England v Australia, World Twenty20 final, Barbados

Collingwood savours triumph at the end of a long journey

Andrew McGlashan in Barbados

May 16, 2010

Paul Collingwood holds aloft the ICC World Twenty20 trophy, England v Australia, ICC World Twenty20 final, Barbados, May 16, 2010
Paul Collingwood raises the World Twenty20 trophy © AFP

The transformation is complete. The ECB can hunt for those keys to the trophy cabinet, silverware is on the way to Lord's. As they have been since the start of the Super Eights, England were magnificent as they powered past the previously indomitable Australia.

It was quite fitting that Paul Collingwood was there in the middle to hit the winning runs with a six and two fours. He had been a reluctant leader of this side when it was decided that Andrew Strauss didn't have a place in Twenty20, but along with Andy Flower, who is developing a reputation as one of the game's finest coaches, has formed a limited-overs unit that might already be regarded as England's greatest of all time.

Collingwood had a lean tournament with the bat but that didn't matter a jot as he was chased around the Kensington Oval by Kevin Pietersen, followed close behind by their ecstatic team-mates. After waiting 35 years there was a lot of pent-up emotion to release. What made the achievement even more remarkable was that England cruised to victory and any nerves were purely with the English fans who have been so used to one-day failure.

"This is a very special moment," Collingwood said. "This is right up there, with the best, the guys deserve everything they've got today. We've won a World Cup, and you can never take that away from us. We thoroughly deserve the victory, because the way we've played throughout the tournament has been consistent and also [we've been] taking the game to the opposition.

"We've had a lot of belief, and the guys have thought very well for themselves and made the right decisions. In the end, we've turned up on a big occasion like this and we've performed. I'm absolutely delighted with the guys. We knew it was a monkey on our back. We knew what it meant, and that is why I am so pleased that these last two performances in such pressurised situations were absolutely spot on."

In fact, they played like a side that had been winning tournaments for years. After the tension in Guyana where the weather nearly scuppered their chances, everything the team has touched has turned to gold. Ryan Sidebottom, a controversial selection ahead of James Anderson at the beginning of the competition, continued to justify his place with two vital early wickets (and he stayed fit throughout). Even the move to give Luke Wright his only over of the tournament, when Michael Yardy proved expensive, paid dividends as he removed the dangerous Cameron White.

England began the chase in a measured fashion, aware of the new-ball threat from Dirk Nannes and Shaun Tait, but they were still well ahead after the Powerplay with 41 for 1 compared to 24 for 3 by Australia.

Craig Kieswetter converted his start into a substantial contribution and Pietersen completed a memorable week with a stroke-filled 47 that included a front-foot drive for six off Tait. England's limited-overs cricket has never been so vibrant with the one-day side also making significant strides, and all of a sudden the World Cup next year isn't something to be dreaded.

"You can see from the way the guys have gone out from the first ball, believing in themselves, taking it to the opposition and playing a brand of cricket that is unlike England in the past," Collingwood said. "I think a lot of credit goes to every single player in the dressing room, to have the confidence to go out there and really give it their best shots and have no regrets. I think we have done that throughout the tournament and it has certainly paid off."

Never has an England team fielded better - Stuart Broad's horrid drop off David Hussey notwithstanding - while they have also rarely seemed a happier unit. That is obviously easy to do when you are winning, but the strides the side have made in the 18 months are remarkable given the state they were in when Pietersen and Peter Moores lost their jobs. A large part of that has been down to Andrew Strauss, whose efforts weren't forgotten by the Twenty20 skipper.

"Straussy comes back as captain, and we'll get his team ethos and ideas," Collingwood said. "That's been a big part of this victory as well - what Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss have done over the past year. It's been magnificent, and they've got the team pointing in the right direction."

After the fallout from the 2005 Ashes victory celebrations, English cricket has learnt to handle success with a little more composure. An open-top bus tour is unlikely and the likes of Yardy, Tim Bresnan and Eoin Morgan will have to wait a little longer for their MBEs. As was the case after last summer's Ashes triumph there is already talk of looking forward, but the team will enjoy this victory first.

"We're not going to get carried away - well, we are for the next couple of days," Collingwood joked. "We're going to savour the moment and enjoy it, because we deserve to. But good teams kick on, and that's exactly what we'll get drilled into the guys. We've got a lot more potential as well - that's the scary part about it. We can go even further.

