Obituaries in 1907

MR. JAMES BARNETT ALLISON, a well-known Canadian cricketer, died of pneumonia at Montreal on March 30th. He was born at Monaghan, Ireland, in 1880.

MR. JOHN CORBET ANDERSON, who was born at Rothesay, Isle of Bute, January 17th, 1827, died at Croydon on January 3rd, when within a fortnight of completing his eightieth year. He will always be remembered on account of the series of fine lithographs of cricketers which he published about fifty or sixty years ago. Mr. Anderson was an antiquarian of world-wide fame, and at the time of his death was the oldest ticket holder in the British Museum Reading Room. His best known work isCroydon Church, Past and Present.

MR. WILLIAM ANDERSON, Laird of Leithfield, died on June 18th at the early age of 32. He was a prominent cricketer in Kincardineshire.

GEORGE ANTHONY, who appeared for Nottinghamshire occasionally between 1900 and 1905, was born at Arnold on June 25th, 1876, and died of consumption at his native place on May 13th. He was a very useful all-round cricketer, but was handicapped by ill-health. Against Essex at Leyton in 1901 he scored 57 out of 64 in half-an-hour, reaching 50 in sixteen minutes. In the following year he made 89 against Derbyshire at Derby, and 51 not out against Lancashire at Old Trafford. He was nephew of the late Alfred Anthony, of Arnold, who kept wicket for Nottinghamshire a few times in 1875 and 1876.

THE REV. WILLIAM GEORGE ARMITSTEAD, who was born at The Hermitage, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, on March 22nd, 1833, died at the Vicarage, Goostrey, in the same county, on March 13th. Scores and Biographies (iv.-344) states that he was a fine free hitter, especially to the off and leg, and an admirable long stop. He was educated at Westminster and Oxford, and played against Cambridge in 1853, 1854, 1856, and 1857, among his contemporaries being Reginald Hankey, E. H. L. Milles, W. Ridding, Walter Fellows, Joseph Makinson, C. D. Marsham, Joseph McCormick, C. G. Lane, and A. P. Law. Although he was on the winning side three times his batting did not contribute much to the successes, his highest innings being 26 in 1853, and 14 and 25 in 1857. For many years he was prominently identified with the Free Foresters, which club he assisted to found on July 20th, 1856.

THOMAS ATTENBOROUGH, an old Derbyshire cricketer, was found dead at Ilkestone on January 21st, aged 73. He played for the county on a few occasions, his last appearance being in 1874. His left hand bowling was often very successful, and for Derbyshire against M. C. C. and Ground at Lord"s in 1870 he took four wickets for 8 runs.

THOMAS BALDWIN, for many years a member of the Suffolk Eleven, was born on January 18th, 1832, at Bury St. Edmunds, where he died on May 7th. He was a fast round-armed bowler and generally fielded at short slip. He did not appear at Lord"s until 34 years of age. Charles Baldwin, who afterwards played for Surrey for some years and is now at Uppingham, is his son.

MR. HUGH GLENNIE BIGNELL, who was born on October 4th, 1882, died at Rawal Pindi of enteric fever on may 6th. He appeared on a few occasions for Hampshire in 1901and 1902, his best performance being to make 49 not out and 22 not out against Somerset at Portsmouth in the former year.

MR. A. W. G. BISPHAM, a native of Barbados, died at Westwood, New Jersey, on March 8th, aged 28. He was secretary of the recently-formed New Jersey State Cricket League.

MR. WILLIAM BLACKER, who died on November 21st, as the result of an accident in the hunting field, will be remembered as an excellent batsman at Harrow and Cambridge. He was born at Dublin on September 9th, 1853. Playing in the Harrow eleven for two seasons he was out for three and six against Eton at Lord"s in 1871, but did far better in the following year when he scored 45 and seven. In both matches he was on the losing side, Eton winning by an innings and 77 runs in 1871, and by six wickets in 1872. The match in 1872 was a memorable one, in as much as it introduced to Lord"s Ground Alfred Lyttelton, Edward Lyttelton and A. J. Webbe. Leaving Harrow with a high reputation as a batsman Mr. Blacker gained his Blue as a freshman in 1873 but as a University cricketer he never fulfilled the hopes entertained of him in his school days. He scored 24 and 26 against Oxford in 1873 when Oxford won a keenly contested game by three wickets, but he was out twice without getting a run in 1874made only 19 and one in the sensational match of 1875, which Oxford won by six runs. In 1876 he, for the only time, had the satisfaction of being on the winning side against Oxford, but he had no share in the nine wickets" victory. He was bowled without scoring in the first innings and was not out 0 in the second, going in when the game was a tie. His highest score in first-class cricket was 86 for Gentlemen of the South against Players of the South in 1876, at the Oval. Devoted to steeple chasing and hunting, Mr. Blacker was a brilliant horseman.

DR. CHARLES CADWALADER, who died in London on June 12th, was for many years prominently identified with the game in Philadelphia. In 1867 he got Willsher to agree to take a team to America in the following autumn, and 1872 he was prominent in the arrangements for the visit to Canada of Mr. R. A. Fitzgerald"s team.

