Five Firsts Five FirstsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers on their milestones

Robiul Islam

'When Dilshan sledged me, I told him to do his job'

Bangladesh quick Robiul Islam on getting wickets verbally, and the importance of an education

Interview by Mohammad Isam

August 25, 2013

Robiul Islam bowled well with the new ball, Zimbabwe v Bangladesh, 1st Test, Harare, 1st day, April 17, 2013
Robiul Islam: likes a bit of chirp © AFP
Players/Officials: Robiul Islam
Teams: Bangladesh

First memorable sledge
I have sledged batsmen at every level, from the Satkhira leagues to first-class cricket, and I have got wickets through sledging too!

The best one I remember so far from Test cricket was in Sri Lanka earlier this year. In the second innings of the Colombo Test this year, I was sledging Dimuth Karunaratne when Tillakaratne Dilshan stepped in. He started to sledge me, and I told him to do his job. He kept doing it, every ball, when he was completing his run. I eventually had him bowled as he was trying to charge at me every ball after we started talking.

First time at Lord's
I was very nervous. I had taken 12 wickets in the three warm-up matches leading up to the Lord's Test. My confidence was high as a result, but when the team was declared the night before the game, I had trouble sleeping.

The first thought that popped into my head was that my international debut was going to be at Lord's. It was a lot of fun playing there. One look at the ground and you fall in love with it. I felt a little uneasy bowling in the first innings, because there is the famous slope on the wicket. I was very excited, but I had to overcome the feeling and get used to the slope. But the five days just slipped by.

First autograph I took
I took it for a younger brother, and it was of Mashrafe bhai [Mortaza]. It was my first autograph of an international player, and so far the only one I have taken.

First time I hit a batsman
I have hit a few since my school days, but the one I remember is hitting a guy called Rony. He used to play for Palli Mangal School and I was playing for Satkhira BN Bohumukhi High School. We were playing on a matting wicket, and when the ball struck him as he tried to fend it, it crushed his helmet and he suffered a severe head injury. He needed eight stitches afterwards.

First cricketing lesson
You have to be serious about your education. How long will a cricketer remain in the game? He has to complete his graduation for real life after he quits the game. Players get injured after a few years of service, sometimes for long periods and eventually quit the game at an early age. What do you do then, especially without proper education?

I have learned it myself, and I would like to tell all the youngsters coming through: please concentrate on your studies and play cricket alongside.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Mohammad Isam

Posted by cricfan.sv on (August 27, 2013, 14:53 GMT)

Robiul's Speed is 120kph!!!!!! R u serious??? @Perera32

Its ok man.. Its ok with 16million people of BD,dat u dont know him...bt we know him & thats enough for us!!! @Vinayak Uttarkar

Posted by M_Rakibul_Islam on (August 26, 2013, 17:59 GMT)

Hey guys, why r u bashing this bowler for sledging Dilshan? I found no arrogant or dominant tone in his comments about sledging. U all have to remember he has a short international career. So sledging Dilshan early this year may b his most memorable sledging for him so far. Nothing wrong with that. Try to pick the brighter side of his interview. I really liked what he had replied in last question.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (August 26, 2013, 15:08 GMT)

I think Robiul should have told his entire Bangladeshi team mates about doing their jobs properly. Because, it seems Bangladesh simply don't know how to win games of cricket still. And they have been around international cricket since 2000. How many games have Bangladesh won both in tests and ODIs during that time ? I could count it all with my fingers. So much to learn still Robiul.

Posted by   on (August 26, 2013, 14:54 GMT)

Has he taken wickets than Murali, Warni, McGrath or Akram, his voice like that.

Posted by ArsalanMujahidGhouri on (August 25, 2013, 23:26 GMT)

i never see such a sensible message from a cricketer (last question).

Posted by mangattu on (August 25, 2013, 21:29 GMT)

Love good cricket not this type of Useless words.We support Dilshan the way his batting and attitude.

