Ed Smith
Ed Smith Ed SmithRSS FeedFeeds  | Archives
Former England, Kent and Middlesex batsman; writer for the New Statesman

How scarcity affects sportsmen

Like elsewhere in life, in sport too, deprivation makes people anxious and one-eyed, leading to mistakes and failure

Ed Smith

September 18, 2013

Ricky Ponting walks the steps back to the pavilion, Arundel, June 14, 2013
When you are desperate to succeed, you are so preoccupied with scoring runs that you attend less fully to watching and reacting to the ball © Getty Images

When you are starving, it is hard even to imagine being released from the ache of hunger. When you're shivering in a snowstorm, it is difficult to remember that one day, once again, you will feel the warmth of the summer sun on your face. Deprivation is not just a physical state; it also diminishes your psychological and imaginative capacity. All cricketers, even the great ones, understand this from personal experience. Bad form messes with your mind.

The striking thing about bad form is how it can poison a player's personality as well as his game. I played with one batsman who, if he was already out, would take every subsequent play-and-miss by a team-mate as a personal affront. "Look at him, playing and missing," he would mutter, "I must have used up all the bad luck earlier on." Even though his batting was no longer relevant to the innings, he was unable to separate his own narrow struggle for runs from the wider experience of watching someone else bat. His own scarcity of runs was so prominent at the front of his mind that he couldn't see around it.

Desperation born of scarcity also explains why batsmen play so weirdly when they are out of form. We have all seen out-of-form batsmen, searching to get off the mark, imagine scoring opportunities that weren't, in fact, ever there. When a struggling batsman plays across the line and gets lbw, it's often because he convinced himself that the ball was missing leg stump, and hence invited an easy scoring shot, when in fact it was always going straight at the stumps. Anxious hopefulness and harsh reality become confused in the batsman's mind - which explains why so many awkward conversations in the dressing room begin with the plaintive question, "That was missing leg, wasn't it?" (Translation: "Tell me that was missing leg!")

Social scientists have long understood the effect of scarcity on behaviour. During the Second World War, a group of conscientious objectors agreed to participate in a study on starvation at the University of Minnesota. Thirty-six healthy men lived in a controlled environment where their calorie intake was reduced to the point where they were eating just enough food that they didn't permanently damage their health. The physical results were graphic and extreme. Subjects lost so much weight that even sitting down became painful - they had to use pillows.

More relevant from a sporting perspective is how hunger affected the subjects' minds. One participant recalled what depressed him most about the experience: "It wasn't so much because of the physical discomfort, but because it made food the most important thing in one's life… food became the one central and only thing really in one's life. And life is pretty dull if that's the only thing. I mean, if you went to a movie, you weren't particularly interested in the love scenes, but you noticed every time they ate and what they ate." Scarcity had captured their minds to the point where they were overwhelmed by it. It changed the way they thought about everything else.

Starvation may sound like an extreme way of making a simple point. But a more recent study shows that mere routine hunger also affects how people go about straightforward activities. One experiment compared the responses of one group of dieters and another group of non-dieters to a simple task. The subjects simply had to push a button when they saw a red dot on the screen. Sometimes, just before the dot appeared, another picture would flash on the screen. For non-dieters, this picture did not influence their ability to see the red dot. But for dieters, they were less likely to see the red dot if they had just seen a picture of food. So flashing the image of a piece of cake, for example, significantly lowered the dieters' chances of noticing the red dot immediately afterwards. The cake, in effect, blinded them. The title of the study captures the point: "All I Saw Was the Cake."

Both these examples are drawn from the thoughtful new book Scarcity, by the Harvard economist Sendhil Mullainathan and the Princeton psychologist Eldar Shafir. Sport is not the focus of their book; it gets only two pages. But non-sports books have often helped me reflect on the experience of playing sport. Nassim Taleb's Fooled by Randomness taught me more about cricket than almost any other book - yet cricket is not mentioned, and Taleb hates organised sports.

In the same way, Scarcity provided brilliant scientific footnotes to an experience I remember only too well: being out of form, suffering from a scarcity of runs, feeling consumed by a craving for something I lacked. As the authors put it: "Because we are preoccupied by scarcity, because our minds constantly return to it, we have less mind to give to the rest of life." In cricketing terms: when you are desperate to succeed, you are so preoccupied with scoring runs that you attend less fully to watching and reacting to the ball.

The authors add: "We can measure fluid intelligence, a key resource that affects how we process information and make decisions. We can measure executive control, a key resource that affects how impulsively we behave. And we find that scarcity reduces all these components of bandwidth [or mental capacity] - it makes us less insightful, less forward-thinking, less controlled."

Exactly. It makes us more likely to get lbw. At an extreme, this process becomes choking, when the experience of scarcity is so dominant that athletes are unable to perform even perfunctory, routine tasks.

