- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Srinath053000.00b Srinath20811263024.69c Rathour b Ganguly361101695032.72b Srinath8917823810050.00c Srinath b Ganguly19100011.11b Prasad1230050.00c Tendulkar b Prasad12426137113047.50c †Mongia b Prasad311181543026.27c †Mongia b Prasad02423000.00c Tendulkar b Prasad4891050.00not out035000.00Extras38 (b 13, lb 11, nb 14)TOTAL344 all out (130.3 Overs, RR: 2.63)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (Mike Atherton), 2-67 (Alec Stewart), 3-98 (Nasser Hussain), 4-102 (Graeme Hick), 5-107 (Ronnie Irani), 6-243 (Graham Thorpe), 7-326 (Chris Lewis), 8-337 (Dominic Cork), 9-343 (Peter Martin), 10-344 (Jack Russell)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Hussain b Cork1532482046.87lbw b Lewis24951223025.26b Mullally13130143520043.52b Lewis3159815052.54c †Russell b Mullally1634532047.05b Irani1055941018.18c †Russell b Lewis952673636035.58lbw b Martin14801141017.50b Mullally1947622040.42not out1542732035.71c Stewart b Cork416170025.00Extras55 (b 11, lb 25, nb 9, w 10)TOTAL429 all out (169.3 Overs, RR: 2.53)Fall of wickets: 1-25 (Vikram Rathour), 2-59 (Nayan Mongia), 3-123 (Sachin Tendulkar), 4-154 (Mohammad Azharuddin), 5-202 (Ajay Jadeja), 6-296 (Sourav Ganguly), 7-351 (Anil Kumble), 8-388 (Javagal Srinath), 9-419 (Rahul Dravid), 10-429 (Venkatesh Prasad)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Kumble1751742033.33b Srinath661361928048.52c Dravid b Srinath2869953040.57c Rathour b Prasad23971233023.71c Rathour b Kumble2149553042.85c †Mongia b Prasad624351025.00b Mhambrey411001383041.00lbw b Ganguly381371982027.73not out2661822042.62c Azharuddin b Kumble1260050.00not out069000.00Extras11 (b 1, lb 5, nb 5)TOTAL278/9d (121 Overs, RR: 2.29)Fall of wickets: 1-49 (Mike Atherton), 2-109 (Nasser Hussain), 3-114 (Alec Stewart), 4-154 (Graham Thorpe), 5-167 (Graeme Hick), 6-168 (Peter Martin), 7-228 (Ronnie Irani), 8-274 (Jack Russell), 9-275 (Dominic Cork)
India , elected to field first
Player Of The Match
England led the 3-match series 1-0
20,21,22,23,24 June 1996 (5-day match)
- Thu, 20 Jun - day 1 - England 1st innings 238/5 (GP Thorpe 85*, RC Russell 69*)
- Fri, 21 Jun - day 2 - India 1st innings 83/2 (SC Ganguly 26*, SR Tendulkar 16*)
- Sat, 22 Jun - day 3 - India 1st innings 324/6 (R Dravid 56*, A Kumble 6*)
- Sun, 23 Jun - day 4 - England 2nd innings 113/2 (AJ Stewart 65*, PJ Martin 1*)
- Mon, 24 Jun - day 5 - England 2nd innings 278/9d (121 ov) - end of match
- England declared at 5:20, and the match was declared a draw.
- Third new ball taken at the beginning of 165th over, by Lewis.
- Dravid gets out on 90s in his debut innings, 25th player to do so.
- Tendulkar was dropped by Hick at second slip off the bowling of Lewis on the last ball of the very first over by Lewis in the morning.
- New ball taken on the 2nd ball of 84th over, bowled by Cork.
- Ganguly scores a century on debut 10th Indian player to score a century in his debut test, 7th Indian player to score a century in his debut innings 61st player (all countries) to score a century in debut test.
- Bad light stops the play when 4.5 overs were yet to be bowled.
- Russell scores his second century (after a gap of 7 years)
- Prasad picks up his maiden 5-wicket innings haul
- Tea taken immediately after the end of England innings
- 39 overs minimum to be bowled in the Indian innings
- Start of the match was delayed by 30 minutes.
- Ganguly takes a wicket off the 7th ball he bowled.
- Bad light ended the play when 10 more overs needed to be bowled.
- Last test match for Umpire HD Bird