"But this is what we came here to achieve, and we've done it. The next step is to savour the moment, celebrate as a team - and then we'll come across the next hurdle."

The biggest issue facing the team is now a race to get home before ahead of the volcanic ash cloud, but given what they have achieved over the last two weeks they might be able to beat that as well.

Andrew McGlashan is assistant editor of Cricinfo

RSS Feeds: Andrew McGlashan

Posted by Vilander on (May 18, 2010, 22:29 GMT)

Good to see this, Eng won..beauty. For once i am happy seeing a team other than india win. Now Eng, play like this eventually the fall would come it could come soon but get back up and fight there would also be those who would say for instance after Ashes test loss that this was a fluke...now you dont want that do you.

Posted by rambadi on (May 18, 2010, 22:02 GMT)

Frankly, I don't like the fact that England is getting ahead of itself. This is a great victory. This is a cause to celebrate. No doubt. But, constant referrals to this victory as a World Cup victory by Collingwood and making it sound as though "We have won this, it does not matter what happens from here." is not a good sign.

50-Over Cricket is the real test. That is the real World Cup. It is sad not many people place importance on that anymore. T-20 is purely a batsman's game. 50-Over cricket is a balanced one-day event for bowlers and batsmen, and is far more mentally and physically testing on both bowlers and batsmen. We should not forget that.

I hope all three formats are retained. And I surely hope England does everything it can to win THE WORLD CUP (50-Overs). And it is about time we put a stop to playing World T-20 every year or every two years. Make it every four years. And if it gains an entry into the Olympics, get rid of World T-20 and play only 50-Over World Cup.

Posted by GlawsCroucher on (May 18, 2010, 16:40 GMT)

wow - I though that it was supposed to be the POM's that whinged! To all OZ fans, I think that the phrase that you are looking for is "well played, we'll get you next time". Anything else just makes you sound a little bit pathetic (especially when your skipper conceded that he was beaten by a better team). Cheer up though, it was only Twenty20 and we all know that it's Test cricket that counts. Now who holds the Ashes at the moment?......

Posted by popcorn on (May 18, 2010, 13:01 GMT)

It is typical of England to indulge in over-the - top reactions. Like the Open top bus in 2005 when they won the Ashes.ONLY TO BE WALLOPED 5 NIL WHEN THEY CAME TO AUSTRALIA AND RETURNED WITH THEIR TAILS BETWEEN THEIR LEGS! I bet you the samre thing will happen this summer in Australia. Stupid of Warne to read so much into a Twenty20 win. everybody knows it is lottery. His Team Rajasthan Royals sunk to its depths in IPL 3.After winning IPL 1. Shane Warne loves to talk - even if it means talking nonsense.Ask him about the sitter he dropped in the slips from his "mate" Kevin Pietersen in the Oval Test 2005, and he'll shut up.

Posted by   on (May 18, 2010, 12:50 GMT)

Congratulations team England ..........They looked confident for the first time in an icc tournament for first time...

Posted by admshafi on (May 18, 2010, 11:05 GMT)

I didn't any comment about the cricket ability of indian team, how is it possible? they have players like sachin,sehwag,dravid,gambhir!! i like sachin but hate ipl like turnament! it can just harms cricket as a sport, i hope u can understand!

Posted by admshafi on (May 18, 2010, 10:50 GMT)

Offcourse! i hope bangladesh will be a team within 5-7years that can win world cup! i also hope atleast bangladesh will reach quartar final in next world cup, you can trust!!!

Posted by   on (May 18, 2010, 8:47 GMT)

@Admshafi - I am INDIAN...You are right Cricket is not safe In India.Can u gaurantee it will be safe with BAN or PAK(Atleast for single match in Pak).I am happy England has won Worldcup not AUS and meanwhile sad that we lost WC but still Indian players desrves the result.India has won already one 50-WC and one 20-WC.Can you Imagine BAN into QuarterFinals atleast...and Don't every dream for it also....It's IMPOSSIBLE not HOPE ever...INDIANS lost beacuse of Dhoni captain tatics and Mr.Blamer for both two T-20 WC exit RavinderJadeja. MuraliVijay, Yuvi,Yusf went for IPL relaxation and to enjoy parties...Still we can hope INDIA will win WC next time or after 10+ years....Do u have HOPE or DREAM on BAN winning WC...Atleast can u imagine...???

