Recommendations of the Sri Lankan probe committee
The recommendations made by the probe committee, which looked into the alleged mismanagement of funds at the BCCSL.
The probe committee appointed by the minister of sports Lakshman Kireiella, handed over it's initial report last Friday. The committee headed by Hemantha Warnakulasuriya and comprised of Priyantha Algama, Maxi Wijetilake, M. Sivaratnam, and Sunil Abeyratne started the investigations on the 1st of this month and ended the findings on the 15th.
In a media release published yesterday the committee had recommended six recommendations in it's report.
- 1. Every single member of the dissolved Executive Committee be made responsible for the gigantic sums of money spent in constructing the stadium from the funds of the BCCSL, for having spent such a colossal sum without any right, title or interest in the land.
- 2. Therefore, we recommend that the land be acquired by the Government after paying compensation which will be deposited with the Public Trustee.
- 3. The constitution of the BCCSL be amended so as to prevent any one power group, being elected to power, with unfettered power.
- 4. The Minister of Sports to have power, if deemed necessary to appoint any person to look into the property and legality of the decisions of the Executive Committee and a representative of the Treasury to prevent gross abuse of financial irregularities and mismanagement.
- 5. As provided by the Sports Law, the accounts to be audited by the Auditor General.
- 6. Sports Law to be amended to include the property, and the funds of the BCCSL and all sports bodies be deemed to be public property.