname. The Cricketing world, especially the Indian Cricket, is proud to have received the services of Rahul Dravid. You have been a great Cricketer Rahul Dravid, and we all thank you for the amazing fight you put for us. We miss you Rahul Dravid.

Posted by JoseBautista on (March 9, 2012, 23:29 GMT)

wow....my favorite player....retired....i can write a whole essay write here...but i am just gonna say he was amazing....good luck man!! if there was a cricket hall of fame...you would be in there!! legend!!! i always wanted ur autograph when i was like 7 yrs old or something....now i am 13...and rite now i am really heartbroken....atleast i will see u in ipl....ppl overlooked u....said u were slow....but u were the real pro....when tendulkar retires he mite get more comments than u!!! but in my mind you are the greatest!!! unique!!! thank you so much...one of the reasons why i started watching cricket....classy man!!! thank you!!! i never gave up on u!!! even after 2007 world cup loss!!! ppl in india were to impatient....hopefully you get the respect you deserve in the coming days!!! thank you again...and best of luck after a great career man!!

Posted by vipneh on (March 9, 2012, 23:02 GMT)

Very Sad, Today's day will be remembered as one of the Worst Day in the history of Cricket. Will Miss U Dravid

Posted by 5wombats on (March 9, 2012, 21:21 GMT)

Fanatastic player. An embodiment of all that is fine and correct in Test match style and elegance. Rahul Dravid - saw his first Test match innings at Lord's in 1996. Immediately impressive as solid and difficult to get out. I also had the Privilege of seeing one his last Test match innings again at Lord in 2011 - a century and another classic performance. Great player. It was a delight to take my son to watch Rahul Dravid. I'm so glad my boy had the chance to see him play and score big. He will remember that for the rest of his life. I'm proud to say that "I saw Rahul Dravid". Truly - a cricketer we can all learn from. Well played. Sorry to see him go. I'm choked..

Posted by ravichakra on (March 9, 2012, 20:55 GMT)

Blackest day in Indian Test cricket history. Not too long ago, I stopped watching ODIs and now Tests as well. That to me is the end of "Cricket" itself! Goodbye Rahul Dravid. I ask the media and ex-players to now show which youngster is capable of being India's best Test batsman after baying for Rahul Dravid's blood at the first signs of failure. Yet someone who failed 6 innings earlier continues to play to achieve personal milestones, a perfect team man makes way and once again sacrifices his personal milestones for a team cause. Long live Rahul Dravid!

Posted by has100 on (March 9, 2012, 20:51 GMT)

Rahul Dravid was one of the most elegent, stylish and gifted batsman the world has ever seen. Rahul Dravid was so pleasing to the eye. His timing was incredible and his powers of concentration were at times beyond belief. His consistency over such a period of time was outstanding. As a Pakistan fan, his double hundred against Pakistan in 2004 always stands out as one of the best innings i have ever witnessed. He was so technically gifted and he will be a huge miss, not only for India but for world cricket as a whole. All opposition teams placed huge value on Dravids wicket. Rahul Dravid will be remembered as a truly great player but he will also be remembered as a real gentleman on and off the field. He always came across well in interviews and all his peers speak about him in the highest possible regard. Thankyou Rahul Dravid for such great entertainment over the years. You were a true legend.

Posted by krv954 on (March 9, 2012, 20:49 GMT)

Even though I knew this was coming, I was still deeply saddened when Dravid finally announced his retirement. Dravid was one of the best things to have happened to Indian cricket.

The best thing I remember about Dravid was how everyone criticized Dravid and said his style was not suited to ODI. He worked his way back to the ODI team and silenced his critics (INCLUDING ME) without making too many changes to his playing style. The best part was how he kept wickets for a while in ODI and how crucial his role was during our run to the WC 2003 finals.

Dravid, we miss you already

Posted by desireuben1 on (March 9, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

now this is going to make the pressure more intense on rest of the flop seniors, sachin, sehwag and laxman.

good job dravid

Posted by warnerbasher on (March 9, 2012, 20:40 GMT)

A great batsman and a great man. Much loved in Australia by an army of fans. Was full of grace and class whether at the crease or discussing the game. Cricket needs men like Rahul to stay in the game and teach the younger players about hard work, dedication and pride and that its not all about the money. A credit to Indian cricket and India should be very proud to have such a person represent them in the manner he has over a long and wonderful career. As an Aussie fan his batting caused me heartache(especially Kolkatta and Adelaide) but any observer of cricket would rank those innings amongst the finest ever played. All the best Rahul and love and respect from Australia.

Posted by Madih on (March 9, 2012, 20:32 GMT)

Salute to Rahul Dravid. Very few words define the respect that this person deserves. I am from Pakistan, and have always remained an arch-rival of India but never of Rahul Dravid. no need to get into the stats, Rahul Dravid was one of the finest players ever to grace cricket. It is surely an end of an era and one which will never be replaced. I more than thousands of miles away from where Rahul Dravid is right now, would like to stand up and honour the great work of this legend. We will miss Rahul Dravid. No two opinions regarding the greatness of this cricketer.

Posted by crick-fanatic on (March 9, 2012, 19:51 GMT)

No those who wanted dravid,Laxman and tendulkar's exit are you all happy...Let's see who is going to fill the shoes of the Wall

Posted by Whispering_Holding on (March 9, 2012, 19:47 GMT)

A great player and a great man...just ask the guys he played against

Posted by vajira12 on (March 9, 2012, 19:40 GMT)

By distance India's best batsman over the last 10 years.

Posted by _Oracle_ on (March 9, 2012, 19:36 GMT)

I remember seeing his first Lords innings. Eventhough everybody was gaga over Ganguly because he got 100 and Dravid didn't, I knew this guy was much more solid than Ganguly or others I had seen... Boy he didn't prove me wrong.. And more than anything else, he is a true team-man and a great man.. Hats off to a great man whose contributions to Indian Cricket is greater than most anybody realizes... Hats off to a true great.. It was pleasure watching him play..

