Ackerman to stay in South Africa
Hylton Ackerman will stay with South African cricket after agreeing to a two-year deal with the United Cricket Board that will see him taking charge of the South African A and under 19 teams,
Ackerman, who is currently in the West Indies with the SA A side, had been approached by Zimbabwe to take charge of their national side. The Zimbabwean move sparked the UCB to life and on Tuesday Ackerman accepted a deal offered by UCB managing director Ali Bacher that also ensures that he remains head coach at the Plascon Academy for the next two years.
"Over the next two years, there are quite a few tours to South Africa and by South Africa involving the SA 'A' and Under-19 teams," said Bacher. "Hylton will be the coach for those teams with the added expectation that he will keep an eye open for the bright stars of the future and prepare them for the step up to senior international level.
"A black coach will always work with Ackerman to develop skills for coaching at international level. We now have an excellent coaching structure in place. Anton Ferreira has been appointed Director of Coaching; then we have Graham Ford and Corrie van Zyl with our national team and Hylton Ackerman to develop talent among our emerging future stars and coaches."
Ackerman said he was tremendously excited by the offer. "South Africa is my home and all I want to do is help South African cricket. I'm thrilled," he said.
The burly left-hander was recently appointed a South African selector and he will be in an ideal position to keep Rushdie Magiet's selection panel aware of burgeoning talent.