Banned threesome to play departmental cricket (28 August 1999)
The three suspended Pakistan Test stars will represent their respective departments in the forthcoming 1999-2000 domestic cricket season
28-Aug-1999
28 August 1999
Banned threesome to play departmental cricket
Farhan Anis
The three suspended Pakistan Test stars will represent their
respective departments in the forthcoming 1999-2000 domestic cricket
season. Habib Bank have included Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmad in their
25 man provisional squad while Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)
have retained their captain Wasim Akram.
The three are set to be seen in action in the National One-day
Championship starting from Sept 20. They will also be eligible for
selection in the Quaid-I-Azam Trophy scheduled to start in October.
The officials of the two departments, requesting not to be identified,
argued that they picked the three players because the cricket
administrators did not inform them about their suspension at domestic
level also. They added that they had also withheld their teams until
the last date of the deadline (Aug 25) after being informed that the
decision about their suspension would be communicated to them.
"We were told that the decision by the judicial commission would be
announced before Aug 25. But when the decision didn't come not we
received anything from adhoc committee, we decided to include their
names," they said.
The department organizers observed that as far as they thought, the
suspension was temporary. They added that if they were exonerated,
they would become eligible for selection while in the other case they
would be banned for life.
"If we had not picked them and the players had been acquited, we would
then have to pay Rs.10,000 for their registration. Now we have
included them with an understanding with the Domestic Tournament
Monitoring Committee (DTMC) that if the three players are banned for
life, we would be allowed replacements without depositing any
registration fee," they said.
In 1994-95, the then ad hoc committee of Javed Burki suspended Salim
Malik for seven months. During that period, he, along with Ijaz Ahmed,
was not allowed to play for Habib Bank in the Patron's Trophy match at
Sahiwal despite the fact that the two players had travelled all the
way from Lahore to participate in that match and the bank had nothing
in writing regarding the future of the two players.
The chairman of the PCB ad hoc committee Mujeeb-ur-Rehman said from
Islamabad that it has not been decided yet whether the three players
would be allowed to participate in the domestic circuit. He said there
was a possibility that the situation would be clear before Sept 20
"But if it doesn't, then we will cross the bridge when it comes"
indicating that the final decision regarding their appearance would be
taken around Sept 17, if the judicial commission doesn't announce its
decision. He, however, minced no words in saying that if the judicial
named any of the players involved in foul-play "they would not only be
banned from international cricket but also from domestic circuit".
Source :: CricInfo365