GENERAL CECIL CLAY, a familiar figure in Philadelphian cricketing circles for almost half-a-century, died on September 23rd.

MR. P. G. CONNELL, of the Loretto Eleven of 1901 and 1902, was drowned in Canada on September 27th.

COL. A. T. COX, for many years a well-known member of the Break-o"-Day C.C., died at Hobart on April 6th.

GENERAL SIR HENRY PERCIVAL DE BATHE, 4th BART., K.C.B., for many years very prominently connected with the Old Stagers at Canterbury, was born at Malta on June 19th, 1823, and died at Wood End, near Chichester, on January 5th.

SEñOR ANTHONY BENITEZ DE LUGO, Marquis de Santa Lusana, a well-known member of the Surrey County C.C., died at Pau on March 16th, aged about 50. He was author of three booklets published in Madrid for private circulation-Surrey at the Wicket, 1844-1887.The Surrey Champion: A Complete Record of W. W. Read"s Performances, 1873-1894 and A Summary of Surrey Cricket, 1844-1899.

MR. CHARLES ORMSTON EATON, of Tolethorpe Hall, Stamford, died on September 13th, aged 80. He was in the Harrow Eleven in 1844 and 1845, and was on the losing side in each of the four Public School matches in which he appeared.

THE REV. ROBERT WILLIAM ESSINGTON, the first round-armed bowler Eton produced, died at Plen, Newquay, on July 18th, in his ninetieth year. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1835 and 1836, being captain the latter year, and afterwards proceeded to Cambridge, but did not obtain his Blue. In the four Public School matches in which he appeared he was on the losing side only once, Harrowwinning by nine wickets in 1836. He was a good all-round cricketer, and in the matches referred to had a batting average of 11.40, and also bowled with success.

MR. DAVID LINZEE EVANS, died at West Down, near Bristol, on November 12th, aged 38. He was born in Gloucestershire in 1869, and was educated at Loretto, where he was in the Eleven for three years, commencing in 1887. He was an aggressive batsman, a hard-working field, and a useful medium-paced bowler. In 1889, his last year at Loretto, he played a few times for Gloucestershire and with a not-out innings of 50 against Sussex, at Brighton, as his highest score, made 70 runs in five completed innings. During the next two seasons he did little in the few county matches in which he appeared and then, after an absence of two years from first-class cricket, he appeared under the residential qualification for Somerset. Against Surrey at the Oval in 1894 he played an innings of 60, and for the county that season scored 172 runs with an average of 17.20. The following year he did little, and then dropped out of the game, though he continued to take part in minor matches.

MR. HARVEY WINSON FELLOWS, who was born at Rickmansworth, in Hertfordshire, on April 11th, 1826, died at his native place on January 13th, in his eighty-first year. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1841 and 1842, and in each year played against Harrow and Winchester. In 1841, when Emilius Bayley played his historic 152 and Eton won by an innings and 175 runs, George Yonge and Walter Marcon obtained all the wickets between them, but in the following year, when the tables were turned and Harrowproved successful by 65 runs, Harvey Fellows went on and bowled three wickets. In the latter match, although the Harrowtotals were only 141 and 121, there were 53 extras (38 byes and 15 wides) in the first innings and 32 (28 byes and 4 wides) in the second. It is interesting to recall that of the Eton Eleven of 1841, three members, all octogenarians, still survive-Cyril Randolph, now Rector of Chartham, and the brothers Emilius and L. H. Bayley. In the Winchester match of 1841, which Eton lost by 109 runs, Mr. Fellows made 3 and 26 not out and took six wickets, whilst in the following year he scored 24 and dismissed eight men, thereby contributing in no small measure to the defeat of Winchesterby seven wickets. Mr.Haygarth, in Scores and Biographies (iii., 41), said of him:- As a batsman, at first he was a hard slashing hitter, but he afterwards became steadier. At Himley (Lord Ward"s) September 19th, 1848, in the match I. Zingari v. Gentlemen of Worcestershire, he hit a ball off Nixon 132 yards to the pitch. Is, however, most famous as a bowler, though his great success only lasted three or four seasons, commencing in 1847. The pace was then terrific (by some thought quite dangerous to bat against), very straight, and with a good deal of spin on the ball, which, in its progress, often has been heard to hum like a top. The delivery was low-so much so, indeed, that by some it was called underhand, which, however, was quite a mistake. He afterwards got his arm higher, and this is supposed to be the reason that he soon lost his tremendous speed, and also some of his straightness. His bowling against the Players in 1848 and 1849 was quite different from that in 1850 and 1851.

'And Fellows, whose electric speed with due precision blends."

Messrs Marcon, H Fellows, W. Fellows, Osbaldeston, and G. Brown, sen., are supposed to be the fastest bowlers that have ever yet appeared. T. Brett, A. Mynn, Esq., T. Sherman, Tarrant, J. Jackson, Wisden, and R. Lang, Esq., ranking next as to speed. In the field Mr. Fellows is generally cover-point, where he is very active, notwithstanding his great bulk.