Posted by Kavum on (March 9, 2012, 19:18 GMT)

Ho hum, well done. Goodbye.

Posted by paramess28 on (March 9, 2012, 18:55 GMT)

You're the great servant of game of cricket. I am very lucky person to watch your very first match and last match. We miss you very much in cricket field . Thanking you and good luck for your future.

Posted by Rohanbandekar on (March 9, 2012, 18:53 GMT)

I have followed his career very closely right from the day he started. My mates used to make fun of me saying I am idolising a batsman who is too slow. I never stopped defending him and he never let me down. Has been an inspiration all my life. Thank you RD. One humble request to people posting about youngsters in team India, sachin and similar stuff. please guys this is not the time and stage. Give this man the fame he deserves for once I say.

Posted by RameshRayaprolu on (March 9, 2012, 18:52 GMT)

Salutes to the GREAT WALL of Indian cricket ! If not as a player, Indian cricket still needs your services !! It is legends like you that have lifted Indian test cricket over the years. We will miss you as a player, but would want your services to Indian Cricket for few more decades !!

Posted by kentjones on (March 9, 2012, 18:31 GMT)

Hail Dravid!! Star of the Orient! He was a great batsmen, supreme competence, with incredible endurance, and extremely diffiicult to dislodge, who gave his all for his country and for the game of cricket. Please do not expect me to compare him to anyone else. He stands on his own podium shining brightly for all times. He represents the best in professionalism in cricket and is the perfect ambassador for the sport. Such is the measure of the man that I have never heard anyone say anything negative about him. He has risen to the greatest heights, soared above mere mortals and never at the expense of any other person. The shine of his brilliance has been achieved by his own polish and dedication and hard work. Today, Sir Lord Dravid, Your Excellency, we give you all the kudos that are your due and we thank you for those wonderful treasured moments you have graced us with. You will never be forgotten.

Posted by miraclez on (March 9, 2012, 18:26 GMT)

Indian cricket lose one great wall. Mr.Rahul Dravid, Thank you for the tremendous hard work you put in for India. Most of India's greatest test wins have been earned because of you. He deserves his success as he has worked hard for it. He is one of the most down to earth and disciplined professionals I've seen.Very well behaved gentle man not only in field , out side as well. little spoken man...Sad day for me Indeed !!! Miss u Wall !

Posted by distinguished04 on (March 9, 2012, 18:19 GMT)

Respect, Honour, Nobility of Character, finest and nicest cricketer such perfect and pure gentle crickters are rarely born in the history of cricket. One of the true lover of game, always there to try to give his best of the best and mostly successful in it, Very few cricketer are there like Dravid to be respected by each and every cricket lover or all nations and all the times of his career. Such balanced and techincally perfect crickter might not be seen in near future. Hail to Respected Dravid from Pakistani Nation

Posted by Aaaaaron on (March 9, 2012, 18:18 GMT)

Though I am not a fan of Dravid, I am very sad and disappointed today to know that I wont see Dravid playing again in Test Matches. You are the best humble and perfect crickter. Thanks for the memories. No body came close to your kind play in test matches for india in last 20 years and i think it wont be that easyin a long time to fill in your shoes.Happy Retiriement.

Posted by KingOwl on (March 9, 2012, 18:16 GMT)

As a SL fan I must say that I always thought of Dravid not just as a great batsman but also a great human being. Congratulations on a phenomenal career!

Posted by bidru on (March 9, 2012, 18:08 GMT)

thank you rahul dravid for everything you did for indian cricket.You are a true champion,you won india many matches which even sachin failed to do,just because you did'nt play flashy big hitting cricket like sehwag dhoni yuvraj your contribution wasn't as much hyped,v all love u

Posted by SagirParkar on (March 9, 2012, 18:04 GMT)

a gentleman cricketer, unblemished record and thoroughly selfless in his whole career.. always stood up for Team India whenever it needed him. he made more sacrifices than anyone else when it mattered to the team and by his selfless nature he led the way forward... even during these tumultous times, he is the first among the seniors to recognise that there are youngsters who need to come in the squad and take the team forward.. hats off to the man and with this gesture he has inscribed his name as one of the true greats in the annals of the sport... Rahul, tujhe salaam !

Posted by king_lion on (March 9, 2012, 18:01 GMT)

this is tough news to handle man. i was not aware till i saw this news. every 5 minute i comeback to this page and confirm that dravid has retired. i had gone to watch test matches only to see him and sachin play. now its tough for me. may be i am crazy but what can i do, i love cricket. if you love cricket then you have to love dravid and feel sad. i know the new generation will produce one hero but second dravid is like asking for second VV richards. dont know how to handle.

Posted by RAMKI2404 on (March 9, 2012, 17:57 GMT)

It's a very emotional moment for me b/c I have seen Dravid playing cricket from his 1st test match. As Mr Srinivasan told we started believing Dravid, Sachin and Laxman are the integral part of Indian cricket forever. It's very difficult for me to digest that we won't be having our best one down batsman Dravid from next test match, This is the Guy who always assure 1 billion cricket fans of India to hold Indian Innings as long as possible. But the reality bites, everyone has to retire in their respective fields. He is definitely a true ambassador for Indian cricket for the last decade. As Dravid announces his retirement with a confidence on the next generation, it will be a compliment and a challenge for the Next generation. Come-on Guys lets prove Dravid is absolutely right on your capabilities. Sir Rahul Drvaid take a bow from all the cricket lovers from the entire world for your contribution to the Cricket. Enjoy your quality time with Family and Friends.

Posted by tsaj on (March 9, 2012, 17:56 GMT)

An end of great career. Dravid the dependable THE WALL as known of the Indian Cricket team will be missed by all. He was the best batsman in the Indian team batting order.Sad to see him leave without having the standing of people roar for him in his last appearance. Wish he could play his last test cricket & bid adieu to the game. Dravid was the best & will be the best. Dravid the legend will be missed.Wish you all the best for your future.

