New Zealand v South Africa, 3rd Test, Wellington, 3rd day March 25, 2012

Donald left NZ before start of Wellington Test

12

Allan Donald, South Africa's bowling coach, left New Zealand before the start of the third Test in order to get time off in a busy year. Donald flew home on March 20, for what the team management has called "personal reasons" but no announcement was made to explain his departure.

"It was always the plan when we left South Africa that Allan would leave during the third Test. The request came through before we left South Africa," Mohammad Moosajee, the South Africa team manager, told ESPNCricinfo. "It's always our plan to be flexible with team management."

Donald is involved in a travel-heavy year, which includes an IPL stint in India, tours to England and Australia and the World Twenty20 in September. Donald will meet up with the national team for the one-off T20 against India in Johannesburg on March 30 before his time at the Pune Warriors franchise, where he is the bowling coach. South Africa travel to England for two months from July, to the World T20 in Sri Lanka in September and to Australia in October.

The players' wives and girlfriends arrived in time for the second Test in Hamilton but Donald's wife, Tina, did not accompany them. His two children are of school-going age and were unable to travel to New Zealand during the tour.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • GooiMielies on March 25, 2012, 16:34 GMT

    Donald always wanted to be involved with coaching the SA-side, but they simply never gave him the job. He had to make a living that's why he took short term contracts with various teams (England and NZ). As soon as he got offered the job as SA bowling coach he took it. Simple.

    After spending 20+ years constantly away from home he probably want to spend this particular time with his family. Nothing to it. SA has the best bowling attack atm imo and few days won't make a difference.

  • on March 25, 2012, 14:48 GMT

    Have more respect. Allan Donald is a true patriot and will help SA to greatness. He pre-asked for leave, thats all.

  • on March 25, 2012, 13:37 GMT

    Crap! Donald was ignored by South Africa for years. He always stated his desire to coach in SA. Kirsten wanted him and thankfully we now have him. He was behind both the De Lange and Philander selections too.Get your facts straight before you slander the man. Sour grapes from kiwi corners more like it. South Africa does not need him in NZ now anyway. Job is pretty much done

  • Wallaroo on March 25, 2012, 11:36 GMT

    Mercenary lol. This happens in business all the time here in Australia (one of the more stable economies in the world), 35% of contractors never finish a contract, of the remaining 65% 50% only complete their contract within the specified time-frame, from members of the management team through to junior employees a large proportion are looking for change within a short time of joining - progress. Sport is a business period, unless there is something challenging and binding then there is always opportunity to be sought elsewhere. Some may not like it, including myself, however it's part of life, best we learn to deal with it.

  • Tsotsi on March 25, 2012, 11:09 GMT

    Get over yourselves, some of you here sound like self important couch experts with a delusion of insight. He made the request before they left and they said yes, to me he sounds like someone who is has enough respect for the team to ask for leave, and someone who still puts a priority on private life (something some fans don't seem to want them to have). Grow up!

  • SurlyCynic on March 25, 2012, 8:28 GMT

    He is a bit of a mercenary... but not a patch on the likes of Chris Gayle, the ultimate mercenary.

  • Kulungoma on March 25, 2012, 7:55 GMT

    The two correspondents above, obviously have personal knowledge of the details of Donalds coaching contracts with various countries and clubs and therefore can speak with some authority on the arrangements he may have made. He was only contracted to be with the Blackcaps until after the World Cup, so yes, your post is probably only 2 cents worth!!

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:32 GMT

    I think we've had too much of him. He doesnt have time for the team!!! Ged rid of him, bring in Klusner. He'lll be the bowling coach and also the next SA national coach after gary decides to sign off.

  • mrwaka on March 25, 2012, 7:27 GMT

    @HadleeCrowe & sirvivfan: He is only a bowling coach gents, not a head coach. If he were contracted to long stints in either of those cases, I would agree with you that he is flaky, but as it stands, he has always seen out his contracts and has never led anybody to believe that he would be there for longer than he stated. His stint with NZ was always going to be short lived.

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:14 GMT

    No one coaches for free. And no one is robotic enough to work without a break.

    During his playing days, Donald refused to be tempted to play for England because he wanted to turn up for his home country. Likewise, with his coaching stint. He chooses how to earn his bread.

    Ah, armchair criticism is *so* easy for us.

  • GooiMielies on March 25, 2012, 16:34 GMT

    Donald always wanted to be involved with coaching the SA-side, but they simply never gave him the job. He had to make a living that's why he took short term contracts with various teams (England and NZ). As soon as he got offered the job as SA bowling coach he took it. Simple.

    After spending 20+ years constantly away from home he probably want to spend this particular time with his family. Nothing to it. SA has the best bowling attack atm imo and few days won't make a difference.

  • on March 25, 2012, 14:48 GMT

    Have more respect. Allan Donald is a true patriot and will help SA to greatness. He pre-asked for leave, thats all.

  • on March 25, 2012, 13:37 GMT

    Crap! Donald was ignored by South Africa for years. He always stated his desire to coach in SA. Kirsten wanted him and thankfully we now have him. He was behind both the De Lange and Philander selections too.Get your facts straight before you slander the man. Sour grapes from kiwi corners more like it. South Africa does not need him in NZ now anyway. Job is pretty much done

  • Wallaroo on March 25, 2012, 11:36 GMT

    Mercenary lol. This happens in business all the time here in Australia (one of the more stable economies in the world), 35% of contractors never finish a contract, of the remaining 65% 50% only complete their contract within the specified time-frame, from members of the management team through to junior employees a large proportion are looking for change within a short time of joining - progress. Sport is a business period, unless there is something challenging and binding then there is always opportunity to be sought elsewhere. Some may not like it, including myself, however it's part of life, best we learn to deal with it.

