Suresh Raina November 29, 2012

'I'm tired of being asked who I am dating'

But ask him to sing to you or to wear a red blazer over his yellow Chennai jersey, and Suresh Raina will oblige

Define pressure with an example.
I have never handled a pressure situation like the 2011 World Cup quarter-final against Australia in Ahmedabad. I had not played the first six matches during the group stages but I knew I would get my chance. It was a crucial game, which we had to do well in, and against a team who do well in pressure-filled situations. I told myself I had to deliver and I told Yuvi [Yuvraj Singh] that. Our 74-run partnership won the match. That game changed my whole life.

What makes MS Dhoni angry?
He does not get angry often but he'll tell you in plain words if you misfield or don't do what is expected of you. In a match in the 2010 IPL, I was not finishing well. He told me that he, Badrinath and I were the key to finishing matches. He said it wasn't his job to come and tell me each time what to do. He told me that no matter what I do, I should try and stick around till the final over. It made me understand the captain's faith in me and reinforced my confidence.

You come from Uttar Pradesh, a place famous for its kebabs. What is the best place to have them?
Tunde Ka Kebab in Lucknow. One of the best in Asia. Right from my hostel days I have been a fan of their amazing kebabs and roomali rotis and parathas. My family members are vegetarians but I like mutton and chicken seekh kebabs.

Can you cook?
I learned at the sports hostel in Lucknow, where we had to cook for our seniors. During the Zimbabwe tour a few years back, Ashok Dinda and I cooked for the squad. I was the captain then and it was a nice way to mingle with the players off the field.

Tell us a secret about yourself.
I sing really well, my friends say. I don't like my voice, but I sang on stage during the Sahara awards a few years ago, so I don't mind singing.

Why don't you play the switch hit?
I do not know how to play it. It is a tough shot to play. I stick to the tried and tested. A few years ago, I tried the Mongoose bat that Matthew Hayden had made popular, but I couldn't get the same feel and confidence I get when I play with my regular bats.

"I have really enjoyed batting down the order even if though it's very difficult to succeed in those positions. Apart from Yuvraj, Dhoni and I, not many have done well in those positions"

What's your big weakness?
I am very emotional. I have hardly spent time with my family since I moved to boarding school when I was very young. I was struggling at that point, but thanks to Dilip Vengsarkar and Praveen Amre, who helped me during my teenage years, I settled down. Life in the hostel taught me how to stay strong and disciplined. Coming from a middle-class family, we never imagined I would rise to such heights. But my family's support and the timely guidance of a few helped me a lot.

If you had to design a blazer to go with your Chennai jersey, what colour would you pick?
Manchester United colours.

Who is your favourite cricket commentator?
Ravi Shastri and Nasser Hussain.

What is the one umpiring decision you would like to get reversed?
In West Indies, during the 2011 tour, I was wrongly given out twice. In Barbados, over dinner, Rahul bhai, Laxman bhai and Dhoni spoke about the challenge of batting on a bouncy pitch. I was batting well in the first innings when I was wrongly given out by Asad Rauf. The ball from Devendra Bishoo clearly hit my thigh pad and was caught by Adrian Barath [at short leg]. Rauf told me he suspected it had also hit the glove, but the replays showed it hadn't. I was in good form and missed out on a century.

Only three centuries in 151 ODIs. Does that give you sleepless nights?
Not really, considering I walk in as No. 6 or 7. Look at Michael Hussey - he has only three tons in 185 ODIs. When batting lower down, you are never sure how long you will get to bat. But I have really enjoyed batting down the order, even if though it's very difficult to succeed in those positions. Apart from Yuvraj, Dhoni and I, not many have done well in those positions.

What one question should the media be banned from asking you?
Who I am dating. They should keep away from my personal life.

Is there a match from the past where you wanted to be the player who turned the game on its head?
Brian Lara's 400 against England.

A sledge you cannot forget?
In 2006 we played Australia in a DLF Cup match in Kuala Lumpur. I was only 20 then. Hayden challenged me by saying, "Look mate, you are too young to face Brett Lee, since it might require certain skillsets." I immediately got two fours in a row against Lee, followed by a six against [Andrew] Symonds. I reminded Hayden of the incident during our time at Chennai Super Kings and we shared a good laugh.

Do you collect anything?
I like to keep most of my bats. I think I have about 250 bats, including my first - which cost Rs 2000 - a gift from my dad in 1998, when I moved to the hostel.

