Updated 28-Aug-2025 • Published 06-Aug-2025

The Hundred 2025 news: Zampa replaces Rashid at Invincibles

Overview

  • Track the latest news and updates from the 2025 season of the Hundred
  • For fixtures and results, click here (men's) or here (women's)
  • Follow live ball-by-ball text commentary of every game on ESPNcricinfo

Zampa replaces Rashid at Invincibles

Adam Zampa, the Australia legspinner, has returned to Oval Invincibles in place of Rashid Khan, who is away on international duty with Afghanistan, and will slot into their squad for the final at Lord's on Sunday.
Zampa, 33, has featured for Invincibles in each of their last two title-winning campaigns, and played a key role in 2024 with 19 wickets at 11.57 in nine matches.
His return for this campaign will be a one-off, with Invincibles already guaranteed to feature in their third consecutive final after finishing top of the group stage with 24 points from eight games.
His availability had been complicated by his involvement in Australia's white-ball series against South Africa, which concluded on Sunday. However, speaking on Sky Sports during Invincibles' final group match, head coach Tom Moody had indicated that a deal was all but done.
"Ideally we want Zamps," Moody said. "We just are working through that. He is keen to come back. He is familiar with this group and Surrey as well, having played in the Blast."
2

Trent Rockets forced into wicketkeeper change by Hundred rules

Trent Rockets were forced into drafting Leicestershire wicketkeeper Ben Cox as a replacement for Adam Hose after being stumped by The Hundred regulations which meant they had to part ways with Nottinghamshire keeper-batter Tom Moores.
Moores had initially joined Rockets as an emergency wicketkeeper replacement after Tom Alsop was ruled out following a sickening blow on the nose against London Spirit. Moores put in a match-winning cameo of 55 in his first appearance, the same match in which Hose suffered a horrific ankle injury.
Hose was eventually ruled out of the competition, at which point Rockets sought to keep Moores officially as his replacement, having made four appearances already. Alsop subsequently decided to withdraw from the competition to continue his mental recovery from the blow he sustained.
However, Rockets were prohibited by the ECB from keeping Moores because he had already served as Alsop’s emergency replacement. The club requested a regulation change to allow Moores to remain but were rebuffed with the organise unwilling to make an amendment to the rules mid-competition.
That meant another player had to be called up, which ended up being Cox. The 33-year-old, on Hundred debut, took Rockets over the line against Birmingham Phoenix with an unbeaten 17 on Wednesday to confirm their runners-up spot in the league table.
“The ECB, in all their wisdom, has decided to ban him from the tournament,” Rockets head coach Andy Flower said of the decision on Moores, whose father, Peter, is part of Rockets coaching staff, and his head coach at Nottinghamshire. “And it’s such a shame, for a young man. And the public are not going to see him again in this tournament. Such a shame.”
As a result, Rockets’ squad is now a man light. It remains to be seen whether they will fill their 16th spot between now and Saturday’s Eliminator at the Kia Oval against Northern Superchargers. Should the match fall victim to the rain forecast, Rockets will progress to contest Sunday’s Final against Oval Invincibles having finished second in the table.

Samit Patel gets Hundred lifeline

Samit Patel has won a surprise call-up to the Hundred at the age of 40, two years after his most recent appearance in the tournament.
A Hundred winner with Trent Rockets in 2022, Patel has signed a short-term deal to replace Mitchell Santner at Northern Superchargers. Santner took 0 for 28 in their convincing win at Lord's on Wednesday night, but has been ruled out through an unspecified injury.
4
1
1
6

Sodhi in, Noor out

Manchester Originals have signed New Zealand's Ish Sodhi for their final two group games. Sodhi, one of three men with 150 T20 international wickets, will make his debut against Birmingham Phoenix on Saturday - by which time the Originals' play-off hopes could be mathematically over.
He replaces Noor Ahmad, the Afghan wristspinner, who has joined up with the Afghanistan squad for their upcoming tri-series in the UAE. Noor, a £200,000 signing in the draft, took two wickets on his Originals debut against Southern Brave but has only managed two more in their next five matches.
Rashid Khan is also expected to miss the final stages of the Hundred for the same tri-series, though Oval Invincibles are yet to confirm details of his departure date.
1
1

Ryana MacDonald-Gay ruled out with back injury

Ryana MacDonald-Gay, the Oval Invincibles seam bowler, will miss the remainder of the Hundred with a back stress injury.
The 20-year-old MacDonald-Gay has missed the past two Invincibles fixtures and scans have revealed a low-level lumbar spine bone stress injury. She made the last of her five England appearances to date during the Ashes Test in February.
Somerset’s Ellie Anderson will join the Invincibles squad as a replacement.
1
6

Meg Austin replaces Millie Taylor at Phoenix

Millie Taylor, Birmingham Phoenix's left-arm wristspinner, has been ruled out of the rest of the Hundred after sustaining a finger injury during the game against Northern Superchargers last Friday.
Taylor was struck on the hand while attempting to field off her own bowling during defeat to Superchargers, and subsequently missed the game against London Spirit.
She will be replaced in the Phoenix squad by Meg Austin, Taylor's Bears Women team-mate. Austin, an opening batter, plays under Phoenix coach Ali Maiden at Bears and was part of the side that reached the final of the Women's T20 Blast earlier this season.
1

