Obituaries in 1908

DR. BERTRAM LOUIS ABRAHAMS, M.B., B.Sc., F.R.C.P., died on June 21st, aged 38. He was Hon. Secretary to the Bucks County C.C.

CANON JAMES AITKEN, who died at Brighton, on January 26th, was born at Hadley, in Middlesex, on May 9th, 1829. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1846 and 1847 and in the three following years played for Oxford, being Captain in 1850. He was a fine free hitter and an excellent field at long-leg, mid-off and cover-point: against Harrow in 1846 he hit a 6 and a 7 off consecutive balls in an innings of 38. Among his contemporaries at Oxford were A., C., H., and W. Ridding, G. E. Yonge, J. W. Chitty, and the Hon. E. V. Bligh. He was twice on the winning side against Cambridge, including the year in which he was captain. The 1848 match was played on the Magdalen Ground, the second at Lord's and the third on Cowley Marsh. Canon Aitken was a famous oar and one of the founders of the University Athletic Sports. His younger brother, Mr. H. M. Aitken, was also a well-knwon cricketer in his day, playing for Eton, Oxford, and the Gentlemen and being asked to assist Surrey when only 15 years of age.

MR. THOMAS EDWARD BAGGE, who was born at Gaywood Hall, Lynn, on April 30th, 1838, died at his native place on October 23rd in his seventy-first year. He was a sound, patient batsman and good field in the now obsolete position of long-stop. As a member of the Eton XI. in 1856 and 1857, he scored 11 and 26 in the two matches with Winchester, Eton winning on each occasion in an innings. There was no meeting with Harrow in 1856, and in the following year, when Etonians under 21 played Harrovians under 20, he made only 0 and 3, the late Henry Arkwright taking his wicket in each innings. Going up to Cambridge, Mr. Bagge just missed obtaining his Blue as a Freshman, but he was in the Eleven in each of the three following years, being Captain in his last. Although he made only 61 runs in six innings against Oxford, he was on the winning side in each year. Cambridge had several find cricketers in residence at that period, among Mr. Bagge's contemporaries being Hon. C. G. Lyttelton, W. H. Benthall, E. B. Fawcett, F. H. Norman, G. E. Cotterill, H. M. Marshall, Denzil Onslow, H. M. Plowden, R. Lang, and A. W. T. Daniel. In 1860, a year before he left the University, Mr. Bagge was selected for the match at the Oval between the Gentlemen and Players, and he thoroughly justified his inclusion by making 62 and 60--the highest score for his side in each innings--against the bowling of Jackson, Caffyn, Stephenson, and Hayward. His largest innings in a match of note was 81 for the University against M.C.C and Ground at Fenner's in 1860, when David Buchanan and Grundy were among the bowlers opposed to him. Mr. Bagge was intimately associated with Norfolk cricket, and for some time was Hon. Secretary to the County Club, a position which ill-health compelled him to resign in 1865. In 1852 and 1853 his elder brother, Mr. R. S. Bagge, was a member of the Eton Eleven.

THE VEN. WILLIAM LATHAM BEVAN, who died at Hay on August 25th in his eighty-seventh year, was a useful player in his Rugby and Oxford days, although he did not obtain a place in either Eleven. In 1838 and 1839 he occasionally represented the Sixth against the School at Rugby. He was Vicar of Hay for 56 years, 1845-1900.

MR. ARTHUR BLACKMAN, who played for three counties, died on April 6th, at Brighton, where he had for many years been a schoolmaster. He played in one match for Surrey in 1878, three times for Kent in 1879 and 1880, and on fifteen occasions for Sussex between 1881 and 1887. He was a free and attractive batsman, a good field at cover-point, and a useful medium-paced bowler. His height was 6ft. 1/2in. and weight (in 1878) 13st. For Brighton and District Teachers v. Eastbourne, at Brighton, in 1881, he scored 255 not out, but in important cricket his highest innings was 73 for Sussex v. Hampshire at Southampton in 1885. He was born at Dartford, in Kent, on October 13th, 1853, and was half-brother to F. Martin.

THE HON. AND REV. EDWARD VESEY BLIGH, J. P., uncle of the Earl of Darnley, died suddenly at Fartherwell, West Malling, Kent, on April 22nd, in his eightieth year. Scores and Biographies (iii., 613) says of him: A hard hitter, especially excelling in the drive, bowls slow round-armed, and fields generally middle wicket or short- slip. He was also at one time a very fair wicket-keeper. He was born in London, on February 28th, 1829, and was a member of a family which has been intimately associated with Kent cricket for over a hundred years. He did not obtain a place in the Eton Eleven, but was more fortunate at Oxford, playing against Cambridge on Cowley Marsh in 1850, when he scored 27 and 0 and was on the winning side. During the fifteen years over which his career as a county cricketer extended he assisted Kent on twenty-three occasions, taking eight wickets at a cost of 18 runs each and making 395 runs with an average of 11.28, his highest innings being 53 against England at Canterbury in 1862. His name will also be found in the Middlesex XI. in 1862, although in that year he assisted Kent as well. From 1850 until 1855 he was in the Diplomatic Service, being successively Attaché at Hanover, Florence, and Berlin, but afterwards entered the Church. Mr. Bligh was one of the original trustees on the Mynn Memorial Benevolent Institution for Kentish Cricketers and the author of a most interesting pamphlet, printed at Maidstone in 1896 for private circulation, entitled Former Kent Cricket.

