Features FeaturesRSS FeedFeeds

The refugee who became a star

Mohammad Shahzad was born in a refugee camp in Peshawar; now he's Afghanistan's leading batsman

Umar Farooq

February 19, 2013

Mohammad Shahzad celebrates his half-century, Afghanistan v Ireland, World Twenty20 Qualifier final, Dubai, March 24, 2012
Shahzad: bounce him at your peril © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Mohammad Shahzad | MS Dhoni | Shahid Afridi
Teams: Afghanistan

Displaced from war-torn Afghanistan at an early age, Mohammad Shahzad's life started in a refugee camp in Peshawar. An Afghan Pathan by ethnicity, he grew up watching Pakistan's national cricketers in the early '90s and playing tape-ball cricket on grubby streets near the Afghan-Pakistan border. Shahzad is a flamboyant opening batsman who loves to play his shots. He swatted back-to-back hundreds in his second and third ODIs. He also made an unbeaten double-hundred as Afghanistan chased down an improbable 494 against Canada in the 2009-10 ICC Intercontinental Cup. His philosophy of batting is an elementary and often-repeated one: "Hit the loose ball and respect the good ball." Shahzad is 25. His family are from Nangrahar, a fertile valley around Jalalabad, and were dislocated in the wake of the Soviet war and forced into a refugee camp near the eastern end of the Khyber Pass, close to the Pakistan-Afghan border in Peshawar. Shahzad was born in the camp, adjusted to life in Pakistan, and took up Pakistani pursuits like playing cricket.

"I had a keen interest in cricket since the age of six or seven," he told ESPNcricinfo. "In fact, it was the only thing for the youth in those days to do - either we sleep or play cricket.

"It was everything. I slept with thoughts of cricket." So passionate was he about the game that he used to wear his keeping gloves all the time, even when he was not playing.

"I remember, I used to go with my captain in the evening every day to set up a match with random teams next to our street, and it was the most exciting moment of the day," he said. "We bet on a plastic trophy bought with the money collected from the two sides, and winning it was a great motivation at that time. After we won the trophy, we use to go street by street in a group to show people that we had won it.

Life in a refugee camp was hardly pleasant for Shahzad. "Cricket was the only thing I used to enjoy and I was terribly in love with it," he said. "I grew up watching the likes of Imran Khan and Javed Miandad on land that wasn't mine. I wished I could be a star for my country, but how could I - that was a million-dollar question for me. The scope of my life was limited, and the journey of my life with cricket was in an unknown direction."

Shahzad's parents thought he could do well outside of cricket. Not that he agreed, caught up as he was in the belief that he was the next Rashid Latif or Moin Khan, and that cricket was the centre of his existence. "I wrote 'Moin' and 'Latif' on the back of my two shirts and used to play cricket pretending I am a superstar. But my parents wanted me to study.

"I had no example of what I would be doing after studies, but in cricket I was following various Pakistani cricketers who are successful, like Imran Khan - he was famous and people talked about him.

"With my persistence, my parents let me go free, to do whatever I was doing. Now after ten years I am representing my own country. I didn't let them down. They are happy and are supporting me in every part of my life."

Shahzad started playing for Afghanistan in 2009 and hit the top level quickly, becoming an integral part of the rising team. He is currently Afghanistan's leading scorer in ODIs (743 runs from 21 matches), has the highest batting average, 37.15; the best strike rate among their frontline batsmen, 90.06; and the most hundreds (three). He has played 12 first-class matches against various Associate teams, in which he has compiled 1059 runs at 55.73, with eight half-centuries and two hundreds (including a double). Shahzad was shortlisted for the 2010 ICC Associate Player of the Year award, but lost out to Ryan ten Doeschate of Netherland.

Latif and Moin may be his childhood heroes but now his inspiration comes from the other side of the Pakistan border. He is friends with India captain MS Dhoni, and is even called MS by his team-mates, thanks partly to his initials.

"I have been following Dhoni since 2007. I met him for the first time in West Indies in 2010. He was staying on the fourth floor of the hotel and invited me to have tea in his room. It was actually an awkward moment for me - a big superstar serving me tea. I said I would help myself but he insisted and poured the tea for me, saying that he is the host and I am the guest.

"He is a great cricketer, a cool captain and a wonderful person. I always wanted to sit with him, talk to him, discuss cricket. He has talked to me about how to maintain yourself as a cricketer, how to handle the pressure. My helicopter shot is for Dhoni - to acknowledge that I am his big fan.

"I felt so good when he once introduced me to someone as a friend of his. I was flattered. His behaviour and attitude have increased my respect for him."

One of Shahzad's defining features is that he is a resolute, self-made man who has built a reputation of his own. "A lot of work has been done and work is still in progress," he said. "As far as I am concerned, I think I have developed myself into a cricketer who can play any form of cricket. I have scored ample runs in every form so far, and I'm desperate to climb up to play Test cricket."

"It was actually an awkward moment for me - Dhoni serving me tea. I said I would help myself but he insisted and poured the tea for me, saying that he is the host and I am the guest"

He thinks his team is closing the gap between themselves and the Full Member teams. "We guys all have the ability to play at bigger stage. We can bowl fast, we can spin, we can bat, and the fitness level of our players is high, thanks to the rough life we spent in the refugee camps.

