England news April 9, 2014

Siddle 'glad' to see back of Pietersen

Peter Siddle, in England to take up a season-long overseas contract with Nottinghamshire, has admitted he is "pretty glad" England have dropped Kevin Pietersen from their side.

Siddle, the Australia seamer, has claimed Pietersen's wicket 10 times in Test cricket, but he still regards him as "a challenging player" to bowl against.

"Personally, I'm pretty glad he's not playing any more," Siddle said. "I always loved bowling against him. He is a challenging player to play against."

But while Siddle remains respectful of Pietersen's talent, he conceded he had enjoyed success against the batsman by playing to his ego in the most recent Ashes series in Australia.

"I did [play to his ego]," Siddle said. "I just bored him. It is the most boring way I've bowled to any player. I knew where he wanted to score and knew how he would do it, so I tried boring him as much as I could and had a lot of success doing it."

Siddle might logically expect to have seen the last of Pietersen in an England shirt, but he does expect Jonathan Trott to return to the international side. Trott left the Ashes tour after the Brisbane Test suffering from burnout but, Siddle backed the batsman to return before too long.

"I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trott came back," Siddle said. "He's a very good player and he has had a lot of success against us. It has always been hard work. I wish him all the best."

While it has become rare for established Test seamers to appear for long stints in county cricket, Siddle is keen to experience life on the county circuit and has been given no restriction on his workload by Cricket Australia.

"It's great opportunity," he said. "I love the country and, after talking to guys like David Hussey and Simon Katich about their experiences of playing county cricket, I knew it was something I wanted to experience.

"I had a chat with David Saker, the England bowling coach, during last summer's Ashes series and he put in a word for me. I didn't talk to any clubs other than Nottinghamshire.

"The IPL has never been a big thing for me and India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be. My goal has always been to play as many Tests as I could and I bowl at my best when I play continuous cricket. By playing for Nottinghamshire, I'll stay match fit."

And with another Ashes series to be played in England in 2015, the experience Siddle will gain of English conditions will also do him no harm.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

• Practical_person on April 15, 2014, 0:30 GMT

If India sometimes is not the place you want to be in, then why did Siddle sign up for the IPL auction in 2012. His statements lacks credibility.

Otherwise I completely agree with him.

• disco_bob on April 12, 2014, 22:06 GMT

Sid was written off years ago but came back like a man possessed. He is hard working, genial and intelligent and with time on his side he has all the ingredients to add a new facet to his bowling. For sure he will be working out his plans for the next Ashes. The ECB have diminished world cricket considerably by offing KP.

• Johnny_129 on April 12, 2014, 1:18 GMT

@ judedcouto on (April 10, 2014, 16:28 GMT) - Lol, I agree! In saying that, Siddle is better off on the county circuit as far as cricket is concerned. The riches of IPL blinds players from developing their cricketing skills.

• Green_and_Gold on April 11, 2014, 10:56 GMT

Take it easy people! Sids didnt say anything bad about KP - in fact he says it as a positive towards him. Basically hes glad he dosent have another high class player to have to get out. Id take that as a compliment. Sids has mostly been a test player - he fits the mould. Hes a work horse of the side, bowling over after over. Best weapon is to bore batsman into false shots. Seeing him bowl in Aus vs a reputable Indian side was great to watch. I suspect he would be slaughtered bowling against sides who are happy to give their wickets away scoring at 8-9 an over. Most bowlers do. I still think England have made a mistake by dropping KP.

• __PK on April 11, 2014, 1:09 GMT

"India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be." Quote of the year!

• Shongololo on April 10, 2014, 23:47 GMT

You've summed it up in a sentence, Ms.Cricket.

• Jagger on April 10, 2014, 23:46 GMT

2jono on (April 10, 2014, 14:15 GMT) - that was at the MCG. India lost that 4 match series 4-0. Whitewashed. Funnily enough, that was a time when we saw the Indian press report T20 was officially a better game than Tests.

