Australia news

Katich reprimanded over Clarke comments

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 5, 2011

Simon Katich speaks at a press conference, Sydney, June 10, 2011
Simon Katich was given an official reprimand by Cricket Australia © Getty Images

Simon Katich is looking forward to putting his disciplinary hearing behind him after he escaped suspension from Cricket Australia for cutting comments he made about Michael Clarke in October. Katich pleaded guilty at a CA Code of Behaviour hearing, chaired by retired county court judge Gordon Lewis in Melbourne on Monday, and was handed an official reprimand.

"It's not something you want to go through but I'm glad it's out of the way now and very grateful for Commissioner Lewis' findings," Katich said on SEN radio after the hearing.

"Obviously I said things for a reason. At the time I was still coming to terms with the mixed messages I'd been receiving over the previous few months from the chairman of selectors and from other people involved in the team. From that point of view I said what I said, but at the end of the day now I just want to move forward and play some good cricket for New South Wales and put this behind me."

The hearing was delayed from its original date of November 21 due to scheduling conflicts, after Katich was charged by Cricket Australia for his comments on October 28, when he suggested that his dressing-room stoush with Clarke in 2009 had contributed to his axing from Australia's side. After scoring a Sheffield Shield hundred, Katich was asked whether the appointment of a new chairman of selectors, John Inverarity, would help his cause in winning a recall.

"It's pleasing to hear but I think you don't have to be Einstein to figure out that it's not just the selectors that had a part in sending me on my way," Katich said at the time. "I mean to be brutally honest obviously what happened in the dressing room here a few years ago didn't help my cause. And obviously the captain and coach are selectors.

"Just because he [Inverarity] is going to be chairman of selectors or whatever role it is I wouldn't have thought that'd make too much difference."

When asked if he could expect to play for Australia again while Clarke remained captain, Katich said: "I wouldn't have thought so. That's probably why I'm in this position in the first place."

In the dressing rooms after the 2009 Sydney Test, Katich grabbed the then vice-captain Clarke by the throat after an argument over when the team song would be sung. After Monday's hearing, Katich softened his tone when asked about his relationship with Clarke.

"We were able to play cricket for a good couple of years there in the same team without it causing any problems, so from my point of view I didn't see any dramas in that respect," Katich said. "I guess I have just been searching for answers as to why I wasn't in the team, given that I felt I'd been performing to a reasonable standard over the last three years."

Katich was set to fly back to Canberra on Monday evening to play in the Sheffield Shield match between New South Wales and Tasmania at Manuka Oval, starting on Tuesday.

Posted by PACERONE on (December 6, 2011, 17:14 GMT)

There are only a few batsmen who can play against good tight bowling and survive. Watson seems to make runs...but only after he has been given early lives.Dravid,Chanderpaul,laxman and Katich seems to me to be the toughest batsmen to get out.Every team needs one of these guys.India are lucky to have two.

Posted by bobmartin on (December 6, 2011, 10:44 GMT)

@dms1972... Surely the criteria should be that you're only too old for test cricket when you're not good enough for test cricket..

Posted by dms1972 on (December 6, 2011, 6:50 GMT)

You have to remember that Katich wasn't thrown out of the Test team; he got injured and then didn't have his contract renewed. Yes, the decision not to renew his contract may have been harsh, but he was injured and, in their wisdom, the selectors decided that it was a prime opportunity to introduce younger players. As it is, there are 3 players 34 or older in the team. If Hussey, Haddin or Ponting get injured now, I'd say their International careers would be over as well. Just like Mitchell Johnson will find it hard to get back. The same happened to Brett Lee. He got injured and wasn't able to get back into the Test team, so he retired from Test cricket.

Posted by   on (December 6, 2011, 2:14 GMT)

katich is far better than ponting , clark & hussy very unfair to so much talented cricketer .

Posted by   on (December 6, 2011, 2:02 GMT)

Katich should of been opening in the NZ test with Warner. Hughes is really on borrowed time. He gets in and gets out. His technique is not good enough for consistant test cricket. Australian selectors need to realise that Hughes needs to go back to state cricket and really work on his technique and score runs as he is not scoring consistantly enough at the moment.

My batting line up would be not taking into account 8 to 11 in the order would be ...

Katich Warner Kawaja Ponting Clarke Hussey Haddin(Wkt)

It may sound very smug but its nice to see my commented view of putting Clarke at 5 is working well for aus and clarke.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 23:25 GMT)

As an Indian fan, I am glad Katich is not in the team. Hughes is way easier to manage as an opponent.

Posted by FlashAsh on (December 5, 2011, 23:05 GMT)

As an Eng fan the shame is not seeing Katich watch as his inexperienced teammates crumble around him and watch his fighting 50/100 runs!

CA need his experience for a little longer yet, Him Punter and Hussie will only last so long and the replacements for them all need as much experience as they can from batsmen who can tough it out! Clarke may be good, but he will still hasn't proven consistently enough he can "tough it out"

Katich was right to speak out about the selection issues etc and not be smothered by CA. Otherwise CA is no better than WI, BCCI PCB etc who have little selectorial transparency!

Good luck Katich!

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 22:40 GMT)

What a joke, CA are ridiculous.

Posted by bobmartin on (December 5, 2011, 19:14 GMT)

Katich may have escaped suspension... but the big question is, will he ever be selected again. If not it may well turn out to be a pyrrhic victory. I hope the selectors see sense, because from this England supporter's point of view, he is a far better batsman than some others in the side, who appear to be living a charmed life in selectorial terms.

Posted by AUSOME_AWESIE on (December 5, 2011, 17:06 GMT)

oh plz come on Cricket Australia don go the WICB way 2 banish one of the best openers in the country( atleast right now) esply since we got a walking wicket opener in Hughes ....