Posted by MiddlePeg on (May 18, 2010, 7:45 GMT)

@ThunderFromDownUnder. Perhaps you'd have faired a little better if you'd been able to field the English born Andrew Symonds? Part of the problem is not where the player was born but what you do with them once they pledge their allegiance to you. Australia ruined Symonds.....although I doubt he'd have withstood the ENGLISH bowling attack any better than the rest of Australia...

Posted by ThunderFromDownUnder on (May 18, 2010, 5:45 GMT)

Hollow... hollow... hollow...

Couldn't beat anyone if they fielded 11 Englishmen as we all know.

Posted by kjkurien on (May 17, 2010, 19:24 GMT)

admshafi - Let Bangladesh win a title..this indian will cheer their win(more to cheer for my own brother)..the challenge is on your court Sir.

The glut of money in Indian cricket is spoiling the team. We have guys with pot belly(filled with coke) and flab. Kris Shrikanth...please send the team to an army boot camp before dispatching them to play any cricket outside our borders. The bowlers need to be sent for some special muscular training(If you send them to me.. i will help them overcome mind games:-). I would like to see bowlers able to vary pace between 100 to 150 kmph. India first needs bowlers before I can point my fingers at fat batsmen

Posted by kjkurien on (May 17, 2010, 19:13 GMT)

I am an ardent Indian cricket fan. Congratulations to Team England ! Well deserved one. I am very thrilled to hear about the resurgent England team. I like the idea of tough formidable teams playing cricket in the world arena. To just have Australia dominate will be unsavory for this game. We need tough competition for the betterment of the game. So far I had discounted England as a good cricketing team. Today they have my respect and hope they keep it going. Only sore loosers complain about non-english players, that is pure whining coming from jealous folks. I would like to see England grow and bring up more talents. Keiswetter, Lumb, et all. Great Job.

Posted by admshafi on (May 17, 2010, 17:40 GMT)

I AM BANLADESHI I am really happy that england won the trophy,its not india, cricket is more safe in the hand of australia or england than india AS A SPORT. I hope india NEVER WIN A WORLD CUP.

Posted by kitten on (May 17, 2010, 16:50 GMT)

Hearty Congratulations to England. They thoroughly deserved their victory. It was indeed a pleasure to see them beat the Aussies so convincingly. Even though I am an English supporter, I had seen the Aussies play their games, and they are a brilliant bunch, make no mistake. They never accept defeat until the final ball, so it was indeed a great relief to see England not stumble at the last hurdle(like they have done in the past), and emerge victorious. Kudos to Colly, KP, Kieswetter. Swann, and all the rest for this memorable victory. CHEERS!!

Posted by zak123kaif on (May 17, 2010, 16:05 GMT)

Well done England for outplaying Australia.

Posted by A_Sekar on (May 17, 2010, 13:55 GMT)

Congratulations to England for having outplayed Aussies on the day that mattered. At no stage England were behind. But for me there were two silver moments in their path to the championship and both were provided by Swann with the wickets of Sangakkara in the semi final and of Clarke in the final. With the return of Strauss and Jonathan Trott in their regular squad, this England team could well be the no. 1 team in the immediate future.

Posted by Waikato_FC on (May 17, 2010, 13:50 GMT)

Legster, Nannes may well have a Dutch-ish name and one or more Dutch parents, but last time I checked Mount Waverley was in Melbourne ... While i'm sure Andrew Symonds showed his cricketing talent at a very young age, I believe he was about 2 when he moved to Australia, so to give credit to the English setup for his game is a little wide of the mark. I'm not knocking England for having some non English-born players, far from it, just being a bit picky! :)

Posted by billadeepak on (May 17, 2010, 13:28 GMT)

congras to Eng for the way they played and beaten the mighty Aussies.Superb performance by England. They really deserved to be the champions. This English team has true match winners like Keiswitter, KP, Colli, Swann, Broad & etc ... Keep it up guyz ... we all wanted to have this change .go BARMY ARMY GO. we all want a Ashes victory.Amongst the current crop of cricketers, couldn't have happened to a better person -wonderful news of Colly lifting T20 WC trophy. Well done!