• OneEyedAussie on April 10, 2014, 23:43 GMT

It's a strange world - a player who is in the ICC top ten ranked test bowlers having his place in international cricket scrutinised.

• wellrounded87 on April 10, 2014, 23:23 GMT

@Ms. Cricket Siddle has an Ashes hatrick. He will be long intrenched in cricket history for that alone.

But I will concede that KP is a better cricketer than Siddle. But no one anywhere is suggesting otherwise.

• TheBengalTiger on April 10, 2014, 21:59 GMT

Siddle entered the IPL auction in 2012. Hmmm, I thought it had never interested him? Clearly, he wasn't good enough to get a bid, and now he comes out with this bravado trying to mask that fact.

• Practical_person on April 15, 2014, 0:30 GMT

Otherwise I completely agree with him.

• disco_bob on April 12, 2014, 22:06 GMT

• Johnny_129 on April 12, 2014, 1:18 GMT

• Green_and_Gold on April 11, 2014, 10:56 GMT

• __PK on April 11, 2014, 1:09 GMT

"India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be." Quote of the year!

• Shongololo on April 10, 2014, 23:47 GMT

You've summed it up in a sentence, Ms.Cricket.

• Jagger on April 10, 2014, 23:46 GMT

• OneEyedAussie on April 10, 2014, 23:43 GMT

• wellrounded87 on April 10, 2014, 23:23 GMT

• TheBengalTiger on April 10, 2014, 21:59 GMT

• judedcouto on April 10, 2014, 16:28 GMT

Indian Grapes are Sour!!! I dont want them...

• smudgeon on April 10, 2014, 15:38 GMT

viru-319-219...there are a LOT of players who do play in the IPL who I don't think are particularly high quality either. Siddle isn't a T20 player, true, but let's not pretend that the IPL is the apex of quality cricket.

• TheBengalTiger on April 10, 2014, 15:28 GMT

'India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be' . Well, it's good that nobody invited him over then isn't it.

• viru-319-219 on April 10, 2014, 14:25 GMT

'The IPL has never been a big thing for me and India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be' .. first get into Aus limited over squad mate then you can talk about IPL. If somebody asks you about IPL, Just say no team would pick you in IPL and so you are in England to play county cricket.

And guys who say players should not play in IPL .... Would you reject an offer 10 times your earnings? Just accept the truth and back players to improve their lives :)

Siddle .. you are a good test bowler but don't mislead people or yourself with such thinking or comments, just accept the truth you are not good enough to play in IPL.

• 2jono on April 10, 2014, 14:15 GMT

From watching Peter Siddle Bowl at the MCG for Australia i have learn't to never underestimate him ! One example with India playing Australia and Dravid and Tendulker in control for much of the day enjoying a long partnership and incomes Siddle with the last over of the day and suddenly his pace is 150+ for that over and Yep he clean bowls Tendulker who looks shocked at where Siddle got this ! He ain't done yet i suspect .

• Ms.Cricket on April 10, 2014, 9:15 GMT

In 50 years few will remember Siddle but many will remember Peitersen :)

• PrasPunter on April 10, 2014, 8:58 GMT

""The IPL has never been a big thing for me and India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be. My goal has always been to play as many Tests as I could and I bowl at my best when I play continuous cricket." - probably the best i have heard from an international ever !! Brutally honest !! Full marks to you Sidds. !! be the best test player you can ever be for us !!

• Front-Foot-Lunge-Needs-A-Hug on April 10, 2014, 8:53 GMT

@ Front-Foot_lunge, always appreciate your honesty and honest assesments of the English situation. Unfortunately for England there is nothing in the cupboard and they are about to make a decision on the coach that will set them back 5 years at least, if you can be further set back than they already are. Normal service has resumed.

