India news

'It's time to play for Virender Sehwag'

Nagraj Gollapudi and Gaurav Kalra

March 18, 2014

Virender Sehwag has admitted he was "disappointed" when Delhi Daredevils did not buy him at the IPL auction. Sehwag, whose run of bad form has stretched to nearly two years now, has made it clear he will not use the IPL as a platform to prove a point to the Indian selectors or anyone in the team management. Despite the absence of credible innings in the recent past Sehwag said he had "two to three years" of shelf life still left in him.

Sehwag, who was an icon player and a former captain at Daredevils, was not retained by the franchise, which also did not utilise the right-to-match card during the IPL player auction in February. Sehwag, who is part of the top-ten run-makers in the tournament was eventually bought by Kings XI Punjab for a bargain price of INR 3.2 crore at the auction.

"I am okay with that because that decision on Sehwag was a professional one and not personal," Sehwag told ESPNCricinfo on Tuesday, during a phone conversation organised by Kings XI Punjab. "They [Daredevils] wanted to build a team of new players. Yes, I am disappointed a little bit because you know I played six years for Delhi Daredevils. I became an icon player. But things happened and things change."

Virender Sehwag was dismissed for 19 by Nathan Lyon, India v Australia, 1st Test, Chennai, 5th day, February 26, 2013
Despite a poor run stretching back nearly two years, Virender Sehwag remains confident and says he still has "2-3 years left". © BCCI

Sehwag had experienced a wretched loss of form during the Ranji Trophy, and managed only one half-century in seven matches (13 innings, 234 runs, average 19.50, highest score of 56) as Delhi failed to progress past the league stage. In the zonal stage of the Vijay Hazare Trophy (domestic ODI tournament) Sehwag once again failed, scoring 25 runs in two matches for Delhi.

"The season was not good for me because we played on green wickets, little damp pitches," Sehwag said. "I was not able to score big runs (although) I was getting starts and just got one fifty in seven games. It was disappointing."

Sehwag, however, said he had not lost hope and the IPL would provide him another opportunity to bounce back into form. "You have to keep fighting," he said. "Keep hoping that the next match I play I will score runs. I am just hoping the IPL this year will be good for me."

Sehwag disagreed that he needed a successful IPL to prove anything to the Indian selectors and team management . "I don't have to show to anybody because it is time to play for Virender Sehwag or for Kings XI Punjab," he said. "If I perform well people will watch and discuss my name again. But if I go with this mindset that I show to the selectors and management then I don't think I will be able to perform. Then I will be putting pressure on myself. I played enough matches to show (what I can do) to the people, to the world. It is time to play for myself. It is time to play the IPL well. My job is to win the games for my franchise."

Sehwag in the IPL (stats by Shiva Jayaraman)

• Virender Sehwag is one of the five most impactful players in the IPL, going by the number of Man-of-the-Match awards he has won. Sehwag, along with MS Dhoni and Michael Hussey, has won it 10 times. Only Chris Gayle and Yusuf Pathan have won more Man-of-the-Match awards.
  • Sehwag's strike rate of 160.32 in the IPL is the best among players who have scored a minimum of 500 runs in the tournament. Gayle is a close second at 160.20.
  • Sehwag is among the ten highest run-getters in the IPL
  • Sehwag has 16 fifty-plus scores in the IPL, and is joint-sixth on the overall list. Gautam Gambhir and Gayle head that list with 20 fifty-plus scores each.
  • Sehwag has hit 351 boundaries in the IPL, the third highest after Suresh Raina (354) and Chris Gayle (384).

Sehwag denied that his explosive style of play might have contributed to his failures. "Style does not matter," he said. "The important things is how I use my experience to score runs, how I weigh up the conditions, what kind of wicket I am batting on, how I am shaping up are factors that matter more. But style of my play does not matter because if there is a ball to hit I will try to hit it as I have been doing for the last 15 years."

During the home Test series against Australia, shortly before he was dropped, Sehwag was diagnosed with astigmatism and wore glasses while batting. His eyesight, Sehwag said, was posing his batting no problems.

"When I was playing a Test against Australia I had a lot of headaches and pain," he said. "I met a couple of doctors and was told to wear glasses or contact lenses because I have some minus .5 number which is cylindrical. If you have a cylindrical number you have to wear glasses otherwise you will get high pain, so I was not able to concentrate. I played IPL with contact lenses, but now the issue is not eyes. I am okay with that."

Sehwag is 35 years old and critics have started to cast doubts about his future. But the man himself remained confident. "I should not regret anything," he said. "The amount of matches I have played, more than 100 Tests and more than 200 ODIs - I don't regret anything. I have 2-3 years left. I can play 2-3 seasons and I am working towards that."

Sehwag said it was not just experience he had to offer to the teams he would be part of, be it India or his IPL franchise. "The batting and the kind of style I have, that I can offer to any team," he said. "I have scored two triple centuries and six double hundreds so I know how to score big runs. It is just a matter of one big innings and after that I hope I can keep scoring big runs. In T20 there are only 120 balls of which you get to bat 50-60 at the most, so how many runs can you score in that time."

In his time out of the national side, Sehwag says he has been watching India matches "like a spectator".

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo
Gaurav Kalra is a senior editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by Johnny_129 on (March 22, 2014, 15:49 GMT)

Sehwag - What a player, a World Cup winner and a living legend!! This is a man who played for the team. Sehwag was a street smart batsman with great hand-eye coordination - Such players are great at their peak but struggle (more than solid technicians) when they age - Sehwag's best days have passed. But Indian fans please take heed from Sehwag's final quote in this article, "India winning is what matters rather than being worried about who should play."

Posted by SachisKing on (March 20, 2014, 15:10 GMT)

Its MSD politics. You have to be from Jharkhand or CSK these days to get into the Indian team playing XI. Time for MSD to manage his companies and leave cricket leadership to the younger ones like Virat, Yuvi and the rest.

Posted by Dada Army on (March 20, 2014, 9:39 GMT)

Viru, still I believe in you. I am amazed with your batting skills and scoring ability. One word I would like to remember you as always said in press conferences fear factor, I want you to play without fear you will rock, I want to see some of unique shots , a cut on the point from your flashing blad, hit over the bowlers head and a down the track maximum.

Posted by   on (March 20, 2014, 6:00 GMT)

Sehwag needs to do two things. 1) Undertake similar training to what Yuvraj and Zaheer went through at Brive La Gaillarde, with Tim Exter. It will help him get into much more fitter shape, and stronger. 2) He needs to spend some time at least a season with county cricket in England or Australia( even now! he is complaining about green and damp pitches). This will help him regain his coordination, strength,concentration and most importantly his confidence.

Posted by   on (March 20, 2014, 4:08 GMT)

The only player opponent teams feared that is sehwag n he is not in the team so ridiculous players like rohit, shikhar get backed up despite failure I think sehwag still has capablity to make opponent sweat to get him out n score big runs in test matches n I believe he should be appointed as test captain n dhoni retain his odi n t20.dhoni wants to quit one format anyway

Posted by switchgrind68 on (March 19, 2014, 17:06 GMT)

The Viru chapter seems to be more politics than sports. He did go through a rough phase, so are a some players in the current squad, yet there is no 'action' taken. The current situation of Indian Cricket definitely calls for a high impact player like Virender Sehwag to make a comeback, provided he gets back in to blazing form. He knows his game best and only he knows how much cricket he has left in him.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 12:18 GMT)

As Sehwag said he is having two or three years left for sure. India don't have dangerous opener like him right now. I think his confident level has been increased. Lets see how Sehwag do in this year's IPL.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 12:07 GMT)

Sehwag's game is over unless he seriously works on his front foot technique.

Too many bolds, lbws & getting late on indipper is just not f9 for a test level batsman.

