Five Firsts Five FirstsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers on their milestones

Trevor Chappell

Lost at Lord's, pasted by Viv

Trevor Chappell on being hit through the sightscreen and other delights

Interview by Vishal Dikshit

November 9, 2013

Trevor Chappell of Australia during a training session before the sixth Test, England v Australia, The Oval, August 26, 1981
Trevor Chappell: "And then I threw the ball up and it went miles away" © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Trevor Chappell | Keith Miller
Teams: Australia

First catch
One of the first catches I can remember was not quite a catch. It was a fielding accident I had at the start of the second season of grade cricket I played. I was on the boundary and this guy called Peter Sincock was bowling - the brother of David Sincock, who played for Australia in the '60s. He bowled a full toss, which the batsman, a left-hander, hit up just behind square leg and towards deep midwicket. I was running in to catch it and we had a substitute fielder on, who was fielding for Ian [Chappell]. He was running back and we crashed. We both got to a point where we had to dive to get to the ball. We smashed our heads together and broke our noses. I can remember up to the point when I dived forward. I don't remember after that for quite a few minutes.

First time I was praised on the field
It was for a catch I took for New South Wales against Western Australia in the Shield final in 1982-83. I took quite a good catch to get Graeme Wood out right at the start of the second innings for nought. And then I threw the ball up and it went miles away and I was running after the ball and everybody was running after me, yelling and screaming, "Son, come back."

First memory of Lord's
There was an awkward way to get out onto the ground from the change room. It was very easy to get lost, and quite often new players did get lost because you had to come down the stairs and then through the Long Room and out the front door. If you didn't quite know where to go, it was very easy to go the wrong way.

First embarrassing moment on the field
Apart from the underarm incident, I remember bowling to Viv Richards at the SCG when West Indies were playing New South Wales. The wicket was right on the members' side of the square and the sightscreen didn't quite go far enough, so they put an extra piece of canvas up there and Viv hit one ball that went straight through the canvas. It was pretty embarrassing to get hit through the sightscreen.

First cricket hero
I think Keith Miller. My father also loved Keith - he was born in the same year as Keith - and Ian always loved Keith as a cricketer and for being an allrounder, being a flamboyant hero, which he was for a lot of young Australian lads right through the 1950s, '60s, '70s.

Vishal Dikshit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Vishal Dikshit

Posted by Clavers on (November 11, 2013, 1:36 GMT)

@wch77 Remember, he grew up in the shadow of not one but two more accomplished older brothers, plus a cricketing grandfather, all three of whom served as Australian captain and were renowned for giving no quarter. It would be interesting if the interviewer asked Trevor how many insults he received in cricket before he got his first compliment ;)

Posted by   on (November 10, 2013, 23:26 GMT)

Poor Trevor, I thought he was more than just a good cricketer and deserved a better than he got.

Posted by dieseldoc on (November 10, 2013, 7:30 GMT)

i remember Trevor for his unlucky test runout..a drive touched bowlers hand and Trev was backing up a bit far.. ball hit stumps...his last test...under rated cricketer

Posted by Rag-Aaron on (November 10, 2013, 6:00 GMT)

@wch77 In those days real men didn't give praise.

Posted by popcorn on (November 10, 2013, 2:22 GMT)

To this day, he and Greg Chappell are living it down,but i do not think either of them should be crucified or feel repentant. Look at it from Greg Chappell's point of view - he played to win,and an underarm delivery was a legal delivery then. There are worse sporting incidents in Cricket History - like Virender Sehwag kicking the ball to the boundary for the shot played by the better batsman from South Africa - so that the better batsman would not take strike the next over.I'll give you plenty more if yoiu want - how about Stuart Broad not walking to a ball that he, and the whole world saw,he had nicked to the keeper?

Posted by wch77 on (November 9, 2013, 16:49 GMT)

"First time I was praised on the field It was for a catch I took for New South Wales against Western Australia in the Shield final in 1982-83"

Huh? Is that right? Trevor Chappell had been playing for years by 1982-83. How could it be that long to be praised on the field for the first time?

FeedbackTop
Vishal DikshitClose

'As you get older, you come to appreciate the tough times'

Jimmy Adams talks about the West Indian love for fast bowling, batting with Lara, and living a dream for nine years

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Numbers Game: Only 15 times has a player achieved 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Bhuvneshwar could be the 16th

Time to pension off the seniors?

Rob Smyth: If England are going to win nothing, history suggests it might be worth their while to win nothing with kids

'Smith's record in India is an aberration'

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss Graeme Smith's terrific record in different conditions

Losing to India

Nicholas Hogg: An Englishman discovers cricket fervour in India and realises he can't quite win a game against Indians even back home

Ridiculed Ishant ridicules England

Ishant Sharma has often been the butt of jokes, and sometimes deservedly so. Today, however, the joke was on England

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

England seem to have forgotten about personality

They have to see a glass that is half-full, and play the game as if it is just that, a game; and an opportunity

Ishant's fourth-innings heroics in rare company

In India's win at Lord's, Ishant Sharma took the best bowling figures by an Indian in the fourth innings of a Test outside Asia. Here are five other best bowling efforts by Indians in the fourth innings of Tests outside Asia

Another battle, another defeat on Planet Al

Alastair Cook has got used to feeling of the axe hanging over him. Only his team-mates can save England now