Georgia Wareham, Rocky Flintoff out with injury

Northern Superchargers have made two injury-enforced changes to their squads. Georgia Wareham, the Australia allrounder, has been replaced by compatriot Nicola Carey, while Matthew Revis comes in for Rocky Flintoff.
Wareham suffered a groin strain before Superchargers' game against Trent Rockets on Sunday. Cricket Australia said in a release said that she would return home to continue her rehabilitation but was expected to be available for 50-over World Cup selection.
The legspinner had played a key role for Superchargers, winning the Player of the Match award in their season opener and helping them to two wins from two.
Flintoff had not featured in the men's competition and has now been ruled out with an unspecified injury. Yorkshire allrounder Revis joined up with the squad ahead of Friday's home game against Birmingham Phoenix. He did not feature heavily in this year's Blast but has been in good form in the County Championship and One-Day Cup, scoring 85 and taking 2 for 30 against Somerset on Thursday.
2
1

Moores added to Rockets squad

Trent Rockets have been given dispensation to bring in Tom Moores as a temporary replacement after seeing the two wicketkeepers in their original 15 go down with injury. Moores, who has been in good form for Nottinghamshire in the One-Day Cup, goes straight into their XI for the home game against Southern Brave.
Rockets began the season with Tom Banton behind the stumps, but he experienced a groin/hip problem in their second game. Tom Alsop took over the gloves for the trip to London Spirit, but suffered a head injury while batting when a short ball from Jamie Overton lodged between the grille and peak of his helmet.
Moores played for Rockets in the first two editions of the Hundred, helping them to lift the title in 2022. He batted eight times in the competition, with a top score of 19 and strike rate of 121.53.
3
1

Livingstone: Curran called me a 'fat slob'

Liam Livingstone exchanged words with Tom Curran throughout his match-winning 69 not out off 27 balls on Tuesday night and claimed that a jibe about his weight fired him up.
“I don’t know why Tom [Curran] decided to spray me when he got Jacob [Bethell] out. I’ve no idea why. He’s one of my good friends. I’ve played Lions cricket with him for so long,” Livingstone told the BBC.
“He called me a ‘fat slob’ or something, so I thought, ‘Let’s hope you don’t go for a few coming back to bowl at the death,’ and he did – so [I am] kind of happy with that.”
Livingstone hit 21 runs off the nine balls he faced from Curran – including a flurry of four, six, six which took the requirement from 22 off 10 balls to six off seven – and walked off unbeaten in Birmingham Phoenix’s first win of the season.
10
10
15
10

Duffy replaces Amir at Superchargers

Northern Superchargers have brought in New Zealand seamer Jacob Duffy for the rest of their campaign as a replacement for Mohammad Amir, who has departed for the CPL.
Duffy, 31, is currently ranked the ICC's No. 1 men's T20I bowler. He has been playing county cricket this summer for Worcestershire, but was most-recently in action on New Zealand's tour of Zimbabwe, where he took six wickets in four T20Is and also made his Test debut.
Amir, who was himself a late replacement for Ben Dwarshuis, played in both of Superchargers' opening games, taking one wicket at a cost of 48 runs. He is set to be involved with Trinbago Knight Riders, with the CPL starting on Thursday.
3
3

Henry replaces Woakes

Matt Henry will return to Welsh Fire for a third season after signing as a replacement for the injured Chris Woakes.
Woakes, who was due to join the Fire on a £200,000 deal, has been ruled out after damaging his shoulder during England's fifth Test against India at The Oval, and Henry will link up from August 13 after New Zealand's tour to Zimbabwe.
Henry played two games for the Fire in 2023 and six more last year, and was recently in action for Somerset, taking 16 wickets in 10 T20 Blast appearances.
He will be the fourth men's overseas player in the Fire squad - along with Steven Smith, Chris Green and Riley Meredith - with only three permitted to play in a single XI.
3
7
2
5

Carse out for full season

Brydon Carse has pulled out of the Hundred to manage his workload after bowling 155 overs in England's Test series against India. Carse had a contract worth £78,500 with Northern Superchargers but has been pulled out by England's medical staff.
“At the end of a long series against India and following consultation with the medical staff, I am sadly not able to play for Northern Superchargers in The Hundred this year," Carse said. "I look forward to watching on from the sidelines and to representing the team again in the future.”
Carse will be replaced at the Superchargers by Lancashire fast bowler Mitchell Stanley, who took a single wicket in three T20 Blast appearances this season but has impressed Andrew Flintoff in the England Lions set-up.
1
1
1
4

Can Phoenix rise from Bears blueprint?

Ellyse Perry says Birmingham Phoenix will be approaching the new women's Hundred season with "very much a clean slate" as they look to make significant improvement on last year's seventh-place finish and reach the knockouts for the first time since the competition began in 2021.
Perry is back for a third campaign in Phoenix orange, and second as captain, but there have been extensive changes throughout the set-up at Edgbaston, with a new head coach - Ali Maiden replacing Ben Sawyer - and significant turnover among the playing group.

ECB ditches controversial balls

The ECB has ditched a controversial batch of white Kookaburra balls that was blamed for low scores in the Hundred last year after consistent negative feedback from players.
Scoring rates in the men's Hundred dipped to 1.37 runs per ball last season, significantly lower than other short-form leagues like the IPL, Major League Cricket and SA20 despite the shorter format in theory lending itself to more attacking batting.
Specialist new-ball bowlers like Daniel Worrall and Tim Southee thrived, and players anecdotally blamed the batch of balls used.
2
1