Posted by king_lion on (March 9, 2012, 17:53 GMT)

the true cricket lover could not help avoid corners of the eyes getting wet with the announcement of dravid getting retired. yes like every era has their giants we have dravid amongst them. fortunate to enjoy his technique for 16 years. a great person who served cricket selflessly. i hope he will assume one of the administrative post to make indian cricket's future better. good luck to him.

Posted by chickentikka on (March 9, 2012, 17:51 GMT)

One of the most sad days I am having now. When Ganguly was retired, almost all Indian TV channels aired programmes on him with a background song "Alwida....alwida" from a bollywood film which means "Good bye..good bye". I was so emotional and crying the whole day. I am not watching TV now because I dont want to cry again. I dont want to be in the reality that I don't see Dravid anymore in cricket field. Very sad day of cricket. Two more emotional days to go in my future. After that, cricket for me would be like a timepass movie watching IPL. Very sad. Truly sad. I am very very disappointed to see Dravid leaving. God please give only one cricket hero for a decade to India than having 4 legends at a time. It is pain watching them leaving. Please have mercy on us.

Posted by endoftest on (March 9, 2012, 17:50 GMT)

for me i have watched india's last test match.....cannot image a test team now without dravid at number 3. Now openers cannot throw their wickets easily as there is no wall backing them. Sachin for sometime be ready to face the ball as early as 5th over of a test match.......best of Luck rahul

Posted by nuffsaid on (March 9, 2012, 17:45 GMT)

What a class, elegant, sportsman, and gentleman. You will be always missed in the middle.

No disrespect, in Bangladesh all are always trying to be flashy like Afridi, Jaysuria, and Shewag, I wish Bangladesh had a player like you. You're a role model and keep it up for the rest endeavor.

God bless you!

Posted by CricHarsh on (March 9, 2012, 17:44 GMT)

There are cricketers who were born to be cricketers and then there is Dravid who could have excelled in any of his chosen field. Lucky for cricket that he chose to play the game. His batting in a sense provided us with a pin hole glimpse of the complete history of the craft. The Hafiz retires with no one to carry the Shruti.

Posted by Sunny.khan on (March 9, 2012, 17:42 GMT)

Cricket would miss a true gentleman...

Posted by Sidath346 on (March 9, 2012, 17:35 GMT)

Definitely one of the best cricketers I've seen and he sure was the WALL of Indian cricket. Your talent will surely be missed. All the best Dravid for a wonderful future. From your fan in Sri Lanka.

Posted by deepakjha1269 on (March 9, 2012, 17:29 GMT)

Indian cricket is going to miss Dravid very badly.He is the best test player India has ever produced. In Indian team no one is capable of playing test cricket like Rahul Dravid.I think he had decided to quit early n the region behind dravid's retirement is dhoni who is a lucky player, not too great to decide the future of greats of cricket like Dravid,Sachin,Laxman,Sehawag ....Infact as a player there is no place for Dhoni in test team of india and he should retire from test cricket as he lacks the technique and class of test batsman.

Posted by vinzcric on (March 9, 2012, 17:20 GMT)

Great man and gentleman of cricket.Mr dependable in all forms of the game.When it comes to dravid as player,people talk about tests and overseas.But he was ready for anything in ODIS,he started his carrer on slower note but later he imporved his career to height by scoring 10,000+ plus runs.Before Dhoni,India was struggling years to produce a wicketkeeper who could bat but Dravid stepped up with the gloves and gave india extra bowler or batsman to win many matches.There can be only one Dravid and only one...

Posted by rmall1 on (March 9, 2012, 17:16 GMT)

What a player, waht a career and what a man. Today all we look at is this twenty20 rubbish of clearing the front foot and one big innings wins you the game...Rahul was a true perfectionist. Frustrated bowling attacks like no other...we talk about Sangakarra, Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara and Kallis...Rahul too should be mentioned in this bracket. For me, his final test hundred of grit and determination where he carried his bat at the Oval surrounded by the most shambolic performance by the rest of the Indian 'legends' epitomises why he is my favourite batsman to watch. Well done on such a fantastic career.

Posted by BIRANCHI_1979 on (March 9, 2012, 17:11 GMT)

Its a privilege to have a player like Mr RAHUL DRAVID, the dependable, the wall in TEAM INDIA. Sooner or later Mr MS DHONI will realize this.It may so happen he never know about this since he does not understand the real form of cricket (TEST).But the entire world who understand this form of cricket will definitely miss this legend of India who help India in winning test matches overseas.Have a great future with your family MR DEPENDABLE.WE ALL WILL MISS U.

Posted by RohitSankaria on (March 9, 2012, 17:10 GMT)

Just pure cricket, pure magic. It was an honor watching Dravid leave those stingy deliveries outside off stump and the ecstasy of watching the bowler going back to his mark to bowl the next delivery with a heavy head. Epitome of self less service, treat to eyes of cricket lovers, digged day in and out on dusty sub continent and grassy english/australian/african wickets but never gave up - We salute you Dravid. You are a real hero. You taught us to hang in and fight..

Posted by risky on (March 9, 2012, 17:08 GMT)

Dravid you were the best of India. My most favourite batsman of Indian team alongside Ganguly. We will miss you. Best wishes for future. Love from Pakistan.

Posted by Anwaar-Sandhu on (March 9, 2012, 17:07 GMT)

A true gentleman and one of my favorite test players.... for me he was the most respectable batsman in indian team.... a fighter who made batting look easy even on difficult pitches... we'll miss you great man!!

Posted by davidatlas999 on (March 9, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

good bye my best player.a well wisher from pakistan.

Posted by Muradjasani on (March 9, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

At the fall of the first wicket, walks in india's mr cricket. no arrogance or complacency he ever shows, its a huge responsibility he knows. Over shadowed by his stroke playing team mate, he goes on at his merry rate. bowlers break their heads trying to break the wall, among the ruins Rahul Dravid stands tall. now hes gone, left the game for good, The walls done more than a mere mortal could. how much we miss you, we ll truly realise in the next test series, thanks for the memories and hard fought victories.

Posted by DamieninFrance on (March 9, 2012, 16:55 GMT)

Sautrik,you understate Dravid's affect on all of us. As a Masters student in Adelaide in 2001, I finished my analyses for the morning, and went to a hotel to sit and watch Australia bowl India out in their second innings, and take a two-nil lead in the best of three series. I sat transfixed, all day, watching two of the world's most pleasing-to-watch batsmen dismantle an attack consisting of McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Kasprowicz. There was little wrong with the bowling. But I have never seen such sublime skills from the batsmen! Although Laxman gets most of the plaudits for that innings of 281, I remember the faultless display from Dravid. From that day, I always looked forward to seeing him bat. I watched every delivery of his double century in Adelaide in 2003; one of my most treasured cricketing memories. The cricket world is a less beautiful place now that he's left it. Thank-you Dravid for all the memories!

Posted by mr.truth on (March 9, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

A new work does not get hit when it first starts. When consecutive fights again and again during or after a course in which, after its success.First, while others say it is futile to try. Will or despising. Then that same appreciation for the unremitting efforts will be successful.Following successful training when available. This is reality.That has done Dravid.

Posted by rama_krish on (March 9, 2012, 16:43 GMT)

Dravid is a wonderful cricketer. It is sad to see him go but what a thrill it is to wait for the next class batsman appear.

Posted by irishrover on (March 9, 2012, 16:39 GMT)

Quite simply a fantastic cricketer, and a thoroughly decent human being. The stats don't lie, a staggering average of over 50 in test matches, a real team player. And awesome powers of concentration. He simply loved to bat, and bat and bat.

I had the good fortune to meet him browsing the cricket books in Waterstones on what should have been day 5 of the Nottingham Test last summer. I was doing likewise, and we got chatting about cricket. I asked him if he enjoyed the game he had just played in, and with typical honesty and selflessness, he said no (even though he had scored a good century in the first innings).

We also spoke about cricket books. I reccommended Duncan Hamilton's ' A Last English Summer', and he suggested I read a collection of Michael Atherton's journalistic writings on cirkcet.

What struck me about him, was that he was an absolute gentleman. Friendly and open, interested and interesting. Plenty of tine time to read those books now. Happy retirement Rahul.

Posted by babubhaiyya on (March 9, 2012, 16:33 GMT)

I Am from PAKISTAN.... Dear DRAVID.... let me tell u a story.... i was 12 when u arrived on the international scene.... scored a 33 against australia and my heart at that age told me u were the one to copy.... Next thing i knew.... mates were laughing at me saying he is copying someone who z too slow and wount last longer... i stood for u..... and u never let me down....... I LOVE YOU>>>>> TAKE A BOW

Posted by Niranjan8 on (March 9, 2012, 16:30 GMT)

It is very sad day for not only Indian cricket but for world cricket. He definitely had few more years to play. He is the best bats man in terms of technique in era of test cricket. It is a surprised decision, probably he has taken the decision because there are very few test matches in the next calender year, and he does not want to wait for long time to play one test cricket. The ICC/BCCI should think about it and should schedule more test matches in abroad for India. To populate test cricket the ICC should think about 3 days test match and only one innings every team should play. Then the test match also will be interesting. The square cut, the pool shot the defensive shot of Dravid was just brilliant. Any longest partnership in both format of Game (more that 300 runs) came for India there is definitely Rahul Dravid's share in one side. It may be Sachin-Dravid, Ganguly - Dravid, Lakhman - Dravid or Other - Dravid but Dravid will be common for all partnership. We definitely miss you.

Posted by umm09 on (March 9, 2012, 16:30 GMT)

Rahul should have continued for one more year, one bad series at Australia pepole started talking negative about him. Nobody can replace Rahul in Indian team, see what had happened after Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble retired till now we have not found replacement in the team. We should have groomed players like C Pujara, Badrinath, Rahul Sharma. We are giving chances to players like Suresh Raina, Amit Mishra, Piyush Chawla etc etc...

Posted by sayedhasan on (March 9, 2012, 16:25 GMT)

Never really understood Tandulkar worship in India. For me, Dravid was the favorite Indian batsman, a class act, and a true gentleman. A complete package that India would not see for a long time.

Posted by babubhaiyya on (March 9, 2012, 16:24 GMT)

I am From Pakistan ..... LOVE YOU DRAVID.... Grew up watching u..... there may be greater batsmen than u BUT U R THE BEST SPORTSMAN ever....... U were the last of your kind.... Do us one more favor.... Be a broadcaster so that we still C YOU.... TAKE A BOW GREAT MAN

Posted by apurav_jain on (March 9, 2012, 16:18 GMT)

he should have retired after a test match not like this..its sad

Posted by Chncricfan_2k0 on (March 9, 2012, 16:18 GMT)

Today, world cricket missed one of the finest warriors of the game.amazing talent with incredible skills possessed with patience.I grow up watching him play.when the ball moves around or overcast condition, captain's primary choice is Dravid.the man played every deliveries throughout his career at its merit.Im proud that I have been in the same era of this incredible legend.A true team man, played countless match winning innings both in ODIs and tests.a great ambassador of the game.like while he was playing, he knew which ball to play shots and which to defense, the same he knew when to bid adieu to the game and he did with great honor.thanks for the entertainment U provided throughout this long 16-year career..I wish for your wonderful future life...

Posted by problem.installed on (March 9, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

I too stop watching TEST cricket..as i am not at all going to ENJOY test matches any more..i can understand his true feelings..it is just not an brave decision..actually it is a true decision..which can come through only a great soul. Hats of to u MR. WALL..i have only option for test matches now..Your Highlights ....TC....God Bless u...!!!!!!!!

