Snappy Q&As with the players

Ajmal Shahzad

'When I was younger I used to bowl like Shoaib'

Grilled-chicken fiend Ajmal Shahzad is quite the mimic when it comes to other bowlers

Interview by Myles Hodgson

June 4, 2012

Ajmal Shahzad bowls for the England Lions against Sri Lanka, England Lions v Sri Lankans, Tour match, Derby, May 20, 2011
Ajmal Shahzad: not a fan of going 50mph © Getty Images
News : Shahzad to join Lancashire
Players/Officials: Ajmal Shahzad

You have just moved from your native Yorkshire to Lancashire on loan. There were several other counties interested in you, so why did you choose Lancashire?
There were a few reasons. Glen Chapple has been on the top of his game for the last few years and I want to learn as much as I can off him before he decides to call it a day. I wanted to work with Peter Moores as well. I've heard rave reviews about him as a coach and hopefully he can help develop my game.

Presumably moving to Lancashire meant you also didn't have to travel far from where you live?
Locality was also important. I didn't want to be travelling up and down the country or moving about too much. I just wanted to go somewhere and start playing some cricket. I'm on the road a bit now, travelling from Yorkshire, staying in hotels, and the odd night with Ashwell Prince. It's different but I'm enjoying it and I've just got to embrace it.

How are you finding all the roadworks on the M62 motorway from Yorkshire to Old Trafford that have reduced the speed to 50mph for many miles?
It's an absolute nightmare. You're cruising at around 70mph and then you get miles and miles of 50mph and it takes you ages to get through it. If we're training, I have to set off from Yorkshire at 6.30am just so I can get there for 8.30am and start training at 9am, but you've just got to get on with it.

How easy has it been to fit into a new dressing room?
I thought it would be a tricky period for me, trying to fit in with the boys, but it happened seamlessly. I've got a few friends here, Saj Mahmood being one of the main ones, and that allowed me to fit straight in. The three days we had rained off down in Sussex [before Shahzad's debut] allowed me to get to know the rest of the squad.

What has the crowd reaction from Lancashire fans been towards you, bearing in mind the great rivalry with Yorkshire?
I got a really good reception from the crowd on my home debut at Old Trafford. My first over went well, so they clapped me in and then I bowled a wide or a no-ball and then a few more wides and they were on my back and gave me abuse! That sort of thing also used to happen at Yorkshire, but I had credit in the bank there and hopefully I can do that here.

Fans at your drawn Championship match against Middlesex at Aigburth saw you change your action for part of the final day. Why was that?
I have a natural inswinger, so when the ball reverses, I swing it away. If I want to get a Waqar Younis-type inswinging yorker when it's reversing, I have to get a bit more slingy in my action, and that's what I tried on the final day against Middlesex. It was such a placid wicket and they were 150-odd for one, so I thought "anything goes here", and the boys were happy for me to do it.

"I think I can bowl like Muttiah Muralitharan and I'm getting decent at it now. I keep saying to Glen Chapple that he should let me try it in a game!"

Some people said you looked like Shoaib Akhtar...
The boys were telling me to bowl like Shoaib Akhtar, so that's what I was trying. It got to the phase of the game where you were allowed to do what you wanted to do and it was good to just go out and enjoy your cricket.

What other cricketers can you mimic?
When I was younger I really used to bowl like Shoaib, but I had to stop because it put too much pressure on my back. I watch a lot of cricket on TV, so I must admit I've tried bowling like people in the nets. I think I can bowl like Muttiah Muralitharan, and I'm getting decent at it now. I keep saying to Glen Chapple that he should let me try it in a game! Adil Rashid at Yorkshire is brilliant at bowling like Saeed Ajmal in the nets - I used to get him to bowl at me like that so I could practise against it.

What are you like at other sports?
I played badminton for Yorkshire from Under-15s to Under-17s, but again, it wasn't really doing my back much good, so I had to give it up once I took up cricket seriously. I was good at squash and racket sports in general. I'm not really one for going out on the golf course. I tried to get into it but I'd rather put my feet up on a day off. You rarely get days off, and now that I'm on the move it's even worse.

What music do you like?
I like my dance music but I haven't managed to influence the boys in the Lancashire dressing room at the moment. Steven Croft is the DJ man, so I'm just letting him get on with it, see how he gets on and then I can try and introduce a few of my tunes.

What are you like at cooking and what can you cook?
I'm not very domesticated at all. I know this sounds really lame but I've just started doing boiled eggs and things like that. I can do potatoes but I'm not really a cook.

Anybody who follows you on Twitter will know that you eat at Nando's a lot. What's so good about it?
I'm at Nando's most of the time, which I get a lot of abuse for on Twitter, with people telling me I should branch out to other places. I just love it in there. I can get my grilled chicken with rice or whatever, and it's healthy too. A lot of cricketers go - I think we should get a loyalty card going because we spend enough money there! When I stay with Ashwell and we talk about what we're going to eat, he says to me, "I know what you're thinking", because he knows I want to go to Nando's.

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 7, 2012, 11:01 GMT)

@yorkshirematt - thanks for the update, I had no idea. Shame but understandable.