Posted by TurningSquare on (May 17, 2010, 13:19 GMT)

Never mind about the our 'non english' players our 'English' bowlers did as much of the job as anyone else, Swann who is a top class spinner especially, they are the heroes.

Posted by   on (May 17, 2010, 12:15 GMT)

something no no..a real big thing to cheer for English fans...

Posted by   on (May 17, 2010, 12:12 GMT)

I went to bed smiling, having worn my England shirt with pride during the match, and woke up smiling but, right now, I'm sitting here taking in the events of last night and the victory that came from it. I always knew they could do it but there was "what if they don't....." lurking at the back of my mind. Incredible to believe this is the 1st title they've won. They've been in the Semis regularly in the ODIs, even got to the Final on a couple of occasions, but never won. Now they've stepped up and gone in believing that they could win; not for one second did they believe that they couldn't or wouldn't win!! Real credit to the players, the Captain, and the Coach, a fantastic effort against a team that doesn't know how to lose. The self-belief that these guys now have is wonderful and I couldn't be more proud of them. Thank you England for giving me something to smile about and for giving me a team that I can say are true champions in every sense of the word.

Posted by KXAH on (May 17, 2010, 11:49 GMT)

Superb performance by England. They really deserved to be the champions. This English team has true match winners like Keiswitter, KP, Colli, Swann, Broad & etc ... Keep it up guyz ... we all wanted to have this change ...

Posted by L4zybugg3r on (May 17, 2010, 11:22 GMT)

@ Legster - Point taken about Nannes, but Symonds is a pretty weak example I mean even if he was born in England he really isn't English. England seems to be loaded with players from other countries, I think Strauss, Pietersen, Prior, Morgan, Kieswetter (apparently), Lumb, Trott, Ambrose, Shah are all from other countries. Only some of these players are in the T20 team, its just kinda funny how it doesn't seem like an England win. Having said that, they were the better team on the day so full credit to them. I do wish Pakistan had made it through though as I think it would've been a closer game.

Posted by AnyoneButVettel on (May 17, 2010, 11:11 GMT)

It don't matter what guys like Mudhabir have to say. KP, Lumb, Kieswetter and Morgan now play for England - deal with it. (I'd rather Lumb not, but who knows he might shine in the future.) Morgan is my current favorite player among all teams.

Posted by chokkashokka on (May 17, 2010, 10:16 GMT)

Well well - thought I'd never see it in my lifetime but England have won an ICC tournament - a well deserved win. Thinking ahead to the next ICC World Cup in the sub-continent, the ECB may want to start the campaign to encourage its players to learn to negotiate spin or offer Mohammed Yousuf and Younis Khan an English passport perhaps.

Posted by Dhoni_fan_from_a_dada_era on (May 17, 2010, 9:19 GMT)

legster, ignore the vibes about south african & irish imports. the point is they wished to play for england. Britons should savour this moment. without paying heed to whatever whoever is saying around. This is a moment of glory for you. I wish I was in UK to relish the moment. Last time when India won it, i was in UK and now when UK has won it I am in India :-( Cheers to all my friends in UK...

Posted by MATT-EIP on (May 17, 2010, 9:17 GMT)

One of the most satisfying things for me about this win was that all those Aussies who posted comments on here saying their team would walk all over the English have been proved utterly wrong. I really thought Aus were favourites going into the game and it makes it all the better that England won, and lets be honest, won easily. Well played Aus though, they had a good tournament and who can forget their semi-final battle. Roll on the Ashes! Let's hope it's better fought than the last one down under!

Posted by   on (May 17, 2010, 8:53 GMT)

Posted by WildAmigo on (May 17, 2010, 8:49 GMT)

Very Heartiest Congrats to English Team Especially Paul Collingwood, Kieswetter, Morgan and not to be forgotten KP...We need more this kind of victories so the competition in ICC tournament should became tougher and interesting...

Posted by Nothing_Lost_For_Ever on (May 17, 2010, 8:27 GMT)

To simply put, a clinical execution to shut OZ.

Posted by gzawilliam on (May 17, 2010, 7:41 GMT)

As an aussie i still think England deserved this more than us. But was still a bit disappointed in collingwood's comments. Surely he could be gratious enough to at least mention clarke and his players. England were the better sporting team. But I think Michael Clarke left here with a lot of credit in my opinion. Very gracious in defeat. Just a pity his two main weapons didn't fire in Warner and Tait.