MR. HENRY BODEN, of Derby, brother of Mr. Walter Boden, died in London on November 13th, at the age of 72. He took a prominent part in the formation of the Derbyshire County C.C., and at the time of his death was the oldest member of the Meynell and Quorn Hunts. In 1862 he arranged the match at Nottingham between Gentlemen of the North and Gentlemen of the South and would have played for the former had not the death of his father prevented. He was educated at Rugby, but did not obtain a place in the Eleven.

MR. TREVOR BOWRING, a young cricketer of the greatest promise, died from blood-poisoning at Ditton Hill, Surrey, on August 7th, in his twenty-first year. He learnt his cricket at a preparatory school kept by the Rev. H. C. Lenox Tindall, at Oare, near Hastings, and, proceeding to Rugby, secured a place in the Eleven in 1904, when he headed the batting averages with 29.38 for thirteen completed innings. In 1907 he went up to Oxford and obtained his Blue as a Freshman, but scored only 12 and 18 not out in the rather low-scoring match with Cambridge. Last year he played an innings of 228 in the match at Oxford with the Gentlemen of England, and with H. Teesdale (108) scored 338 for the first wicket. He made his runs in 210 minutes, hit a 6 and thirty 4's, and gave only one chance--to MacLaren in the slips when 156. In the University match he made only 14 runs in his two innings, but his bowling--slow with a distinct swerve--accounted for five wickets for 44. He played several times for Surrey 2nd XI., and in 1906, when he carried his bat through the innings for 118 against Lancashire 2nd XI., averaged 35.41 for twelve innings. Mr. Harvey Bowring, of the Rugby XI. of 1901 and 1902, is his brother, and Mr. W. B. Stoddart, of Liverpool, his cousin.

MR. ARTHUR BURROWS, the oldest cricketer who had played in a match of note at Lord's, died at The Larches, Beckenham, on September 13th, in his ninety-seventh year. He was born on August 26th, 1812, and played for Winchester against Eton at Lord's in 1829, when he scored 0 not out and 17. He was known as The Father of the English Bar, being the oldest practising barrister in England, and until a short time before his death went to his chambers in Lincoln's Inn regularly two or three times a week.

MR. WILFRED SELKIRK BUTTERWORTH, who appeared for Lancashire on a few occasions in 1877 and 1882, died at Rochdale on April 9th. Scores and Biographies (xiv., 95) described him as An average batsman and field.

MR. JOHN CAULFIELD, a very well-known Metropolitan club cricketer, died on July 15th. In 1870 he founded the Holborn C.C., now known at the North Middlesex, and took over a thousand wickets for the club with his slow bowling.

MR. HENRY CHADWICK, a prolific writer on outdoor sports and a great authority on baseball, died at Brooklyn, N. Y., on April 20th. In 1873 he published his American Cricket Manual, containing the scores of the principal international matches of 1859, 1868 and 1872. He was born at Jessamine Cottage, St. Thomas Exeter, on October 25th, 1824.

HENRY ARTHUR CADOGAN, Viscount Chelsea, eldest son of 5th Earl Cadogan, died after a long illness on July 2nd, at Temple House, Theobalds Park, Hertfordshire. He was born on June 13th, 1868, and was educated at Eton, where he was in the Eleven in 1887. In the match with Harrow he scored 72 not out and 6, his first innings being the result of clean and well-timed hitting. He represented Bury St. Edmunds in parliament from 1892 until 1900, during part of which time he was private secretary to Mr. Balfour.

MR. ARTHUR JOHN CHITTY, of the Eton XI. in 1877 and 1878, died in London on January 6th in his forty-ninth year. In the matches with Winchester he scored 23 runs in three innings and against Harrow 4 in one. He was a useful bat, but it was his wicket keeping which gained him a place in the Eleven. He was the eldest son of the late Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Chitty, who played for Eton from 1844 until 1847 and for Oxford in 1848 and 1849.

MR. W. H. COEN, for several years President of the Chicago Cricket Association, died at Chicago, Illinois, on February 15th. He was born at Harbor Grace, Newfoundland, on July 7th, 1850.

MR. F. J. COLTMAN died in London on January 9th, in his seventy-seventh year. He was the wicket-keeper of the Eton XI. of 1850, which beat Harrow by seven wickets and Winchester by five.

MR. ROBERT COOK, who was born at Stratford in February, 1858, died at Chelmsford on August 7th. For many years he was a member of the Essex County C.C. Committee, and was also prominently identified with Association football.