"But there are some limitations, as we back home are deprived of cricket facilities and are dependent on the other countries at the moment. We have made a perfect unit and we are heading in the right direction. The people of Afghanistan have accepted us; they are supporting us and want us to win, so that the world reads something good about Afghanistan. The time isn't too far from here in our journey to become the best full cricketing nation."

Shahzad is a colorful character, with an aggressive mindset. "I am an emotional guy. I can easily be provoked. It's natural, as Pathans usually listen to their heart," he said. "My coaches talk about my aggression and how to control it. They have pointed out that I should try to learn how to keep my cool. I feel offended if any bowler bowls me a bouncer. I feel like hitting him out of the park."

He recently defied Pakistan's allrounder Shahid Afridi on Afghanistan's recent Pakistan tour. In the game against a Hyderabad-Karachi team, he smacked a six off Shahid Afridi that prompted a heated exchange of words between the two. Afridi conceded 29 runs in two overs, thanks largely to Shahzad, who smacked 58 off 35 balls.

There is an impish swagger to his tone as he narrates the incident. "He said something after the six, which didn't sound good, and I asked him to repeat it. He didn't, and I hit him for a few more boundaries, and he didn't return to bowl after his two overs.

"He may be a Pakistani star but I am also a professional cricketer. If he is good with the ball, I am good with the bat. I square off everything right there in the middle."

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent

RSS Feeds: Umar Farooq

Posted by   on (February 21, 2013, 3:34 GMT)

Well Mr.Ms Dohne, there is a saying in Pathan's World. If U ask a Pathan in a harsh way to go with U to Heaven he will not accept that offer, but if U ask him in a friendly way to accompany U to Hell, he will gladly do it. This of Cup tea may not mean nothing to U or others, but let me tell U, U did win,respect,and honor not only Mr. Shehzad but the whole Afghan Nation. May Allah bless U with more success and acomplishments in your up coming life. Mr. Shehzad, we are proud of U with the great services and name U gained for our War-Ravaged Nation Afghanistan. So up with your friendship with Mr Dohne and my you return that cup of friendship tea with your good deeds in the futures.

Posted by bluefunk on (February 21, 2013, 1:02 GMT)

Inspirational article, Shahzad sounds like a very grounded cricketer, rare in this day and age. Is he the batsman who hit Ajmal for two sixes in an ODI last year? Wish him and Afghanistan all the best. (On a side note, Afghanistan chased down 494? Wow. That must've been some match.)

Posted by   on (February 20, 2013, 10:03 GMT)

Afghanistan can either go to the next level or stagnate like Ireland or Kenya. It depends on the type of support they not only receive from ICC but also their neighboring countries. The players should be given chances to take part in domestic league in England, Australia etc and also convince the ICC to set up more games against test playing nations. Hope, in the next decade, Afghan's can be a team, which is able to take part and beat top sides in tournaments.

Posted by Biggus on (February 20, 2013, 4:06 GMT)

I don't think there's a genuine cricket fan around who doesn't wish Afghanistan well and support their continued development and exposure to bigger games. They're a lot of fun to watch and they love the game, it's a win-win situation.

Posted by Rasheed111 on (February 20, 2013, 4:00 GMT)

Asian contries should help Afghan cricket, let them play in their domestic format

Posted by   on (February 20, 2013, 2:55 GMT)

Shazad is a good player. And MSD is a real gentleman. I loved the way he treated a new comer like Shahzad. Dhoni is really great with a lot of humility.

Posted by   on (February 20, 2013, 1:51 GMT)

Mohammad Shahzad (MS) is an exciting player. He is fun and entertaining to watch. MS, if you are reading the posts, I hope you would take it easy with batting sometimes. Sometimes, you give the feeling to the fans that you want to hit every ball out of the park. It is a great strategy to hit a loose ball. I think you have the potential to become a great batsman one day inshallah. What I would request you to do would be to stay in the crease for at least 10-20 overs in ODI and 8-12 overs in T20. If you have done that, you know the result has been good. If you have started doing this, please keep on doing it. Consistency will make you a great player one day inshallah. Congratulations to you and your family for having the chance to represent Afghanistan.

Posted by   on (February 20, 2013, 0:41 GMT)

iam soo proud of Afghanistan seen how they have put Afghanistan on the map ... we Afghans can be professionals and we can compete in every sports,its just a matter of others giving us a chance ....

Posted by SyedAreYouDumb on (February 19, 2013, 23:22 GMT)

In a few years Afghanistan will get test status, they should play each teams' A teams like they are doing against Pakistan A.

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 22:19 GMT)

best of luck ..keep performing hope u will do well against Scotland in next matches

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 20:14 GMT)

Would love to see an international tournment with Afghanistan, Ireland and Scotland playing England perhaps as a build up tournment for the Ashes or even better include the Dutch and the Aussies into a 6 nations tournment. It would be great for the 4 other nations as they gain REAL cricket experience rather then stalling their development playing themselves over and over again.