Posted by santhoshkudva on (May 17, 2010, 7:33 GMT)

great work England! wish the result again WI had gone (rightfully) England's way to round off a great tournament. colly, ashes next. hope you and the team are just as well prepared for that as you were for the t20 wc. good luck for your future endeavours.

Posted by DrDeepakSitaramHiwale on (May 17, 2010, 7:31 GMT)

Really happy that England won. After all they looked every bit the deserving ones. Although, Australia were their opponents in the final, I thought Pakistan deserved to be there after they way they played in the semis. Maybe then the final would have been a better affair. But, I am really happy for the English cricket fans, esp. since they always have to contend with their national teams reaching losing at finals or semi finals at world but seldom more than that, be it football, cricket or individual games like tennis. This also augurs well for Twenty 20 cricket back in England. Hope they come up with a good format like the IPL in England. If it does happen, it is deemed to be a success esp with a lot of Asian population. Also, what a statement England made, winning with three overs to spare. This also nice sets up this year's ashes series. Mouth watering prospect!

Posted by Legster on (May 17, 2010, 7:18 GMT)

Mudhabhir, KP has an English mother and therefore was eligible to play for England, Kieswetter qualified by residency of his own free will, once that happened they became English citizens and therefore English, so accusing them of being South African imports is a bit of a cheap, sly and ultimately unwarranted dig.

For example, Dirk Nannes was born in the Netherlands but played for Australia having qualified by residency, surely you aren't going to claim Australia got to the finals because of a Dutch import? The past ODI World Cups won by Australia had significant contributions from Andrew Symonds, who again was born in England, so that makes their wins null and void too? I'm thinking of sour grapes.

Ultimately, nothing in the world stops any player from qualifying to play for whatever country they desire to play for, deal with it.

Posted by Christy1268 on (May 17, 2010, 6:54 GMT)

The next World cup is in the sub-continent - collie, better bring good players of spin and hone the spin bowling talents at home for a grinding run-fest !!

Posted by   on (May 17, 2010, 6:42 GMT)

I am an Indian supporter. Congratulations to England team - PAUL and his ENGLISH KNIGHTS, for this long-awaited moment of glory. All Britons should savour this and accord Paul Collingwood a special place in the history of England Sports for this achievement. I hope this will be a major steps to many achievements by the England Cricket team in the Ashes and other future tournaments.

Posted by crocker on (May 17, 2010, 6:36 GMT)

Congratulations England! and a bit of advice. Now that you have won the WC it is established that you know your cricket. So, do not listen to any advice from old generation of cricketers who only talked cricket but could never play it. Your whole hearted participation in scoring runs and fielding was encouraging. Remember as a spectator and supporter of cricket we expect more than 10 runs per over in T20, 8 runs per over in ODI and 4 runs per over in Test matches - for the time being. Wish you all the best for further improvement.

Posted by mudhabir on (May 17, 2010, 6:34 GMT)

Congrats to England for their first ICC trophy,but think what if there was no pietersen and kieswetter (two south africans).This team is good but they should field an all eng X1. They won it because of two south africans.Kieswetter was the man of the match and pietersen was the man of the series.

Posted by ashy16in_ on (May 17, 2010, 6:04 GMT)

Graeme Swann was superb throughout the tournament and is probably going to be the unsung hero because of Peterson's heroics. He not only restricted the scoring rate but also chipped in with important wickets at crucial stages. He has been instrumental in England's resurgence over the last few months. I think Peterson and Swann should have been adjudged the joint Man of the Series.

Posted by vivekk83 on (May 17, 2010, 4:37 GMT)

Congrats Colly. This Team has played with utmost confidence and the youngsters in the team just don't seem to have any fear. KP's batting was a delight to watch and england at least for now seem to have plugged their top order worries... It was fitting that colly lofted the trophy for he has been one of England's greatest warriors who has stood the test of time despite not being the most flashiest or gifted cricketers......

Posted by krik8crazy on (May 17, 2010, 4:32 GMT)

Well done England, congratulations! Colly is one of my favorite players and I am happy to see him lead England to victory. Once again 20-20 has proved that the best team on the day wins, no matter what the teams' reputations may be. England believed in themselves throughout the tournament and are deserved winners.