MR. SYDNEY MORLAND CROSFIELD, the well-known Lancashire cricketer, died at Las Palmas on January 30th, in his forty-seventh year. He was born at Warrington on November 12th, 1861, and was educated at Wimbledon School, Surrey, where he was in the Eleven in 1878 and 1879. Originally a fast bowler, he, upon returning to the north, changed to slow as he found that pace far better suited to the slower wickets. He was a hard-working field and a very useful batsman, his best efforts invariably being made when runs were of moment to his side. His first appearance for Lancashire was against Oxford University in 1883 when, by making 43 and 49, he proved the greatest run-getter in the team. Although he scored 176 runs in ten innings for the County that season he was not, curiously enough, accorded another good trial for five years. During that period he became associated with Cheshire cricket, with no small credit to himself and with distinct advantage to the County. In 1885, when he played for two counties, he appeared for Lancashire against Oxford University and for Cheshire against Lancashire. To state that he scored 1,886 runs in first-class cricket with an average of 17.33 is to give no idea whatever of his worth to a side, for the greater need there was for runs the better he seemed to play. He was, too, a very good captain. His highest score was 82 not out which he made against Yorkshire at Bradford in 1891 and against Notts at Trent Bridge a year later, but beyond doubt his best innings was 57 on a difficult wicket against Surrey at the Oval in 1891. After retiring from first-class cricket Mr. Crosfield kept in the closest touch with the game, and many players are only too glad to acknowledge how much they owe to his encouragement. He was a fine shot with the gun and two years in succession won the Grand Prix de Casino at Monte Carlo.

MR. A. G. DAY, who was born at Dewsbury on September 20th, 1864, died at his native place on October 16th. He played in eleven matches for Yorkshire between 1885 and 1888, making 163 runs in seventeen innings with an average of 9.58. His highest score was 63 against Leicestershire at Huddersfield in 1888.

MR. HENRY DENNE, J.P., who died of heart-failure at Minchinhampton, near Stroud, on January 5th, in his seventy-eighth year, was an enthusiastic supporter of cricket. He did not obtain a place in the eleven at either Eton or Oxford, and is best remembered as one of the founders of the Band of Brothers. He was very regular in his attendance at the University and Eton v. Harrow matches, and seldom missed seeing Gloucestershire play at Cheltenham and Gloucester. He was a good oar and rowed No. 5 in the Oxford crew of 1852, which was known as Chitty's and was always held up as a model of what an eight should be.

FREDERICK ARTHUR STANLEY, 16th Earl of Derby, died suddenly at Holwood, Kent, on June 14th. He was born in London on January 15th, 1841, and had for many years been Vice-President of the Lancasshire County C.C.

MR. MARCUS JOHN DODWORTH died at Bamford, Derbyshire, on August 20th, in his sixty-first year. At the time of his death he was senior Vice-President of the Yorkshire County C.C., with which he had been connected for thirty-two years.

MR. EDWARD LEE EDE died suddenly at Southampton on July 7th. He was educated at Eton but, although a good all-round cricketer, did not obtain a place in the Eleven. A batsman of considerable skill, he also kept wicket and bowled lobs with success on many occasions: he learnt to bowl through watching old Clarke coaching the boys at Eton. His chief scores in matches of note were--all for the Gentlemen of Hampshire against the Gentlemen of Sussex:--95 at Brighton in 1863, 73 at Southampton in 1864, and 66 at Brighton in 1865. In 1864, as he was fond of recalling, he was one of the Fourteen of Hampshire who, at the Oval, gained the only victory obtained over Surrey that season. He had a considerable share in the success as, in addition to scoring 25, he took six wickets for 60 runs in an innings of 233, dismissing Tom Humphrey, E. W. Tritton, Caesor, Edward Dowson, Lockyer, and Tom Sewell, junr. Mr. Ede was closely associated with Hampshire cricket all his life, and to the day of his death took the keenest interest in the fortunes of the County. For many years he was editor of the Hampshire County Cricket Guide, and for almost a quarter of a century, commencing in 1882, was honorary scorer to the county team. He was born at Southampton on February 22nd, 1834, and at one time was prominently identified with the turf, having several horses in training. His twin brother, Mr. G. M. Ede, was a very well-known gentleman jockey: he won the Grand National on The Lamb for Earl Poulett in 1868, and was killed two years later when riding Chippenham for the same owner in the Sefton Steeplechase at Liverpool.

MR. J. W. EVERS, well-known as a club cricketer in Sydney and as an inter-State umpire, died at Randwick, Sydney, on May 30th, aged 42. He was the elder brother of Mr. H. A. Evers, who has kept wicket for New South Wales and West Australia, and brother-in-law of Mr. C. W. Patrick.

MR. HENRY MONTAGUE FAITHFUL, who was born at Springfield, near Goulburn, on June 16th, 1847, died at Elizabeth Bay, Sydney, on October 22nd, aged 61. He captained Sydney University in the first match against Melbourne University on the Melbourne Ground--in December, 1870--and in 1871 and 1875 played for New South Wales against Victoria. For many years he filled the position of President of the University C.C. He was right-handed both as batsman and bowler, and was over 6ft. in height.

THE REV. SAMUEL WILLIAM FEATHERSTONE, the Hon. Secretary of the Devon County C.C., died at Pinhoe, near Exeter, on May 17th. He was in his fifty-third year at the time of his death.

MR. JEROME FLANNERY, editor of the American Cricket Annual, died of tuberculosis at Brooklyn, N.Y., on May 7th. He was born in Dublin on February 23rd, 1865, and was a useful player. In 1900 he was President of New York Cricket Association.