Posted by Mel-waas on (June 6, 2012, 17:38 GMT)

Maybe he means he used to 'Bowl like Shoaib Malik' ;) before Shoaib Malik corrected his action

Posted by yorkshirematt on (June 5, 2012, 15:28 GMT)

@Randy oz Yes, there have been some great Ashes tests up here (you know which one I'm on about) ;) However yorkshire have decided not to bid for Ashes tests until 2019 in exchange for a guaranteed test match against other opposition every year (next year it's NZ in May, this year SA) They took a big risk hosting the Pak v Aus test a couple of years ago, but the crowds were disappointing. Of course this lost the club a lot of money so they had to take this decision. I don't know quite how it works but by the sounds of it counties have to bid more money to host the Ashes than for any other test series. Back to Shahzad again and I'm watching him on Sky in the CB40 and it's the usual mix of rubbish, wides and the odd unplayable yorker or bouncer

Posted by   on (June 5, 2012, 13:54 GMT)

@PunchDrunkPunter , unfortunately if that were true, he would have become better then your first 6 choices lol.

Posted by   on (June 5, 2012, 11:48 GMT)

@phil Mimicking action doesnt really mean Mimicking class too..think over it

Posted by   on (June 5, 2012, 9:42 GMT)

If you really can bowl like Muralitheran, why don't you do that and get 800 test wickets instead of bowling like Shazad! ;)

Posted by SRHaider on (June 5, 2012, 6:17 GMT)

@Awais374.... in the UK there are Halal Nandos as well. There is a Halal sign usually on the main door of the restaurant.

Posted by Awais374 on (June 5, 2012, 2:30 GMT)

Hey Nando's s not HALAL is it ?

Posted by   on (June 4, 2012, 22:08 GMT)

This guy seems like he lacks focus and is going to waste his talent. Has he got a mentor? Has he explored doing a season Down Under? If he can get coaching from the England camp by being a contender, he will find he will improve leaps and bounds. Just look at Bresnan, he is seriously fast now. If you're serious about your work, and dislike the long commute, then rent a place in Manchester. Would love to see you succeed, please think ahead.

Posted by FreddyForPrimeMinister on (June 4, 2012, 22:01 GMT)

The guy's got stacks of talent and I really thought he might make it when he played that first game for England. It's a shame there was something about his attitude that prevented him from moving onto the next level but as a Lancastrian, and for his own sake, I hope Moores and Chapple will help him to harness all that ability and make him the best he can possibly be. The signs so far are quite promising - and his knock with Kyle Hogg to win the game against Durham was a top effort. Keep putting the effort in, Ajmal and your rewards will follow!

Posted by PunchDrunkPunter on (June 4, 2012, 18:29 GMT)

So England's 7th choice quick is as good as Shoaib Akhtar. Shows our depth!

Posted by Munkeymomo on (June 4, 2012, 18:06 GMT)

@Ahmed Hussain: Neither is he as quick as Shoaib either.

Posted by gullycover on (June 4, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

Best of luck Shahzad.. You focus on your game and dont worry about the distractions. You will make your way back into English team soon.. There is no question about talent or skills - you got all of them.. Just work hard and focus.. Remember, when the going gets tough then the tough gets going.. A day will come when kids will want to bowl like Ajmal Shahzad :)

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 4, 2012, 14:35 GMT)

@yorkshirematt - fair enough mate. You must be pretty devastated about no Headingly test next year? I know I am! One of my favourite ground in England.

Posted by getsetgopk on (June 4, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

Now i know why York threw him out.

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (June 4, 2012, 13:21 GMT)

How typical of an English seamer to worry about being exposed by speed cameras ..

Posted by yorkshirematt on (June 4, 2012, 12:41 GMT)

@ randy oz Me too. Feel free to fire away at will with criticism for this guy. Shoaib Akhtar and Waqar Younis indeed? I don't remember them bowling many long hops and full tosses. Hope he's enjoying the "freedom" and "team spirit" at lancs (see BBC article from last Tuesday) and is looking forward to his return home in a few weeks for the T20. Hope Chappel sticks him in the deep in front of the Western Terrace all game, then we'll see how much he likes him.

Posted by   on (June 4, 2012, 12:00 GMT)

He's actually a very quick bowler you guys but definitely not better than Akhter.

Posted by roarster on (June 4, 2012, 11:08 GMT)

"Adil Rashid at Yorkshire is brilliant at bowling like Saeed Ajmal in the nets" ?? It's not like the English coaching set up to miss a trick, but his presence on the training ground in the UAE might have saved messrs Bell, Pietersen etc a world of hurt and embarrassment.

Posted by   on (June 4, 2012, 10:19 GMT)

You can get a loyalty card at Nando's Ajmal...

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 4, 2012, 9:51 GMT)

Is this article a joke? I certainly got a good laugh out of it.

Posted by _faraz on (June 4, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

Best of luck Ajmal. This shift will open new doors of success for you.

Posted by   on (June 4, 2012, 3:59 GMT)

Good luck Ajmal. Hope you do well and take plenty of wickets for Lancashire this season.

FeedbackTop

The choking problem

Martin Crowe: If they are to live up to their potential in next year's World Cup at home, New Zealand need to look within

Impressing Viv and Greg

Five Firsts: Former Pakistan batsman Haroon Rasheed on the compliments he received, and his admiration for Gavaskar

Still plenty of ifs for Butt

Rob Steen: Salman Butt insists players should refrain from "wrongdoing" but that shouldn't gain him back the trust of those he duped

Outside the Grace Gate

Shot Selection: You think MCC members have it easy when it comes to watching a Test at Lord's? Think again

The weary middle age of cricket

Dave Hawksworth: On the field the action is youthful and thrilling, but off it, there's soul-crushing self-interest, with each board trying to outdo the other in incompetence

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation

Fifty for the pantheon

What if you had to narrow all of cricket greatness down to 50 names?

'I love to take batsmen on'

Wahab Riaz, the Pakistan left-arm quick, on the pain of missing out on a ten-for, and his love for numbers and batting