After leaving Eton Mr. Fellows quickly made his mark, being chosen for practically all the great matches of his time, including Gentlemen v. Players from 1847 to 1851. His swift bowling on the rough wickets which were general in his time was frequently destructive, though often expensive to his own side on account of the number of byes that resulted. Mr. E. S. E. Hartopp was considered to long-stop to his bowling more successfully than anyone else, and for that reason was called Mr. Fellows" long-stop. Fuller Pilch, it has been said, has been known to play his bowling at Lord"s with his head turned away, whilst Parr admitted that he was the only bowler he could not hit to leg. In a match at Lord"s in 1850, he and Mr. Jones G. Nash bowled unchanged through both innings for Gentlemen of England v. Gentlemen of Kent, while for M. C. C. and Ground v. Hampshire at Lord"s in 1861, he bowled 33 balls for two runs and four wickets. Playing for I Zingari v. Gentlemen Of Warwickshire at Leamington in 1849, he bowled down the first nine wickets in the first innings and caught the tenth. He frequently appeared at Canterbury for the Gentlemen of England v. the Gentlemen of Kent; in 1847 he played an innings of 51 there, and in 1853 one of 61, while, when bowling Mr. G. M. Kelson in the M. C. C.v. Gentlemen of Kent match of 1864, he knocked all three stumps out of the ground. Mr. Fellows had often served on the Committee of the M. C. C. and I Zingari in the first matches those clubs ever played outside the United Kingdom. He was elder brother of the late Rev. Walter Fellows of the Oxford Eleven of 1854 and three following years.

CAPT. JOHN ST. JOHN FREDERICK died on September 10th. He was born in London on January 6th, 1846, and played for Eton in 1861 and two following years, for Oxford in 1864 and 1867, for Middlesex in 1864, and for Hampshirefrom 1863 to 1869. Scores and Biographies (vii., 104) says of him:- Is a fine, free, and powerful hitter, a most excellent field at long-leg and cover-point, a tremendously fast round-armed bowler, and, though not always so straight as could be wished, still, at times, very destructive. In the three matches with Harrow he took nine wickets for 70 runs and averaged 27 with the bat, but against Winchester his record was not so good. Proceeding to Oxford, he obtained his Blue as a Freshman, forming one of the strong team of 1864 which, owing to a fine second innings by R. A. H. Mitchell, beat Cambridge by four wickets. He himself made only one run in his two innings, and on his second appearance in the University match, three years later - in 1865 he met with a severe accident to his knee, and was kept out of cricket for some time in consequence-he scored but 5 and 13, Oxford losing by five wickets. His best innings in matches of note were 110 for Gentlemen of Hampshire v. Gentlemen of Sussex at Southampton in 1864, and 78 for Middlesex v. Buckinghamshire at Islington the same year. He became a member of the M. C. C. in 1864 and served on the Committee in 1891, and from 1894 to 1898.

MR. THOMAS COLLETON GARTH, the veteran Master of the Garth Hounds, who died at Haines Hill, near Twyford, on October 22nd, aged 85, was one of the Bramshill, Hants. Players in the days of Sir John Cope and of his successor, Sir William Cope.

DR. J. M. GIBB, the captain of the Kensington C.C., perished in the earthquake in Jamaica, on January 14th. He represented Jamaica against Mr. R. S. Lucas" team in 1895, Mr. A. Priestley"s in 1897, and Mr. Bosanquet"s in 1902.

GEORGE JOACHIM GOSCHEN, 1st Viscount Goschen, of Hawkhurst, was born on August 10th, 1831, and died at his seat, Seacox Health, Hawkhurst, on February 7th. He was educated at Rugby and Oxford, but did not obtain a place in either Eleven. He was a great lover of the game, and at the Centenary dinner of the M. C. C. in 1887 made a very interesting speech when returning thanks for the House of Commons.

MR. WILBERFORCE HAMER, a member of the Committee of the Lancashire County C.C., died at Blackburn on October 12th aged 44.

MAJOR W. H. HARDYMAN, who scored heavily whilst at Trinity College, Dublin, and afterwards for the Lansdown club, perished in the earthquake in Jamaica, on January 14th, being then only 42 years of age. He served with distinction in the Ashanti Expedition, and later was appointed Governor of the Malta Military Prison.

THE REV. WILLIAM HENRY HEALE, of the Harrow Eleven of 1878, was born at Hemel Hempstead on April 27th, 1859, and died at Brighton on April 26th. He scored 0 and 25 against Eton and had the satisfaction of being on the winning side. Scores and Biographies (xiv., 692) remarks that he was an average batsman, and in the field generally cover-point. His name will be found occasionally in the Hertfordshire Eleven.

MR. GEORGE EDWARD HEMINGWAY, a brother of Messrs. W. M"G. and R. E. Hemingway, died at Rangoon on March 11th. He was born at Macclesfield in 1872, was in the Uppingham Eleven in 1888, and in 1898 appeared for Gloucestershire against Yorkshire, at Sheffield. He was a free batsman and in the field generally stood mid-off or cover-point, but business and weak sight handicapped his play considerably. On one occasion, when playing a single-wicket match against his two brothers, he hit the ball into a bed of nettles; the fieldsmen quarrelled as to who should recover it, and during the argument the batsman ran about 250.