PERIOD

Posted by Sir_Francis on (March 19, 2014, 10:16 GMT)

At 35 I suspect he may still have a bit left, maybe not at the Test level but the lower levels.

As for the comments about Gilchrist, his form had plummeted over quite some time, not just one bad test. In fact, over his last 28 tests his averaged dropped from 55.65 to finally, 47.60. So he lost 8 runs in under 3 years. That's quite a long dip in form. He averaged 30.21 in those 28 tests. A lot of other players would have been dropped before then.

Posted by muzika_tchaikovskogo on (March 19, 2014, 10:06 GMT)

I fear Viru's international career is now over. Sehwag is a player who completely relies on hand-eye coordination. His reflexes have now slowed and unlike Sachin, who increasingly relied on techniques as he aged, Sehwag just doesn't have a solid technique to fall back upon.

Posted by aijazulhaq on (March 19, 2014, 10:06 GMT)

Sehwag doesn't need any special wicket to get into form. He has proved this while scoring runs on all surfaces, against all oppositions. He is low on confidence. Only thing that will boost it would be his redemption to prove his critics, including the present players, wrong. He should play this IPL with this burning desire to end his career on a high note. Definitely there is still a plenty of cricket left in him.

Posted by Naresh28 on (March 19, 2014, 9:39 GMT)

The decision has come from himself. If he can find the form then he should let his bat do the talking, the same with Gambhir. Chances of their return dwindle with so much batting talent in India e.g. K Rahul, Mandeep Singh, Uthappa, Tiwari .... the list is long. Indian pacers with the talent should play county cricket - WE REALLY NEED this department to rise. Please BCCI sponsor some talents like Pandey, Umar Nazir for the sake of Indian cricket.

Posted by AdhishS on (March 19, 2014, 9:10 GMT)

Sehwag is no doubt a world class player and has proved this time and time again. However, I seriously feel that his reflexes have slowed down considerably and something is wrong somewhere, Sehwag is well past his prime now. Unless he scores very heavily in domestic cricket, I doubt he will be able to comeback in the Indian team, and rightly so.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 8:48 GMT)

As said by our Dada when Dhoni & Srini will leave from cricket then only Sehwag,GG,Zaheer and some other talented players will get chance. If IND omit senior players like Sehwag,GG,Zaheer for coming WC surely they will feel .

Posted by Sandeepbachhal on (March 19, 2014, 8:22 GMT)

Def ntly he is not in gud nik. Bt we need him bouncy wikets as he can play suprbly on those kind of pitches. He has not suffered according to condition in his whole career. He has scored in nz, sa, aus, eng . Bt evry time he takes some time. Bt m sure he is far better thn rohit. Rohit has played nearly 150 matches & still struglling in this young age. Rohit has not been consistent for atleast for 10 matches ever. I will pick sehwag anytime for my team. We will support him from chandigarh as he will represent my regional team punjab. Go sehwag go.. This is last chance, play fearlessly. Your country loves u.

Posted by Rufus_Fuddleduck on (March 19, 2014, 8:17 GMT)

People who live by sheer hand-eye coordination have a shorter shelf life and Sehwag needs to acknowledge that. He has been a delight and a game-changer, but so was Gilchrist and the way he walked away after one bad Test was an object lesson.

Posted by landofcricket on (March 19, 2014, 8:11 GMT)

if rohit fail this t20 wc he does not deserve more chance...rahane showing good character .so he is good for opening slot..if dhawan fail he should be replaced by gambir...but i have doubt over viru's comeback...

Posted by AmeyaAB on (March 19, 2014, 8:09 GMT)

Scoring on damp and green wickets should be used as a test to perform at the highest level overseas. Sehwag can be seen giving an excuse for a rough patch and slowing of his reflexes. Readers and people who comment should keep their biases aside and think rationally what is best for the team. Sehwag is not a certain reliable Dravid or a certain genius like Tendulkar. He lacks the footwork and the straight batted shots which Tendulkar and Dravid could play when not in their prime. Same goes to Ganguly whose days after his prime were disastrous.

Sehwag did well with his triple hundreds, encashing on some poor bowling units and equally good batting conditions. But, the real test is amongst the best of the bowling attacks.

Vinod Kambli comes to my mind when it comes to encashing weak opponents to score back-to-back double centuries, but he failed to score against the mighty West Indians in the test series that followed.

Posted by android_user on (March 19, 2014, 7:51 GMT)

viru.....the legendd....plss cm bk to ind team....crckt is not same without uu...

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 7:50 GMT)

I am not sure whether India needs Sehwag , but what I am sure is that Sehwag needs India. I have a feeling he will come into the team, play about 10 bad innings, 6 good innings, and retire on the back of that.

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (March 19, 2014, 7:40 GMT)

Everything's have a the end accept it....no sachin that's mean get sachin back come one Indian fans wake up come to the realty..

Posted by Coolcapricorn on (March 19, 2014, 7:24 GMT)

Simply amazed how some Indian fans seem so delusional in wanting both Sehwag & Gambhir back & even coming up with even some incredulous conspiracy theories as to why they were both dropped! Please get real! Both were very lucky to have stayed in the team for so long towards the end despite their poor form & which largely contributed to the 'whitewashes' we started getting. As some others have said, Viru had become a liability in the field too with the extra weight he was carrying & with others too, our fielding had become such a laughing stock! If we wish for India to do well, we need ALL our players who represent us to be totally professional in showing now just form but fitness too! As things stand, it would be such a backward step going back to either Viru or Gambhir!

Posted by Honest45 on (March 19, 2014, 7:20 GMT)

In the past few years it has been very obvious that Dhoni gave a very hard time to those whoever regarded as a contender for leadership. Especially Viru and Gambir became victims of that and their lack of form also became a plus point for Dhoni. Meantime, Dhoni is also avoiding to give a proper ODI opportunity to Pujara because he knows he is a future captaincy material. Unfortunately, Kohli is too strong for Dhoni because he is very aggressive and makes sure that his bat talks in every series.

Dhoni always favours Raina & R.Jadeja because they are his business partners in more than 5 five star hotels in India. Meantime, he will also give opportunities to average players like Rohit, Rahane, D.Karthik, Rayudu, etc (in addition to Raina & R.Jadeja) because they are not threats for him. I would suggest that BCCI should closely monitor Dhoni's actions and should not hesitate to take a decision like what ECB did for Kevin Pietersen.

Posted by SportsIsLife on (March 19, 2014, 7:07 GMT)

The pressure on Sehwag and GG is immense and it is create by one man and his firends who have taken India back to the time of 90s....unfortunately Sachin has retired...hence we loose all the time abroad....Dada took us to a level where we became a force both home and abroad....and Dhoni has undone all the hard work and vision of Dada...ask Dada...he is absolutely clear that Sehwag and Ghambir should ALWAYS be playing for India till they retire......I am such a big fan of cricket and it pains when I see one man destroying Indian cricket....it is like Indian poilitical scenario...Dhoni won T20 world cup and 50 overs one and one thing is common....GAMBHIR WAS TOP SCORER IN BOTH FINALS....is there anything else that needs to be mentioned....it really hurts....we fans need to raise our voice against this nonsense

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 7:04 GMT)

I'm Bangladeshi,but thr is a long time relationship with indian cricket as a fan. I think VIRU out of main squad is the only wrong decision in last 15 year however in Test,ODI or T20.

Posted by android_user on (March 19, 2014, 7:00 GMT)

sehwag is badly needed by india......

Posted by arup_g on (March 19, 2014, 6:50 GMT)

Those who keep asking for Sehwag to be picked over youth - what's wrong with you all?! How poor has he been in the past 2-3 years?! On what merit does he deserve to be playing for India? None! We cannot pick players purely on their history. If that was the case we should be playing Gambhir too. we MUST look at the future, because it is those players who will take India to the top again.

