Third Test Match

West Indies v Australia

At Georgetown, April 14, 15, 17, 19, 20. West Indies won by 212 runs.

On the eve of the match, Kippin, one of the West Indies most experienced umpires, withdrew apparently at the insistence of the local Umpires' Association, who objected to the appointment of Jordan, of Barbados. The Association were angered because both umpires were not Guianese.

The very game was threatened by this unhappy and unique situation, but it was met by appointing G. Gomez, the former Test all-rounder and now a selector, in Kippin's place.

In the meantime a request was sent to Trinidad for another umpire, but although one arrived in good time, it was a tribute to Gomez's conscientious efficiency that he remained until the end. He had not previously umpired a first class match, although he held an umpiring certificate. Gomez has been closely identifies with umpiring, and an attempt to raise its standards, in the West Indies.

His first duty was to order the creases to be remarked. The game started ten minutes late. The act of the local umpires caused Kippin much distress, and served only to cost West Indies cricket in general loss of prestige.

For the most part Australia waged a losing battle. In the first innings Kanhai was at his best and was not to be restrained. Hawke, however, did exceptionally well to finish with six for 72.

Once again Australia were denied a solid start, and they fell 176 runs behind on the first innings. Yet the West Indies did not make the best use of their big advantage. Their tactics were hard to understand. The first half of the second innings was conducted at a snail's pace. They then tried to finish at a gallop. Neither policy succeeded, but Australia had to get 357 to win.

By tea with only Simpson out for a total of 80, and Lawry and Cowper going well, they were almost back in the game. Gibbs changed ends after the interval, and in fifteen minutes he took four wickets, putting Australia very much on the slippery slope of defeat. At the end of the day Gibbs was five for 29 in 22 overs, and Australia had only one wicket left.

The next morning Gibbs needed only two more balls to complete his own and the West Indies' triumph. The pitch took some spin, but scarcely enough to account for one of Australia's most surprising and dispiriting collapses. It was the man and not the pitch which led to the final rout.

© John Wisden & Co