Bhuvneshwar has Gayle's number
- Mohammed Shami's figures of 4 for 71 were the best for an India debutant at Eden Gardens, beating Ghulam Ahmed's 4 for 94 against West Indies in 1949.
- Shami's analysis was also the joint third best for India fast bowlers on debut in the first innings of a Test, after Abid Ali's 6 for 55, in Adelaide in 1967 and Mohammad Nissar's 5 for 93 at Lord's in 1932. Venkatesh Prasad had also taken 4 for 71 on debut at Edgbaston in 1996.
- The change of ball at the end of the 40th over worked in Shami's favour. His figures after his first two spells before the ball was changed were 7-1-39-1. Shami had conceded 19 runs off 13 balls to Marlon Samuels. After the ball was changed, however, Shami's figures were 10-1-32-3. Samuels could score only five runs from ten deliveries Shami bowled at him with the replacement ball, before being bowled by the 11th.
- Bhuvaneshwar Kumar is fast gaining a reputation of being a new-ball specialist in Tests. All seven of his wickets have come with the new ball inside 15 overs of an innings. Including Chris Gayle, five of his seven victims have been openers. Bowling in the first 15 overs of an innings, Bhuvaneshwar has taken seven wickets in 45 overs at an average of 21.71. After the 15th over, his effectiveness as a bowler is greatly diminished: he is yet to take a wicket and has conceded 120 runs in 31 overs. His bowling figures in ODIs also tell a similar story: bowling in the first 15 overs, he has taken 23 wickets at an average of 24.65 and an economy of 3.96. In contrast, in 38 overs he has bowled after the first 15 in ODIs, he has taken only four wickets at an average of 54 and an economy of 5.68.
- Samuels has scored 278 runs at Eden Gardens - the third-highest aggregate by a visiting batsman after Rohan Kanhai (346) and Younis Khan (297). Samuels averages 69.50 at this venue from four innings and has hit one century and two fifties. Samuels has scored 1008 runs in 14 Test innings since 2012 at an average of 77.53, the fourth highest among batsmen with a minimum of 500 runs in this period.
- Gayle managed five runs from 18 deliveries off Bhuvneshwar in this innings before edging one to the second slip. Gayle now averages 7.66 against Bhuvneshwar in international cricket: he has got out to him three times in 43 deliveries and has scored 23 runs.
- Shane Shillingford was Sachin Tendulkar's 46th wicket in Tests. He has now taken five wickets at Eden Gardens, the most he has claimed at any venue in Tests. Tendulkar has 201 international wickets, including 154 wickets in ODIs and one wicket in T20Is.
- West Indies' collapse was the sixth time they had lost their last seven wickets for less than 100 runs in their first innings against India. The last such instance was in the Jamaica Test in 2011.
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul's dismissal was only the seventh time that he was bowled by a spinner in his Test career. The previous such dismissal was against Saeed Ajmal in May 2011, eighteen innings before this one. Of Chanderpaul's 210 dismissals in Tests, he has been bowled only 23 times.
Shiva Jayaraman is sub-editor (stats) at ESPNcricinfo