Of course we miss Sehwag at the top of our innings, there's no doubt about that, however the likes of Dhawan and Rohit in ODIs, and Dhawan and Vijay in tests have done a good job, and will get better. We need to stick with them and let them develop into better players. Also having Sehwag in your XI means you gain an extra slow fielder so he will no good there too. With a young team, look how good our fielding is now!

Posted by FranciscoQuadros on (March 19, 2014, 6:34 GMT)

I believe we are past Viru's expiration date of scoring heavily.. It's time to give the youngsters an opportunity to perform and flourish.. Though I'm a big fan of Viru, especially the way he revolutionized opening the batting in test cricket, he's far from his best and I think the only way out for him is to play in cash rich worldwide T20 leagues.. Apart from his batting, his fitness has been an issue.. Also with the ball, he's not the bowler he once used to be.. Unless Viru starts scoring heavily, becomes slimmer (maybe train under the same trainer who trained Yuvi and Zak in France) and starts contributing equally with the ball then perhaps the selectors should give him a chance at least till the 2015 WC. An all-round firing Viru is dangerous!! Amongst all the part-timer spinners India posses, Viru is the second best bowler with the golden arm to Tendulkar.. If fitness and form are evading him, then its time to say bye-bye to Viru from international cricket..

Posted by Afg.Cricket on (March 19, 2014, 6:33 GMT)

The Idian team needs Sehwag at the top order both in tests and ODIs and he is right that he should not prve anything for the selectors or any body else. He has already proven it to the WORLD. I am a great fan of his batting and he is badly needed in the team especially now that Sachin is not playing Sehwag is a must for the indian team. Shame for the indian selectors who are noot picking him may be for their persnal reasons. We know that no Rohit or Dhawan can replace him and they can never play the way Sehwag did to release the pressure...LUV U SEHWAG. Play well in the IPL and show the world that Sehwag is Sehwag

Posted by aditgr on (March 19, 2014, 6:29 GMT)

Though a big fan of his batting in his heydays, I feel his days are over unless there is a miracalous comeback. The fact that he is struggling to score runs at a Ranji level attests to that fact. I hope he plays well in the IPL just to serve as a reminder to the good old days. Good performance in the IPL does not warrant a national selection. All it should do is help the player get some eyeballs to his Ranji or other State level performances. And to some people calling him a flat track bully, please do remember that some of his finest centuries came in Newzealand and South Africa :)

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 6:28 GMT)

I think sehwag is better than Rohit & dhawan....because If sehwag makes 30's or 40's it will be very usefull & give good impact to the match....

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 6:11 GMT)

The main reason Sehwag n Gambhir were dropped from the team is that they both were contenders to lead the team if and when dhoni fails. So he wanted both of them out n thier lack of form also helped his case. But lack of form is a lame reason considering the number of chances given to some players favoured by dhoni. Now its clear that dhoni's time as captian is up n he can't do anything to improve or take this team forward, but still he is persisted with, only reason being there is no other option/ contender to take over the captaincy right now... n that's kind of shrewd mind and thinking he has when it comes to saving himself, but unfortunately that shrewd thinking n stratergies dont come to play when he leads the team to one failure after another.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 5:40 GMT)

India needs a good selector...Sandeep patil is not the right man to do the job

Posted by landofcricket on (March 19, 2014, 5:24 GMT)

We indian fans used to watch & enjoying attack innings from viru & gambhir from the first ball itself in all formats ...but look now these 2 openers replaced by lazy rohit & irritating dhawan..look at body language of rohit ,he keeps on eating ball & suddenly swing bat and got out..this happening in last 3 series...rohit also transferring his lazy wave to entire team....i do not think dhawan will have longer carrier in indian team..

Posted by ButchiReddy_TimmaReddy on (March 19, 2014, 5:07 GMT)

Sehwag hv to play for upcoming england and aus tests... he is the only one in india to hit 2 triples in tests.. shame on bcci for not giving chance to the legend.. this is not digrstable to indian fans.. its been 1 year already from the day he dropped.. its a highy demoralising him... all the best viru .. perform well in IPL..

Posted by android_user on (March 19, 2014, 4:31 GMT)

Robin uttappa he is super farm and he is first choice drop rohith down the order and give chance to robin england tour he can now play test cricket also Rahane only test player once again dnt send him opener 26mch what he done 2 fifftys robin is so far better fr rahane ..so robin uttappa yu are a fighter yu will come back ..and rock play fr 3 years ennoff

Posted by PiyushD on (March 19, 2014, 4:19 GMT)

add to my previous comments not long back he was the best playing spinner in the XI, though that is an irony.

Posted by PiyushD on (March 19, 2014, 4:16 GMT)

An inform fit again Sehwag will do a lot of good for not only Indian cricket but world cricket as well, He and GG are still the best opening pair in India, I feel he should go to Sachin and take guidance on how to come out of this slump. Can't understand why a simple lasic can not solve his eye problem.

Posted by Vasunigam on (March 19, 2014, 4:16 GMT)

From past few days I am watching highlights of old Asia Cup & WT20 2007 - The impact made by Sehwag, Gambhir & even R P Singh was real treat. Current crop of Dhawans,Rahane & Sharmas are not consistent enough to made same impact - yes they are new & will require some time to establish (pls exclude Sharma- he has more than enough opportunities) - Now Gambhir & Sehwag have proven track records in both Sub continent & abroad so they can be considered. Gambhir is a must in this batting line up (Test,One day & T20s) while a left arm pacer like R P Singh should be brought back. But AS per as Sehwag is concerned- given his age & fitness he should not be there in T20s but in Test & one dayers please let him play for a season & at least give a Grand farewell to him.

Posted by SANATP22 on (March 19, 2014, 3:53 GMT)

India Need Sehwag & Gambhir at top in ODI & Test Cricket for next 2 or 3 yr to develop player like Rahane, Pujara and R Jadeja in both version. Rohit & Dhawan both fails more than enough so as Vijay. its time to replace them both

Posted by ITJOBSUCKS on (March 19, 2014, 3:38 GMT)

Sehwag is a "real flat track bully" even though i'm a big fan of his batting!!! Viru is all about hand eye co-ordination..it was expected that he wouldn't last the distance like Sachin, Dravid b'coz of his technique...All of his big 200's have come in sub-continent...If you look @ his test record carefully, it is quite clear that he is pathetic when it comes to batting in abroad like ENG, SA & NZ...I see lot of ppl here want sehwag to replace rohit in ODI's which is quite shocking considering sehwag's record in ODI's in ENG, SA & AUS is absolutely poor even after playing for 14yrs!! India won champions trophy mainly b'coz of Dhawan & Rohit....So, we need to persist with them for a while as they have done really well averaged more than 55 in ODI's last yr!!!

Posted by rahulbachu on (March 19, 2014, 3:17 GMT)

Sehwag is only the player from indian team who scores 2 triple century (319,309) and one 294 run, thats shows his class and he also has a highest old runs 219. This 2 year we realy miss you and your way of playing althought thats 2 year past now we want that sehwag will shows the power and their batting style in IPL2014. Best of Luck sehwag, we always with you..........

Posted by here2rock on (March 19, 2014, 3:10 GMT)

Looking forward to see Sehwag back in the game, probably the most destructive modern day player, his records speak for himself. I hope we will get to say a proper farewell to him in a Test Match like Tendulkar perhaps in Delh being, his home ground. Fingers crossed for him!

Posted by balaji246 on (March 19, 2014, 3:09 GMT)

We want sehwag and gambhir back to the squad for england tour

Posted by TRAM on (March 19, 2014, 2:14 GMT)

Even if he scores a few 50's in the Ranji matches, what about his fielding? He would still drop crucial catches and leak 25 runs extra. He cant field in the deep either. He is only a liability to the team. Reflexes dont improve at 35 years of age. Sorry.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 1:52 GMT)

He cannot give excuses like green pitches or damp pitches.besides batting his fitness matters now.hope he comes back strong.