Posted by Tumbarumbar on (December 5, 2011, 12:21 GMT)

Okay let me get this right Cricket Australia sack Katich for reasons they refuse to explain because if they say 'age' he could have them in court so fast their eyes would spin yet after sacking him they feel they can reprimand him? Don't Cricket NSW employ him? I understand that the shield is run under the auspices of CA but like Katich I'd love to see the written reasons for his dismissal.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 12:00 GMT)

@Dashgar Pleading not guilty would prolong things and be stupid seeing as it's all on public record - by pleading guilty Katich IS getting things over with, and given his last FC scores were 125 and 2/46 in a 6 wicket win I'd say he's doing well with his game, too.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 11:49 GMT)

It's funny how nations take to some sports people and not others. It's quite intangible. Players like Hussey & Katich garnered a lot of respect from the get go. Unfortunately Clarke seems lumbered with the Lleyton Hewitt syndrome. We know he's brilliant, we just don't know if he's any good.

Posted by muski on (December 5, 2011, 11:48 GMT)

All Cricket boards seem to be filled with guys who have larger than life egos. Katich's career is down and out. Gayle's is on the rocks, SLCB seem to have bosses who are one up on the BCCI guys. The less said about the PCB guys the better. When the game is going thru an identity crisis, these guys at the helm are fast forwarding the demise.

Posted by Impactzone on (December 5, 2011, 10:40 GMT)

Reprimand was not for speaking the truth....just for speaking out. Go Figure.

Posted by RandyOZ on (December 5, 2011, 9:40 GMT)

Bad luck Simmo, hopefully you can cart the Indians around when they arrive.

Posted by NishuB on (December 5, 2011, 9:23 GMT)

And u would've thought Aussies thrive on saying as it is...I live here

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (December 5, 2011, 9:17 GMT)

Katich at 36 was nearing the end of his career, and after the ashes drubbing, and with the Injury he sustained it was always unlikely hed be recalled as the epmhasis should be on youth. Granted Hughes isnt a quality test player, but hes still doing putting in a performance 1 in 6-8 innings, I suspect that Warner or Marsh may take over from Hughes.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 9:07 GMT)

Right. So is Katich playing in the 2nd test? I sure hope Hughes isn't.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 7:40 GMT)

I am liking this guy. Such a straight shooter. Hope he doesn't get alienated after his playing days are over. He's been smart in treading a very fine line so far.

Posted by Dashgar on (December 5, 2011, 7:18 GMT)

Gee Katich, you spend all this time saying how you've been hard done by and then you prove guilty. Maybe you should just keep your mouth shut and try to help NSW win a game or two.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 7:17 GMT)

You have to feel for poor Katich. Not only has he been thrown out of the Australian team without justification, now he's reprimanded for speaking out against it. Reminiscent of what could happen to you if you spoke ill of the leader of a certain non-cricketing nation of the 1930s an not something you'd associate (Cricket) Australia with. It's quite obvious that Katich was thrown out at the behest of Clarke and Clarke is the lesser person for it.

Posted by zenboomerang on (December 5, 2011, 7:08 GMT)

I think everyone knows that it is Clarke that wanted Katich dropped for Hughes... what a joke... Katich should be steering Australia forward... Instead we have Hughes capitulating 3 out of 4 innings & putting Oz in danger of another batting mess... Get rid of Hughes & let the team move forward...

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 7:06 GMT)

Glad he avoided suspension. Gagging players does not strike me as justified. Those who do mouth off my find themselves less frequently selected, but how pathetic to summon him to the headmaster's study like that. Remember how the MCC ostracised Jim Laker for his autobiography. The Americans got things right with the First Amendment.

Posted by TEST_CRICKET_ONLY on (December 5, 2011, 6:50 GMT)

This situation is absolutely ridiculous, but then its Cricket Australia, so what else should we expect. Simon Katich is in our best 12 any day of the week, and should be playing. If Clarke doesn't like it, tough, we don't like him either.

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 6:28 GMT)

Cricket Australia, you should be giving Simon Katich an apology, not reprimanding him. After all, it is your total mismanagement that has Australian cricket's ranking so low.

Posted by Chris_P on (December 5, 2011, 6:25 GMT)

The only sensible decision that could have been reached. Too bad we won't see you back in the baggy green, Kat, you were an inspiration. Keep bringing along the youngsters in NSW, I undersand your frustrations., Clarke prefers Hughes to you.

Posted by farkin on (December 5, 2011, 6:24 GMT)

i believe what he said was true and then he gets hauled over the coals for it, but ca will not let you say any thing that is so obvious and get away with it

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 6:11 GMT)

I just wish they get over with whats going on and bring katich back, see Hughes is struggling and the younger folks need the experience of Katich. Australia stop behaving like west indies and keeping your best bestman out of the team (Gayle)

Posted by dsig3 on (December 5, 2011, 6:10 GMT)

What a sordid mess. I hope CA feel better about themselves after this rubbish. What was the point of parading an internal matter infront of other countries and making themselves look like absolute fools.

Posted by Stevo_ on (December 5, 2011, 5:51 GMT)

Could still use you in the Test team Kat, hopefully the selectors wake up to themselves (and don't listen to Clarke). Warner is not a test player

Posted by   on (December 5, 2011, 5:38 GMT)

It was unfair what happened to Katich but, he should of just kept quite and not have gotten angry.

Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd unofficial Test: Australia A v India A at Brisbane - Jul 13-16
Australia A 423 India A 99/3
Australia A v India A at Darwin
Jul 20, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
NPS v Sth Africa A at Palmerston
Jul 20, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Australia A v NPS at Darwin
Jul 22, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Australia A v Sth Africa A at Palmerston
Jul 24, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
NPS v India A at Darwin
Jul 24, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »