Indian Premier League

No IPL matches at Brabourne Stadium

Cricinfo staff

March 14, 2008

Text size: A | A


The Brabourne Stadium hosted the Twenty20 international between India and Australia in 2007, the only Twenty20 international to have been played so far in the country © Getty Images
Enlarge
 

Mumbai's Brabourne Stadium will not be hosting any of the matches of the Indian Premier League after the league and Reliance Industries, owners of the city franchise, found unacceptable the conditions imposed by the Cricket Club of India (CCI), to whom the stadium belongs.

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) had enquired whether the CCI could stage matches at the Brabourne; the CCI's executive committee decided to offer the ground but not the clubhouse and the club members' children's enclosure.

These conditions were unacceptable to both the IPL and Reliance Industries Limited, the owners of the Mumbai franchise, since the agreement between the franchise and the IPL states that 80% of all categories of seating must be available to the franchise, and the remaining 20% to the concerned local association, in this case MCA, the BCCI, and the IPL.

"If the [club] members are not able to watch the match, we won't have it. It's an inherent right of the CCI member to watch the match and not pay for it and this is mentioned in the by-laws of the club," Raj Singh Dungarpur, the CCI president and former BCCI president, said. Hosting future international matches, he said, would not, however, be an issue.

"There is no confrontation between us, our issue is that just the staging authority wouldn't be able to watch the match and that's not right. There is no misunderstanding and we will continue to host matches for the board [BCCI]."

The move puts the MCA in a quandary, since the local associations are responsible for finalising the stadiums for the eight city-based franchises of the IPL. Mumbai is slated to host a total of ten matches, including the seven home games of the Mumbai Indians, and more importantly the semi-finals and final of the inaugural edition. The Brabourne Stadium had been tipped to host the semi-finals and final.

However, with it being ruled out, the options left are the DY Patil Stadium and the Wankhede Stadium; renovation work scheduled for the latter may now have to be postponed till the end of the IPL.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Related Links
Tournament Results
Super Kings v Royals at Mumbai - Jun 1, 2008
Royals won by 3 wickets (with 0 balls remaining)
Super Kings v Kings XI at Mumbai - May 31, 2008
Super Kings won by 9 wickets (with 31 balls remaining)
Daredevils v Royals at Mumbai - May 30, 2008
Royals won by 105 runs
Kings XI v Royals at Mohali - May 28, 2008
Kings XI won by 41 runs
RCB v Mum Indians at Bangalore - May 28, 2008
Mum Indians won by 9 wickets (with 12 balls remaining)
More results »
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days