Posted by Dagur on (March 19, 2014, 1:50 GMT)

No doubt, there is no one like Virender Segwag ! As usual, the game will go on and should go on but for many like me, it is not the same any more ! It is also a mystery that Sehwag himself has been able to sort out his problems of form and fitness for such a long time. Also, his personal coach and his other well wishers in the game have not been of much help either ! BCCI, anyway, seems to have completely ignored him. Such a complete slump in the form is unprecedented and a champion going down this way is disgusting ! Alas ! Viru fans seems to be hoping against the hope !

Posted by android_user on (March 19, 2014, 1:14 GMT)

he's a real impact player wenever he was in form dere was nothing better to watch and he changed d way of batting in test dnt remember any1 scoring so many runs at such an exceptional strike rates and dat too opening d batting dhawan's good but no way near a threat sehwag was to opposing team and lets nt talk about nohit nly god knows y he's still playing cricket .viru paaji i wud love to c u play dose typical innings again and again even if u can give a single good season to dis indian team in transition dat will do a world of good to indian cricket

Posted by wapuser on (March 19, 2014, 1:02 GMT)

Selectors shoud consider the re-entry of 'Viru' after this IPL season. India need such an opener to keep WC champions. Dhoni has to support him and keep away the personnal motives.

Posted by dunger.bob on (March 19, 2014, 0:35 GMT)

I forgot to mention this before. The last time I saw a lot of Sehwag was a while ago now. India's last tour to Australia (2011 was it?) in fact. .. I noticed then that Sehwag had let himself go a bit soft physically. He looked a few kilo's over ideal playing weight for him. A bit podgy around the waistline and it was very evident in his fielding. He was slow to move and took forever to recover if he had to chase the ball any distance. It got so bad Dhoni didn't know where to put him. He was close to being a genuine liability in the field. .. poor fitness doesn't help your batting either. You lose stamina, strength and more importantly your brain doesn't work as well as it should. Judgement becomes a bit dodgy and you make more bad decisions than normal. .. I think it's a factor in his decline.

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (March 19, 2014, 0:29 GMT)

@harisz are you his personal batting coach ?

Posted by dunger.bob on (March 19, 2014, 0:16 GMT)

Sehwag is my favourite Indian player of all time. I like his style of play and his attitude. In full flight he was something to behold. .. I have no idea if he make it back to national colours but would have to say it looks a bit doubtful now. You never know though, he may just give them something to think about if he plays anywhere near his best.

The other thing I got out of this article is just how damn good Chris Gayle is at the shortest format. Stunning numbers. A real legend of the IPL.

Posted by   on (March 19, 2014, 0:01 GMT)

Good player but past his prime now! this is not pak cricket where oldies make several come backs! if his local team Delhi have dropped him then even tougher getting into the Indian side.

Posted by caldruid on (March 18, 2014, 23:18 GMT)

Indian fans please dont be emotional. Yes, Viru was a great player many years ago. But his last few appearances were extremely bad. You cannot bring him into the side and ruffle the feathers of existing players. Look at the Yuvraj experiment and how it failed. Both these players unfortunately are approaching/have approached the end of their shelf life in the international format. Let them continue to play IPL or do coaching stints if they want to serve the country.

Posted by Coolcapricorn on (March 18, 2014, 23:00 GMT)

Viru was one of India's best opening batsmen but pointless being nostalgic in bringing him back as he was really struggling for form at the end & was lucky to have stayed in the team for so long despite this. He was quite poor in last year's IPL from what I remember [no co-incidence DD didn't want him back] & has shown no form on the domestic circuit either. Ages catches up with everyone & maybe it is time for him to retire & pursue other interests.

Posted by DarthKetan on (March 18, 2014, 22:51 GMT)

Free spirited players like him who play the game for its fun and to entertain public are few to come by in today's 'professional' day and age. Wish he can make a successful comeback like Ganguly, but something tells me it (comeback) will not happen. If so, he is fittingly placed next to Viv Richards on prolific Test run-makers chart.....both aggressive trailblazers for others....We are already seeing it in Dhawan, Warner etc. All the best Viru!!

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 22:30 GMT)

you are a true legend ... we love you Viru get back to Indian team... there are few useless fellows in the current Indian team and you deserve the compare to them .. and many of my good friends commented before about the current form of the player.. then Indian team would be left with 5 or 6 players and we should play only with them and not 11 players.... wake up guys and lets give a credit to legends .. i do support youngster but you need seniors to guide them as well....form is temp and class is permnt Viru you are far far better than many players in current Indian team. Viru come on you can do it and we are with you... Waiting to see you again in Indian team... I do support Robin too and hope to see Viru and Robin open together ...

Posted by bookie7600 on (March 18, 2014, 22:28 GMT)

Sachin at 40 was fitter than Sehwag. Also he needs to stop referring himself in the third person! I hope he does well in the IPL because that is the format he is most likely to prosper. He was a very good batsman at some point of time in test matches but he was never a legend in any sense.

Posted by TheBigBoodha on (March 18, 2014, 22:20 GMT)

Thanks for that, Sehwag. Looks like you just proved a point I have long made about the TEST wickets in India.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 21:59 GMT)

i do agree with u @harizs.. yes, Robin z playing very well.. and yes, its nt so long that he cums in place of Rohit.. lets wait n watch..

Posted by stumpedlloyd on (March 18, 2014, 21:27 GMT)

Does this quote by Sehwag, "The season was not good for me because we played on green wickets, little damp pitches," prove what many have always thought about him? That he is a flat-track bully? He is admitting he can't play on green wickets.

Posted by pritpalpabla on (March 18, 2014, 21:16 GMT)

Really miss sehwag... Current india T20 team looks weak in opening slot. With Sehwag and Dhawan... this could have been great... But Sehwag don't have recent good record to show for any comeback in indian team but in Ranji trophy the pitches of delhi weren't good. they played on green pitches... I am sure he will do good with punjab.... and make a come back in national team...

Posted by nainil0683 on (March 18, 2014, 20:50 GMT)

Sehwag is by far the best opening batsman in ODIs that India has ever produced. We have seen Sachin playing aggressive while opening the innings in the early part of his career, but then Sachin slowed down once he became the only anchor in the team in the late 1990s. Sourav was one step below Sachin. But Sehwag has played the same way from game one. His approach is simply Attack, Attack, and Attack. In Test matches he obviously comes after Gavaskar. But the amount of runs he puts when he is on the wicket is baffling. He should back his capability and come good for the last 3 years. The Sharmas, the Dhawans are no where near to Sehwag. Hope Sehwag roars like a Lion and makes an astonishing comeback in the team.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 20:48 GMT)

Unlike other seasons, this IPL, KING XI PUNJAB will ROCK provided he (Virendra Sehwag) is backed by other players.

Get ready folks!!

Posted by BnH1985Fan on (March 18, 2014, 19:14 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster -- India lost quite a few matches because of Sehwag also. After scoring 100 against Bangladesh (right) he did nothing of note in the World Cup. The truth is we can't afford to hang on to him for that one good mind blowing performance. Not to mention younger players are better fielders and the future of India. Sehwag is a glorious past, let's leave him there.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 19:13 GMT)

viru bhai....all the best...good days are going to come...we want to see u again in opener pair...of indian cricket..i like u r bating very much..nothing is imposible with god..i have trust in u r talent.....

