Mumbai Indians v Rajasthan Royals, IPL 2012, Mumbai April 12, 2012

Attacking Malinga a mistake - Owais Shah

ESPNcricinfo staff

Rajasthan Royals batsman Owais Shah says his decision to attack Mumbai Indians fast bowler Lasith Malinga during their match on Wednesday was a "mistake". Shah was bowled by a Malinga yorker in the bowler's penultimate over and his dismissal left Royals needing 64 off 35 balls. They fell 27 short

Royals, who were chasing 198, had lost their way at the start with Rahul Dravid falling for 3 and Shreevats Goswami without scoring. Shah kept the chase going by attacking the Mumbai Indians bowlers from the start but was dismissed in the 15th over. Royals eventually went on to suffer their first defeat of the season.

"I made a mistake by not playing out Lasith Malinga, who is very dangerous," Shah said after the game. "I didn't have to play too many shots against him. Maybe I should have stuck around and seen Malinga off and then tried to attack the other bowlers. Malinga has a lethal yorker. I made a mistake and I'm quite happy to hold my hand up and say - next time I won't make that mistake.

"At the end of the day we didn't win, so my efforts were useless. I tried my best to get the team to win the game and to get the team as close as possible. But the best players take you all the way, so something that was missing was the finishing touch."

Shah is playing for Royals this year after having been part of Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Daredevils and KochiTuskers Kerala in previous IPL seasons. However, this is the first time Shah has had a regular run in the XI, having been on the bench regularly in previous years. He's scored 14 not out, 23 not out and 76 in three innings for Royals.

"This is the first time I've had much of a chance, this is the first time I've played in an IPL team. I actually feel like I'm having a proper run in a side now," Shah said. "I didn't really play for Delhi , when I was there, I played four games for Kolkata Knight Riders. I played three games for Kochi last year, so I've hardly played."

Royals have played three matches in IPL 2012, winning their first two before losing to Mumbai Indians at Wankhede Stadium.

• dummy4fb on April 15, 2012, 14:12 GMT

I hope he makes his way back into the english side... considering his form, I would not be surprised he actally does soon. He is among the current few english batsman who hit the bally cleanly...

• Kyle_Jones235 on April 14, 2012, 13:31 GMT

Wow a guy has one bad series and everyone saying he plays bad for his country? What about the countless other times he has won matches for SL? Do you just forget about that? Even really good bowlers go out of form from time to time, and that is what happened. Malinga will be back in future ODI/t20 series.

• dummy4fb on April 14, 2012, 5:58 GMT

Sri Lankan should proud of Malinga. I am not agree with that he is underperforming when playing for SL. He is the only bowler with three hatrics with a worldcup double hatirc (4 wickets). All have good series and bad. CB is a bad series for him. Lets be fair. He is a human. Not a super human

• 50_20 on April 13, 2012, 18:32 GMT

against mumbai indians you can afford 4 overs with 5 or 6 runs that of Malinga and attack the rest of the ballers.

• dummy4fb on April 13, 2012, 14:16 GMT

m really happy tht shah has realized his mistake....well played shah u always a hero....gud luck

• vinayjayaram on April 13, 2012, 12:48 GMT

Well played Owais and RR..Hallo Bol..even though you lost, we are proud of you..

• Test-is-the-best on April 13, 2012, 11:45 GMT

Malinga is a match winner for MI. Not for his country...

• vivekjagan on April 13, 2012, 8:54 GMT

@ravi menon one can easily say that malinga has not shown dis much enthusiasm while playing for sl..he retired stating his injury concern frm tests fr ipl..and i ve never seen malinga bowling many yorkers as he normally does fr mumbai indians...he s a good player but ipl comes first fr him ,..even sl players know dis

• dummy4fb on April 13, 2012, 8:48 GMT

Absolute Correct Mr Shah!! He Is The Deadly Srilankan!! Well Played Shah!!

• ravimenon on April 13, 2012, 8:15 GMT

I dont know why my fellow SRI LANKANS are upset with Malinga. Lanka's most of the ODI and T20 wins were provided by Malinga/Murali and to a certain extent Vaas. In fact more than their batsman. Except may be last CB series where he was a bit below par but still better than other Sri Lankan bowlers. This is like Indian blaming Sachin for India's loss. Indian normally say when Sachin scores century India loss, But they never look to statistics. Indian won 53 matches of sachin's 100 matches and lost only about 25. Same is the case of Malinga, He is realy match winner for Sri Lanka and he is the only match winning bowler in Lanka. Other bowlers win odd matches but not regularly. When Murali was there, there was no doubt about Lank's capability in winning matches in Lanaka. But now, the present Australian team, England are all winning. At least when Malinga is there they have a chance in ODI & T20

• No featured comments at the moment.