• Harlequin. on April 10, 2014, 7:48 GMT

I have always liked Siddle as a character, a hard worker, slightly eccentric and most importantly, always seems to have a smile on his face during press conferences. At the moment he does fit in well with the Aussie bowling attack, but I wonder how long it will be before the Aussies are tempted to swap him with a younger and more attacking bowler, of which they seem to have plenty.

@dunger.bob - I was thinking the same about his ipl comment! I'm not sure he would make a great T20 player anyway, but it is always nice to see someone choose dedication to a craft/skill over money.

• Coastaltown on April 10, 2014, 7:34 GMT

I've got a lot of time for Siddle, perennially underrated and always reliable. Looking forward to seeing him bowl in the CC.

• dunger.bob on April 10, 2014, 5:16 GMT

Siddle is capable of getting any player out. Despite the weight of common thinking, he does move the around in the air and off the seam. .. Not a lot mind you, it's quite subtle. Still, it's that sort of bowling that can knock back Tendulkars off stump which I've seen him do more than once. He's not yet 30 and his very best bowling days might still be in front of him. Setting up camp in a lovely, cricket savvy country like England can only add to his knowledge of his craft and I think it's it's a very good move for him and Au.

I expect his statement about "India, sometimes, isn't a place you want to be." to cost him in the end. At the very least it should cause some excitement on these boards but I applaud him for his honesty. .. Go Sids, keep up the good work mate.

• kensohatter on April 9, 2014, 22:11 GMT

Australia need to get as many of their players into county cricket as possible this season. They are pretty inactive aside from a couple of tests v pakistan and the ODI world cup (of which many test players are not even a part of). Some experience in English conditions will be very helpful in taking the ashes on english home soil.. As for Sids he may be lucky to retain his place giving the amount of quality fast bowling in aust. his pace is on the decline and he just doesnt do enough through the air or off the deck to be a gamechanger however he is an very good workhorse type bowler which every team needs (especially when you have Johnson bowling short bursts). This english county cricket stintis obviously the best way to keep his foot in the door with other aust players not able to press claims in english conditions. smart thinking. as for KP. Teams around the world are happy this guy is done. He remains englands most dangerous player. Absolute joke

• markatnotts on April 9, 2014, 20:39 GMT

I think Siddle doesn't need to try and do anything differently. Ok he looked down on pace in SA and was dropped for the decider, but I felt given the overs he has bowled the last two years (like Jimmy for us), it was a case of burnout. Let's face it, he is a perfect foil for MJ and Harris. I am so glad he is at Notts, and should be a fountain of knowledge for the team. I was gutted he had to miss the opener against Lance due to inefficient bureaucracy, but apparently he is raring to go for the trip to Lords.

• Front-Foot_lunge on April 9, 2014, 18:35 GMT

As an England fan, what we wouldn't give for a consistently solid performer like Siddle, rather than the '6 and over' Finn (when he plays), the below average Stuart "sub-80mph effort ball' Broad and the Jimmy '28 an over and cant bowl anywhere else but in muggy overcast conditions with a brand new cherry' Anderson .

• BradmanBestEver on April 9, 2014, 17:22 GMT

A very solid performer is Peter Siddle - at the cross-roads career-wise though - needs to pick up the pace and/or start moving the ball more to stay in the test team.

Best of luck Sids

• No featured comments at the moment.

• BradmanBestEver on April 9, 2014, 17:22 GMT

Best of luck Sids

• Front-Foot_lunge on April 9, 2014, 18:35 GMT

• markatnotts on April 9, 2014, 20:39 GMT

• kensohatter on April 9, 2014, 22:11 GMT

• dunger.bob on April 10, 2014, 5:16 GMT

• Coastaltown on April 10, 2014, 7:34 GMT

• Harlequin. on April 10, 2014, 7:48 GMT

• Front-Foot-Lunge-Needs-A-Hug on April 10, 2014, 8:53 GMT

• PrasPunter on April 10, 2014, 8:58 GMT

• Ms.Cricket on April 10, 2014, 9:15 GMT

In 50 years few will remember Siddle but many will remember Peitersen :)