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 19:04 GMT)

Viru you are simply great rightly said that you have nothing to prove in front of any body as you have prove it many a times in past. One can see from your statistics & your records but have faith in god & wait for good time to come. We remember & enjoyed watching your naturaly, fearless, attacking,stockplay batting very wel. I AM SURE YOU WILL BE BACK IN THE TEAM INDIA ALL THE BEST.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 18:59 GMT)

Scintillating Sehwag we want u back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by sapnil2000 on (March 18, 2014, 18:44 GMT)

i noticed one thing, if someone says bad thing about bangladesh cricket, their career goes downfall and they cant recover from that.most vocal guys against bangladesh cricket and see their career graph after the comments, example: basit ali from pakistan, saqlain mushtaq, shehwag, adam parore from NZ

Posted by Harizs on (March 18, 2014, 18:04 GMT)

R u kidding me??? ..viru is a great batsmen no doubt but his current form is so poor he hasnt scored even in domestic level ..at 35 he can hardly think of coming back,his fitness is not gud and his fielding is poor too..Selectors will never take him . We need ROBIN UTHAPPA as opener who has been consistently performing for so long.look at this guys determination .Lost 16kg , hired a personal batting coach , and has never give up attitude , his fielding his brillant as we all know , he is aggressive opener (not as viru but 1000times better than nohit), he can rotate strike well, can hit the ball hard n long, n most importantly build partnership n can play throughout the innings as we saw in recent domestic matches..also can do wicket keeping...Wat more can anyone expect .Selector shd give him chance for series in England and Austrialia i can bet he is the best bet..If India need an good opener for WC stage ..Robin fits the bill perfectly. PLS PUBLISH CRICINFO

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 17:58 GMT)

Shewag is King of Indian Cricket... We don't have such impact player in recent years. Anyway he know why he is out of team because finally form is matter.

Posted by ozone8237 on (March 18, 2014, 17:55 GMT)

The Legends who have contributed their share in the winning track of a team or simple their performance earned them an iconic role should decide for themselves when is the right time for them to retire. If they are dropped just once from the Playing eleven by the management this should be an alarming sign from them. If they are not even included in the squad then its really a time when they should keep quiet and get their energies, skills and experience togather and and try to speak through their performance on the field in whatever limited chance they get and try to give a last shot. If impressive they will be automatically recalled in the team or else they should retire with Honor and dignity. Its not just Shewag, this applies to every legendary player in past, present and future.. Always say good bye in your peak time since last performances are always remembered and respected.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (March 18, 2014, 17:55 GMT)

Viru is a LEGEND ! He's better than Rohit Sharma and Dhawan that's for sure. A single player in Sehwag can win a dozen matches for India on his own. Truth be told, Dhawan and Rohit Sharma have been a DISASTER as openers. They have been the primary reasons why India are losing games now. Their poor starts has put extra pressure on Kohli and the middle order. It's time for Gambhir and Sehwag to come back to where they belong - as Team India openers in all formats.

Posted by GrindAR on (March 18, 2014, 17:54 GMT)

Good sportsmanship shown by Viru. Realizing he had his significant time in Indian dressing room is the symbol of self belief and showing respect to the team management for dropping him. He is one of the talented leader who did not get enough chances in that position, but will be in hearts of many in India and abroad who watched his destructive batting skills and attitude.

Posted by yuvi_gladiator on (March 18, 2014, 17:48 GMT)

no youngster is taking there there chances, so might as well give him a go. at least he lets us win odis in the subcontinent, unlike our fantasticly weak ball waster rahane

Posted by wapuser on (March 18, 2014, 17:46 GMT)

Sewag really miss u .......come back Indian team

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 17:35 GMT)

"Nothing to prove to anybody?" Yes you do Viru!! The Indian selectors decide who makes the team, not you.... they believe you are not good enough. Poor attitude. Lift your game, or accept your fate.

Posted by akhi.aims on (March 18, 2014, 17:30 GMT)

Sir Virendra Sehwag!

I am one of your fans. I am sure you will do well in this IPL. I am sure you will be back in the ODI and the test Teams.

All the Best!! There is no player as good as you when it comes to opening the Innings.

At one time there were 2 Tendulkars and 2 Sehwags in the team as both Tendulkar and Sehwag looked a Mirror Image.

I am sure Sir Sehwag, U will be back.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 17:30 GMT)

Common viru paji show the people what they expecting from you.

Posted by Tuhin544 on (March 18, 2014, 17:17 GMT)

Viru is the best.... I was a supporter of Delhi Daredevils. but now i support kings xi punjab!!! Its only for u... Go viru... prove once again...!!!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 17:13 GMT)

well i think it is time for sehwag to retire...let new blood to enricj indian cricket

Posted by wapuser on (March 18, 2014, 17:12 GMT)

I like you as a player,, but don't stop the hard work..and take things for granted..show your spirit and game..Every time you won't be selected on your past performance..We want to c you play ..N enjoy your game

Posted by prasanthkiran on (March 18, 2014, 17:12 GMT)

boasting past won't help him. he has to prove his mettle if he want to be in team.i admire his swashbuckling batting but he hsa to prove himself in ipl and ranji trophy before entering into nationalside

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 17:08 GMT)

The greatest Indian batsman deserves to be treated better.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 17:03 GMT)

Form is temporary Class is permanent......u r world class batsman....... this years ORANGE CAP is your.........

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 16:59 GMT)

we salute viru no dowt he is a legend batsman bt now days his batting average is very poor and also consistency he failure in domestic maches always selctore focusing only prasent farm thats why viru is ruled out bt one guy we should select thats Robin uttappa all sectore ignred bt he never loss his attitude he still fighting he taken very hard and look at 320.kca leagh..after he played 5 ranji mach and scored 435 runs 1cenchury and 2fiftys after failure in irani bt taken brileante catch of dk after vijay hazare 540 runs and 3cenchury and 1fifty .he diserve..what we have now indian team just past performers .like rohith .Rahane .raina..yovi..please selctore go present perfomence give the chance to Robin .karun nayar..kedarjadav..and klrahul...viru we love yu bt intrentionl cricket ithink over bt we love to see in ipl who no if yu are good performer why nt come back..bt my choice Robin uttappa ..he is real fighter

Posted by BnH1985Fan on (March 18, 2014, 16:54 GMT)

Viru WAS a great player. Currently he is out of shape, and out of form. It is not a surprise Delhi got rid of him. India, can't make the mistake of going back to a veteran when they have the task of grooming Dhawan, Rohit, M Vijay and Rahane.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 16:48 GMT)

What more Robin Uttappa has to prove selectors to get inside the team. He is consistent in his performance. India need a regular opener not part time opener like rohit Sharma. he is good in depth.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 16:46 GMT)

We want viru back In team India

Posted by Tigg on (March 18, 2014, 16:45 GMT)

I've always seen Sehwag as something of a flat track bully who struggles if there is something for the seamers. If the pitch is flat and the ball isn't swinging much he is, perhaps, the single msot devastating opening batsman to play the game. If there's something for the seamers then his alll-eye-no-feet style of see ball, hit ball, batting is vulnerable.

India selecting him again would be a huge backward step, even if he does start scoring again.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 16:41 GMT)

The problem with Sehwag starts after he has proven his 'point'... If he can play every match like he has to prove a point , he will walk into any playing eleven today.

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (March 18, 2014, 16:32 GMT)

viru.... common... u always played in great spirits... its just that somehow something goin wrong....but u always deserve a place in playing eleven.... but watever more than anybody else in line up we love. u...

Posted by Prats6 on (March 18, 2014, 16:26 GMT)

Viru is probaly the only opener who has had success out of the subcontinent from India. He may have his best years behind him but nothing will diminish what he has achieved for India. No matter what happens he will remain a modern great.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 16:15 GMT)

yes , its time play for viru, viru is best openr after sunil, sachin. If viru got his confidence in Ipl.. it will comeback in odai., but firstly its depend on viru , ,, sir ,, I love you.. very.. much. ,, I want to play u.. I Pray to god u make 750 plus runs in IPl 2014.. Best of luck .. Plz sir play his normal game.. and not thing about waht hapen in world.. sir you r a danger player. and most likely stylest bastman.. you hit runs 319 test , 219 in Odai .109 In Ipl .309 In test.. sir ji you r the best I love.. u.. so much.. If India want to reach in semifinal in world cup 2015 ,,, give a chance for viru.. and gambir.. otherwise .. in australia and new zeland pitch is so fast and bounce . , rothit sharma , and dhavan . will not success againts fast pitch and boune pitch. so a chance for viru..