Posted by Perera32 on (August 25, 2013, 12:28 GMT)

LOL I remember this "attempted sledge", Dilshan scored more than 50 runs after that sledge from this Robiul guy. I really doubt Dilshan lost his wicket due to Robiul sledging him. After Dilshan got out, Sri lanka only needed a couple of runs to Win the Test match and series. What a fail, Robiul seems to say this like Bangladesh won the match with his sledge. I personally don't like it when Bowlers sledge, especially when the bowler bowls at 120kph and has a bowling average of nearly 60 in ODI's.

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 11:20 GMT)

Here's a boy with his head screwed the right way on. Excellent advice about balancing sports and studies. All the very best to him.

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 10:59 GMT)

Keep it up buddy.....u r a resource of Bd cricket

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 10:40 GMT)

Islam who?

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 10:36 GMT)

Satkhira Express, continue... a fantastic test bowler in Bangladesh cricket.

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 8:14 GMT)

I read this article merely because Dilshans name was mentioned in it. With 25 wickets in all form of the game in international cricket is he trying to prove that he got the better off Dilshan with that one dismissal? or is he trying to prove that he is good at sledging with merely 25 wkts? Either way this guy needs a reality check.

Posted by   on (August 25, 2013, 7:19 GMT)

Unfortunately for Robiul he only tells half the story about sledging incident with Dilshan. SL were chasing 160 in the 4th innings and Karunarathne's wicket fell with the score on 31. Dilshan got out for 57 with the total on 125 as the second wicket with the victory assured. If Dilshan reacted to Robiul's sledging to Karunaratne, he batted for 20 overs after that. Robiul is trying to imply that Dilshan lost his wicket because of the sledging which was not so.

Posted by Rafelgibt on (August 25, 2013, 7:00 GMT)

Well done Robiul Islam...Now, keep working hard on your fitness and deliver when the country requires. I see you the future of Pace bowler of Bangladesh Cricket...

Posted by NasirBangladesh on (August 25, 2013, 5:40 GMT)

Best of Luck Bro. Go ahead. Wish you all the best and want to see you long lasting performance for Bangladesh in international arena.

Posted by yohandf on (August 25, 2013, 5:04 GMT)

love the guts of Robiul . but his sledging incident was a failure . SL were chasing a target of 160 and eventually Dilshan got out when score is 125 after having a match winning partnership with Sanga . Dilshan was 57 at that time . he should have chosen a triumph battle of sledging instead .

FeedbackTop
Mohammad IsamClose

'My kind of bowling style is gone now'

Gavin Larsen talks about wobbly seam-up, the 1992 World Cup, and his role in the next tournament

Busy keepers, and Waqar's bowleds

Ask Steven: Also, high scores and low averages in ODIs, most ducks in international cricket, and the 12-year-old Test player

When Lillee bowled offspin

Dickie Bird on what happened when he declined a request for a change of ball once

'The man who had a winning impact'

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss VVS Laxman's match-winning skills

The underutilised, and the ergonomically unpleasing

Beige Brigade: Odd bowling actions, the Onehunga Cricket Association, commentary doyens, and Mystery Morrison's Test wickets

Youngest double-centurions, and the oldest living Test players

Also, the closest ODI team match-ups, most catches in a T20, and expensive Test debut five-fors

From Constantine to Chanderpaul

As West Indies play their 500th Test, here's an interactive journey through their Test history

Soaring in the 1980s, slumping in the 2000s

In their pomp, West Indies had a 53-13 win-loss record; in their last 99, it is 16-53. That, in a nutshell, shows how steep the decline has been

The contenders to replace Ajmal

Following the bowling ban on Saeed Ajmal, ESPNcricinfo picks five bowlers Pakistan may replace him with for the time being

I got more than I expected - Shastri

ESPNcricinfo spoke to Ravi Shastri, India's new team director, after the conclusion of the tour of England, where MS Dhoni's team lost the Tests, won the ODIs and then lost the only Twenty20 international