Posted by s.hamid on (March 9, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

Great Player... Good decision to retire... Always remember the Wall

Posted by JBIndia on (March 9, 2012, 16:11 GMT)

Hey all Rahul Dravid fans don't you think we have seen a lot of him. Truly a classy batsman, there's no doubt about it. But it's time that youngsters enter and make a good team for the next decade. I wish Sachin and Laxman gets some inspiration from him and follow the right path. Nevertheless, we will be indebted to Dravid for all he did for Indian Cricket.

Posted by elimomin on (March 9, 2012, 16:11 GMT)

he is one of the most classical batsmen in the world. extraordinary patience level and strong nerves helped him to play high quality innings for india on several occasion. no replacement for dravid as he is a classy hero that would be remembered in the history of cricket.

Posted by jango_moh on (March 9, 2012, 16:02 GMT)

Great Legend for Indian and World cricket... wat a player!!!, RESPECT!!!!!

Posted by D.Sharma on (March 9, 2012, 15:45 GMT)

We go to the temple to worship "God". But what is surrounding "God"? The Wall.

Posted by Nish_US on (March 9, 2012, 15:44 GMT)

For someone who began with One-days.... It is Dravid who drew me towards watching TEST cricket.. ....understand the grit and dedication required.. and why it is called TEST cricket.... appreciate Class than just flamboyance... Very sad to see you go... Indian test cricket will not be the same without you... Hope you decide to be a coach and imbibe those great qualities in the future generations to come.... Rahul Dravid - I salute you...

Posted by ahmedabbasi69 on (March 9, 2012, 15:44 GMT)

SIR... You were the most accomplished batsman this game has seen. Very sad day for all of us. I think no one can ever match Dravid's technicalities with the bat. Dravid you'll be missed by this game and all of us.

Posted by Nish_US on (March 9, 2012, 15:40 GMT)

hardwork + Dedication = Dravid

Posted by loverfromafghanistan on (March 9, 2012, 15:39 GMT)

Rahul, go buddy this the right time to leave place for other youngsters, hope Sachin, Sehwag and Dhoni do the same

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 9, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

I'm proud I got to see him play. One of my favorite batsmen. He went underrated for too long. Hope he joins a commentary team.

Posted by Lankeshwara on (March 9, 2012, 15:36 GMT)

Hats off to you Sir! A true example of a solid, classical cricketer!

Posted by cric4zh on (March 9, 2012, 15:36 GMT)

pink floyd produced the great album another brick in the wall for music lovers and u created the wall of cricket for the cricket fans . god bless u and ur family!

Posted by gemini4321 on (March 9, 2012, 15:31 GMT)

True gentleman, sad to see him to go. LEGEND!!

Posted by inswing on (March 9, 2012, 15:30 GMT)

The most respectable player in my opinion. Even ahead of Tendulkar and Kumble, both of whom have been very dignified and scandal free in spite of achieving so much. Played with class throughout his career, and retires with class and dignity. No tantrums, no accusations, no hanging on (cf. Ganguly). His batting of course was up there with anybody to play the game. One of the all time greats for any country ever. On top of that, he was completely selfless. Shuffling himself up and down the order, keeping wickets, captaining, and sacrificing all for the team. If you could design a Test player from scratch, with anything you wanted, I would design someone exactly like Dravid. Amazing ability on top of dignity and selflessness. His ODI contributions are very underrated. Saved India innumerable times single handedly, but weak-minded fans did not consider him suitable for ODIs out of ignorance. Dravid is in my all time India ODI team, not just the Test team. Thank you, Rahul Dravid. Thank you

Posted by dadvoc on (March 9, 2012, 15:22 GMT)

He will always be remembered as a tough opponent, and always calm and composed character. His very demeanor gives an impression that he is a good human being in general. Would have been great to see him leaving the cricket in stadium with a standing ovation, but I think he deserves even more respect for his 'well-timed-retirement' Respect and good wishes from Pakistan.

Posted by dimni on (March 9, 2012, 15:19 GMT)

players who should go are there in team and the highest rungetter of year 2011 is retiring,hats off to this man for this decision.the article on jan28 was about not thinking of retirement and suddenly he is saying that he was thinking for a long time,if this decision was made by others i mean they cant drop anyone else then am saying it will be the biggest mistake of them,i must say sachin will be retiring after that 100 (thats the reason i think selectors cannot ask sachin to retire and this man is the bait everytime,IF THATS THE REAL REASON THEN I PRAY THAT HE DONT GET THAT 100 MARK MY WORDS)for me cricket means dravid "THE WALL"

Posted by hnlns on (March 9, 2012, 15:17 GMT)

I think he did the best possible thing by retiring. Hope Tendulkar and Laxman follow his path and call it quits sooner than later. They are as eligible for retirement as Dravid was. Their time is up and should not wait until pressure builds up on them.

Posted by vbkrish on (March 9, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

So, now we can stop watching Test matches also. It is very sad. Just a few months ago he was the Man of the series and highest run getter in 2011, when all others faied including Ponting and Kallis.But, now they are scoring centuries, Dravid has call it a day, and those who had failed still playing. What an irony? The media demanding for his retirement, now they are praising him. Double standards! Greg Chappel had said that Indian captains lack guts. But, Dravid had the courage to declare the innings in Pakistan, when Sachin was nearing 200 just for the team's cause.He was the real utility player, opening the innings, kept wickets in ODIs, whenever the team needed. As Shastri said recently, Dravid was most succesful Captain in respect to winning the series abroad, inspite of cntoversies surrounded due o Ganguly-Chappel fighting. DRAVID, Indian cricket will not be same again. End of an GOLDEN ERA.

Posted by Sautrik on (March 9, 2012, 15:13 GMT)

Dravid, you truly are irreplaceable.... all of us and team india will miss the comfort you have been giving us for years....

