West Indies v England, 2nd Test, Antigua, 1st day

'The game should never have been allowed to start'

Martin Williamson

February 13, 2009

Comments: 23 | Text size: A | A


Groundsmen dig beneath the surface of the Antigua pitch and find a sandpit ... but was anyone connected with the ground really surprised? © Getty Images
Enlarge
 
A column on caribbeancricket.com by someone closely involved with the building of the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium has lifted the lid on the extent of the problems at the ground, as well as suggesting that this was a farce that was waiting to happen.

Issues, it is claimed, were apparent from the time the venue was being prepared for its opening ahead of the 2007 World Cup, and were so bad that the ICC considered moving matches away from the ground, although in the end all six fixtures did go ahead. But even then, poor grass coverage and excessive sand were a major worry, especially during Bangladesh's match against Australia, which was reduced to 22 overs a side despite bright sunshine.

"The project was perhaps not managed properly, the outfield was initially completed before the South Stand was finished," the source told the website. "So, heavy equipment was placed on the field [near the boundary] to lift and put the roof structure in place. Drainage pipes were damaged, and the shadow now cast by the massive roof prevented the grass from getting adequate sunlight during the growing-in process. The heavy equipment also damaged some of the underground drainage pipes, and this is what caused that problem during the World Cup."

However, little appears to have improved in the two years since then. Late in 2008 a local company which had been involved with other grounds ahead of the World Cup was hired to relay the outfield. Only when work started did they uncover the extent of the job facing them.

It is claimed they found clay on top of sand instead of vice-versa, crushed drainage pipes and a mass of garbage compacted at the base. The project time was immediately doubled. The race against time was further compromised by the Antiguan government who suspended work to allow a concert to be staged over Christmas.

"This is a huge embarrassment," the source stated. "People in positions of responsibility should lose those positions, [and] the game should never have been allowed to start.

"Players and umpires have been publicly expressing doubts about the suitability of the ground, especially the bowlers' run-ups. How hard would it have been to simulate a spell of bowling two days before the game?"

After the day's play had been abandoned, the groundstaff were seen digging in a futile fashion on the outfield, with the intention of laying down a stronger top-soil in a bid to enable the game to resume. However, according to David Bates, a former groundsman at Northants and one of the UK's leading sports ground consultants, such a plan would never have succeeded.

"There were risks to returfing the area that they would have needed to be aware of," said Bates, who is currently technical director of Total Turf Solutions. "Unless they had put in a solid block of turf, with a minimum depth of 250mm, then the turf would have will all kicked out again.

"Basically, the bigger the slab of turf, the more it will hold in place. The smaller the squares, the greater depth of soil and root growth will be needed. Get this wrong and the surface would not have been stable enough. I doubt if they would have been able to find slabs of turf this big or this deep just down the road."

The revelations that this problem was widely known for a long time before the game started will raise more questions over both the West Indies Cricket Board's role in the shambles as well as the failure by the ICC officials to take any action in the days before Caribbean cricket was again held up for global ridicule.

Martin Williamson is executive editor of Cricinfo and managing editor of ESPN Digital Media in Europe, the Middle East and Africa

RSS Feeds: Martin Williamson

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Posted by biglarafan on (February 15, 2009, 22:29 GMT)

Mike Atherton says that this incident adds to 'disastrous legacy of the World Cup'.Can Mike remind us of what he is speaking about.Is he talking about Bob Woolmer's death,how is that anyone's fault?Is it the Finals in Barbados,How is that WICB's doing.Mike GET REAL

Posted by maj57 on (February 15, 2009, 18:50 GMT)

what a joke. WICB should hang their heads in shame. Many of the tickets on this tour have been purchased by england fans who have paid out for trips and made plans based around this test match. Some would be going home Saturday because their trips were over and the return flights were Saturday. I hope that they take legal action against WICB and ICC. People in charge knew this match should not be played months ago. It is a pity that India were not the travelling team because we all know they are the true bosses of world cricket and they would have not let the WICB and ICC disrespect Indian fans, just like the English fans have been disrespected.

Posted by Itchy on (February 15, 2009, 6:26 GMT)

sriniwas, let it go son! If you are going to bitch about incorrect umpiring decisions made in cricket matches, then I suggest chess may be your sport.

WICB - covered yourselves in glory......again! Thankfully someone had the good sense to add another match to this series.

Posted by pragmatist on (February 14, 2009, 17:44 GMT)

People of Antigua - we know you hate the new stadium. This is your big chance to make your voices heard. Rally round, come to the ARG on Sunday and make it a party to end all parties. This farce can have a happy ending, and it's up to you to make it happen.

Posted by Jeff_J on (February 14, 2009, 14:28 GMT)

Very poor planning on the part of the WICB. In this modern age this is not supposed to happen. The players on arriving at the stadium saw the conditions and made a pretty good assessment of the playing area in a matter of hours, how could the personal in charge have missed this? There are other grounds in the Caribbean that are upto standard to host such games, why did they persist with Antigua? I hope this gives the West Indies the opportunity to reconsider the final 11, clearly Simmons is in form and deserves to be given his first test cap in Antigua.