THOMAS WILLIAM GUNN, who was born at Croydon on July 10th, 1843, died at his native place on May 4th. For some years he was a member of ground staff at the Oval and he played for Surrey three times in 1863 and three times in 1869. He was a very useful club cricketer, but did practically nothing for the County, scoring only 52 runs in eleven innings. Scores and Biographies (viii.-45) says of him:-- As a batsman he possesses an excellent style, hitting well to all parts, especially forward and to leg, being a pupil of the late Tom Lockyerââ,¬¦ In the field he is generally mid-wicket-off or cover-point, and bowls rather slow round-armed. He was only 5ft. 1½ ins. in height.

THE REV. OCTAVIUS HAMMOND, who died at Herringswell on August 22nd, was born at Newmarket on March 19th, 1838, and educated at Uppingham, where he was in the Eleven from 1850 to 1852, being Captain in his last year. In 1855 and two following years he played for Cambridge against Oxford, but made only 23 runs in five completed innings. In Scores and Biographies (v.-30) he was described as A very fine, free hitter, and an admirable field at long-leg or cover-point. At Fenner's in 1857 he scored 52 not out for the University against the Cambridge Town Club, who had Buttress, Reynolds, and Arnold to bowl for them. Mr. Hammond had been Rector of Herringswell, Mildenhall, Suffolk, since 1867.

MR. JOHN L. HARDMAN, a well-known American club cricketer, died at Philadelphia (Pa.) on May 26th, in his sixty-first year.

MAJOR W. EVERSLEY HARDY, for some years a member of the Committee of the M.C.C., died in April. (He was buried at Bath on April 11th.)

JOHN HAY, a younger brother of George Hay, of Lord's, was crushed to death on February 4th whilst at work in the Ireland Colliery of the Staveley Company. He was born at Staveley, in Derbyshire, on May 13th, 1854, and was a very steady batsman and a useful fast right-handed bowler. He played for the Derbyshire Colts on one occasion but never appeared for the County, although in and about 1880 he was fully entitled to a trial. During his athletic career he won 122 prizes.

WILLIAM HEARNE, the father of Walter, J. T., and the late Herbert Hearne, died at Chalfont St. Giles, Bucks., on July 17th, two days after celebrating his eightieth birthday. He was a good local cricketer in his day.

MR. JOHN KNILL JOPE HICHENS, ex-Chairman of the London Stock Exchange, died at Ascot on March 9th. He was born on December 8th, 1836, and was in the Winchester XI. of 1855. The match with Harrow had been discontinued and against Eton he did little, scoring only 1 and 0, Winchester being beaten by 46 runs.

CAPT. CHARLES ARTHUR RICHARD HOARE, for three years President of the Hampshire County C.C., died at Hall Place, West Meon, on May 22nd, after a long illness. He was born in London on May 18th, 1847, and became a member of the M.C.C. in 1865, when only eighteen years of age. He was a useful batsman, but he never made a name for himself in first-class cricket. In 1872 he appeared in the Kent XI. on one occasion, he then residing at Beckenham. He founded, and maintained at his own expense, the training-ship Mercury, at Hamble, where over a thousand boys have been trained and educated.

MR. JOSEPH HONE, a member of the well-known Irish cricketing family, died at Roebuck Grove, Dublin, on March 10th. He was born at Dublin on March 28th, 1850, and was therefore in his fifty-eighth year at the time of his death. He was educated at Rugby, but was not in the Eleven. In later years he developed into an excellent wicket-keeper and a sound batsman, and for long was prominently identified with the Phoenix Park C.C. In 1879 he accompanied the Gentlemen of Ireland on their trip to America, but played in only two of the matches. At the time of his death he was a Director and past Governor of the Bank of Ireland.

THE REV. EDWARD LARKIN HORNE, who was in the Eleven at Shrewsbury and Cambridge, died at Whissendine on February 5th. He was a right-hand medium-paced bowler who came in from leg, and, remarks Scores and Biographies, was especially noted for his energy. He would keep pegging away at the stumps and never seemed to tire. In the field he was generally long- slip or short-leg. He played against Oxford in 1855, 1857, and 1858, but did not once have the satisfaction of being on the winning side. In the three matches he took seven wickets at a cost of 19.14 runs each and scored 33 runs in five completed innings. He was born at Bloomsbury on April 22nd, 1835, and was vicar of Whissendine, Oakham, from 1864 until 1906, when he retired on account of ill-health.

MR. THOMAS HENRY ICETON, a very useful all-round cricketer, died suddenly at Burradoo, Ashfield, New South Wales, on May 19th, aged 58. In 1870 he appeared at Melbourne in the first match played there between the Universities of Sydney and Melbourne, and in December, 1877, represented New South Wales against Victoria on the same ground.

MR. C. L. JOHNSON, at one time one of the best-known Irish cricketers, died at Maraisburg, in the Transvaal, on May 31st, in his thirty-eighth year. He was born in County Kildare and educated at Dublin University, where he was in the Eleven from 1889 to 1893. Playing against Cambridge University at Dublin in 1892 he scored 49 and 56 against the bowling of E. C. Streatfeild, F. S. Jackson, C. M. Wells and H. R. Bromley-Davenport, and later in the year visited America as a member of the Gentlemen of Ireland's team. In 1893, owing to ill-health, he left his native country and settled in the Transvaal, and in the following year came to England as a member of the first South African team. During the tour he scored 508 runs with an average of 14.32 and took fifty wickets at a cost of 17.27 runs each. He made 112 against Liverpool and District and 79 against the Gentlemen of Ireland. He afterwards represented the Transvaal, and in March, 1896, was included in a South African Eleven which met Lord Hawke's team at Johannesburg. He was a fast right-handed bowler and a good bat.

