England v Bermuda, 2007 World Cup March 5, 2007

Bermuda crumble for 45

Cricinfo staff

England 286 for 8 (Dalrymple 76, Bell 46) beat Bermuda 45 (Lewis 3-7) by 241 runs

Back to batting; back to the pavilion © Getty Images

It wasn't entirely plain sailing for England but the end result proved emphatic enough, as Jamie Dalymple and Jon Lewis combined with bat and ball respectively to put the minnows of Bermuda firmly in their place, in the first World Cup warm-up match at Arnos Vale in St Vincent.

After winning the toss and choosing to bat first, England slipped to a mildly embarrassing 186 for 6, courtesy of a probing spell of left-arm spin from Bermuda's Man Mountain, Dwayne Leverock. But Dalrymple bailed them out with a slick 76 from 77 balls, and with a substantial total of 286 for 8 on the board there was no looking back. Bermuda's batting crumbled for a meagre 45 in just 22.2 overs.

It was a pretty sorry display from the Bermudans, for whom only the Glamorgan batsman, David Hemp, reached double figures (and he only made 11 from a painstaking 30 deliveries). The pick of the bowlers, on his return from injury, was Lewis, who found a nagging line and length to grab three wickets before conceding a run. He eventually finished with 3 for 7 from four overs, as Michael Vaughan and his deputy, Andrew Flintoff, chopped and changed the bowlers to give all the main men a chance to stretch their legs.

Consequently the wickets were shared among all six of England's bowlers. Liam Plunkett and James Anderson grabbed an opener apiece, as Dean Minors and Oliver Pitcher chipped tamely to mid-off and mid-on respectively. Stephen Outerbridge was impressively caught one-handed by a diving Kevin Pietersen in the covers, before Lewis - with the keeper, Paul Nixon, standing up to the stumps - trundled through the middle order.

Sajid Mahmood was once again a touch wayward but he did find a nice full length to bowl Lionel Cann for 5, before Andrew Flintoff suckered Hemp with a slower ball to signal the end of Bermuda's paltry resistance. Monty Panesar had Malachi Jones caught on the midwicket boundary and it was left to Flintoff to wrap up the proceedings as Kevin Hurdle holed out to the first ball he faced.

Hurdle had earlier given his side an encouraging start, yorking Ed Joyce for 7 before having Vaughan caught at square leg for 18 from 15 balls - an innings that included four typically classy boundaries but finished with a careless slap across the line.

After Ian Bell and Pietersen had restored some order with a 71-run stand for the third wicket, it was time for Leverock to enter the attack - a 21-stone frame belies a bowler of excellent control and skill. Paul Collingwood played an inauspicious cut to a full-pitched delivery to become his first victim, before Pietersen was snared with a fine, looping delivery outside his off stump, completely foxing the batsman who was cleanly stumped by Minors.

Leverock's Phil-Tufnell-esque ball-on-a-string was soon snaking its way around England's necks before Dalrymple's forceful, intelligent knock spared England's blushes. A steady partnership of 54 with Flintoff preceded a more aggressive 66 with Nixon, who took the back seat to Dalrymple. Both fell in the final overs to Delyone Borden but Dalrymple's knock broke England free of Leverock's shackles and ensured against any mishaps.