CB Series February 15, 2012

Warner happy to be passed over for captaincy

David Warner has admitted he is still a novice in ODI cricket and understands why he was passed over for the stand-in captaincy of the Australian team for Friday's CB series match against Sri Lanka in Sydney.

While Steve Waugh has expressed his surprise at former captain Ricky Ponting being preferred to lead the team in Michael Clarke's enforced absence due to injury, Warner said he was happy to have been excused from the additional pressure of taking the captaincy after making a quiet start to the ODIs. He also acknowledged his own modest record in the format - 268 runs at 20.61 in 13 matches - as a valid reason not to thrust the top job upon him just yet.

"It's exactly what John [Inverarity] said, basically telling me what I already knew about being under Michael Clarke and getting some experience for future years and hopefully lead the country one day," Warner said at the Sydney Children's Hospital. "I'm thoroughly enjoying that role behind Michael there and obviously appointing Ricky as captain is due to his experience and an opportunity for me to be under him as well, he's led the country for many years and I'm looking forward to being his vice [captain].

"I've not had a great start to the one-day series and I'm looking to put numbers on the board. The selectors have noted they don't want to put any extra pressure on myself, and I felt the same thing and agreed with what they had to say. I take that on board and I thoroughly respect the decision.

"I'm still learning the one-day game as I've said to people about Test cricket. Test cricket was all about me trying to set a foundation for myself and a base for how to go about my game and I've established that at the moment. Now it's back to one-day cricket, where I've got to focus on what works for me at the top of the order, how to approach my game, it's not T20 cricket, I've got 50 overs and I'm still going about that how I am, I'm still talking to the experienced guys like Michael Hussey, Punter and Michael Clarke as well."

Communication has been raised as an issue for kicking around over the past few days, particularly relating to Brad Haddin's uncertain public standing in relation to the national team. However the players appear comfortable with the messages being relayed to them from the selectors, as Warner, David Hussey and Shane Watson all stated when asked about their dealings with Inverarity's panel.

"I think the selectors in my case have always been thorough with me, they've said what I had to do to get back into the team," Warner said. "That was two years ago with the one-day stuff as well, and looking to the future before I made my Test debut, they were always calling me, saying 'you're close, but some big runs on the board and you're in line'. They have always been thorough with me and I've respected what they have done to date by me."

Hussey said he had perceived very little change between the panel as led by Andrew Hilditch and the current one helmed by Inverarity. "I haven't noticed any changes at all," Hussey said. "All I know is John's called me to come back to the Australian ODI team and Twenty20 team so I am very happy with the communication thus far and hope it continues."

As for Watson, who expressed the view that Haddin had been left "in limbo", the allrounder said his own dealings with the current selection panel had been clear and concise on his somewhat convoluted road back from injury.

"I have [had communication], especially through the first couple of weeks and a month I had contact with the selectors," he said. "But in the end the most important thing for me is to get fit because it doesn't matter what you say when you're not playing you need to be out there playing to be able to show what you can do."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• on February 16, 2012, 2:12 GMT

Bring back Shane Warne. He should be captain!

• Dashgar on February 16, 2012, 1:18 GMT

@Gilly4ever, Waugh was part of the Argus review. And part of that review was about being up front with the players. They should have been up front with Warner and Ponting in telling them what their roles would be should Clarke be injured. I agree Warner should not be captain, I think Steve Waugh agrees too, but in that case Warner should never have been made VC, or at least it should have been specified that while Warner was VC Ponting was the "Deputy Captain" or whatever.

• dontask on February 15, 2012, 23:48 GMT

I just wonder if, in the course of a game, Michael Clarke had been injured and forced to leave the field, would a member of the ACB run on the field to tell Ponting to assume the captaincy rather than let vice captain Warner take over?

• SnowSnake on February 15, 2012, 23:30 GMT

Remove Warner and bring back Watson.

• on February 15, 2012, 20:02 GMT

Clarke : captain, Warner :vice captain , Ponting : sacked captain. Clarke out and Ponting in as captain. Trying to work out this equation. Cant seem to find what happened to Warner.Where should I go now for answer? Don Argus please help.

