Five Firsts Five FirstsRSS FeedFeeds
Cricketers on their milestones

Trevor Chappell

Lost at Lord's, pasted by Viv

Trevor Chappell on being hit through the sightscreen and other delights

Interview by Vishal Dikshit

November 9, 2013

Trevor Chappell of Australia during a training session before the sixth Test, England v Australia, The Oval, August 26, 1981
Trevor Chappell: "And then I threw the ball up and it went miles away" © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Trevor Chappell | Keith Miller
Teams: Australia

First catch
One of the first catches I can remember was not quite a catch. It was a fielding accident I had at the start of the second season of grade cricket I played. I was on the boundary and this guy called Peter Sincock was bowling - the brother of David Sincock, who played for Australia in the '60s. He bowled a full toss, which the batsman, a left-hander, hit up just behind square leg and towards deep midwicket. I was running in to catch it and we had a substitute fielder on, who was fielding for Ian [Chappell]. He was running back and we crashed. We both got to a point where we had to dive to get to the ball. We smashed our heads together and broke our noses. I can remember up to the point when I dived forward. I don't remember after that for quite a few minutes.

First time I was praised on the field
It was for a catch I took for New South Wales against Western Australia in the Shield final in 1982-83. I took quite a good catch to get Graeme Wood out right at the start of the second innings for nought. And then I threw the ball up and it went miles away and I was running after the ball and everybody was running after me, yelling and screaming, "Son, come back."

First memory of Lord's
There was an awkward way to get out onto the ground from the change room. It was very easy to get lost, and quite often new players did get lost because you had to come down the stairs and then through the Long Room and out the front door. If you didn't quite know where to go, it was very easy to go the wrong way.

First embarrassing moment on the field
Apart from the underarm incident, I remember bowling to Viv Richards at the SCG when West Indies were playing New South Wales. The wicket was right on the members' side of the square and the sightscreen didn't quite go far enough, so they put an extra piece of canvas up there and Viv hit one ball that went straight through the canvas. It was pretty embarrassing to get hit through the sightscreen.

First cricket hero
I think Keith Miller. My father also loved Keith - he was born in the same year as Keith - and Ian always loved Keith as a cricketer and for being an allrounder, being a flamboyant hero, which he was for a lot of young Australian lads right through the 1950s, '60s, '70s.

Vishal Dikshit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Vishal Dikshit

Posted by Clavers on (November 11, 2013, 1:36 GMT)

@wch77 Remember, he grew up in the shadow of not one but two more accomplished older brothers, plus a cricketing grandfather, all three of whom served as Australian captain and were renowned for giving no quarter. It would be interesting if the interviewer asked Trevor how many insults he received in cricket before he got his first compliment ;)

Posted by   on (November 10, 2013, 23:26 GMT)

Poor Trevor, I thought he was more than just a good cricketer and deserved a better than he got.

Posted by dieseldoc on (November 10, 2013, 7:30 GMT)

i remember Trevor for his unlucky test runout..a drive touched bowlers hand and Trev was backing up a bit far.. ball hit stumps...his last test...under rated cricketer

Posted by Rag-Aaron on (November 10, 2013, 6:00 GMT)

@wch77 In those days real men didn't give praise.

Posted by popcorn on (November 10, 2013, 2:22 GMT)

To this day, he and Greg Chappell are living it down,but i do not think either of them should be crucified or feel repentant. Look at it from Greg Chappell's point of view - he played to win,and an underarm delivery was a legal delivery then. There are worse sporting incidents in Cricket History - like Virender Sehwag kicking the ball to the boundary for the shot played by the better batsman from South Africa - so that the better batsman would not take strike the next over.I'll give you plenty more if yoiu want - how about Stuart Broad not walking to a ball that he, and the whole world saw,he had nicked to the keeper?

Posted by wch77 on (November 9, 2013, 16:49 GMT)

"First time I was praised on the field It was for a catch I took for New South Wales against Western Australia in the Shield final in 1982-83"

Huh? Is that right? Trevor Chappell had been playing for years by 1982-83. How could it be that long to be praised on the field for the first time?

FeedbackTop
Vishal DikshitClose

The cricket tragic who bowled Bradman

Former Australian PM Bob Hawke loved cricket. And he once left the Don speechless with the force of his political convictions

'The worst thing about being a keeper is stinky hands'

Chris Read talks about how unprepared he was for Tests, and that slower ball from Chris Cairns

Everybody deserves a second chance?

Switch Hit: Mark Butcher joins our team to discuss the new England coaches, KP, and a potential England XI

England's Pietersen folly

Martin Crowe: Not getting rid of Kevin Pietersen after the texting saga in 2012 cost them greatly

Fizz, flight and loop

V Ramnarayan: Erapalli Prasanna was a masterful conjurer and perhaps the shrewdest of India's great spin quartet

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi

The world record that nearly wasn't

Twenty years ago this week, Brian Lara became Test cricket's highest scorer, but he almost didn't make it

'Sri Lankan fans embrace the team, not just icon players'

Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara go over their World T20 win, and feel grateful to have fans whose support remains unwavering in victory and defeat

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

The former Indian openers haven't been shining lately, but the IPL presents an opportunity for them to show their class