MR. RALPH JOYCE, who was born at Ashby-de-la-Zouch on August 28th, 1878, died suddenly at Ashbourne, in Derbyshire, on March 12th. Educated at the Ashby and Bedford Grammar Schools, he assisted Leicestershire two years prior to proceeding to Brasenose College, Oxford. In the Oxford Freshmen's match of 1898 he made 82, and two years later scored 37 and 25 in Trial matches, but he never appeared in the University eleven. His first match for Leicestershire was against Essex at Leicester in 1896 and his last against Kent on the same ground in 1907. He was a free and stylish batsman, a splendid field, and a useful slow bowler. In 1902 he headed the county's averages with 38.00 for seven completed innings. His largest score in a match of note was 102 v. Notts at Trent Bridge in 1905.

COL. THE RT. HON. WILLIAM SLANEY KENYON-SLANEY, P.C., M.P., who died of pneumonia at Hatton Grange, Shifnal, Shropshire, on April 24th, was born at Rajkote, in India, on August 24th, 1848, and was educated at Eton and Oxford, but did not obtain a place in either Eleven. He played a great deal of cricket at various times for M. C. C., I Zingari, and the Household Brigade and was instrumental in securing the Guards' cricket-ground at Burton's Court, Chelsea. Scores and Biographies (xi.-147) says of him:-- Has played in various matches with success, while his fielding is good, often taking cover-point… Height 5ft. 91/2 ins. weight 11st. He served on the Committee of the Marylebone and Prince's Clubs, being on the former for eight years. Since 1886 he had been Unionist M.P. for the Newport Division of Shropshire, and shortly before the fall of the last Unionist Government was appointed to the Privy Council.

MR. ARTHUR LAMB, of Cheltenham, died at Margate on July 26th, aged 40. He played for Gloucestershire against Yorkshire at Bradford in 1895 and against Lancashire at Bristol in 1896, but was not on the winning side on either occasion. He was a useful all-round cricketer and met with considerable success in club matches.

MR. JOHN CHARLES LANE, for many years a member of the Committee of the Warwickshire County C.C., and its Treasurer since 1901, died suddenly on August 22nd, after returning from a match on the Edgbaston ground. He was in his sixty-eighth year.

THE REV. ROBERT LANG, who was born at Jessore, in India, on April 6th, 1840, died at Woodham Walter, in Essex, of which place he was rector, on March 23rd, in his sixty-eighth year. Mr. Haygarth, in Scores and biographies (v. 90), said of him:-- His round-armed bowling at the commencement of his cricketing career was slow, but afterwards (about 1858) the pace was tremendous, being one of the fastest bowlers that has ever appeared, and with a break-back from the off. If he had only been a little straighter, he would have been excelled by none, though he was by no means a wide bowler, and was at times most effective. As a batsman he was a fine and hard hitter, and in the field he was an admirable short- slip… When quite young and bowling in practice (August, 1854) at Canterbury during the Week, William Lillywhite, the famous old bowler, gave him some advice, and prophesied his future excellence. This was probably the veteran's last appearance on a cricket round, for two days after the conclusion of the Week mentioned he was dead. Mr. Lang was a member of the Harrow XI. from 1855 until 1859, being Captain in his last two years. In the matches with Eton he scored 37 runs in two completed innings and took twelve wickets for 89 runs; the two sides did not meet in 1856 and in 1857 the match which took place was not a regular one between the two XI's. Mr. Lang, therefore, played against Eton three times, and on each occasion Harrow won by an innings. Proceeding to Cambridge, he secured his Blue as a Freshman, and was for three seasons a member of the University XI. Again he was fortunate enough to be on the successful side each season in the most important match, Oxford being beaten by three wickets in 1860, by 133 runs in 1861, and by eight wickets in 1862. It was on account of his bowling for Cambridge that he will always be remembered. His pace was terrific--by some deemed greater than that of Tarrant and Jackson--and his hand below the shoulder in delivery in accordance with the wording of Law X., as it stood until June 10th, 1864, when all restriction as to height of hand was abolished. Had not Cambridge possessed an excellent long-stop in Mr. Herbert Marshall, his bowling would have been very expensive to the side owing to the number of byes which would have resulted. In the three matches in which he played for the University in London in 1860 he was most successful, averaging nine with the bat and obtaining nineteen wickets at a cost of four runs each. Against England at Lord's he took three wickets for 20 runs; against Surrey at the Oval ten for 37 (four for 14 and six for 23), and in the University match six for 19 (one for 9 and five for 10). In the following year he was ineffective, but in 1862 he closed his University career in great style by taking ten wickets for 26 runs (six for 21 and four for 5) against Surrey at the Oval, and nine for 35 (five for 4 and four for 31) against Oxford at Lord's. He had just before obtained three wickets in an over for one run against the Gentlemen of Cambridgeshire; therefore in his last three matches for the University he took twenty-two wickets for 62 runs. He was a useful batsman, and twice exceeded the half-century, making 63 against Cambridge Town Club in 1861 and 59 v. Surrey at the Oval in 1862. He was a broad-shouldered and powerfully built mat, and could hit very hard when set. Mr. Clement Booth, the captain of the Cambridge XI of 1864, wrote:-- Bob Lang was certainly the fastest bowler I have ever seen in a 'Varsity XI., while the prettiest sight I ever witnessed was to see Herbert Marshall long-stopping to him. Remember in those days the grounds were not so perfect as they are now, and Bob was a little erratic at times; but Marshall hardly ever let a bye, and his return was wonderfully pretty, a sort of underhand jerk back to the bowler, the wicket-keeper standing short- slip, as nobody could `take' Bob Lang, half of his balls never leaving the ground at all. Lord Cobham, perhaps better known to cricketers as the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton, has also testified to his skill. I do not recollect seeing him, Booth, Daniel, Marshall, or Bury ever miss a catch, he wrote; and again, He was in his day perhaps the best University bowler ever seen, being very straight for a bowler of his great pace. In the opinion of the Hon. Robert Grimston he was the finest short- slip in England. In 1860 Robert Lang was chosen for the Gentlemen v. Players match at Lord's. The Gentlemen had won only once since 1849, and nobody was surprised to see them beaten again in an innings. Lang took two wickets, those of Caffyn and John Lillywhite, for 64 runs, and had the pleasure of seeing Hayward play an innings of 132. Two years later he appeared in the Oval match, which witnessed the late Mr. John Walker's fine innings of 98. The match ended in a draw, the Players, with two wickets in hand, requiring 33 runs to win. In the second inningsof the Players Mr. Lang's bowling was ineffective, but in the first he disposed of Cæsar, Griffith, and Caffyn for 99 runs. Ten days later he took part in the match at Lord's, in which the sides were restricted to cricketers under thirty years of age; he took three wickets, including Daft's, for 98 runs, and the Gentlemen were beaten by 157 runs. Owing to his profession, the Church, he did not keep up the game after 1862. His elder brother, Mr. G. L. Lang, was the fast bowler of the Harrow XI. in 1854 and 1855.