Posted by vkumar_086 on (March 18, 2014, 16:12 GMT)

Im the big fan of Viru....he is the highest individual scorer in an innings in both tests and ODI for India....only the 2nd player to hit 2 triple centuries in tests....highest run scorer in a day of tests and that too against Australia, if he bats for sometime, bowlers of opponents will lose confidence....and many more records with him....plz prove your worth and join Indian team.....he is far better than the current openers...Viru India wants you !

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 16:09 GMT)

sehwag no use because he will play one or two matches in ipl and he will be injured and he won't play rest. this is 7th years they have not won a upload cup. ( for what he should be).

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 16:05 GMT)

Viru.... I am a one your biggest fans!!! I think u r d best batsman ever after Sir Don Braddman!!! The attitude which you had shown in your 90s, 190s, or 290s is unmatchable !!! Sports ad games are for enjoyment and u have certainly showed the world that games should not be played for records or to increase the number of 100s , but to only enjoy!!

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 15:59 GMT)

yeah, he can play ,,,,,

Posted by immi2711 on (March 18, 2014, 15:57 GMT)

Well as Pakistani...I can tell you one thing, whenever he came to bat, everyone was praying, becos he is hands down, one of the most destructive players. I think India mis-managed him, The guy could give you 50-60 runs in a blink of an eye...and mess up line/length of your bowling unit....and that is what you wanted from your opener, and he did that....his wicket was crucial everytime....I feel bad for him, in my opinion he was a hired gun...and if he spotted the ball, its gone....I am hoping fixing his eye issues brings his game back...but keep him in IPL...THere is no-one more dangerous than a player that has something to prove.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 15:54 GMT)

Viru i reyale miss you Pls come soon and show your batting oll of your fan's I don't image without you Indian team.Best of luck.viru

Posted by wapuser on (March 18, 2014, 15:51 GMT)

I totally agree with Thomas well said sir

Posted by LegSpinBowlr on (March 18, 2014, 15:49 GMT)

I like sehwag a lot, he changed the way India played test matches, Watching David warner reminds me of how aggressive sehwag was in runscoring even in pitches like SA but if he's out of form there is no point in investing in him, he needs to prove people that he is in good form to pick him back into the team and I am surprised an international opener complaining of green top pitches in domestic level, quit whining sehwag and start scoring

Posted by vkumar_086 on (March 18, 2014, 15:38 GMT)

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (March 18, 2014, 15:37 GMT)

Always been a fan of sehwag the cricketer and the man. He seems humble but like all elite sportsmen he does not know when to quit. In India fans keep thinking of the past and clamor for the comeback and redemption. Sports is a hard mistress to please, there are more failures than success on the comeback valley I would try a robin over Sehwag. Time for him to bid adieu

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 15:26 GMT)

yes. its time for viru to show what he is capable of.when the bcci giving so much opportunities to other players,specially rohit sharma..why not to viru.Now the indian opening pair of shikhar and rohit are lacking aggressive attitude to win matches..they are just just duplicate tiger in their own backyard.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 15:17 GMT)

I love you Viru but I hope we don't pick you till you prove yourself in either Ranji or IPL. I do hope that are right and we get another two years out of you.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on (March 18, 2014, 15:12 GMT)

With due respect, I don't think Sehwag has 2-3 months left in his career. I admire him a lot. But time to move-on rather than living in denial. Take a bow Sehwag. Please move-on.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 15:08 GMT)

If India wants to win, they had better get back Shewag. He is a bit of a maverick. It is not easy to believe but he was the reason India did well from 2001 till 2011 especially in test matches (Pak, Aus, SA). Also he was useful with the ball. In ODIs he was amazing too. Unfortunately for his style it is tough to work on any technique. He just needs confidence and some opportunities. Why not when guys like Rohit or Raina gets chance after chance. Shewag and gamhir have not been in favor more than "form". He was the one who destroyed the confidence of vass, murali, akthar, and even the SA or Aussie bowlers. He is a bit like Dilshan and Warner. But thats how things work. Shewag, gambhir, Yosuf, Irfan, Uthappa, harbajan, munaf, etc are some who must be given a final few chances.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 15:03 GMT)

This line sums it all up, come on.. Give the guy some flat batting paradise pitches LOL

Posted by KeepitHonest on (March 18, 2014, 14:58 GMT)

My vote is for Robin Uthappa over Sehwag. Everyone who is dropped goes back to prove themselves in the domestic circuit. Sehwag hasn't because he knows he stands no chance. He is banking on pulling sentimental heartstrings. Uthappa put together a grassroots training plan for himself a while back and it is paying dividends now.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 14:56 GMT)

viru we r with u!!! u ve always been n will always remain my most fav player everrrr.. And now toh u r in my team PUNJAB... U ll rock this IPL for sure.. best of luck man!! **Full support from a true fan of urs sir**

Posted by Rajakottaram on (March 18, 2014, 14:53 GMT)

we miss you lot sehwag...

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:53 GMT)

Viru is 1000 times better than Rohit Sharma. What do you say guys ???

Posted by Temuzin on (March 18, 2014, 14:49 GMT)

Sehwag was a great batsman who redifined opener's role in winning matches. But his game was based on hand-eye coordination. With age he has lost that. There is absolutely no chance for him to succeed at any level now. Retire now before people start forgetting you.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:45 GMT)

Viru should not be lost to Indian cricket. He is an all time great. He should try the Zaheer Khan , Yuvi type of boot camp like fitness training. Talent doesn't vanish overnight. Viru is still as talented as he was before. The real problem could be fitness, due to which he is not able to focus.

Posted by wapuser on (March 18, 2014, 14:43 GMT)

Tears springed when I read "I keep praying that we will do well and India wins the games rather than be worried about myself," he said. "At the end of the day, India winning is what matters rather than being worried about who should play."

Posted by Sarath-SehwagFan on (March 18, 2014, 14:40 GMT)

Surely its the time to play for you Mr.Viru... Show who you are to the cricketing world and what you are capable of..! Blast some 50's in the Ipl and get back to your very owned opening slot in team India against England series... Big cheer to you Danger Man...!!!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:39 GMT)

2000 test matches and many hundreds of players but how many have strikes ball like this Indian....Awesome, we are lucky Sehwag played for India.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:32 GMT)

Wish all the Best to Virender Sehwag , Hope he gets better and disciplined at the same time.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 14:32 GMT)

U r god fr me...U don't need to prove..Bt mke d idiot selectors realize their mistake by dropping u..Just njoy ur game..cheers

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:29 GMT)

I don't think he'll make it back into the Indian team in any format but he'll always remember the second best Indian test opener after Gavaskar, for, he redefined the opener's role in test cricket. He will be remembered as much for his audaciously fast innings and his numerous counter attacks on some legendary bowlers of his era as he is for the tons of runs he made. His 319 against a strong SA attack will always rate as one of the best innings ever. Thanks for all the memories Viru. Whether you make it back into the Indian team or not, you will be a legend!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:28 GMT)

i am not able to enjoy first 15 overs when India is doing bat since great Sewag out of the team.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 14:23 GMT)

sehwag can bounch back. he is one of the most destructive batsmen. I hope he can return back to Indian team. with the help of good performance in this ipl

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:21 GMT)

I hope this IPL will bring fortune to player like Sehwag. But everybody must agree that he is thousand times better than Rohit because the 20-30 runs scored by Rohit in more than 50 balls can be scored by Sehwag in 10-20 balls and he never gives break to scorers.