Posted by emmwill on (May 17, 2010, 3:51 GMT)

Congratulations to Collingwood and the rest of the England team! They were the most efficient team of the tournament. They deserved to win the world cup. At least, the English have a world cricket title in their bags and a trophy in the cabinet that has been gathering dust. I could not believe the magnitude of the victory against the ruthless Australians. Unbelievable. You don'y beat Australia so comprehensively that often in any of the three formats of the game. Hats off to the English! They are worthy winners of a well run and incident free world cup. The West Indians have done well this time.

Posted by Cricketencyclopedia on (May 17, 2010, 2:35 GMT)

I am a West Indian supporter, & I must say that I supported England to beat Australia in the T20 finals. I had anticipated that these two teams would meet in the final also. It is the very first time that England have won an ICC tournament, after being runners up in four previous ICC tournaments. This is a sign of great things to come, as long as the English cricketers can continue to maintain the high standards that they set during the tournament. As long as England continue to play aggressive cricket, I have no doubt that the team can beat Australia in the 2010/11 ashes series down under. What hurts my heart is that when I see teams like Australia, England, India & South Africa perform consistently, very often I wonder why the West Indies cannot take a page out of these teams book & start turning the tables around. I hope that the Windies will learn someday.

Posted by keblerelf92 on (May 17, 2010, 1:17 GMT)

This victory along with the tri-series in 2006/7 proves that Collingwood is England's greatest one day player... ever

Posted by NYcricketfan on (May 16, 2010, 23:43 GMT)

English team totally deserved this victory...nothing against the England team, but harrdly ever has an english team been able to follow up on their success, so I don't really believe they will go on to win 2011 ODI world cup. I am just glad that they defeated a bunch of arrogant aussie brats. Michaeal Clarke should step down as captain, he is just not a T20 player. Haddin or Watson should take up the job.

Posted by   on (May 16, 2010, 23:25 GMT)

"We're not going to get carried away..." what rubbish. For goodness sake you guys won a world cup against the best limited overs team for the last decade, it should be something to really celebrate, give the guys an open top bus. 2005 was something worth celebrating, so was 2009 and so was this, stop being so modest, it's getting annoying. Also congrats.

Posted by CricketRealist77 on (May 16, 2010, 22:51 GMT)

Congratulations England!!! but i do not feel sorry for Australia here - ECB have worked out the perfect formula hire South Africans. I feel sorry for South African cricket they are the real victims here :(

Posted by   on (May 16, 2010, 22:44 GMT)

English team has really played in a different manner with the killing spirit in this championship. This is a well deserved and rightfully earned victory for England inspite of the fact in tact that Aussies were psychologically dominating their opponents. Specifically, it is to be stated that Peiterson, Sidebottom, Broad and Kieswetter were the pick of the series. They have really pulled English to their first major victory in limited overs game. England was known to outclass limited cricket in their cards, but now they have really come up to limited overs cricket and prove their supremacy besides the lost crown of test cricket. Collingwood has added a silky feather in his cap by leading the English team in this WC.

Andrew McGlashanClose
Andrew McGlashan Assistant Editor Andrew arrived at ESPNcricinfo via Manchester and Cape Town, after finding the assistant editor at a weak moment as he watched England's batting collapse in the Newlands Test. Andrew began his cricket writing as a freelance covering Lancashire during 2004 when they were relegated in the County Championship. In fact, they were top of the table when he began reporting on them but things went dramatically downhill. He likes to let people know that he is a supporter of county cricket, a fact his colleagues will testify to and bemoan in equal quantities.
Tournament Results
Australia v England at Bridgetown - May 16, 2010
England won by 7 wickets (with 18 balls remaining)
Australia v Pakistan at Gros Islet - May 14, 2010
Australia won by 3 wickets (with 1 ball remaining)
England v Sri Lanka at Gros Islet - May 13, 2010
England won by 7 wickets (with 24 balls remaining)
West Indies v Australia at Gros Islet - May 11, 2010
Australia won by 6 wickets (with 22 balls remaining)
India v Sri Lanka at Gros Islet - May 11, 2010
Sri Lanka won by 5 wickets (with 0 balls remaining)
More results »