Posted by moBlue on (March 9, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

dang! i knew this day would come but it still blows! i remember the days in the decades before dravid started batting at #3 for IND in tests... vengsarkar, manjrekar and mohinder amarnath. except for when jimmy came in - and thanks to our lousy selectors, jimmy never played as many tests as he should have! - there was no respite for an IND fan when gavaskar went early! but after dravid? man, i don't remember sweating it in a test match in over a decade at the beginning of an inning, not even once, thanks to the wall!!! all the haters on this board who were/are bashing the trinity over 2011 - mark my words! now you'll see what it is like to miss someone of a dravid's caliber! irreplaceable, indeed! just as much as tendulkar from my perspective... and easily the *only* man i would have wanted to bat for my life (when they were all at their peaks) if i had just one shot left at life and a 50 - or 4 hours of batting under grueling conditions - was needed to save it! also, what a gentleman!

Posted by Siva-The-Human on (March 9, 2012, 14:59 GMT)

The one of the true Legender I have ever seen. It is hard to replace anyone in his place. Thanks legend! You gave us great joy of cricket. I wish u get joy of future with ur family.

Posted by Luminda on (March 9, 2012, 14:55 GMT)

A real Gentleman.... A real class of a test player... Sad to see classic players walk away from the game.. May you enjoy and do a lot to world cricket in your post-retirement.. Hats Off to you SIR !!!! A fan from Sri Lanka

Posted by aditya_369 on (March 9, 2012, 14:53 GMT)

a true gentle man..a class act..a man who has contributed immensely to the Indian and world cricket.....his place cannot b filled by any cricketer...hope he has a gr8 time at whatever he does after the retirement...salute to u "THE WALL"...hope to see him continue doing service to the Indian cricket in some or the other role through out his life.....salute to u "THE WALL"........

Posted by cricketcrazy555 on (March 9, 2012, 14:51 GMT)

U'll be remain as one of the true gentleman of the Game !

Posted by jayaboy on (March 9, 2012, 14:47 GMT)

It's a sad day for the whole cricket fans of Dravid. We have not seen such a very polite and straight personality among these gentlemen. The retirement of this great player marked a huge loss for the world cricket. Anyway he has taken the right decision at the correct time with giving an example to the other colleagues. Good Luck Rahul, we'll miss u, but your memories will always be with us forever and ever..... From Sri Lankan Fans

Posted by CricketFirstLove on (March 9, 2012, 14:43 GMT)

He came he saw he conquered. The hero departs as a hero and at his peak. He piled up runs and runs in 2011. He could have hung on as others do. But he didn't. Lets all wish this Wall all the happiness that life can give him. Above all thank you Rahul for the entertainment you have given us with your strokes. You were a delight to watch. We are going to miss you buddy.

Posted by itsTIME4ELImination on (March 9, 2012, 14:39 GMT)

Respect. Great Indian player.

Posted by Erebus26 on (March 9, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

One of the all-time greats. Intelligent, articulate and an all-round classy guy. Will be missed by many all around the world. Sad to see him lose form in Australia like he did, but I will remember the player that stood up successfully to the world's best bowling attacks over the last decade and a half. Good luck in the future Rahul.

Posted by soumyas on (March 9, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

legendary cricketer, role model for youngsters... most of the times played in difficult situations...a gr8 human being.

Posted by Sumanth.G on (March 9, 2012, 14:33 GMT)

Sad to c this legend retire.... but it is a good decision... hope promising youngsters like chetheswar pujara and kohli step into his boots.... all th best Dravid for your post cricket life...

Posted by anonymous90 on (March 9, 2012, 14:23 GMT)

In most matches, Indian Batsmen scored well and with the help of exceptional batting and good bowling, they win matches. In those wins, Rahul Dravid was among those legends who contributed by fixing himself at No. 3, but What Now?

There's no Dravid and of course there are v.good young players who would perform well but won't be able to produce the class, consistency & assurance which Dravid used to produce. When these players doesn't perform well then it hurts but when they quit then it hurts more because, we've faith that they'd surely perform well next time but now there's no next time.

It's really sad to see Legend Walks Off ... very sad moment. You were really playing well. One bad series doesn't mean any player's gone. But, whatever it is, we are always here to support / cheer you, "The Wall - Legend Rahul Dravid".

Thanks a lot for all the moments you gave us. Now, Test matches won't be same as it was. :-(

Posted by cosmos_kapil on (March 9, 2012, 14:20 GMT)

Rahul Sharad Dravid was unmatched in world cricket. He will be remembered by his fans, team mates, cricket administrators and former players with due respect not only because of his classical cricket, but also because so much dedication towards his team and game that he perform almost all the roles a player could have in the field. Though his position is generally fixed as it is there with most of the seniors, but often we saw his position being rotated according to the demand and on many occasions he did it successfully. He had also showed his capability with gloves and tried his hands on bowling too. However after the below par performance by most of the seniors in recent tour the "Good-Bye" from one or two was looming, and though the call is not at the peak but I think it's the right call. Hope he will serve the Indian cricket by distributing his experience to the so called "future" and nourish the young talent by the means of Academy or so. Will others failure follow him?

Posted by yorkslanka on (March 9, 2012, 14:17 GMT)

sorry to see you go Rahul,you have been a fantastic player to watch and have rescued your team many a time..you will be missed..a sri lankan fan...

Posted by dimni on (March 9, 2012, 14:17 GMT)

just read article on jan 28 of dravid about not retiring and then here it is announcement of his retirement,first time i cried for a sportsperson and last time also,cannot watch test and odi's from now on,will be watching only ipl from now on only for 'THE WALL'.

Posted by Ribs on (March 9, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

It is one of the saddest moment in the Indian cricket and we lost the true soldier who gave his 100 percent always in the field. It is all one of the toughest any internation cricketer has to pass. Lot of happy moments and cheers you gave it to us. There are some fruitful moments like your unbeater 150 against might Donald & co, couple of match winning knocks @sabina park, Adelide match winning 315 runs in both the innings, the comeback innings @kolkatta with VVS, series win knock against pak, successful world cup compaigns etc., I am feeling that you didn't get the position you deserved. In India most of the people doesn't know much about crickting skill you have. What all they know is power hitters. Saving wkt againts one good delivery is not less than Hitting one good ball to the boundary. We always tell our young kids to wactch Dravid closely if you want to become a good cricketer at least they will watch the vedios here after. Finally good bye to the true gentleman we had.

