In a finish almost as exciting as the First Test, a defiant last-wicket partnership prevented West Indies taking the lead in the series.

When Kline joined MacKay, an hour and fifty minutes remained with the West Indies total beyond reach. Two minutes later, Sobers, four yards from the bat, appealed confidently for a catch from MacKay off Worrell but it was turned down by Egar, the umpire, and the pair not only played out time but added 66 runs.

The match was full of incident. Gibbs, the West Indies off-spinner, did the hat-trick in Australia's first innings -- the first against Australia this century -- and Kanhai scored a hundred in each innings.

West Indies won the toss and after losing Hunte at 12 scored freely on an easy-paced pitch. The best batting came from Kanhai and Worrell who added 107 in just over an hour. Kanhai's first hundred came in a little over two hours and included two 6's and eleven 4's. Benaud kept the score in check with his accurate spin and captured five wickets for 96.

Australia also suffered a quick reverse when Favell was dismissed, but McDonald played doggedly for 71 and Simpson, after a shaky start, scored 85. MacKay never appeared comfortable and eventually was leg-before to Gibbs. Grant and Misson were the other victims in the hat-trick when Australia slumped from 281 for five to 281 for eight. Benaud appeared unperturbed and, receiving unexpected help from Hoare, took the score to 366.

The Australian bowling offered few terrors when the West Indies batted a second time and Kanhai scored his second hundred of the match. With Hunte, he put on 163 -- a record second-wicket partnership for West Indies against Australia.

Worrell declared and set Australia to score 460 in just over six and a half hours. Australia lost three wickets for 31 and anxiously faced the last day. Their hopes were raised by a determined stand by O'Neill and Burge, who justified his return to Test cricket. This lasted almost until lunch. Yet all seemed lost until the splendid fighting resistance of MacKay and Kline. For the last over Worrell recalled Hall to bowl to MacKay, but the Queenslander survived.