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 16:50 GMT)

As a keen Cricket follower, I have seen Afghanistan rise rapidly in recent years. They have been consistently outperforming other countries, which have better cricketing facilities and more available funds compared to them. They have some good bowlers and few decent batsman's but they need to improve on batting, fielding also fitness if they wish to compete with the big boys. They can easily do it if the ICC gets more involved and helps them; assigning proper coaches, domestic tournament etc. I wish the team all the best. Good luck.

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 16:30 GMT)

Huh, really enjoyed reading this article. I have seen the Afghan side play few games and they seem like an exciting and colorful individuals. They have a lot of talent but needs to consistently play regular games against full members to keep growing. ICC should also allocate more financial help, which can help set-up domestic league in Afghanistan. Lastly, Cricket is a wonderful sport and it should be promoted and helped to grow in different nations. It will bring diversity and a different approach to how the game is played.

Posted by pitch_it_up on (February 19, 2013, 16:13 GMT)

Nice article!! Good luck MS!! ;)

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 15:42 GMT)

play hard and yet be humble way to go boy. msd stock just went up in my book.

Posted by Jaissy on (February 19, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

Great feeling on reading this article. why not play him in ipl..he is a healty striker of ball, he will gain experience too.

Posted by torsha on (February 19, 2013, 13:46 GMT)

Wow! What a lovely courtesy by MSD! Great stuff.

Posted by Azooz-Afgfan on (February 19, 2013, 13:31 GMT)

MS is the one who swept Ajmal world's best spinner for a SIX & MS is the one who played Helicopter shot after Indian MS invented it. It's Mohammad Shehzad.. Bright future Shazzy.

Posted by obaidulah on (February 19, 2013, 12:09 GMT)

he is very talented player i like him

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 8:40 GMT)

Actually M.Shahzad is a good talent and I like it , if he focus his own way he well be a big player but one thing that I disagree with him he always want to show that he is DHONI's big fan by playing Dhoni's helicopter shot against india,I suggest that shahzd should focus on his natural game and leave thinking about playing other players shots he will be our Dhoni.

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 8:34 GMT)

Really good read, a different side, a different struggle nonetheless true survivors ..... On a different note, great to see, an acknowledgement of Dhoni, seems like his talent and abilities is known to everyone beyond Indians ...

Posted by Un_Citoyen_Indien on (February 19, 2013, 7:12 GMT)

I first saw a glimpse of Mohd. Shehzad during the World T20 in Sri Lanka last year. I read about how much of a Dhoni fan he was, the day before the India - Afghan match. When I saw Shehzad in action, it didn't seem to me as if there was anything more to link him with Dhoni than his first two initials.

And then out of nowhere, Shehzad unleashed this ferocious helicopter shot. A bemused Dhoni whispered something to Sehwag at slip as I realised that I too had become a fan of Shehzad :)

Nice article, there's something touching about the way Shehzad describes himself as being emotional and easily provoked (typical Pathan traits) and also when he talks about his life in the refugee camp in Peshawar. His duel with Afridi felt humourous and also tells us a lot about him.

Here's wishing Mohd. Shehzad and the rest of the Afghan team the very best for the future. Hope to see many more India - Afghan contests (and not just in T20s either) going forward.

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 5:50 GMT)

Shahzad bro, you're a really great talented cricketer. I like your aggression on the field. All this article was very beautiful to be honest!!! Afridi has been my star as well and I want him to show respect to my Afghan heroes even though if he is a way bigger star in the world than Afghan players. Still, Afridi can get hit for a six by a tailender but it doesn't mean he should offend the opposition player whether a top order or a tailender batsman!!! A bad mouthing from my childhood star towards my nation pride, I'm not going to take it Afridi!!! If you're reading it then BEHAVE accordingly, with respect. Tnx and good luck AFRIDI AND SHAHZAD!!!

Posted by   on (February 19, 2013, 4:47 GMT)

Brighter future ahead for Afghanistan....

FeedbackTop
Umar FarooqClose

'Pietersen plays the innings that matter'

Modern Masters: Many of his tons have been match-defining and his ability to score them quickly has boosted England's chances

When Bedser bowled the Don for a duck

Ashley Mallett: After receiving a pasting in the first post-war Ashes tour, the England seamer decided he had to think up a new delivery: the legcutter

Question marks over West Indies' ODI batting

Tony Cozier: The sequence of stuttering starts, with the middle and lower orders picking up the pieces, does not bode well

Think you're better than the captain?

Cricket Captain 2014 is suited to the hardcore strategist, but its complexities and poor graphics may turn off the casual player

The power of booing

Jonathan Wilson: It has value when used against players who have transgressed - particularly if they have somehow offended the spirit of the game

Test cricket's young Fab Four

Kohli, Root, Smith and Williamson will take turns as the No. 1 Test batsman. So far each has shown only one technical weakness

'I couldn't bring myself to set a batsman up by giving him runs'

Glenn McGrath talks about the method behind his metronomic consistency, visualisation, and why aggression isn't about sledging

Dhoni doesn't heed his own warning

Plays of the Day from the second ODI between England and India, in Cardiff