SIR AUGUSTUS WILLIAM LAWSON HEMMING, G.C.M.G., was born in London on September 2nd, 1841, and died at Cairo on March 27th.Scores and biographies (viii., 60) described him as a good average bat, but has been principally noted as a fast round-armed bowler. Fielded at first generally at short- slip, and afterwards as long-stop. He was educated at Epsom College, being a member of the first eleven ever formed three, and at Godolphin School, and frequently played for Richmond, Civil Service, M. C. C., Kensington park, Surrey Club and Ground, etc. In 1869 he joined the M. C. C., and afterwards served on the Committee. Occasionally he appeared for the Gentlemen Of the South, and he took part in the match at the Ovalin 1866 wherein W. G, carried out his bat for 173. His best feat with the ball was for XVIII. Gentlemen of the Richmond Club against a strong scratch team in the Old Deer park at Richmond in 1866 when he took eight wickets, namely those of T. A. Raynes, Jupp, Tom Hearne, Mantle, Tom Humphrey, Griffith, Pooley, and Willsher, for only 33 runs. Sir Augustus will always be best remembered on account of his association with the Incogniti, of which he was one of the original members, and for many years, commencing in 1871, the honorary secretary. In 1896 and 1897 Sir Augustus Hemming was Governor of British Guiana, and from 1898 to 1904 Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Jamaica.

JOSEPH HINLEY, of the Worcestershire Eleven of 1905 and 1906, died at Birmingham of consumption on November 21st, in his twenty-ninth year. He was born in Yorkshire on October 28th, 1879, and before qualifying for Worcestershire was for some time engaged on the ground staff at Edgbaston. In the eighteen matches in which he appeared for Worcestershire he caught 26 and stumped 4. He was a poor bat.

MR. A. A. HIRST, jun., a very promising American crickets, died suddenly at Philadelphia on September 14th, at the early age of 15. He belonged to the Merion Club and in Radnor Cup matches had made many good scores. In July, 1905, when only 13 years old, he made 100 not out in a second junior game between Merion and Radnor.

MR. EDWARD HODGES, a nephew of the famous John Willes, was born at Bellringham, Sutton Valence, on February 11th, 1819 and died at Southsea on February 20th. His name will be found in the match between the Gentlemen Of Kent and I Zingari at Canterbury in 1853. He was a useful batsman, a good medium-paced bowler. And generally field at point. It was his mother who gave her brother, Mr. John Willes, the idea of round-armed bowling by throwing to him in practice in a barn at Fonford, near Canterbury.

MR. R. D. HONIBALL lost his life in the earthquake in Jamaica on January 14th. He assisted Jamaica against Mr. Priestley"s team in 1897, and the Next XVIII, against Lord Brackley"s in 1905. He was vice-captain of the Kingston C.C.

SIR JOHN WILLIAM HONYWOOD, 8th Bart., the President of the Kent County C.C. in 1893, was born on April 15th, 1857, and died at Folkestone on June 18th.

JOHN HUGHES, who played for Hertfordshire for almost thirty years, was born at Hertford on July 2nd, 1825, and died at his native place on January 29th. Scores and Biographies remarks of him:- Is a tolerable batsman, and fields generally at shortslip, but is principally noted for his excellent slow, round-armed, twisting bowling. He delivers, easily to himself, with great precision as to pitch and straightness, and has certainly been very successful in the matches in which he has participated. He began to play in 1843, and first appeared for his county in 1855, but it was not until 1870, when in his forty-fifth years, that he played at Lord"s for Hertfordshire v. M. C. C. and Ground, when, in the first innings (53) of the latter he bowled seventy-two balls for 16 runs and five wickets. When appearing for XXII. Of St. Albans against the U.S.E.E. in 1865, he dismissed Tom Humphrey, Pooley, and Jupp with the first three balls he delivered, and Mr. I. D. Walker with the fifth, whilst for Hertfordshire v. M. C. C. and Ground, at Chorleywood in 1872, he took seven wickets for 16 runs. In 1890, a match between XIV. Of the County and an England XI. was played for his benefit at Bishop Stortford. Hughes was in quite the front rank of bowlers, and was in a measure unfortunate not be identified with a leading county.

MR. DAVID JACKMAN, a well-known club cricketer in Suffolk, died at Ipswich on April 19th, in his seventy-second year. He had been a member of the East Suffolk C.C. since its formation in 1856.

TOM JEEVES, for many years a well-known professional cricketer in Scotland and the North of England, died suddenly at Nelson or October 1st, aged 55. In 1883 he appeared for Hertfordshire, for which county he had a birth qualification, but, meeting with little success, he quickly dropped out of the side.

MR. CHARLES FITCH KEMP, J.P., D.L., the President of the Kent County C.C in 1904, died at Foxbush, Hildenboro, Kent, on October 31st. He was born at Northwyck, Southminster, Essex on June 29th, 1829, and was educated at Ongar Grammar School and the East and West India College. Three of his sons, Messrs. A. F., C. W. M., and M.C. Kemp have played for Kent.