HERBERT LEE, who was born at Lockwood, inYorkshire, on July 2nd, 1856, died at his native place on February 4th. He came into note in May, 1885, through scoring 141 for Yorkshire Colts v. Notts Colts at Trent Bridge. In the year named he played in five matches for Yorkshire, but made only 20 runs in six innings, his highest score being 12 against Middlesex at Lord's. G. H. Lee, who played for the County once in 1875, is his brother.

MR. MARCUS TREVELYAN MARTIN, died on June 5th in Portland Place, W., after an operation for appendicitis. He was born at Barrackpore, in India, on April 29th, 1842, and was educated at Rugby, where he was in the Eleven from 1858 to 1861. During his last year at the school he was chosen to assist the Gentlemen of the North against the Gentlemen of the South at the Oval, and he thoroughly justified his selection by playing an innings of 63. He obtained his Blue as a Freshman in 1862, but made only 13 against Oxford, although earlier in the season he had played a not-out innings of 103 against a Cambridgeshire side which included the famous Buttress. In 1864 he made 53 v. M. C. C. at Fenner's and 90 v. Surrey at the Oval, but again proved a disappointment in the Lord's match, scoring only 3 runs in his two innings. He appeared for Middlesex in 1870 and occasionally assisted Warwickshire. In addition to being a good and safe bat he was a fair wicket-keeper.

MR. MICHAEL JOSEPH MCMAHON, died at Drummoyne, New South Wales, on August 31st in his eighty-second year. At one time he was proprietor of the largest sports depot in Sydney, and in 1870 he published McMahon's Cricket and Sports Manual (134 pp), which had been compiled by Mr. Peter C. Curtis.

MR. ROBERT WEBBER MONRO, who was born on March 28th 1838, died at Coombe Wood, Kingston-on-Thames, on June 10th. He was in the Harrow Eleven in 1856 and 1857 and appeared for Oxford against Cambridge in 1860. He did little, however, in the most important matches, and did not make a name for himself as a player. In 1860 he and William, now Sir William, Hart-Dyke, represented Oxford at Racquets against Cambridge and won 4-2.

MR. HARRY C. E. NEWCOMBE, who appeared for New South Wales against Victoria in 1861 and two following years, died at Randwick, Sydney, on October 26th, in his seventy-fourth year.

MR. ANDREW L. NEWELL, the well-known Australian cricketer, left home over a year ago and has not been seen or heard of since. He had been in indifferent health for some time and had been advised to take a month's holiday. It is probable that he lost his life over the sea cliffs in the vicinity of Ben Buckler, near Bondi. He was born on November 13th, 1870, and was a very useful all-round player identified with the Glebe Electorate C. C. of Sydney. He will be best remembered on account of his not-out innings of 68 for New South Wales in the return match with Stoddart's team at Sydney in February 1898. He added 169 for the eighth wicket with S. E. Gregory (171) and 109 for the last in sixty-three minutes with Howell, who claimed 95 of the number. New South Wales, who had made 415 in their first innings, scored 574 in their second, and won by 239 runs.

MR. JAMES NIXON, a well-known Durban cricketer, died at Addington Hospital on February 20th. He was born in Belfast and had been settled five years in Durban, where he was identified with the Queen's Park C. C.