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

• indianpunter on December 2, 2012, 13:41 GMT

stay away from test cricket, mate. T-20 is your game, where the ball is not allowed to come about the waist.

• on November 30, 2012, 16:58 GMT

Please open an inning Raina..

• on November 30, 2012, 15:01 GMT

my favorite player he is......is way of hitting sixes is spectacular....never forget..the leading score in ipl and only man to play all the ipl matches......he might would have got 10-12 ceturies if he batted higher up the order....game changer in real sense!!

• US_Indian on November 29, 2012, 20:26 GMT

I would definitely put him above guys like Ravinder Jadeja, Rohit Sharma on any given day in any format. If he is not contributing with the bat, he can do it with the ball and if not both then he compensates with his brilliant fielding which no one can discount or ignore. As some respected international allrounder and successful coach mentioned during a brief casual chat, when i asked him what would you do differently when you are offered a job of a cheif coach or cheif selector of indian team, he said #1. I would pick the best fielders, which includes close in and thsoe who patrol the outfield, not just fielding but will check their reflexes and catching which includes anticipation, reaction and courage. #2. among them i will divide into 3 groups, a batting (openers & middle orders), bowling (spin & pace) and allrounders who can walk into any team purely on any one of those strengths. #3. Mix and match them according to the teams needs. #4. groom , motivate, observe the performances.

• Nampally on November 29, 2012, 18:37 GMT

Sounds like Raina is a modest young man. Grg Chappell touted him very highly. He did well in batting but never quite rose to the heights expected of him.Now he is more or less the Emporer of T-20 & ODI's. He is a batsman with one of the best S/R. He is an outstanding fielder - the best amongst all Indian Cricketers. In fielding alone he saves about 30 runs. If only he had better defence he would have been the best batsman in the Indian Test team.

• on November 29, 2012, 18:21 GMT

just sway or duck the bouncer man, like steve waugh did and look what he became.

• on November 29, 2012, 17:48 GMT

There is something about Raina. I have a gut feeling, that he will make it big. The kind of attitude he has will make up for his shortcomings in technique.

@ KiwiRocker - Have I ever heard a good word about India from you? Well, I guess you need to come to India's pages, as nothing much positive happens in you part of the world....and I dont mean in NZ ;-)

• ashok16 on November 29, 2012, 17:47 GMT

I would have liked to ask him if he thinks there are performance enhancing illegal substances being used in cricket. And whether testing should be stricter.

• jb633 on November 29, 2012, 17:25 GMT

One of the worst Indian batsmen in recent times. He epitomises everything that is wrong with the modern Indian side. With the classy players India had in 2000-10 they had players with guts and determination. Not blokes who will back away and try and hook the ball from behind the square leg umpire, with the eyes closed of course. India need to let this guy make his money in the IPL and let the real cricketers Pujara, Kholi represent the nation. Raina, Yuvraj Ghambir are all overrated, overpaid and wasting the space for the real talent available.

• Sultan2007 on November 29, 2012, 15:54 GMT

Interesting cricketer. Has value is in T20 and ODI's on flat wickets. Great team player as well. But its tough to think of him as a batsman because he doesnt really have a defence. And lets just say, Vinod kambli played short pitch bowling at least as well as Raina if not better and with a Test record that Raina cant even dream of.....and look where he ended up. Hope Suresh does not serously look at himself as a potential Test cricketer!!!!!

• indianpunter on December 2, 2012, 13:41 GMT

• on November 30, 2012, 16:58 GMT

Please open an inning Raina..

• on November 30, 2012, 15:01 GMT

• US_Indian on November 29, 2012, 20:26 GMT

• Nampally on November 29, 2012, 18:37 GMT

• on November 29, 2012, 18:21 GMT

• on November 29, 2012, 17:48 GMT

• ashok16 on November 29, 2012, 17:47 GMT

• jb633 on November 29, 2012, 17:25 GMT

• Sultan2007 on November 29, 2012, 15:54 GMT

• Raki99 on November 29, 2012, 15:35 GMT

Wish He could Play the bouncer. Just duck man or take some on your chest.

• on November 29, 2012, 15:14 GMT

Raina over-rated ?? may be in test .. But for me he is very under-rated batsman in odi ..