DR. CHARLES LATHAM, a very well-known follower and supporter of the game in Cheshire, died at Sandbach on July 6th, aged 90. During his latter years he used to attend the local matches in a bath-chair, and when over eighty years of age journeyed to London in order to see the Australians play.

THE REV. ALFRED JAMES LOWTH, who was born at Grove House, Chiswick, on July 20th, 1817, died at Winchester on February 5th, being at the time senior Wykehamist. He was left-handed both as batsman and bowler, but did not continue the game long after taking Holy Orders. Scores and Biographies (ii.,278) states that his delivery was round-armed, fast, with a beautiful, easy delivery. He played for Winchester from 1834 to 1836 for Gentlemen v. Players in 1836 and 1841, and for Oxford against Cambridge in 1838, 1840, and 1841. For Winchester against Harrow, in 1835, he took ten wickets and scored 23 in each innings and in the same year bowled down eight wickets in the first innings, of Eton. In the three matches in which he played against Cambridge he obtained twenty-four wickets, his most successful appearance being that of 1840, when he took eleven, and when he was, curiously enough, on the losing side for the only time. It is testimony to his greatness that in 1836 a deputation from the M. C. C. went down to Winchester to see him bowl and, as a result, asked him to assist the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord"s. He accepted the invitation and took nine wickets. Mr. Lowth was at Eton from 1826 to 1828, but was elected to a scholarship at Winchester in 1829. He was one of a family of thirteen, and grandson of the Right Rev. Robert Lowth, Bishop of London.

MR. EDGAR LUBBOCK, LL.D., a younger brother of Mr. Alfred Lubbock, was born in London on February 22nd, 1847, and died at 18, Hans Court, Chelsea, on September 9th. He was in the Eton XI. in 1864 and two following years, and in 1872 visited America as a member of Mr. R. A. Fitzgerald"s team. Only once-against M. C. C., at Canterbury, in 1871-did he appear for Kent, and as he then scored 11 and 54 it is surprising that he never assisted the county again. He was a right-handed batsman with an awkward style, and bowled left underhand fast. He had been a member of the M. C. C. since 1869.

MR. A. W. MACKENZIE, who represented Canada against the United States in 1898, and from 1901 to 1903, died at Toronto on June 6th, aged 29. He was educated at Ridley College and Toronto University, and was a very good all-round cricketer.

MR. JAMES MARKS, of Woollhara, a very liberal supporter of cricket in New South Wales, died on January 11th, in his seventy-third year.

MR. FRANK BOYD MAY died by his own hand at the Old Malt House, Hurley, near Marlow, on June 1st, in his forty-sixth year. Earlier in the day, to the regret of his many friends, he had been declared a defaulter on the Stock Exchange. He had been a member of the M. c. c. since 1888, and also played for the Free Foresters and Old Cliftonians. At the conclusion of the Annual General Meeting of the M.C.C.at Lord"s on May 2nd, 1906, Mr. May proposed the following resolution, which, after some discussion, was carried:- That in a two-day match, the captain of the batting side has power to declare his innings closed at any time, but such declaration may not be made on the first day later than one hour and forty minutes before the hour of drawing stumps.

MR. LEWIS MACDONALD MCLEOD of the Fettes Eleven of 1901 and two following seasons, died at Cambridge on November 12th, as the result of an operation, at the early age of 23. He played in the Freshmen"s match at Cambridge in 1904, but never appeared in the Eleven. As a Rugby footballer he gained the highest honours, playing for Scotland against England, Ireland, and Wales. He also gained his Blue at Cambridge for rugby and Athletics.

MR. ROBERT MCLEOD, who died on June 14th, will be remembered in England as a member of the Australian team of 1893. This was his first and only visit to this country. He proved himself a fairly good all-round cricketer but it cannot be said that he came up to the reputation he enjoyed at home. In the course of the tour he scored 638 runs with an average of 17 and took forty-seven wickets for something over 24 runs apiece. On this record he was hardly good enough for a representative Australian team. However, he played a very creditable part in the memorable match against the M. C. C. in which Lyons made his great score of 149. Following on against a balance of 181 runs, the Australians set the M. C. C.167 to get. Up to a certain point the Club looked to have an easy victory in prospect, but in the end they were only saved from defeat by Attewell"s defence, wanting 14 runs to win at the finish with two wickets to fall. McLeod in this innings bowled better than on any other occasion in England, taking five wickets in nineteen overs for 29 runs. His better known brother came to England in 1899 and again in 1905. He was born on January 19th, 1868.

THE REV. HENRY EDWARD MOBERLY, one of the oldest University cricketers, died in his sleep at Winchester, on September 22nd. As he was born at Madras on December 11th, 1822, he was in his eighty-fifth year at the time of his decease. He was in the Winchester XI. in 1839 and 1840, and played each year against Harrow and Eton. In the match with the latter in 1840 he scored 33, which was the second highest innings played for either side. For four years-1842 to 1845-he was in the Oxford XI., but did not once have the satisfaction of being on the winning side, Cambridge proving successful on three occasions, and the fourth match-that of 1844-being drawn. In 1843, in addition to being the only player to make double figures in both innings for Oxford, he took fourteen wickets with his medium-paced round-armed bowling. Mr. J. C. Moberly, of the Eton XI. of 1866, is his cousin.

