Third Test Match


Toss: West Indies.

Imran Khan's fighting, unbeaten 58, and his defiant stand of 67 for the fifth wicket with Masood Anwar, making his Test début, saved Pakistan not only the match but the series. Needing 346 for victory, they were 110 for four on the final morning when Imran joined night-watchman Anwar, and he kept the West Indian bowlers at bay for just over four hours. Anwar, a left-arm spinner, was one of four changes made by Pakistan after their defeat at Faisalabad; Javed Miandad was unable to play because of illness. In the West Indies side, Lara came in for Best, who had a hand injury.

Again the pitch played an unduly significant role, with the cracks widening and the surface breaking up as the match progressed. Thus the toss was a good one for West Indies to win, but they needed a special innings from Hooper to gain from their advantage after Imran Khan, bowling for the first time in the series, had removed the openers, and Wasim Akram had sent back Richardson. Hooper, dropped by Salim Malik at slip off Waqar Younis when 31, finished the day 107 not out, having reached his second Test hundred in 242 minutes, with eight fours and a six. He had added 95 for the fourth wicket with Lara, who batted solidly for 44 in his first Test, and 61 in 56 minutes with Marshall for the seventh wicket.

After a delay of 45 minutes because of heavy dew, West Indies added a further 44 runs on the second morning, and when poor light forced an early finish they had Pakistan 93 for six. That represented a recovery from 48 for five, after Imran, who batted for an hour and a quarter for 17, and Akram had added 45 for the sixth wicket. On the third morning Akram's overnight partner, Moin Khan, was hit on the face by a Bishop bouncer, and he did not keep wicket in West Indies' second innings, the gloves being taken by Aamer Malik. Bishop and Ambrose finished with five wickets each, with Bishop, in his eleventh Test, taking his 50th Test wicket.

A poor start again left West Indies looking to Hooper, and with Logie helping him add 107 for the fifth wicket he secured his side's position. However, Akram swung the course of the game on the final morning by taking the last four wickets in five balls, emulating a feat previously achieved in Test cricket only by M. J. C. Allom and C. M. Old. Dujon and Ambrose went to successive balls, Bishop edged the hat-trick ball just wide of Imran, and the next two deliveries claimed Marshall and Walsh.

Even on a better pitch Pakistan's target would have been a difficult one. They lost Aamer Malik in the first over, but Ramiz Raja and Shoaib Mohammad countered bravely with a stand that was worth 90 when Walsh bowled Ramiz just as the fading light heralded another early finish. Bishop's dismissing Shoaib and Salim Malik on the final morning seemingly opened the way for West Indies to win the series. Instead, Anwar defied them for three hours ten minutes (130 balls), and when Imran and Akram had added 55 in 86 minutes Haynes recognised the inevitability of the draw. Imran's resolve was such that he hit just three boundaries from the 196 deliveries he received.

Man of the Match: C. L. Hooper.

Close of play: First day, West Indies 250-8 ( C. L. Hooper 107*, I. R. Bishop 0*); Second day, Pakistan 93-6 ( Wasim Akram 21*, Moin Khan 0*); Third day, West Indies 128-4 ( C. L. Hooper 39*, A. L. Logie 43*); Fourth day, Pakistan 90-2 ( Shoaib Mohammad 36*, Masood Anwar 0*).

© John Wisden & Co