Choice Of English Selectors Difficult (06 Apr 1996)
LONDON, April 5: With nine candidates in the field for the election of two members for the England cricket selection committee, the Test and County Cricket Board management as well as the 18 counties who constitute the board are facing a
06-Apr-1996
6 April 1996
Choice of England selectors difficult
From Athar Ali
LONDON, April 5: With nine candidates in the field for the election of two members for the England cricket selection committee,
the Test and County Cricket Board management as well as the 18
counties who constitute the board are facing a difficult task in
making a choice. The postal ballot is expected to be completed by
April 17 and the results announced the next day.
But the record number of candidates may pose difficulties forcing
a second ballot.
The position of former England captain, Ian Botham, who is a
serious contender, has been undermined by a letter written to the
TCCB members by the Chief Executive of the Board, Alan Smith, in
which he has reminded members of the media commitment of at least
one of the candidates. Ian Botham is heavily involved in television and also with the newspapers.
The TCCB chief has said that it has been a long-standing policy
of the board to look for persons not involved with the media.
This policy was applied to Ray Illingworth and Ted Dexter, and
more recently Bob Willis withdrew his candidature as selector because of his commitment with the media.
The TCCB because of the publication this morning of extracts from
Alan Smith`s letter in newspapers had to make its position clear.
It dismissed suggestions that they were trying to block the
selection of Ian Botham as an England selector. They said
all they have done is remind counties that candidates should not
have media commitments. "The executive committee has laid down
that you can`t be employed fulltime in the media and be a
selector. That is a general perception that has existed in
the game for 40-50 years and we reaffirmed it a year ago. Bob
Willis having had his nomination withdrawn last year for this
reason."
The TCCB Chief has told the counties they can vote for whomsoever
they wish. But in view of the publicity given to his letter it
seems that The Management at Lord`s is not looking favourably at
Botham`s nomination. They have also leaked the names of two of
Ray Illingworth`s favourites. The controversial chairman of the
selection committee, who got himself confirmed when David Graveney, now also a candidate for one of the two selection committee
posts, withdrew his challenge. Illingworth favours Fred
Titmus and Brian Bolus to be with him on the committee with the
England captain and David Lloyd, the Lancashire coach, who has
been appointed to coach England for a five month`s period. If
Ian Botham is eventually erected he will carry the rancour of Alan Smith`s letter in his mind and would not be an
easy person to deal with on the committee. He has already
been vocal in criticising Illingworth`s style of management.
Source :: Dawn Group Of Newspapers
(https://www.cricket.org/link_to_database/SUPPORT/DAWN/)