MR. JOHN ALEXANDER MURDOCH, for 36 years Clerk to the Committee of the M.C.C., died of cancer in the throat, at 17, Elm Tree Road, St. John"s Wood, on July 6th. He was born on November 3rd, 1846, and was therefore in his sixty-first year at the time of his death. In 1878 he was appointed Assistant-Secretary to the Middlesex County C.C., and this post, as well as that already mentioned, he occupied to the last, fulfilling his duties with much ability and becoming very popular with all. In September, 1886, he received as a testimonial part of the proceeds of a match at Lord"s between the Australians and an England XI., and last year the Middlesex v. Essex on the same ground was set aside as a benefit for him, the M. C. C.heading the sub-scription list with £500. In 1903-4 Mr. Murdoch visited Australia as Manager of the M. C. C."s team.

MR. JOHN PATRICK MURPHY, K.C., a well-known member of the Surrey County C.C., and a great lover of the game, died on July 25th, at Norwood.

MR. FRANCIS ALLCOCK OLDAKER, one of the founders of the Epsom C.C., died at Epsom on May 18th, aged 62.

MR. HELON OLLIVIERRE, a member of the well-known cricketing brotherhood of St. Vincent, died on February 23rd, at the early age of 25. In the only two innings he played in the West Indies against Lord Brackley"s team he scored 45 and 47.

MR. W. A. PAINE, a great supporter of the game in the West Indies, and a member of the Jamaica Cricket Council, lost his life in the earthquake in Jamaica on January 14th.

MR. JOHN THEODORE PARRY, of the Buckinghamshire XI. of 1905 and 1906, died suddenly at Stoke House, Stoke Poges, on April 29th, aged 19. He was educated at Charterhouse, but did not obtain a place in the XI. In a match at Stoke House in August, 1905, between Stoke Place and Stoke House, he scored 189 not out for the latter, making 281 for the first wicket with Mr. V. C. Agnew (154). Stoke House made 406 for five wickets in 125 minutes, after Stoke Place had declared their innings closed at 366 for six wickets made in 145 minutes: altogether, therefore, the match produced 772 runs for eleven wickets in 270 minutes. Mr. Parry"s father was in the Charterhouse XI. in 1871 and three following years.

MR. THOMAS CHARLES PATTESON, who played for Canada against the United States in 1859, 1860, and 1865, was born at Patney, in Wiltshire, on October 5th, 1836, and died at Toronto on September 21st. He was educated at Eton and Oxford, but, although a good cricketer, did not obtain a place in either XI. He settled in Toronto in 1858, and was the promoter of the visit to America of Mr. Fitzgerald"s team in 1872. He was a very fine wicket-keeper, and a keen supporter of the game. John Coleridge Patteson, who played for Eton and Oxford, was his cousin.

MR. C. E. PERERA, one of the leading batsmen of Ceylon, died on February 27th. When playing for Ceylon v. Bombay Gymkhana, at Bombay in February 1906, he scored 80 (including fifteen boundaries) out of 117 in twenty-five minutes.

HENRY PICKETT, once so well known as a fast bowler for Essex and the M. C. C., came to a sad end. He disappeared on the 27th of September and his body was discovered on the beach at Aberavon on the 3rd of October. Not till the end of December, however, was his fate known, some articles found in his clothes proving his identity. Born on the 26th March, 1862, he was in his 46th year. For several seasons he was a valuable member of the Essex team. His best piece of work for the county was done in a match against Leicestershire at Leyton in 1895-the year in which Essex took part for the first time in the championship. At a cost of 32 runs he took all ten wickets in Leicestershire"s first innings. Despite his fine performance, however, Essex lost the game by 75 runs. After he retired from first-class cricket he was for some time coach at Clifton College.

ARTHUR PIKE, who kept wicket several times for Notts, in the mid-nineties, died at Keyworth, his native place, on November 15th after a long illness. He was born on December 25th, 1862, and learnt his cricket with the Keyworth C.C., of which he continued a member for almost thirty years, although in the eighties he joined the Notts Commercial Club and afterwards accepted an engagement at Leyland. His best wicket-keeping seasons-he succeeded Sherwin and was followed by Oates-were 1896 and 1897, his record in the former year being 27 caught and 7 stumped and in the latter 23 caught and 12 stumped. He scored freely when set, his highest innings being 66 v. Middlesex at Trent Bridge in 1896, 54 v. Surrey at the Oval the same year, and 50 v. Warwickshire at Edgbaston in 1894. His engagement at Lord"s dated back to 1895, and after his retirement from county cricket he frequently umpired in the great matches.

Mr. A. L. QUIN, a promising young South Australian cricketer, died on July 16th, in his twenty second year.

SAMUEL RAYNOR, who played for Derbyshire a few times in 1891, died at Heanor in the second week of September. Being unable to obtain a regular place in the side he qualified for Worcestershire, with which county he was associated for some years.