  • Tsotsi on March 25, 2012, 11:09 GMT

    Get over yourselves, some of you here sound like self important couch experts with a delusion of insight. He made the request before they left and they said yes, to me he sounds like someone who is has enough respect for the team to ask for leave, and someone who still puts a priority on private life (something some fans don't seem to want them to have). Grow up!

  • SurlyCynic on March 25, 2012, 8:28 GMT

    He is a bit of a mercenary... but not a patch on the likes of Chris Gayle, the ultimate mercenary.

  • Kulungoma on March 25, 2012, 7:55 GMT

    The two correspondents above, obviously have personal knowledge of the details of Donalds coaching contracts with various countries and clubs and therefore can speak with some authority on the arrangements he may have made. He was only contracted to be with the Blackcaps until after the World Cup, so yes, your post is probably only 2 cents worth!!

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:32 GMT

    I think we've had too much of him. He doesnt have time for the team!!! Ged rid of him, bring in Klusner. He'lll be the bowling coach and also the next SA national coach after gary decides to sign off.

  • mrwaka on March 25, 2012, 7:27 GMT

    @HadleeCrowe & sirvivfan: He is only a bowling coach gents, not a head coach. If he were contracted to long stints in either of those cases, I would agree with you that he is flaky, but as it stands, he has always seen out his contracts and has never led anybody to believe that he would be there for longer than he stated. His stint with NZ was always going to be short lived.

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:14 GMT

    No one coaches for free. And no one is robotic enough to work without a break.

    During his playing days, Donald refused to be tempted to play for England because he wanted to turn up for his home country. Likewise, with his coaching stint. He chooses how to earn his bread.

    Ah, armchair criticism is *so* easy for us.

  • sirvivfan on March 25, 2012, 6:58 GMT

    I agree he is a true mercenary. Left SA quick time to be in England and then returned.

  • HadleeCrowe on March 25, 2012, 5:45 GMT

    Not surprising 'white lightning" left before the series finished. The guy is a mercenary solely after coaching bucks ($$$) ... coached the black caps for a few months then deserted as soon as he got more dollar... Fairly flaky, unreliable dude if ya ask for my two cents!

  • No featured comments at the moment.

  • HadleeCrowe on March 25, 2012, 5:45 GMT

    Not surprising 'white lightning" left before the series finished. The guy is a mercenary solely after coaching bucks ($$$) ... coached the black caps for a few months then deserted as soon as he got more dollar... Fairly flaky, unreliable dude if ya ask for my two cents!

  • sirvivfan on March 25, 2012, 6:58 GMT

    I agree he is a true mercenary. Left SA quick time to be in England and then returned.

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:14 GMT

    No one coaches for free. And no one is robotic enough to work without a break.

    During his playing days, Donald refused to be tempted to play for England because he wanted to turn up for his home country. Likewise, with his coaching stint. He chooses how to earn his bread.

    Ah, armchair criticism is *so* easy for us.

  • mrwaka on March 25, 2012, 7:27 GMT

    @HadleeCrowe & sirvivfan: He is only a bowling coach gents, not a head coach. If he were contracted to long stints in either of those cases, I would agree with you that he is flaky, but as it stands, he has always seen out his contracts and has never led anybody to believe that he would be there for longer than he stated. His stint with NZ was always going to be short lived.

  • on March 25, 2012, 7:32 GMT

    I think we've had too much of him. He doesnt have time for the team!!! Ged rid of him, bring in Klusner. He'lll be the bowling coach and also the next SA national coach after gary decides to sign off.

  • Kulungoma on March 25, 2012, 7:55 GMT

    The two correspondents above, obviously have personal knowledge of the details of Donalds coaching contracts with various countries and clubs and therefore can speak with some authority on the arrangements he may have made. He was only contracted to be with the Blackcaps until after the World Cup, so yes, your post is probably only 2 cents worth!!

  • SurlyCynic on March 25, 2012, 8:28 GMT

    He is a bit of a mercenary... but not a patch on the likes of Chris Gayle, the ultimate mercenary.

  • Tsotsi on March 25, 2012, 11:09 GMT

    Get over yourselves, some of you here sound like self important couch experts with a delusion of insight. He made the request before they left and they said yes, to me he sounds like someone who is has enough respect for the team to ask for leave, and someone who still puts a priority on private life (something some fans don't seem to want them to have). Grow up!

  • Wallaroo on March 25, 2012, 11:36 GMT

    Mercenary lol. This happens in business all the time here in Australia (one of the more stable economies in the world), 35% of contractors never finish a contract, of the remaining 65% 50% only complete their contract within the specified time-frame, from members of the management team through to junior employees a large proportion are looking for change within a short time of joining - progress. Sport is a business period, unless there is something challenging and binding then there is always opportunity to be sought elsewhere. Some may not like it, including myself, however it's part of life, best we learn to deal with it.

  • on March 25, 2012, 13:37 GMT

    Crap! Donald was ignored by South Africa for years. He always stated his desire to coach in SA. Kirsten wanted him and thankfully we now have him. He was behind both the De Lange and Philander selections too.Get your facts straight before you slander the man. Sour grapes from kiwi corners more like it. South Africa does not need him in NZ now anyway. Job is pretty much done