Chief selector had been told to discontinue writing in newspapers November 16, 2007

BCCI seeks explanation from Vengsarkar over columns

Cricinfo staff



Dilip Vengsarkar had been asked by the board to discontinue his newspaper columns © Cricinfo Ltd

The Indian board has sought an explanation from Dilip Vengsarkar, the chairman of selectors, following reports that he had continued writing newspaper columns despite a directive to discontinue them.

"We have asked for an explanation from him. That's all. We can't monitor each and every paper in the country [whether Vengsarkar's column appears or not]," board secretary Niranjan Shah told PTI.

Earlier in the day, Shah had said the BCCI was not aware of the matter. "He has been told not to write his column. If it's brought to our notice [that he is still writing his column] we will look into it," Shah said.

The board had earlier also decided that Vengsarkar - as chairman of the selection committee - will not be briefing the media after meetings as customary. The move baffled mediapersons present on Wednesday for the announcement of India's team for the first two Tests against Pakistan; instead of being addressed by Vengsarkar, they were handed a release containing the news.

Comments