MR. W. W. READ died on January 6th. Born on November 23rd, 1855, he was in his 52nd year. A memoir of Mr. Read appeared inWisden for 1907, but it was too late to give any statistics of his remarkable career.

MR. THOMAS ROBINSON REANEY, a well-known member of the Belmont Club of Philadelphia, died at Vineland, N.J., on January 4th, aged 38. In 1894 he played a not-out innings of 169 for Belmont against Eddystone.

THE HON. MARKE GEORGE KERR ROLLE, of the Eton XI. of 1853 and 1854, was born at Heanton, North Devon, on November 13th, 1835, and died at Angeles, in France, on April 28th.Scores and Biographies (vi. 319) said of him: Is a good and steady batsman, while in the field he is generally wicket-keeper. In and about 1864 he became captain and manager of the Devonshire County XI., doing his utmost to keep that body together, and was a great patron and supporter of the 'noble game," especially in his own locality. He had been a member of the M. C. C. since 1863, and for many years was a Master of Foxhounds in his native county.

MR. ANDREW SCOTT, one of South Australia"s leading bowlers three decades ago, died at Ngoorla, Adelaide, on October 8th, aged 56. In the match at Adelaide in November, 1874, between XVIII of South Australia and XI of Victoria he obtained ten wickets for 73 runs, and that season (1874-75), when playing for North Adelaide, headed the Association bowling averages with 52 wickets at a cost of 4.05 runs each.

MR. WALTER SCOTT, a member of the Philadelphian team which visited England in 1889, died at Colorado Springs, of pneumonia, on October 24th, aged 39. He was born at Huntingdon, pa., on April 19th, 1864, and was educated at Pennsylvania University. He was a careful and good class batsman, a fine field, a very useful slow bowler. Against the Gentlemen of Surrey, at the Oval, he played an innings of 142 and took a dozen wickets, but owing to heavy scoring-the late Mr. W. W. Read made 105 and 130 for the home side-the match was drawn. He also scored 125 against the Gentlemen of Liverpool, and came out second in the averages to Mr. G. S. Patterson with over 34 runs an innings. For many years he was associated with the Belmont Club.

MR. A. R. SMITH, the captain of the Lucas C.C., the champion team of Jamaica, was killed in the Jamaica earthquake on January 14th.

GEORGE EDWARD MILLES,2ND EARL SONDES, died in London on October 1st in his forty-seventh year as the result of an operation necessitated by pleurisy contracted during the South African War. He was born at Lees Court, Faversham, on May 11th, 1861, and played his first match at Lord"s for Eton against Harrow, in July 1880. Mr. Haygarth described him as a good and steady batsman, and added that in the field he took no place in particular. He did not obtain his blue at Cambridge, but appeared for Kent four time in 1882 and twice in 1884, scoring 119 runs in seven completed innings with an average of 17. In his second county match-against Sussex at Gravesend-he opened the innings with Lord Harris (176) and, scoring 82, helped to make 208 for the first wicket. In a match at Huntingdon in July, 1881, when playing for Mr. A. E. Fellowes" XI. against Huntingdonshire, he played an innings of 123 and, in partnership with Mr. W. F. Forbes (331), scored 404 for the first wicket. In 1891 he was President of the Kent County C.C., and in the autumn of the same year visited America as a member of Lord Hawke"s team. Last Easter a report of his death was circulated, the result being that several obituary notices of him appeared. Lord Sondes, who played for the county whilst Viscount Throwley, was a member of a family which has been intimately associated with Kent cricket for over a century.

THE REV. EDWARD BRYAN COOMBE SPURWAY, a well-known member of the Somerset County C.C., died at Haines Hill, Taunton, on October 13th, aged 82. He was father of the late Capt. R. P. Spurway, and also had a son in the Charterhouse eleven.

MR. EDWARD JAMES STANLEY, J.P., father of the late Mr. H. T. Stanley, died at his seat, Quantock Lodge, on September 28th, aged 81. He had a capital ground at Quantock Lodge, where many good matches were played, and had served on the committee of the Somerset County C.C. He had been returned to Parliament for West Somerset and subsequently for the Bridgwater division of the county.

MR. ROBERT S. STILL, who introduced round-armed bowling into Australia in a match between the Australian and Victoria clubs at Sydney in March, 1843, died in July, aged 85. All his early cricket was played in New South Wales, and he kept up the game for many years after settling in Tasmania. He was a good all-round cricketer. He visited England in 1878 and witnessed the triumph of the Australians in their match with the M. C. C. at Lord"s.

MR. RALPH B. SWEET-ESCOTT a well-known Glamorganshire cricketer and Welsh international footballer, died of enteric fever at Johannesburg on November 10th.

MR. HERBERT S. THOMPSON, an old Sydney Grammar School boy, and a great lover of the game, died on March 2nd in his fifty-third year. He collapsed suddenly whilst walking towards the pavilion on the conclusion of his innings in a march at Concord Park, and died two hours later.

