Karnataka Premier League hits roadblock
Karnataka's annual state-level Twenty20 tournament, the Karnataka Premier League, has hit a roadblock. According to reports, six of the eight franchises have asked for this year's event - scheduled to be held from September 1 to 15 - to be postponed and have also complained about lack of assistance from the host Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) during previous editions.
The franchises told the KSCA in a letter that rains could mar the tournament in September and there was hardly any time for doing promotional activities. The owners also expressed concerns over losing key Karnataka players as the KPL clashes with the BCCI's corporate limited-overs tournament. They have requested that the tournament be held in February 2012.
In another letter, the owners along with the title sponsors have said that the KSCA has not done enough to promote the tournament, especially during its second edition. The tournament was launched in 2009 under the SN Wadiyar-Brijesh Patel-led administration.
Former India fast bowler Javagal Srinath, who is the secretary of the Anil Kumble-led KSCA administration which took over in November last year, said the matter would be resolved shortly. "We thought that September would be ideal and had also finalised July 27 as the player-auction date," Srinath told the Hindu. "The owners have now sought a change in dates and we will look into it but we have to look at the BCCI calendar too and at the moment we are not sure about the international games we will get.
"If there is a suitable window later we can have the tournament then. Even if Bangalore is not in a position to host some of the games, we will take the tournament to the rural centres. These are all operational issues and I am sure we can find a way and work around it."