Posted by wapuser on (March 18, 2014, 14:19 GMT)

Yes Sehwag is himself a matchwinner, he always give 100% , unfortunately Dhoni & Selectors wants only their Raina ,ashwin team. who are not capable of international level, where is bhajji . God pls tell them get the players who play for country and not for Srinivasan.

Posted by CricFanKrish on (March 18, 2014, 14:15 GMT)

Sehwag the philosopher? Amazing. Though he says that he is only going to play for himself (which I assume is true), sadly his hand-eye coordination is not what it used to be. How many cricketers have scored big runs after 35? While everybody lives on hope, Sehwag should know he is well past his prime. I am not averse to see him make an India comeback, but with Shikar Dhawan coming good again, and M Vijay showing promise that he can stick around, Sehwag's international journey may have well ended.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 14:09 GMT)

come on sehwag u gave the world the most entertaining triple hundred ever!! and that againt our Pakistani enemies!! when Sehwag is in form there is no1 better

Posted by 11_Warrior on (March 18, 2014, 14:08 GMT)

Sorry but you will have proove your self Viru. Once again.

Posted by CaughtAndBowled on (March 18, 2014, 14:02 GMT)

Make no mistake, I am a great fan of Shewag but the ship has sailed and I don't think he is got enough of any more.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 14:02 GMT)

i l u veeru .you come bac,,

Posted by harkmug on (March 18, 2014, 13:59 GMT)

Did he seriously keep referring to himself in third person during this interview?! That does not auger well for his batting, which requires some much-needed humility to introspect and fix problems. Even Sachin had to make adjustments to his game to allow him to bat well in the later stages of his career. In Dravid's "Timeless Steel" interview he referred to batsmen who "think too much" and those who "don't think at all" about their game. No points for guessing who is the former and who is in the latter.

Posted by bhushanB on (March 18, 2014, 13:56 GMT)

Sehwag.... enjoyed his batting.....the way he started almost every match in the worldcup with a four off the first ball... Destructive when on song... especially in TESTS he could quickly turn the game in your favour.... a match winner on his day... Salute you for everything you have done for the IND fan...

However with age, certain things do change..... and even the greats like Tendulkar has to curb the natural aggression, mind the field placements and make adjustments to the game, evolve and adapt.......something Sehwag failed to do in the last few years....

Chances of him getting back into the IND X1 are slim, especially since he could not perform in the domestic circuit this season..... At 35 it is difficult to make a comeback.... especially since his explosive batting is based on hand-eye co-ordination than technique... something that will decrease as days go on....

Anyhow wish him good luck. Hope he performs well in IPL and gives the audience a final glimpse of old Sehwag..

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:52 GMT)

One thing I can say about sehwag. two out of ten matches he alone can win for india. suppose if that match is final or semi final. india needs batsman like him

Posted by santhoshmuthukumaran on (March 18, 2014, 13:49 GMT)

I admire viru a lot;-) but I'm disappointed by his statement that he couldn't score this season coz it's a green track n damp outfield. Sir, if there r only flat tracks, WE DON'T NEED A VIRENDER SEHWAG for our team to win. Any batsman called Charlie chaplin could win the match for the team if it's a flat track. We need u solely coz you r a player who has played around the world and for over a decade. Such excuses from a player of ur class is disappointing. You players are the ambassadors of Indian cricket and such comments from u guys are the reason our batsmen are humiliatingly etched as flat track bullies. "Please change your attitudes for your fortunes to change."

Posted by Anubhav-the-Experience on (March 18, 2014, 13:41 GMT)

Gavaskar kept repeating through out sehwag's career that his retirement will not be easy, since he does not have a good technique, his retirement will be like sudden fall rather than like setting of sun in evening.

Posted by Reggaecricket on (March 18, 2014, 13:40 GMT)

He has scored only one 50 in the last 15 or 20 innings, is 35 years old and up against a lot of youthful talent. If I am not mistaken, his weakness against the short, rising ball was first exposed in South Africa.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:34 GMT)

Sehwag was a total flop in ranji trophy and recently concluded vijay hazare trophy.. Its over for sehwag ,he can enjoy his IPL career now.. If sehwag needs to make a comeback ,first he should score runs at domestic level. One cannot make a comeback ,by his past record. When ganguly was dropped he performed well at ranji and made a comeback..

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:33 GMT)

Really India need his services now. Let him get the form again hope to see you in team soon.

Posted by PlaneTruth on (March 18, 2014, 13:32 GMT)

Who can forget those triple centuries and many other amazing moments that Viru gave us during his distinguished career. Cheers Viru! We are proud of you.

Posted by Fan1969 on (March 18, 2014, 13:29 GMT)

I always loved Viru. He was the one who could attract crowds even in a Test match with his flair. I loved him dominating the bowling. I thought he will break Gavaskar TEST OPENER records. I told him so in a chance meeting. It was not to be. Firstly, I think Viru must accept that his reactions have slowed down. He was never for great footwork or technique. Secondly, he must also accept that he wears glasses and his eyesight is not as sharp as before.

We all age and it is time for him to understand that the road in international cricket is over. He deserves a farewell match/series but coming back to intl cricket looks tough.

I agree with many comments that Rohit is unimpressive except that 4 week period in India around Nov 2013.

Indian cricket needs a Rohit in form not a Sehwag replacing Rohit in hope that Sehwag will perform.

Thanks Viru for the great entertainment. Kudos to your style of batting that is still to be emulated in Test cricket. Your strike rate in TESTS is unbeatable!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:28 GMT)

i think he is not been handled nicely by BCCI or MSD, yes he has some extra weight but it can be sorted if they give some extra attention to him, still there is no opener like him in the world cricket, as a Pak fan, i would have him in my team any day even in this kind of form because every one knows he can win the test matches single handedly, and plus, if you have Viru in the team, opposition will make some extra effort and will do extra planing to get rid of viru alone, and thats what you need from the opposition

Posted by Mythh on (March 18, 2014, 13:26 GMT)

Good Luck Viru :) hope you get ur form back to the Indian Team, Indian cricket Needs you badly.

Posted by class9ryan on (March 18, 2014, 13:25 GMT)

Kings XI will hope that he at least sets up the tone for them at the top of the order. I think even if he wins 2-3 games for them, he's probably done his job. Good luck, Viru.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:25 GMT)

Confident to see you soon with India jersey....your attitude towards game speaks it all, nothing to prove....

Posted by Siva_Bala75 on (March 18, 2014, 13:24 GMT)

Viruuuuuuuuu....Please use this IPL. Come back please!!!!

Posted by Kirk_Levin on (March 18, 2014, 13:15 GMT)

it's difficult to regain ur form once you are at that age. takes longer and the player is no longer the same. fans might want him back into the side for nostalgic reasons but he is past it. move on.

Posted by Nampally on (March 18, 2014, 13:12 GMT)

Sehwag was the best aggressive Indian openers India ever had in its history. Sehwag at his best was also one of the best opening batsmen in the World. But his dramatic fall from "Peak to Valley" has ruined his long term standing irreparably! The only way from this valley is UP! He has to prove his Form, Fitness & performance by scoring centuries NOT be consistent failures even in Local matches. Sehwag has to get fit first & sharpen up his footwork by losing about 30 Lbs. in weight & sharpening up his speed. The best way for him is to follow the path of ZAK & Yuvraj took by visiting the same fitness centre in France. Unless he takes that step & gets 100% FIT, continuing his career ambitions are just a dream! The rebuff from his own team Delhi Daredevils is more than unfair;. He has to take that seriously & work on his Fitness & performance . He has to walk the Talk by letting his bat do the talking for him whether it be in IPL. ODI or Ranji . India needs "OLD Sehwag NOW"!