Posted by pitch_it_up on (March 9, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

Oh! The dreaded day has finally arrived!! It feels so painful to think that I'll never watch my hero, to whom a common man can relate to and draw inspiration from, play anymore. He is an embodiment of a true and genuine Cricketer, sportsman and above all a great human being. He is the last of the old world cricket which believes in playing the sport in the right Spirit, Technique, Purity and Classism. I belong to his generation and followed Cricket so intensly. I have to sadly admit that, with him retiring, a major part of my interest in Cricket will die and I'll also focus on my personal life (talk about mid-life crisis). Truly, an end of an era. Cricket has been poorer today.

Posted by pankaj1956 on (March 9, 2012, 14:08 GMT)

Great Son of the Soil. We are proud of you and salute you. Good Luck

Posted by akasavani on (March 9, 2012, 13:58 GMT)

How classy of Dravid to walk away with dignity. I hope recent failures do not take anything away from a man who epitomized what being a sportsman really should be.

All I hope for is that he plays an active role in the administration of Indian Cricket for decades to come. We sorely need someone with his credibility and character at the helm.

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (March 9, 2012, 13:56 GMT)

He is a true gentleman, always willing to play according to team's requirements. 10dulkar should learn from Dravid.

Posted by RK.Chandru on (March 9, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

"at the end of the day when a player has to go, he knows he has to go and I didn't feel the need to drag it on longer [in order to have a farewell Test]" Do you get Mr. Tendulkar? It's ok even if India loses a few test matches, few series, even the test rankings... But, seniors' retirement will sure help Team India in the longer run and would separate men from boys. It's time they take over the mantle.

Posted by bharat_ke_veero on (March 9, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

After KAPILDEV our country never have great all rounder of his class, I think same thing will happened with "THE WALL"

Posted by adisiva on (March 9, 2012, 13:49 GMT)

Class act all the way!!! Rahul Dravid, we are proud of you as a person and as a cricketer. You have given us the pleasure of feeling secure knowing that you are on the field so far and we are sure you would do the same pleasure no matter what you take up next. Best of luck to you and your family in all the years to come!

Posted by unpredictable-boy on (March 9, 2012, 13:48 GMT)

Respect for the Great Cricketer :)

Posted by ravi_hari on (March 9, 2012, 13:48 GMT)

One cant stop writing on The Wall! He is one great sportsperson everyone dreams to become. Technically sound as a batsman, perfect as a genteman on the field, always a trier, never played for self, etc. One can only evny Dravid for having so many traits in him. Yet he did face with rough weather during his career. Like every human being he too had his highs and lows. All through the one thing which did not change was his commitment towards the team. I think every parent would ask their child to become a Dravid. He should have started with a ton and ended on a high. He missed the debut ton by 4 runs and could not score a hundred in his last series, both overseas. Dravid will be remembered as the best overseas batsman, the most accomplished batsman of his era. His defence is solid and strokes as perfect as an engineer's lines. He had the safest hands with or without the gloves. He played both pace and spin with the same elan and was part of the best ODI and test partnerships. Great man.

Posted by Bantooobutt on (March 9, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

Gr8 Player Gr8 Ambassador.......... i always rate him ahead of Sachin Tendulkar but Dravid is never regarded ahead of Sachin........... he is true fighter and teperamentally Strongest..wish him gud luck.......

Posted by shankyforu on (March 9, 2012, 13:45 GMT)

Aah, sigh of relief for Indian cricket, despite of all that he has given in few test matches to Indian Cricket, he will always be remembered as an overly underhyped batsman... !!

Posted by redbow2012 on (March 9, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

Rahul Dravid is one of the most prolific cricketers that the world has ever seen. It is a sad moment for all of us now that he has left his beloved game. As a Rajasthan Royals fan, I'm happy that he'll be playing this year's IPL, which will probably be the last time we'll get to see The Wall at his best.

I can relate to Dravid quite personally in the sense that he started playing international cricket in 1996. That was also the first year when I learned about this beautiful game and it's heroes during the 1996 World Cup. Also, the first time I celebrated when India defeated Pakistan in the quarter-finals and the first time I cried when we lost to Sri Lanka at the great Eden Garden.

In a way my journey began with Dravid. It's been 16 years of watching cricket and supporting India for me and it's been the same time for Dravid to achieve a legendary status in international cricket...

A position earned with respect and excellence.

Thank you sir, it's been an honor watching you play!

Posted by MOHDsarfaraz on (March 9, 2012, 13:24 GMT)

great cricketer has done his great job for our nation,,he set an example for all cricket world,he has been awesome during his cricket carrier, he took a right decision at right time,he leave his place for youngsters,,i realy proud to have such a great player for our nation,,,this WALL never can be break,,i,proud bcoz i am a Indian to say Dravid is Indian cricketer,,,,,,,

Posted by common_cricket_fan on (March 9, 2012, 13:20 GMT)

Thanks for the memories Rahul :)

Posted by dannysunny on (March 9, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

He is the man I always admired in my life as a cricket fan.I've been watching his game of cricket since he started and I am lucky to be part of his generation. He is Mr.Perfect to the Indian Cricket and It's very hard to see Indian Cricket team without Rahul but it's truth. He is a great cricketer but also an ambassador of the game, a role model and a gentleman.He is a good human being and He is a "TRUE FRIEND" to many because "A true friend loves at all the times".

HE IS GREAT AMBASSADOR for INDIA and He is a great inspiration for future generation. He is the man to recieve "Bharatharatna" from Indian Govt. Rahul, God bless you & your family much more than us at all the times.

Posted by rohittttt on (March 9, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

India will miss mr reliable always in test, no other player can take their place ever. Gud bye dravid and wish u saw batting more in IPL.

Posted by seenurag on (March 9, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

It is realy hard to think about a test match without Dravid.