MR. DENZIL ROBERTS ONSLOW, who was a member of the Surrey Committee for over a quarter of a century, died suddenly at Little St. James' St., S. W., on March 21st. He was born at Chittore, Madras, on June 12th, 1839 and was educated at Brighton College, where he was in the Eleven, among his contemporaries being Messrs E. B. Fawcett, G. E. Cotterill, and A. E. Bateman. Scores and Biographies (vi.-393) says of him:-- Height 6ft., weight 12st. Fields anywhere, except as wicket-keeper or long-stop, and is a very hard hitter indeed. He was also a useful change bowler. In 1860 and 1861 he was a member of the Cambridge Eleven and on each occasion was on the winning side: in the two matches he took four wickets for 41 runs and scored 77 runs in four innings. Residence for some years in India, where he was private secretary to

ALFRED PAYNE died of consumption at Leicester, his native place, on May 7th. He kept wicket for his county on five occasions, catching six and stumping one. He was only a moderate bat. His first match for Leicestershire was against the West Indians in 1906.

COMMANDER H. F. PHILBRICK, who was well-known in Indian cricketing circles, died in September. He captained the Bombay Gymkhana team in 1907 and also kept wicket for the Presidency.

GEORGE PORTER, who was born at Spondon, near Derby, on December 3rd, 1861, died at his native place on July 15th, after a long and painful illness caused by sunstroke. After fulfilling many engagements in Lancashire he was tried for Derbyshire in 1881, but, not meeting with much success did not again appear in county cricket until 1888. He then quickly made his place in the Eleven secure, and for several seasons was one of the best bowlers on the side. He delivered the ball at a good pace and at times was very effective. In 1895, his best season, he took seventy-eight wickets in first-class matches for 16.74 runs each. Against Lancashire at Derby he took five wickets for one run upon going on for the third time and thereby brought success to his side by 63 runs. The same season ( 1895) he credited himself with the highest score of his career in a great match--93 against Notts. at Trent Bridge. In 1891, when Surrey were the Champions, he took ten wickets for 121 runs in the match at the Oval and thereby had a very prominent share in a memorable victory by ten wickets. He played his last first class match in 1896, and afterwards took to umpiring. Porter was 6ft. 2in. in height and weighed 14st. 31bs.

THE REV. EDWARD MORRIS REYNOLDS died at Ambleside on April 3rd. He was a member of the Cambridge Eleven in 1853 and 1854, in each of which years Oxford won by an innings. Mr. Reynolds scored only 18 runs in four innings, but the 1854 match he bowled seven overs for eight runs and two wickets--those of E. L. Bateman and E. H. L. Willes. He was born at Clapham, in Surrey, on August 30th, 1830, and was one of the best-known lovers of sport in the North of England. For over a quarter of a century he was Master of the Coniston Foxhounds.

MR. JOSEPH ROWLEY, one of the most active members of the Lancashire County C.C. in its early days, died at Dee Bank, Queensferry, near Chester, on November 18th. He was a member of the well-known cricketing family, his brothers, Messrs. A. B., Ernest, and E. B. Rowley, all being prominently associated with the club. Mr. Joseph Rowley, who was born in 1831, frequently played for the Manchester Club, and was the highest scorer, with 57, in the first match ever played by the Lancashire county C.C.--against Birkenhead Park at Warrington in June, 1864. He was an all-round athlete and excelled at golf, although he did not take up the game until he was past 60 years of age.

WILLIAM RUSSELL, a member of the Glamorgan XI. for nine years, died at Cowbridge, South Wilts., on March 8th in his forty-first year. His highest score for the County was 143 against Berkshire at Cardiff in 1899. In 1894 and 1895 he appeared on four occasions for Middlesex 2nd XI.

MR. ALGERNON RUTTER, a brother of Mr. Edward Rutter, the well-known Middlesex amateur, was born at Montague House, Uxbridge, Middlesex, on September 12th, 1840, and died at Bexhill on March 9th. He was in the Rugby Eleven in 1857 and two following years. In the year named, when Rugby beat Marlborough at the Oval by an innings and 83 runs, he took five wickets for 34 runs but failed to contribute to his side's total of 234. In his last year at the School he lost his bowling and took to wicket-keeping. He was fast left-handed bowler but batted right. In 1859, in the match with M.C.C and Ground at Lord's, he scored 16 and 127 against the bowling of Dean and Royston.

MR. CHARLES RAYMOND ALEXANDER SIEGLE, of the Dulwich College XI., of 1904 and 1905, was drowned with his fiancée at Staines on September 13th. He was only twenty-one years of age.

FREDERICK SMITHSON, manager of the St. George's Cricket Grounds in Hoboken for more than twenty years, died on April 12th at West Hoboken in his sixty-first year. He formerly had charge of the Belmont Ground in Philadelphia.

MR. ST. CLAIR KELBURN MULHOLLAND STOBART died on April 9th after a short illness on the voyage home from East Africa. He was born in 1862, and in 1879 and 1880 was in the Winchester Eleven. In his two matches with Eton he scored 28 runs in three completed innings and took four wickets for 62 runs. He afterwards went up to Oxford, but did not secure his Blue.

THE REV. WILLIAM M. STONEHILL, who was well-known in New York cricketing circles, died on February 5th at New York from typhoid fever. He was born at Oxford in 1855.