Posted by espncricinfomobile on (March 18, 2014, 13:12 GMT)

India should burst SEHWAG dynamite in WC 2015

Posted by Great_Lion on (March 18, 2014, 13:09 GMT)

Ridiculous indian management put this high quality player into this position.He deserved more than this.Yes, He failed in last few matches but now almost a one year he left out in a team.I'm okay with tour or two but one year is too much.Feel for you shewag.You always score runs against we sri lankans. we used to hate you but true is we all love you with our bottom of heart.Keep trying shewag .you are amazing cricketer and cricketing world miss you so much.

Posted by Sir_Ivor on (March 18, 2014, 13:09 GMT)

Viru needs to lose any extra weight that he may be carrying first. Once he does that everything will fall in place. He was always very athletic even if one cannot imagine him doing those scraping saves that the youngsters do so often these days. His batting will then need some renewed self belief. A good IPL season could restore that. Then probably a big innings against one of the big teams will ensure that he gets the 3 years that he is talking about. The thing is he was a key part of a great Indian batting lineup. Whether he can recapture that form solo remains a question that I am not sure I have the answer to. The sad part is that he can only come good if he has Dhoni's backing. That is a big doubt.

Posted by Haleos on (March 18, 2014, 13:06 GMT)

Good luck Viru. Even is Viru bats left handed he can be better than out of sorts Vijayi.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 13:02 GMT)

its time up for sehwag, forget about age, he is out of form & he has to play exceptionally well to get a place in team. Its not that we r not missing him, but time for India to look ahead towards newer generation. Dhawan- Rohit combination has done well overall in odi, in test matches too we need to give some time to dhawan-vijay. We are still in a process of building a team for WC-2015, under testing conditions of Australia. Test series against Eng & Aus before WC will probably help India to find the correct combination in all formats of game.

Posted by Haleos on (March 18, 2014, 13:02 GMT)

DD deserve to loose for treating viru in such a way. Buying DK for 12.5 Cr is silly given that they have another more powerful keeper.

Posted by venuvinod on (March 18, 2014, 13:01 GMT)

Virendra Sehwag is far better than current openers, i hope he will make a strong statement for his comeback. No selector will make mistake of leaving an explosive player like Sehwag, he plays in his own way, and sometimes no bowler can stop him, which ultimately lead to India's success

Posted by mikemaj1 on (March 18, 2014, 12:59 GMT)

I agree... what you have to lose... you are losing anyway. May be this is what India and Sehwag need. A shot in the arm.. may be it will sparkle the flame...

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:55 GMT)

You comeback to Team India or not, U will be STAR and one of best openers in modern cricket. Wish u all the best for IPL and future.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 12:55 GMT)

also bring back zak, bhajji and irfan in all formats

Posted by cad76 on (March 18, 2014, 12:52 GMT)

he shouldn't have quit bowling.... he entered the team as all-rounder... his bowling could have helped him play little longer, move down the order in ODI team... its 'bowling' bcos of which Afridi is still there in the team, and can play few cameos here and there.... and sometimes win games for his country...

Posted by David_Boon on (March 18, 2014, 12:49 GMT)

Pretty sure a 'two year run of bad form' just means that he isn't very good anymore.

Posted by rohan024 on (March 18, 2014, 12:49 GMT)

i would still pick him over our highly acclaimed tulented opener

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:45 GMT)

Mark my words KXIP will be one of the strongest teams this year in IPL. Sehwag will return and will do so in style. Go Viru!!

Posted by Iceman29 on (March 18, 2014, 12:42 GMT)

At present he is way better than Nohit Sharma...atleast Sehwag creates a sense of fear among the opposition when he is in the team...Rohit only generates confidence among the opposition...

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 12:37 GMT)

you need not prove again your records speak for you....wish sehwag a great ipl season

Posted by Hemu57 on (March 18, 2014, 12:37 GMT)

Sehwag can be taken out of team india, but not his records and runs. His 219 in ODI and 319 in tests are really incredible.

Posted by Ajay_999 on (March 18, 2014, 12:36 GMT)

Green wickets? If India had green wickets many bowlers wud have been encouraged and wud have done well. Looks like he's just find in excuses. He is a break player, no doubt, but good batsmen don't complain bout green wickets, esp not in india

Posted by Qa_ankit on (March 18, 2014, 12:35 GMT)

I think one for the last time will see all of our fav players. I dont know why but i think Gambhir and Sehwag combination will be back. So will see Yuvi back in ODI. I might would not wanted sehwag for ODI's but for test and T-20, he will become must. I can see him in 2015 world cup for sure.. I know i am stating too early but for right now my team would be for WC is: Openers: Sehwag, Gambhir,Dhawan (No Raw-hit) Middle: Kohli, Yuvraj, Rehna, Dhoni, Raina. Allrounder: Jadeja, Ashwin and one more(May be rishi dhawan or anyone else depending on their fate in coming series.) Bowlers: Bhuvi, Shami, Varun/Umesh + 1 more fast bowler. This will be good young + experience side. We have seen Dhawan and Rohit subbishly struggling against seaming pitches like N.Zea and S.Afr. Hence i will give for sure one chance two both of our experienced openers.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:35 GMT)

Love you Viru,..!! Please comeback ASAP... World is waiting for your batting..

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:35 GMT)

I dont wanna discourage myself or every other Sehwag fan, but I seriously want a match and farewell him. Because we all loved his style of destroying world class bowlers but I'm sure we don't wanna watch him struggling against even middle class bowlers. So Sehwag! thanks for your memories and say GoodBye. I'm damn sure there will be no other Sehwag aqain. No one can replace your shoes and can give the impact the way you gave India.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 12:34 GMT)

sehwag very attacking always try to hit from the first ball

Posted by SJoshi22 on (March 18, 2014, 12:34 GMT)

what!!!!!!!! maybe its time to play Kapil Dev then

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:34 GMT)

he is one of a kind and v ol hope that he will play for india in coming 2015 world cup

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:32 GMT)

Sehwag will retain his place.

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 12:31 GMT)

he's real match winner for india....

Posted by Dalena on (March 18, 2014, 12:31 GMT)

Want to see you playing ODIS,Test and T20 for India , Hope you come back soon, India Needs Opening Batsman like You.. Wish you Good Luck.. India Cant win 2015 WC in Aus/Nz with Super opening batsmen who takes 20 balls to score 5 Runs, INDIA Needs YOU!!!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:30 GMT)

Viru Bhai-I'm Waiting....

Posted by android_user on (March 18, 2014, 12:29 GMT)

yes viru........you are the only Indian who hit triple centuries...... you are the legendary opener of Team India.......you are the best.......

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:29 GMT)

Come on Sehwag,get some runs and to the test team.We need to see you play again for India.Love those square cuts,cover drives,and straight drives.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:28 GMT)

Viru Bhai I'm Waiting....

Posted by suripsg on (March 18, 2014, 12:27 GMT)

Now I am Kings XI fan thanks to Sehwag..!!! #ExDareDevil

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:24 GMT)

Sehwag is always a great opener. select sehwag. form is temparary. some people disturbed him mentally.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:23 GMT)

that's the spirit and we hope he do well and make a bashing comeback in team INDIA ...will rock

Posted by rappedonthepads on (March 18, 2014, 12:23 GMT)

Go Viru! With 2 triple centuries and a near 3rd, he certainly doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Genuine entertainer and the world of cricket is poorer in his absence.

Posted by Ankit_Kaparuwan on (March 18, 2014, 12:22 GMT)

Wishful thinkin..but would have been great if he could come back as the Viru we knew...terrorise the bowlers into submission and then b given a farewell dat a legend like him deserves..

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:18 GMT)

pick him ! way better than RG Sharma and Dhawan !

Posted by   on (March 18, 2014, 12:13 GMT)

Sehwaaaaag !!! sehwaaaaaaaaag !! Thanks For the memories !! :)

Posted by JJAbraham on (March 18, 2014, 12:08 GMT)

Hope he fires this IPL!! I've always loved his style of batting...

Nagraj GollapudiClose