Posted by faisal_here on (March 9, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

From hard core Pakistani team fan: All i can say Mr. Dravid; you were one of those players who attracted "respect" and "praise", even though you belonged to our arch rivals, but I should must say as a cricketers you demonstrated a very graceful and professional behavior which can be something to be noted and followed even by pakistani youth.....I have seen you come and go....what a modern day cricketer...a blend of mental strength, being in-limits and above all humble....thanks for your time in cricket sir.

Posted by MalingaTheToeCrusher on (March 9, 2012, 13:00 GMT)

One my favourite players, everyone forgot about him when they talk about legends. I rate him higher than Sachin cos he performs when the chips are down. Just like Laxman, but more consistent. Hope you have a great Life after cricket. Would love to see you in the commentary box. From a Sri Lankan

Posted by veerang on (March 9, 2012, 12:59 GMT)

We love you rahul.You were the best when it was the real test.

Posted by vcvidath34 on (March 9, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

Great Cricketer... Hats off for him.... from SL Fans...

Posted by vcvidath34 on (March 9, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

Great Cricketer... Hats off for him.... from SL Fans...

Posted by CricfanAustralia on (March 9, 2012, 12:48 GMT)

We will miss you Dravid. you have been the wall forever. Salute to you.

Posted by Ajit87 on (March 9, 2012, 12:45 GMT)

Eyes will search for Dravids name in next Indian test Matches. ""Love the Wall,Love his Cricket,Love his Style""

Posted by voyager on (March 9, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

Well Played Dravid, and thanks for your services. From a Pakistani Fan

Posted by Die_Hard_Indian on (March 9, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

Indian cricket without "THE WALL" is susceptible..u r the best test batsman ever..u did it for us time and again..we r proud to have a cricketer like u...a true gentleman of gentleman's game..a perfect ambassador of cricket..a true hero..I'll miss u whenever an Indian opener will get out..U hv given us a lot of moments to smile and cherish..Thanx for everything u gave us..Best of luck for future...have a happy life..thanx..

Posted by MSU_BULLDOG on (March 9, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

Mr. Dravid - Thanks for the memories - we enjoyed watching you as much as you enjoyed playing. You were a complete professional on and off the field. India will miss you at the 1 down position - but as you said it is time for the next generation to step up and take the lead. Good Luck in whatever you are planning to do next.

Posted by anupkmr on (March 9, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

THALA RETIRES ''THE WALL STRONGER THAN CHINA HAVE''

Posted by dinuhebbar on (March 9, 2012, 12:36 GMT)

Words have got drained in the emotion i am going through. I do not say 'Good bye, Rahul' because i am sure he will live upto his words and come back to cricket, in any form he wants to, by June 2012 as he promised. I will look forward to that day and believe 'Karnataka cricket, with that Indian cricket n world cricket, will be in good hands'.

Posted by CivilGaurav on (March 9, 2012, 12:34 GMT)

Rahul, you have always been my favorite cricket. You are the most unselfish and humble cricketer and clearly the best test batsman ever for India. Like the little kid in the movie Fanaa, I too think you are Mr Dependable. I would have liked to see you play many more innings, but I think your timing of retirement is correct for the sole reason that India has no overseas tours for the next two year. Overseas you are indispensable! Salute to the greatest ever test batsman of India from an Indian!

Posted by T20LIONS on (March 9, 2012, 12:33 GMT)

Well Truely a legend on the earth to have played for india. A nice calm and peaceful personality.

Have great days ahead as a humble person and world will be honoured if he still make contribution to the cricket in one way or the other..

Its a sad day. I am not sure what will happend great Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar hangs his boots.

Posted by JimmyDee on (March 9, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

One of the greatest Ambassadors to represent this great game, on and off the field. As an Aussie, but more importantly a supporter of cricket, there was no overseas player we held in higher regard than this man. His honesty, fight, determination, integrity, and above all, class and humility was always evident in any and all situations. A true role model for up and coming, and indeed, current players home and abroad. The on-field game is poorer without his presence, but i can see no better person than him, to perhaps take on an admin role and take Indian cricket into a new era. Personally one of my favorite players. Good luck Rahul.

Posted by Punkamania on (March 9, 2012, 12:26 GMT)

An emotional moment for me and dad..Had tears in my eyes.. When dravid said.." It is 16 years since I played my first Test match for India and today I feel it is time to move on"...memories.. strucked..bloomin in 1999 vs new zealand..originated as "Mr. dependable' in 2003 adelaide...scorin atlst a 50 in evry secnd match..keepin wickets far better than dhoni :P.. tribute to those cents of scorecards that read..b. Kumble c. Dravid...b. Harbhajan c. Dravid.. and for those critics..i quote.."jab tak ye tuk tuk ki deewar tiki rahi.. India ki laaj bi tiki rahi.." !! :(

Posted by NikhilNair on (March 9, 2012, 12:21 GMT)

One of the saddest day for me concerning Indian cricket after Dada and Jumbo's retirement... Dravid is a gem... sad to see him go. But don't worry... the team will learn his value soon... it wasn't Dravid who should have gone from Tests. But he had the courage to be the leader... I SALUTE YOU!

Posted by r_raja23 on (March 9, 2012, 12:11 GMT)

No words to express your achievements... you are one of the best to have played cricket... the great wall of Indian Cricket....

Posted by Paracha420 on (March 9, 2012, 12:08 GMT)

One of the most stylish batsmen of this era says good bye to international cricket and we also say good bye to u sir it was a pleasure to watch u playing....from Pakistan....

Posted by rdharani on (March 9, 2012, 12:04 GMT)

End of an era..! First time ever in my life, feeling a void in my heart..! Thanks a lot MY HERO for all these memories and victories..! Will miss you sorely..!

Sharda UgraClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd unofficial Test: Australia A v India A at Brisbane - Jul 13-16
Australia A 423 India A 165/3
2nd Investec Test: England v India at Lord's
Jul 17-21, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
Australia A v India A at Darwin
Jul 20, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
India A v Sth Africa A at Darwin
Jul 22, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
NPS v India A at Darwin
Jul 24, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »