South Africa news January 12, 2012

Tait pulls out of Dolphins' campaign

ESPNcricinfo staff
  shares

Shaun Tait, the Australia fast bowler, has pulled out of the 2011-12 domestic Twenty20 campaign of the Dolphins, the Durban-based South African franchise, due to injury concerns to his bowling elbow. The Dolphins said in a release that Tait's condition required long-term remedial therapy, including rest, ruling him out of South Africa's domestic T20 series starting next month.

Tait, who retired from Tests and ODIs following Australia's exit in the quarter-final of the 2011 World Cup, had signed up with the franchise in August last year.

"This is a significant disappointment to lose Shaun, but we understand his reasons," Jesse Chellan, the chief executive of the franchise, said. "We wish him well with his recovery and hope that we are able to secure his services in the future. For now, our immediate concern is to try to find a replacement bowler to bolster our attack for the T20 competition."

The Dolphins topped the table in the league phase of the T20 competition last year but were beaten in the semi-final by the Warriors.

Tait is currently playing in Australia's Big Bash League for the Melbourne Renegades. He was forced to turn down a deal with Surrey last year due to another elbow injury sustained during the IPL.