Kenya cricket

Odumbe continues to dream as ban ends

Cricinfo staff

August 28, 2009

Text size: A | A

Cricket Kenya has confirmed that Maurice Odumbe's five-year ban for associating with a known bookmaker is now at an end, but chief executive Samir Inamdar has poured cold water over suggestions that Odumbe could return to the national side.

Odumbe, 40, told journalists that he was "relieved and a bit relaxed" and that he could "concentrate playing again for the country".

While Inamdar said he wished Odumbe every success, he made clear to Cricinfo the team was building for the future and that meant looking at youngsters and not back to the past.

"He's not played competitively for five years and clearly needs to impress the selectors before being reconsidered," Inamdar said. "Our emphasis is to look to the future and Maurice's past record, impressive as it is, does not constitute an automatic passport to selection."

Odumbe is not likely to have helped his chances by springing up in the local media from time to time to criticise the board. Nor has he shown any remorse for his actions, still maintaining his innocence. "Even though a big chunk of my life has been taken away, I cannot be vengeful," he said earlier this month. "I have forgiven the people who made me suffer."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Related Links
Country Fixtures Country Results
No fixtures scheduled
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days