Aamir, Rashid called for national camp (26 August 1999)
Karachi, Aug 25: Former captains Aamir Sohail and Rashid Latif are amongst the 24 probables named on Wednesday for a 10-day training camp for next month's Toronto mini-series against the West Indies
26-Aug-1999
26 August 1999
Aamir, Rashid called for national camp
Our Sports Reporter
Karachi, Aug 25: Former captains Aamir Sohail and Rashid Latif are
amongst the 24 probables named on Wednesday for a 10-day training
camp for next month's Toronto mini-series against the West Indies.
The camp begins from Sept 1 at the Qadhafi Stadium under the
supervision of new coach Wasim Raja.
Col (retd) Naushad Ali, chairman of selectors, said the 24 probables
include 12 World Cup players, 10 who have represented Pakistan
previously and just two new faces (Yasir Arafat and Shabbir Ahmad).
They 24 probables are:
Moin Khan, Saeed Anwar, Wajahatullah Wasti, Shahid Afridi, Abdur
Razzak, Yousuf Youhana, Inzamamul Haq, Waqar Younis, Azhar Mahmood,
Shoaib Akhtar, Mushtaq Ahmad, Saqlain Mushtaq (all 1999 World Cup
team members), Aamir Sohail, Rashid Latif, Shahid Nazir, Arshad Khan,
Hasan Raza, Imran Nazir, Akhtar Sarfaraz, Mohammad Wasim, Mohammad
Akram, Naveed Qureshi, Yasir Arafat and Shabbir Ahmad.
Aamir Sohail and Rashid Latif return to the cricket scene after
having styed away from it for about 12 months.
But there was no place for Kabir Khan, the left-arm pacer from
Peshawar and Habib Bank, who established a new national record by
capturing 113 wickets in the 1998-99 season. He also captained
Peshawar to their first Quaid-i-Azam Trophy triumph. Instead, the
injury-prone Mohammad Akram and Shahid Nazir have been invited for
the camp.
Sohail was ignored after the first Test against Zimbabwe at Peshawar
last November while Latif was sacked as captain and player after the
tours of South Africa and Zimbabwe in February 1998.
Naushad defended the selection of the two players for the training
camp arguing that a lot of cricket was still left in the pair.
On Aamir Sohail, Naushad admitted that he had a discipline problem as
he had been fined almost on all tours "but it is hoped that he will
mend himself."
Sohail was dropped from the tours of India, Sharjah and England after
refusing to attend a training camp. He had cited domestic problems
for missing the camp.
The chief selector also admitted that the left-hander didn't enjoy a
good rapport with other cricketers, particularly after having accused
them of betting and match-fixing. "I know there is a problem but he
is a useful cricketer, a player who can still serve the country with
distinction."
Naushad stressed that Sohail had played the entire 1998-99 season but
added that he was not an automatic selection. He said although Sohail
has not played cricket for nearly seven months "yet so are the other
cricketers. We want to see how fit he is and whether he still has
that magic touch."
Naushad dismissed claim that Sohail's selection contradicted the
selectors earlier promises that they would induct fresh blood. "We
have many youngsters in the team," he said but parried the question
when told that Sohail being an opener was 33 while his other partner
Saeed Anwar was 31.
When pressed, he said in an irritated tone: "You want to ignore
Sohail on cricketing or administrative reasons?"
Sohail has a history of indiscipline behind him. Last season, he
clashed with the cricket board chairman and then the selectors before
lashing out at the former coach Javed Miandad. In 1997, he was
dropped from the tour of Sri Lanka after his verbal confrontation
with former chief executive Majid Khan during the semi-final of the
National One-day Championship in Lahore.
But despite his conduct, Sohail has been a great performer, winning
matches on several occasions. Besides being a courageous opener,
Sohail is regarded as one of the best slip and close-in fielders. In
addition to this, he is a useful left-arm spinner known for breaking
partnerships.
Sohail has represented Pakistan in 45 Tests and 149 limited overs
internationals scoring 2,777 and 4,651 runs respectively. He has
caught 34 batsmen in Tests and 49 in One-day Internationals. In
Tests, he has taken 20 wickets and 82 in one-dayers.
Rashid Latif earns the selectors' nod despite not keeping wickets for
Pakistan A in last year's tour of New Zealand and then in the
National One-day Championship. On the New Zealand tour, he was
injured and Javed Qadeer stood behind the wickets. In the One-day
Championship, Humayun Farhat kept wickets and excelled with the bat
and gloves whereas Latif opened the innings.
But Naushad said Rashid Latif has been told that he will have to keep
wickets.
Naushad further added that one wicket-keeper will go to Toronto.
Rashid, who will celebrate his 31st birthday in October, has played
22 Tests and 101 one-dayers. His brilliance behind the wickets can be
judged from the fact that he has dismissed 80 batsmen in Tests and
122 in One-day Internationals.
Nevertheless, Rashid has been preferred over Wasim Yousufi of Customs
and Peshawar who dismissed a record 77 batsmen behind the wickets in
the 1998-99 season.
The selectors have ignored highly promising Sajid Shah who was one of
the five reserves in the World Cup. Shah was a key performer in last
season when he helped Habib Bank clinch the prestigious Patron's
Trophy with his match figures of eight for 77, including five for 64
in the second innings.
Also overlooked was highly talented speedster Fazl-i-Akbar who was
the architect of Peshawar's victory against Karachi Whites in the
final of the Quaid-i-Azam Trophy last season.
He recorded a hat trick in that match with his match figures of 10
for 126.
Source :: The Dawn (www.dawn.com)