• on February 15, 2012, 16:18 GMT

Forget about captaincy. Ask if hee will be seen in australian side two years from now? one odd 100 against weakest bowling attack and he has become a star. How many runs has he scored in the last few innings other than that big 100?

• on February 15, 2012, 16:12 GMT

Why only batsman has to be a captain? Even Dhoni is captain because he is a frontline batsman & not because he is keeper. It is time bowlers are given equal preference, why not Ryan Harris for all his age & experience?

• Ozcricketwriter on February 15, 2012, 15:36 GMT

Shut up Steve Waugh. Belive in Argus. Ponting is a decent captain with loads of experience and he is safer than Warner, who, while vice captaincy gives him good experience, is nowhere near ready to lead the Australian side.

• drabhibds on February 15, 2012, 14:47 GMT

I think all this debate on whether Ponting or Warner should be captain is really uncalled for... I mean this is just one off or is there something more to this picture than we really know??Hope Clarke gets fit for the match against INDIA so that Dhoni can give them a run for their money again.

• mohanan on February 15, 2012, 14:42 GMT

I think Warner should play his natural attacking game whether its ODI, T20 or test. To be able to sustain his form he needs discipline and should be able to handle the popularity in the right way. Pinch hitting alone won't help in the long run. The oppositions will learn his weak areas with time. Good technique is very important.

• on February 16, 2012, 2:12 GMT

Bring back Shane Warne. He should be captain!

• Dashgar on February 16, 2012, 1:18 GMT

• dontask on February 15, 2012, 23:48 GMT

• SnowSnake on February 15, 2012, 23:30 GMT

Remove Warner and bring back Watson.

• on February 15, 2012, 20:02 GMT

• on February 15, 2012, 16:18 GMT

• on February 15, 2012, 16:12 GMT

• Ozcricketwriter on February 15, 2012, 15:36 GMT

• drabhibds on February 15, 2012, 14:47 GMT

• mohanan on February 15, 2012, 14:42 GMT

• Vindaliew on February 15, 2012, 13:58 GMT

I don't think Warner would be in the least bit disappointed. It's not always you get to play vice-captain to a legend of the game, and in fact Warner will most likely never play a game under Ponting again, so it's a good opportunity to learn and see the difference in styles.

• ajayrcs on February 15, 2012, 12:37 GMT

My question is what did warner did to make him captain in ODI? He is still uncertain in One day side. So why the fuss?

• jplterrors on February 15, 2012, 12:09 GMT

Watsons obviously had a fall out with the new panel u dont miss 3months with a sore calf

• joseyesu on February 15, 2012, 11:59 GMT

Wow a selector guiding to get selected. In india, i guess only after scoring they will notice you.

• RandyOZ on February 15, 2012, 11:26 GMT

@zenboomerang - couldnt have put it better myself!

• on February 15, 2012, 10:48 GMT

every1 say after there failure so warner..nothing new...

• zenboomerang on February 15, 2012, 8:49 GMT

Good to hear Warner's mature comments about where he is at - no delusions... Unlike Watsons, Haddins squealing & hissy fits - pair of drama queens... Warner knows he is at the start of his career & there will be many hurdles to jump before he becomes Test VC, let alone Capt of Oz...

• zenboomerang on February 15, 2012, 8:41 GMT

Obviously Watson's remarks about Haddin being left in limbo are wrong & he really needs to look at his own game before complaining about the selectors... They have kept Haddin up to date with where he is at & what he needs to do to stay in the team - as all players are treated... If Watson doesn't perform as well as Dan Christian has in ODI's he may find himself warming the bench with Haddin - at least Dan doesn't break down at the drop of a photo shoot...

• No featured comments at the moment.

• zenboomerang on February 15, 2012, 8:41 GMT

• zenboomerang on February 15, 2012, 8:49 GMT

• on February 15, 2012, 10:48 GMT

every1 say after there failure so warner..nothing new...

• RandyOZ on February 15, 2012, 11:26 GMT

@zenboomerang - couldnt have put it better myself!

• joseyesu on February 15, 2012, 11:59 GMT