• sweetspot on November 29, 2012, 14:24 GMT

The reason there is this whole under-rated vs over-rated debate here is because players like Suresh Raina represent the future, not just of Indian cricket but cricket in general. He goes at a strike rate of 140 in T-20s and that is what makes him precious - he doesn't mess around. There are still captains who believe someone must bat through a T-20 innings. How hilarious considering it is a total of 20 overs! T-20 has positively influenced ODIs and it is because of players like Raina, not those coming in from the archaic notion bank of Test cricket - Sehwag being the freaky exception. For all the cursing, which batsman playing in that low number 6 can maintain a high average? It is almost impossible. And yet, this chap has centuries in all three international formats. The only Indian batsman to have that. As we go into the future, we will see cricket richer for more and more entertaining high risk shot makers like Raina, not grafters for high individual averages.

• ProdigyA on November 29, 2012, 14:20 GMT

Nice guy and a genuine team man. I think he should stick to ODI's and T20, which he is really good at.

• Secunderabadi on November 29, 2012, 13:58 GMT

In Suresh's Test Record of the 29 innings he scored 768 runs-1 Century (on debut), 7 (50-100), 4 (20-50), 14 (below 10s including 6 (Ducks)). He has better scores in ODI though.

• jonesy2 on November 29, 2012, 12:45 GMT

my favourite indian cricketer. seems like such a great guy always happy and would be great teammate.

• on November 29, 2012, 11:59 GMT

Did he sent fire in Ranji? Indian team has become like a mafiadom Raina out Yuvraj in, Yuvraj out Sharma in and so on and so forth. I cannot believe there are no other talented batsmen out there..

• on November 29, 2012, 10:51 GMT

One of the finest fielders in Indian Cricket.. Very good player.. carries his emotions on his sleeves.. No one's happy then he is when there's a dismissal... Soft spoken.. Cute smile.. Great athleticism.. Little uncomfortable with shortish stuff but every player a loophole... One of my fav. player.. but highly under-rated idk why :(

• SouthPaw on November 29, 2012, 7:48 GMT

A genuine cricketer, with no airs or ego like Bhajji, Yuvi, etc. And, he has great work ethics, which the aforementioned don't have.

• denwarlo70 on November 29, 2012, 6:17 GMT

Most of the Indian players are overrated for that matter.

• ReverseSweepIndia on November 29, 2012, 5:31 GMT

@ Lmaotsetung, instead I think he is under-rated. Well lets understand one thing, he is not a test material. As of now not yet. But he is very good, very very good limited overs player and won many games for India. He is the kind of player who thinks always about the team first a very rare commodity in subcontinental teams.

• rnarayan on November 29, 2012, 5:02 GMT

I have to repeat this conversation I had with the late lamented ML Jaisimha, who was my club captain, guru and friend. I once asked him, how he coped with media speculation about his being a "Heartthrob", and how it affected his 'social life' in his younger days. He said " I had dinner with many people, young ladies included.. but apart from Juni (his wife) I only seriously dated my bat. And u don't mess with the things u love!" Perhaps the media was different then, but.. Perhaps there's a lesson there for all young cricketers, including those who wear the India cap.

• KiwiRocker- on November 29, 2012, 4:45 GMT

Suresh Raina is an epitomie of Indian batting line up- over rated, non performing and over hyped. Suresh Raina has been around for decade but has done nothing of note. His technique against quality fast bowlers on bowler friendly wickets is totally exposed. He was a walking wicket against England in England. I am not sure why Indian journalists keep hyping these medicore players when many promising youngesters are not finding a place in Indian team. Due to non performers like Raina, Youvraj, Gambhir, Sehwag and above all tendulya, a whole generation of Indian batsmen is lost! Suresh Raina should focus on IPL, make some quick buck and live a good life!

• Lmaotsetung on November 29, 2012, 4:12 GMT

This is like what the 3rd, 4th or 5th article about the overrated Raina?

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Lmaotsetung on November 29, 2012, 4:12 GMT

This is like what the 3rd, 4th or 5th article about the overrated Raina?

• KiwiRocker- on November 29, 2012, 4:45 GMT

• rnarayan on November 29, 2012, 5:02 GMT

• ReverseSweepIndia on November 29, 2012, 5:31 GMT

• denwarlo70 on November 29, 2012, 6:17 GMT

Most of the Indian players are overrated for that matter.

• SouthPaw on November 29, 2012, 7:48 GMT