VALENTINE ADOLPHUS TITCHMARSH, one of the best umpires of recent years, died of locomotor ataxy at St. Albans on October 11th. He was born at Royston, in Cambridgeshire, on February 14th, 1853, but was always associated with Hertfordshire cricket. Score and Biographies (xiv., 82) described him as An excellent batsman, and a successful fast round-armed bowler, while in the field he takes no particular place ... He is a left-handed batsman, but bowls and fields right. Beginning his cricket as an amateur, he subsequently, commencing in 1880, appeared as a professional. About that time Hertfordshirepossessed some very good players in William Hearn, Titchmarsh, Hughes, Pearce, and Messrs. C. and H. Pigg, and in 1879 beat Sussex in the only two matches ever arranged with that county. Titchmarsh had a great deal to do with the two successes mentioned, for at Hitchin he took ten wickets for 35 runs and at Brighton thirteen for 60. Two years before, in the match with Essex at Hitchin, he had taken all ten wickets in the first innings for 33 runs and five in the second for 44. For a few years he was engaged as a bowler at Oxford, but in 1885 became a member of the ground staff at Lord"s and remained so until his death. His all-round cricket was always of great use in Club and Ground matches. His most notable performance was in June, 1892, when on successive days he took all ten wickets in an innings against Sherborne School, and scored 101 not out against Rossall. In 1906 the proceeds of the Middlesex v. Somerset match at Lord"s were set apart as a benefit for him by the M. C. C. in order to mark the Club"s appreciations of his services for over twenty years, but although between ten and twelve thousand spectators were present on the opening day the match scarcely proved so attractive as had been hoped and anticipated.

MR. B. L. VERLEY, who lost his life in the earthquake in Jamacia on January 14th, was a useful bowler. He appeared for Jamaica against Mr. Lucas" team in 1895, and Mr. Priestley"s in 1897.

MR. FREDERICK G. WARBURTON, a well known American club cricketer, died at Paterson (N.J.) on February 2nd. He was born at Kidd"s Grove, Staffordshire, on October 17th, 1870, and emigrated to the States in 1896.

MR. GEORGE ROLLS WARD, the hon secretary of the Buckinghamshire County C.C. from 1891 to 1903, died at New Court, Marlow, on April 20th, aged 57.

MR. SAMUEL WELSH, who played for the United States v. Canada in 1891, died at Philadelphia on August 9th. He was very prominently identified with the game in America for a number of years, and his decease was a great blow to the Philadelphia C.C. and the game in general in that part of the States. He was born on April 22nd, 1864.

ALFRED WHEELER, a fair batsman and useful wicket-keeper, who played for Surreyonce in 1872 and again in 1873, died in the middle of October. He was born at Croydon on October 2nd, 1847.

MR. C. R. WILCOX, the founder of the North-Western Cricket Association, and a well-known player at St. Paul (Minn.) and Seattle, died at Seattle (Wash.) on April 23rd, in his forty-sixth year. He was a Liverpool man by Birth.

EDWARD TURNOUR, 5TH EARL OF WINTERTON, was born at Shillinglee Park, near Petworth, in Sussex, on August 15th, 1837, and died there suddenly on September 5th. As Viscount Turnour he played in the Eton XI. of 1855 with fair all-round success. He appeared in five matches for Sussex between 1862 and 1867, and also assisted Norfolk on a few occasions. Mr. Haygarth described him as A good hard hitter, a fast round-armed bowler, and in the field generally cover-point and cover- slip. His highest innings in a match of note was 96 for Gentlemen of Sussex v. Gentlemen of Kent, at Brighton in 1867. In 1884 he was President of the M.C.C.

The following Deaths occurred during 1906, but particulars were not received in time for inclusion in


MR. ALEXANDER JOHNSTON CASSATT, the President of the Merion C.C., of Philadelphia from 1896 until his death, was born at Pittsburg on December 8th, 1839, and died at Philadelphia on December 28th, 1906. His estate was valued at over a hundred million dollars.

MR. C. J. LOGAN, one of the finest bowlers Canada has ever produced, died at Galt, Ontario, on December 21st, 1906. He was educated at Trinity College School, and appeared for Canada against the United States in 1880, 1881, and 1883. He was a very fine field and a useful batsman. In 1879 he played with success against the England team which visited America that year, taking seven wickets for 35 runs for XXII. Canadian-born cricketers at Toronto, and six for 39 for XVII. of Hamilton, at Hamilton. His portrait can be seen in Sixty Years of Canadian Cricket, facing page 288.

MR. M. F. MACLEOD. A member of the committee of management of the Tasmanian Cricket Association, died on November 26th, 1906, aged 43.

MR. C. E. MCELROY, who died at Toronto in November, 1906, appeared for Canada against the United States at Philadelphia earlier in the year. He was born in Cheshire in 1870, and settled in Canada in 1903.

MR. HENRY RICHARD TOMKINSON, of the Rugby XI, of 1846 and 1847, died on December 9th, 1906, in his seventy-sixth year. He was a very fair batsman, and in 1846, when only 15 years of age, played an innings of 44 v. M. C. C. and Ground against the bowling of Caldecourt and Royston. In 1852 he rowed in the Cambridge Eight at Henley.

© John Wisden & Co