Posted by buffalobill99 on (February 14, 2009, 14:16 GMT)

I absolutely agree with Patrick_Clarke - the game should be awarded to the visitors and the local cricket board fined heavily. This is a major embarassment for West Indian cricket and not the first time. Did they not learn? Clearly not and the ICC should make it absolutely clear that this cannot again be repeated, using a big stick.

Posted by CricketisMyPassion on (February 14, 2009, 13:11 GMT)

ICC, WICB, the local cricket admin at Antigua and the match officials - referee (especially), umpires - ALL these must cop the blame. If i was the referee or umpire I wd have walked out of it, if they did not heed my advice to stop from starting the Test in the first place. My heart goes out to those passionate fans, esp. to those who might have spent a tidy sum from their hard earned money for a lifetime experience and now have to go back broken hearted. I was witness to how an old couple felt when they were taken for literal ride by a tourist guide in Goa way back in 1989. He skipped the Fort Aguada stop and when asked about it he nonchalantly replied they can visit it the next time they come to Goa from Kolkatta!

Heads MUST roll, as Holding demands. But will they?

Posted by Patrick_Clarke on (February 14, 2009, 12:13 GMT)

I recall at the time the Jamaica test in 1998 was abandoned after 20 minutes on the first day, it was said this should never happen again. Well it has, and the ICC are to blame for not having clear procedures, such as the following: 1)If a stadium is unfit for play for anything other than an unavoidable problem such as rain or bad light, the match should be abandoned and awarded to the visiting team; 2)The home Cricket Board should be fined $500,000 and the money raised given as compensation to anyone paying to attend the game as visitors; 3)The offending ground to be banned from hosting any further matches for a minimum of three years. This Test Series should now stand at 1-1. If these measures were in place this farce would never have happened.

I'd also suggest that 7 days before each match a competent ICC official visits all venues to check they are on course to be fit for play - if none exist I'd be glad to do it for a small fee.

Posted by Ellis on (February 14, 2009, 11:43 GMT)

If the bowler's run-ups were suspect, how difficult would it have been for live tests at both ends? The SKY commentators were clearly expressing deep reservations well before play started. Were the conditions only obvious to them? One suspects pressure on the people responsible for the ground including WICB, from parties interested in the tourist and other agencies. Once again, Cricket authorities have dismissed the needs of players and spectators. Money, money, money. That is all that counts. WICB, Alan Hurst, and the umpires are all culpable. Not to mention shadowy interests behind the scenes.West Indian people deserve far better. The comedy of errors that is West Indian cricket administration must be brought to an end.

Posted by Somerset-Richard on (February 14, 2009, 11:21 GMT)

Alongside my sympathy for the paying public, some of whom must have saved up for years to make this their holiday, I concur with those who feel embarrassed on behalf of the great Viv Richards. Unfortunately some bunch of incompetent clowns have put HIS name on such a monstrous foul-up.

Posted by Somerset-Richard on (February 14, 2009, 11:12 GMT)

It is now becoming apparent that the Cricket World Cup 2007 may have some far-reaching consequences. I visited Grenada about 3 years ago and the Chinese were building a new stadium then to host some of the CWC matches. From a hill that overlooked it one could see that, quite simply, it was just a rubble-strewn building site.

I asked around about how ready they thought the "stadium" would be, and the popular opinion was that these Chinese builders thought you could just drop a bit of turf on top of all the rubble and cement. The locals were raising their eyebrows even then at the prospect of the likes of Shoaib, Brett Lee etc tearing in to bowl on a goat track.

I think there has to be some culpability if the whole thing was pushed ahead by people who don't even know that it takes YEARS to let even a village cricket pitch mature.

Posted by Vellu-Singapore on (February 14, 2009, 11:12 GMT)

It is very sad that 2nd test ended in this way. I have lot of respect with West Indies Cricket Board. WICB, should have inspected and make sure that the pitch conditions good for playing test matches.Indeed, Sir Vivian Richards Ground name should not be faded in this way.

Palanivel, Singapore

Posted by growltiger on (February 14, 2009, 10:37 GMT)

The report makes clear this was a combination of pork-barrel politics, poor judgment on the location of the ground, wrong positioning of the stand (because of the shadow) and terrible building standards. All followed up by the most futile cover-up, under all those tons of sand. At last the puzzle of the missing beach, reported in the media last winter, has been solved. But how anybody thought cricket could be played on sand is still more of a mystery.

Posted by John-Price on (February 14, 2009, 10:05 GMT)

I suggest the Sir Vivian Richards stadium be renamed the International Cricket Council Stadium.