So how can sportsmen get out of the downward spiral of scarcity leading to still more scarcity? I've long suspected that the best players are often the best actors. They are able to project an aura of confidence - abundance, if you prefer - even when times are hard. This confidence trick is only partly about fooling the opposition. More importantly, it is also about fooling yourself. Mental strength, Steve Waugh once told me, is about behaving the same way in everything you do at the crease, no matter how badly you're playing.

The strongest competitors are better equipped at superimposing a better alternative reality that replaces the facts as everyone else perceives them. When Novak Djokovic is drawing away to victory, he hums his favourite piece of classical music to himself. The tune and the experience of victory have become intertwined. So he now hums the same tune when he is struggling at the start of a match - it helps him auto-correct towards confident, winning ways.

Hope, optimism, belief - call it what you will. Perhaps it is simply the ability to conjure the feeling of afternoon sunshine on your face while striding into the teeth of a winter gale.

Ed Smith's latest book is Luck - A Fresh Look at Fortune. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Ed Smith

Posted by Katey on (September 21, 2013, 6:55 GMT)

It's refreshing and informative the way you bring in information from other disciplines Ed. Cricket (or any other sport) can be a bit "same old, same old" otherwise. Thanks for that.

I was thinking as I read ... I wonder if this has something to do with the tendency of many teams to collapse, especially when the front-line batsmen have failed to set a platform? The next batsman comes in with the idea, "It's up to me or no-one" and tries too hard to make up for the lack of runs ... not their own lack but that of their team. And Bang Crash Wallop!, out they go ... and then the next batsman in thinks (even more tensely), "It's up to me or no-one" ... repeat scenario.

Often it ends up being the bowlers that rescue the team from total ignominy. No-one expects any major score from them, not even themselves, and they are therefore free of the mental pre-occupations of the batsmen.

Posted by Behind_the_bowlers_arm on (September 19, 2013, 17:30 GMT)

The mention of the effects of hunger on concentration is the best explanation of the sharp clear mind of Mike Gatting at the crease. That man takes no chances at being distracted.

Posted by salim on (September 19, 2013, 12:57 GMT)

Excellent work Ed, as usual. I hope I'm not underselling it by saying 'as usual' but I have come to enjoy most of your work on Cricinfo. Please continue in the same vein. Appreciate the topics and the content.

Posted by JohnnyRook on (September 19, 2013, 8:18 GMT)

I just love your articles, Ed. They bring a different perspective or to be precise the perspective of normal usual non-sport world to the sport world. I am closely associated with stock market and I can tell you how deeply past losses affect a person's psyche even if he is very strong emotionally.

Being grounded in present helped Tendulkar throughtout his career and by his own admission, he found 100th century most taxing because he was thinking about the milestone rather than the present ball. Result, a series of dismissals between 80 and 100 and then after this failure of conversion scarred his thinking, he started falling even before 80. If this can impact Tendulkar, chances are it will impact most players.

A little offtopic, if you loved Fooled by randomness, I am sure you would love "The Halo effect" by Phil Rosenweig.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 23:34 GMT)

And as always, a lovely article Eddie!

Posted by anurag23bhide on (September 18, 2013, 20:09 GMT)

Excellent article, Ed. I just want to share my observations of one very supremely confident player, MS Dhoni. I think he might be the very best example there is in cricket of "projecting an aura of confidence even when times are hard". This is not exactly in the context of run scarcity, but I suppose a high-pressure situation in a tough limited-overs run-chase must evoke similar thoughts in batsmen.

The occasion I want to highlight is the IPL final this year. Even in the most hopeless of situations with nearly 20 needed per over with 2 wickets in hand, he played the exact same innings he has played in the numerous Houdini jobs he has pulled off in the past. I realized at that time that he plays the exact same way irrespective of the situation, thus shutting out all the externalities of pressure and tension. Your theory that "the strongest competitors superimpose a better alternative reality that replaces the facts as everyone else perceives them" explains my observations perfectly.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 19:02 GMT)

This article is, to be honest, over written and academic. It was also quite boring. Now Ed writes good stuff but this was sadly not one of them.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 17:32 GMT)

This should be published to a wider audience. Extremely nicely researched article. I'll now read the books that you have referred to. Thanks Ed, keep it up!

Posted by prashant1 on (September 18, 2013, 14:39 GMT)

Yet another fantastic article. I fully agree with your line "Nassim Taleb's Fooled by Randomness taught me more about cricket than almost any other book - yet cricket is not mentioned, and Taleb hates organised sports."...We conveniently forget the pivotal impact of luck in any given individual innings.

Posted by o-bomb on (September 18, 2013, 11:44 GMT)

The only problem with this article is that when you started talking about food I realised I was hungry. I started skipping paragraphs and not comprehending the words fully as I was desperate to finish so I could eat. I'll read this again after my lunch.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (September 18, 2013, 11:08 GMT)

Ed Smith should have his own show with the analyst Simon Hughes, I rarely see such great insight on such regular basis, great stuff !

