Judicial probe extended: Justice Qayyum sets hearing for Aug 23 (17 August 1999)
Karachi, Aug 16: The Federal government has given the judicial commission investigating betting and match-fixing in cricket an extension until Sept 30, officials said on Monday from Lahore
17-Aug-1999
17 August 1999
Judicial probe extended: Justice Qayyum sets hearing for Aug 23
The Dawn
Karachi, Aug 16: The Federal government has given the judicial
commission investigating betting and match-fixing in cricket an
extension until Sept 30, officials said on Monday from Lahore.
Lahore High Court Registrar Abdus Salam Khawar told Dawn that the
commission has been informed of the decision.
Besides the letter of extension, the federal government has also
requested Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum to include the World Cup in
his investigations.
"According to the commission of inquiry act, the one-man committee
has been given an extension until Sept 30. But that doesn't mean that
it has been given a deadline to submit its findings. The report can
be submitted earlier," Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal advisor Ali
Sibtain Fazli said.
For the commission, that was constituted by the federal government
last September on the request of the PCB, it will be its fourth
extension.
Abdus Salam Khawar added that he has written to Accountability Cell
to submit its report which it has finalized after conducting its
independent inquiry into the World Cup.
"Previously we asked the Accountability Cell to provide us the
material which it gathered. Now since it has submitted its report to
President Rafiq Tarar and the PCB, we have asked them to make
available that report," the LHC Registrar stated.
The chairman of PCB's ad hoc committee Mujeeb-ur-Rehman admitted from
Islamabad that he has received a report from the Accountability Cell.
He also confirmed that a copy of the report has been sent to
President Tarar.
"I am sure the judicial commission will get the report by the end of
this week," he remarked.
Salam Khawar revealed that the commission has set its first hearing
after five-week break on Aug 23. He, however, said the list of people
to be summoned will be finalized on Tuesday.
Nevertheless, he warned that the commission wouldn't hesitate to
issue warrant of arrests against those who didn't appear before
Justice Qayyum.
He said since Justice Qayyum wants to complete the report before Sept
30, he wouldn't tolerate any excuses which certain individuals have
been giving in the past.
"We issued warrant of arrests against four former players last
September and will do it again. Every individual summoned will have
to appear before the honourable judge," he warned.
Salam Khawar said unlike the past where there was a week's
adjournment, the court will now have short adjournments. He said all
efforts will be made to complete the assignment by Sept 30 but minced
no words in saying that since the World Cup has to be included, the
report might be delayed.
"Since we will have to gather fresh evidence, examine the people
again etc, it can take its own time. But the comfortable cushion we
have is that only World Cup has to be probed. The investigations upto
April's Sharjah Cup are almost complete and the only missing factor
was the cross-examination," Salam Khawar stated.
He said Wasim Akram and Mushtaq Ahmad have already requested the
judicial commission to be awarded an opportunity to cross-examine
their accusers - Salim Pervaiz and Javed Miandad - respectively.
He, however, said Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmad, the other main accused
in the scenario, have not made any requests to Justice Qayyum. "The
copy of statements was delivered to both of them three months ago.
But neither of the two has so far come forward with the request of
cross-examination," he said.
The LHC Registrar revealed that Justice Qayyum would be certainly
calling Javed Miandad "as he was interested to know what were the
backgrounds which forced the former captain to resign as team coach
on the eve of departure for World Cup.
He (Javed Miandad) will be one of the key elements in this
investigation."
Salam Khawar also said that former captain Asif Iqbal and Sarfaraz
Nawaz would also be summoned. He said Asif Iqbal's name has come in
the investigations while Sarfaraz has levelled fresh allegations.
Source :: The Dawn (www.dawn.com)