Posted by Legstump on (February 14, 2009, 9:11 GMT)

I just hope and pray that they get the game on with no problems on Sunday. It would be better if the authorities cancelled Sunday if it was not ready rather than get these poor travelling fans turning up to yet another farce. Test cricket is already taking a back seat with the new version of 20/20. If Sunday is another failure then more people will start to give up on test cricket I fear.

Posted by lappies on (February 14, 2009, 7:00 GMT)

Someone should take responsibility and then those who were responsible should be fired. Totally unacceptable in modern cricket. Take future tours away from the West Indies until all ground have been inspected and cleared by the ICC.

Posted by NavalPatel on (February 14, 2009, 6:48 GMT)

Most definitely ICC are ultimately responsible. Alan Hurst was a pace bowler in his playing days, he should have verified for himself at least two days beforehand the complaints by players of both teams regarding ground unfitness. What are Match Referees provided for, if not to ensure that ALL cricket matters are adequately dealt with. Otherwise are they only to extort fines and impose suspensions? When the match was actually started and then interrupted, could not matting have been laid over entire bowler run-ups to improve traction, and the match thus continued?

Posted by sriniwas_mahapatro on (February 14, 2009, 6:38 GMT)

Well the 7 wonders should also have the india australia sydney test at the top of the list which was a total farce and it dint only cost the math to the indians but the whole test series, where there were repeated wrong decisions and ricky and a few member of aussies even tried to give decisions with their wish and the umpires just complying to them...

Posted by Ajay42 on (February 14, 2009, 6:22 GMT)

The ending of the last world cup must rank high among the list of farces. Actually, one feels for the great Viv Richards, who muct feel gutted after this monstrous joke.

Posted by andrew-schulz on (February 14, 2009, 3:27 GMT)

7 blunders of the modern world? Cricket would have a few nominations. The Kingston Test of 1998 (also against England and abandoned after a few overs), the Oval forfeit fiasco of 2006, where the result has been overturned three times and counting, the Harbhajan hat-trick of 2001, only one of which was anywhere near out, the refusal of the Indian authorities to resume the match at Hyderabad in 1969 when NZ were 3 wickets away from victory (maybe doesn't qualify as modern), crowd riot at Kingston in 1978 when Australia was one wicket from victory, and the subsequent refusal of umpire Gosein to resume the match the next day because he didn't want West Indies to lose. Yep, cricket had just about got it covered. But the final 8 system for the National Rugby League in Australia should get a guernsey too.

Posted by lagop on (February 14, 2009, 2:40 GMT)

This is the second game in the history of International Cricket to be abandoned after the play has started. The first game was the one day international betweeen India and Sri Lanka on 25.12.97. Sri Lanka had wont the toss and batted first. The match was abandoned after three overs as captains felt that it was dangerous for the player to carry on with the game. Mohammad Azharuddin was leading India, while Sri Lankans were led by Arjuna Ranatunga. Match refree AM Ibrahim of Zimbabwe called of the match. Sri Lanka had made 17 for one in three overs when the game was abandoned. It is interesting to note the office Rajesh Chauhan shared the new ball with Javagal Srinath

Posted by cricketfan89 on (February 14, 2009, 2:00 GMT)

I believe that it is entirely the fault of the WICB. I mean, yes the ICC takes care of all the international stuff but it should be the WICB taking care of the pitches that are in their jurisdiction. They knew that the there was a problem with the pitch and their failure of taking care of it before anymore matches are played there is just unacceptable.

Posted by jacoliame on (February 13, 2009, 22:44 GMT)

One of the 7 Blunders of the Modern World.

Any candidates for the other 6 ?

The start of the Grand National 1993 must be up there with this one..

Who is to blame for the mess in Antigua ... the ICC, the WICB, the officials ... and what should happen now?
Comments have now been closed for this article

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
Martin WilliamsonClose
Martin Williamson Executive editor Martin Williamson joined the Wisden website in its planning stages in 2001 after failing to make his millions in the internet boom when managing editor of Sportal. Before that he was in charge of Sky Sports Online and helped launch and run Sky News Online. With a preference for all things old (except his wife and children), he has recently confounded colleagues by displaying an uncharacteristic fondness for Twenty20 cricket. His enthusiasm for the game is sadly not matched by his ability, but he remains convinced that he might be a late developer and perseveres in the hope of an England call-up with his middle-order batting and non-spinning offbreaks. He is now managing editor of ESPN EMEA Digital Group as well as his Cricinfo responsibilities.
Tour Results
West Indies v England at Gros Islet - Apr 3, 2009
England won by 26 runs
West Indies v England at Bridgetown - Mar 29, 2009
England won by 9 wickets (with 9 balls remaining) (D/L method)
West Indies v England at Bridgetown - Mar 27, 2009
West Indies won by 8 wickets (with 176 balls remaining) (D/L method)
West Indies v England at Providence - Mar 22, 2009
West Indies won by 21 runs
West Indies v England at Providence - Mar 20, 2009
England won by 1 run (D/L method)
More results »
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days