1st Match: India v West Indies, Statistical highlights
- It was the 17th match on this venue (first for
- It was the 61st match between the two sides.The record now
reads : West Indies 39,India 20,tied 1,abandoned 1.
- India recorded its first win over WestIndies in last 10
matches.India had last beaten WestIndies at Port-of-Spain on 27
- It is also India's biggest win over WestIndies (by wickets
margin) after its 10 wicket win at Port-of-Spain on 27 April,
- Daryl Harper and David Orchard were officiating in their 19th
and 46th match respectively.
- Chris Gayle and Corey Collymore (for WestIndies) and Jacob
Martin (for India) were making their ODI debut.Now 97 West Indians
and 124 Indians have played ODI cricket.
- Venkatesh Prasad,when dismissed Courtney Walsh,completed his
150 wickets in his 126th match.He became fifth Indian (after
Kapil Dev-253,Anil Kumble-235,Javagal Srinath-234 and Manoj
Prabhakar-157) and 21st bowler in the world to do so.
- Jacob Martin became only the third Indian to held three
catches in the field on debut after Bishan Bedi (v England at
Leeds on 13 September 1974) and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan (v
Pakistan at Melbourne on 20 February 1985.
- Martin also equalled Indian record of most catches by a
fielder in a match against WestIndies.Manoj Prabhakar had also
held three catches against WestIndies at Sharjah on 22 October
- Ricardo Powell has now scored 262 runs off only 227 balls
(strike rate 115.41) in 6 matches and 5 innings (batting average
65.50) with 22 fours and 15 sixes.Interestingly he has faced more
balls than the runs scored only once (on debut,when he made 4 off
18 balls against Pakistan)
- By conceding only 17 runs in his 10 overs,Nikhil Chopra
recorded the most economical figures by an Indian in a 10 over
spell against WestIndies.The previous record was held by Kapil
Dev (10-3-18-2 at Calcutta on 27 November 1993). Incidentally
Australia's MF Malone (10-5-9-2 at Melbourne on 10 January 1982)
holds the record of most economical figures in a 10 over spell
- Chopra,in fact,just failed to equal Indian record of most
economical 10 over spell against all countries by just one run.
Manoj Prabhakar and Saurav Ganguly had conceded 16 runs in their
10 overs against SriLanka at Sharjah on 08 April 1984 and against
Pakistan at Toronto on 18 September 1997 respectively.
- Courtney Walsh became leading wicket taker for WestIndies
with the wicket of Rahul Dravid.It was his 221st wicket in 197th
match and he surpassed Curtly Ambrose's tally of 220 wickets
- The third wicket unbroken stand of 106 runs between
Sadagoppan Ramesh and Saurav Ganguly was the 24th century stand
in which Ganguly was involved (the break-up : 10 for first,9 for
second, 3 for third and one each for fourth and seventh).Now only
Desmond Haynes (46),Sachin Tendulkar (35),Aravinda DeSilva
(33), Mohammad Azharuddin (33),Viv Richards (32),Gordon Greenidge
(28),Dean Jones (28),Mark Waugh (28),Richie Richardson (26), David
Boon (26) and Javed Miandad (25) have featured in more century
stands than Ganguly,while Geoff Marsh ,Rameez Raja and Arjuna
Ranatunga have also figured in 24 century stands.
- Saurav Ganguly won his 15th MoM award.Toronto seems to be his favourite venue as he has now won six awards here. Quite amazingly he has won all but one awards on foreign soil.
Contributed by: Rajneesh Gupta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.