Matches (22)
IND v ENG (1)
PSL 2024 (2)
CWC Play-off (6)
WI 4-Day (4)
Ranji Trophy (4)
NZ v AUS (1)
WCL 2 (1)
BPL 2024 (2)
WPL (1)
Match reports

Australia v England 1882-83

The first match having resulted in a win for the Australian eleven by nine wickets, and the second in a victory for the Englishmen by an innings and 27 runs, the third contest was invested with extraordinary interest, and on the opening day the

The first match having resulted in a win for the Australian eleven by nine wickets, and the second in a victory for the Englishmen by an innings and 27 runs, the third contest was invested with extraordinary interest, and on the opening day the attendance was the largest ever witnessed on the Moore Park ground, it being computed that from 20,000 to 23,000 spectators were present.
The Hon. Ivo Bligh again beat Murdoch in the toss, and again decided his team should have first innings, Barlow and C. T. Studd, by excellent cricket, carried the total to 41, when the latter was finely caught at the wicket. Leslie came in, but with three runs added, was clean bowled by a fast 'yorker,' making room for Steel. From the last ball bowled before luncheon Barlow was well caught, the total then standing at 67. Upon resuming Steel was then bowled without adding to his score, and four wickets were down for 68 runs. At 76 Barnes was caught at the wicket, and then Read and Tylecote offered so prolonged a resistance that 115 runs were put on before the latter was run out. Tylecote's 66 was the highest score he made during the tour, and is described as, "a most brilliant display of safe all-round hitting, without giving a possible chance to anyone in the field." Bates partnered Read, and the total was quickly hit up to 223, when an easy catch at square-leg got rid of the Reigate amateur for a "fine, vigorour, all-round display." Bates was caught at 224; the Egnlish captain clean bowled at 244; and a good ball from Palmer dismissed G. B. Studd and brought the innings to a conclusion for 247. On a fresh wicket the home team scored 8 runs without losing a wicket, and then stumps were drawn for the day.
Showers fell during Friday night, and on Saturday the wicket was a trifle dead and the sky cloudy and threatening more rain. These circumstances however, apparently in no way militated against the success of the overnight not outs - Bannerman and Giffen, who ran up the capital total of 76 for the first wicket, the latter being the first to leave, directly after luncheon, after a good innings of 41. Murdoch succeeded Giffen, and when he had been badly missed by Leslie when he had scored five, and Bannerman had had a life at the hands of Morley when he had made 39, the two batsmen brought up the 100. Then rain caused a cessation of play from 3.15 to 5.15. On the sloppy wicket 33 more runs were scored in three-quarters of an hour, during which time Bannerman was again missed, this time by Barnes. At the call of time 133 runs were totalled for the loss of only one wicket, Bannerman being not out, 68, and Murdoch, not out, 17.
During Saturday night and Sunday, rain fell heavily with but little intermission, and when the game was continued at 11.25 on the Monday the ground was exceedingly dead and heavy. With seven runs added to the overnight score Murdoch was out leg before wicket, and McDonnell, who succeeded him, clean bowled at the same total. Bannerman and Horan put on 36 runs, and then the former was caught off Morley when within six of a century. Despite the chances he gave his 94 was a grand innings, his off-driving and cutting being frequently brilliant. Massie filled the vacancy, but was caught at point without increasing the score. Bonnor followed, but was splendidly caught before he had scored a run, and six wickets were down for 178. Blackham and Horan added 18 to the scxore when the latter fell to a one-handed catch at mid-off, and Garrett, who came after him was caught in the slips before the total had been increased. Palmer stayed with Blackham while 22 runs were added, and was then caught, and the innings terminated.
When the wicket used by the visitors had been rolled C. T. Studd and Leslie commenced the second innings. Leslie was clean bowled at 13, but Barlow helped C. T. Studd to take the score to 45, when the latter shared the fate of Leslie for a freely-hit 25. Steel was lbw at 55, but Barlow and Read brought the total to 87. Then Read was bowled for 21, having given a possible chance early in his innings. At 94 Barlow was sent back for a carefully-compiled 24, and at the same total Barnes was lbw. Tylecote was caught at 97 and Bates at 98, and when 115 had been reached G. B. Studd was out in a like manner. Morley kept his wicket up for a time but was eventually bowled without scoring, and the innings closed for 153, the English captain carrying his bat for 17. Murdoch's team was set the task of scoring 123 to win, and in the little time left for play before stumps were drawn for the day Morley bowled four overs and Barlow three, without a run being scored or a wicket lost.
At 11.10 on the Tuesday the game was resumed in splendid weather. Giffen was clean bowled at 11, and Bannerman, the other overnight not-out, caught at point at 12. Murdoch was caught at 18, and without any runs being added, McDonnell fell to a splendid catch at point. Horan was run out at 30 and Massie was caught at 33. Blackham hit with great vigour. He lost the company of Bonnor - clean bowled - at 59, and Spofforth - caught - at 72, and then played a ball onto his wicket at 80. Garrett, the last man, came in, and when two leg-byes and a wide had been scored, Barlow bowled him, and the innings terminated for 83, the Englishmen thus winning the match by 69 runs.