Third Test Match


At Bourda, Georgetown, March 3, 4, 5, 6. West Indies won by seven wickets. The superior side in all phases of the game except possibly wicket-keeping, they deserved their success, gained with over a day to spare. For this Test, West Indies introduced two new fast bowlers, Trim, a local, and Pierre from Trinidad, and, at the same time, discovered a really efficient captain in Goddard. England were handicapped not only by Butler's absence, but Allen, after Goddard won the toss, having caused the rival captain to play on, injured a leg muscle in the course of his third over and did not bowl again during the match. Cranston promptly took the ball and removed Carew and Walcott, making three wickets down for 48, but after this encouraging start England gradually fell into trouble. Splendid batting by Christiani and Worrell retrieved the position for West Indies in a stand of 79. These two tall batsmen used their reach with effect; quite early Christiani, whose driving was specially delightful, helped himself to a 6 off Laker, and he looked thoroughly set when he fell to a superb right-hand catch by Hardstaff on the long-leg boundary. Always master of the situation, Worrell was even more impressive. When rain stopped play the total was 284 for five wickets, with Worrell 127. The drenched ground and more rain prevented any cricket before lunch on the second day, and it soon became obvious that the pitch, although firm, was responsive to spin. In less than half an hour England got down three more wickets for only 13 runs; then Goddard declared. Worrell, unbeaten and not having given a semblance of a chance during three hours thirty-five minutes, hit fifteen 4's.

England began well enough, for Hutton drove splendidly, and at tea the score showed 48 without loss; but after the interval Goddard, bowling medium-paced off-breaks to a leg trap, exploited the drying pitch so cleverly that Hutton, Robertson, Place and Hardstaff were all dismissed for the addition of 16 runs. In the course of four overs Goddard took three wickets for six runs, and it was this deadly spell that virtually enabled his team to force the first definite result of the tour. England had only one wicket left when stumps were drawn and eight deliveries sufficed to finish the innings. Still, the pitch had been rolled twice when Hutton and Robertson began the follow-on and it became comparatively docile. Again Goddard bowled to a leg trap, and Trim, standing only five yards from the bat, was struck in the face from a hard hit by Place. Trim, cut above and below the right eye, spent part of the day in hospital while the wound was stitched. Meanwhile England, apart from Hardstaff, who hit one 6 and six 4's in a fine display, made slow progress; and on returning to the game, Trim, with the first ball after tea, got Hardstaff taken at backward short leg. Cranston, Evans, Ikin and Allen offered determined resistance, but West Indies never lost their hold on the game, and in less than an hour on the following day they obtained the last four wickets for 37. Only 78 runs were needed for victory, but Laker and Howorth removed three men for 28 before Walcott and Gomez made light work of the finish, the match being all over by half-past two.

© John Wisden & Co