Posted by VKFan on (September 18, 2013, 10:36 GMT)

Ed, fine article. You nicely explain how bad form feeds upon itself, messes with the mind and prevents a quick return to form. One question that deserves a separate write-up from you though -- what causes the loss of form in the first place? Or taking one step further back, what is "form" anyway? Do other sports have similar concepts of form? Does a F1 race driver suffer bad form? I'm not saying they don't, but I've never heard that being proffered as an explanation for a poor race. What about the oft-cited "being in the zone"? That occurs less often than mere "good form", but is worth studying in itself.

As an avid Nassim Taleb reader myself, I'm also curious to hear more about how you applied ideas from his books to cricket...

Posted by ThinkingCricket on (September 18, 2013, 9:17 GMT)

This is the best article I've seen on this site. Excellent selection of topic and theme, very good substantiation of your point and it's impact. It's very true that the greatest players no matter how bad their form, carry themselves with that swagger or arrogance, or in the case of some others, the same quite confidence no matter how bad they are playing. It's a matter of inner security and self-belief; as you say, only the truly great are so sure of their ability that even when they are on poor runs, they can see the inevitability of a return to their old dominance.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (September 18, 2013, 8:56 GMT)

Posted by Nutcutlet on (September 18, 2013, 8:04 GMT)

A stimulating article, Ed. Thank you once again. When I realised where you were coming from - the starvation reference/ comparison clinched it - I immediately thought of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. M's hierarchy can be relevant to professional sportsmen & women higher up the scale too. Shane Watson (handily mentioned here by Whatsgoinoffoutthere: thanks!) provides an excellent case. At the beginning of the summer he was unsure of his place, almost an outsider in the touring team. His performances underscored his lack of security; he was denied (or denied himself?) a sense of belonging/attachment - essential for a team sport. Whist this fundamental need as an international cricketer was left unsatisfied, he lacked the confidence/ self-esteem to perform adequately. With timely nurturing by coach & capt (esp. during the Sussex game) his world visibly turned round. He became accepted, confident, refound self-esteem & ended the tour in triumph -- self-actualized at last. Gt work all round!

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 7:01 GMT)

Nice work Ed, but you know what they say, the simple things are always hard!

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 6:21 GMT)

Brilliant piece of work! It is so relatable.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 6:02 GMT)

Really great one! Though, the perspective is sports, it affects in other aspects of life as well!

Posted by Whatsgoinoffoutthere on (September 18, 2013, 6:00 GMT)

Or, in the mind of Shane Watson this summer:

Leg before? I can't be, I'm a decent batsman, I know where my stumps are, that happened last innings, I can't believe I could make the same mistake twice, even if I was playing the same shot, I've scored off that shot before, can't be, must be the umpire, must be England trying to unsettle me, must review this, let's see... WHAT???!

Posted by CrickFA on (September 18, 2013, 5:18 GMT)

Excellent Write up,very well written indeed

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 5:15 GMT)

This article not only applies to cricket, but to the broader aspects of life as well. Scarcity can occur in almost everything - food, love, work, money and due to which we end up failing in our fundamental duties also. Great article.

Posted by MaheshVenkat on (September 18, 2013, 4:44 GMT)

Thanks Ed for this impactful article. Felt that it was driving some home truths. Really a pleasure to read your articles.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 3:54 GMT)

Very nice piece. Of course some players are also just so bad that making runs isn't going to happen anyways no matter what you humm.

Posted by   on (September 18, 2013, 3:33 GMT)

Brilliantly written....

FeedbackTop

Worst keepers, and honours at Lord's

Ask Steven: Also, most keeping dismissals on debut, seven-for at HQ, and youngest ODI centurions

From swinging London to Maco country

Diary: Our correspondent walks and buses the streets of the English capital, and then heads for the coast

When Pidge strayed

My Favourite Cricket Story: Brett Lee remembers how Australia nearly lost the Old Trafford Test in the 2005 Ashes

How we misunderstand risk in sport

Ed Smith: Success, failure, innovation - they are all about our willingness to take risks and how we judge them

'Fast-bowling injuries account for two-thirds of games missed'

The Cricket Couch: Australian physio Alex Kountouris talks about player health management

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

Ridiculed Ishant ridicules England

Ishant Sharma has often been the butt of jokes, and sometimes deservedly so. Today, however, the joke was on England

England seem to have forgotten about personality

They have to see a glass that is half-full, and play the game as if it is just that, a game; and an opportunity

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Only 15 times in Test history has a player achieved the double of 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Going on current form, Bhuvneshwar could well be the 16th

Ishant's fourth-innings heroics in rare company

In India's win at Lord's, Ishant Sharma took the best bowling figures by an Indian in the fourth innings of a Test outside Asia. Here are five other best bowling efforts by Indians in the fourth innings of Tests outside Asia