HARRY STORER, a brother of the well-known wicket-keeper, died in the first week of May of consumption at the early age of 38. He played for Derbyshire on a few occasions in 1895, his highest score being 35 against Leicestershire at Derby. As an Association footballer he gained much distinction, and played for Liverpool in two of the memorable English Cup semi-finals with Sheffield United.

frequently got up quickly off the pitch, being at times a very awkward bowler to play. His first match for Derbyshire was against Yorkshire on the Derby ground in 1881, and his last against Lancashire at Manchester in 1898. For some years he captained the team, and it was no fault of his that only a small amount of success attended their efforts, for he was a splendid worker and popular with all. As a batsman Mr. Walker was lively and energetic hitter, but he did not possess sufficient guard of his wicket. His highest score in first-class cricket was 66 for Derbyshire v. Surrey at the Oval in 1884, which was made at a time when runs were much wanted. He was invited to assist the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord's in 1888 and 1894 but declined on each occasion. In the latter year, however, he twice took part in representative cricket, appearing for North v. South in Wood's benefit at the Oval and for Gentlemen v. Players on the same ground.

JOHAN WHEELER, the well-known Leicestershire cricketer and one of the most respected members of the ground-staff at Lord's died at Sutton Bonnington, Notts, on September 22nd. He was born at Sutton Bonnington--or, according to another account, at Leicester--on December 9th, 1844, and appeared for Nottinghamshire Colts form 1863 until 1872. Accepting several engagements--from 1870 to 1875 he was with the Phoenix Park Club in Dublin--his career in county cricket was naturally seriously interfered with and only twice, in 1873 and 1877, did he appear for Notts, his opponents on each occasion being Yorkshire at Trent Bridge. Meanwhile he had appeared for Leicestershire, and against M.C.C and Ground at Lord's in 1876 had scored 59 and 38 not out, Morley being one of the bowlers opposed to him. Two years later he performed the feat of his career, making 60 and 65 against the first Australian team, who had Spofforth, Allan, Garrett, and Boyle to bowl for them. A. Sankey, who scored 70, helped Wheeler to make 113 for the county's first wicket in the first innings, and, although the Australians eventually won by eight wickets, owing to rousing innings of 133 by Charles Bannerman in the final stage of the game, the match was a triumph for the pair named, and especially for Wheeler. In the same year Wheeler was offered a position on the ground-staff at Lord's which he accepted and retained without a break until his death. He continued to appear for Leicestershire, however, until 1892, when he was in his forty-eighth year. At the Oval in 1885 he played an innings of 107 against Surrey, the next highest score on the side being 12 by Warren. After retiring from county cricket Wheeler took to umpiring and invariably gave the greatest satisfaction. He was granted two benefit matches, one by his county and the other by the M. C. C., the former being Leicestershire v. Derbyshire on the Leicester ground in 1892 and the latter between M.C.C. and Ground v. Notts at Lord's in the following May. He was a sound batsman, a fast round armed bowler, and a good field at mid-off or at the wicket. In the match between Leicestershire and Warwickshire at Edgbaston in 1890 he made three catches in the first innings and four in the second.

MR. WALTER O. WILKINSON, who was born at Oldham in Lancashire, in 1852, died on May 18th at Mount Vernon, N. Y. For several years he was prominently associated with the Haarlem C.C. and New Jersey A.C.

MR. ALFRED WILSON, J. P. for Kent and Essex, was born in London on May 24th, 1828, and died at Worthing on January 2nd. He was in the Rugby XI. in 1846 and played for Oxford in 1848 and two following years. He was twice on the winning side against Cambridge, but he contributed little to the victories, his scores in the three matches being only 7 and 3, 11 and 0, and 0 and 9. His highest score in a match of note was 43 v. M. C. C. at Cambridge in 1850.

MR. CHARLES ABSOLON. A brief notice of the veteran cricketer appeared in Wisden for 1908. The following statistics of his career will be read with interest:--

Between the ages of 50 and 80 he took 8,500 wickets and made 26,000 runs, and even during the last year he played his bowling accounted for a hundred wickets. Some of his best performance during the latter part of his career were as follows:--

In July, 1861, he played at Walham Green for United Master Butchers v. XX. of the Metropolitan Clubs. The latter were dismissed for 4, Absolon obtaining every wicket except the last. In 1872, playing for W. J. Page's XXII, v. U.A.E.E., he dismissed W. H. Iddison, John Smith (of Cambridge), and T. Hayward with consecutive balls, and two deliveries later disposed of Luke Greenwood. Playing for Wood Green v. United Willesden at Wood Green in July, 1872, at the age of 55, he had a hand in getting the whole twenty of the Willesden wickets. He bowled down ten, six were caught from his bowling, two hit wicket off his bowling, and he caught out two. He took seventeen wickets (seven in the first innings and all ten in the second) for St. Mary's Cray v. Shoreham, at St. Mary's Cray on June 11th, 1873. He obtained seventeen wickets, nine in the first innings and eight in the second, bowling down 16, for Wood Green v. Southgate House, at Southgate, August 4th, 1873. (One player was run out in each innings). In September, 1873, he took part in a scratch match at Brown's Ground, Nunhead, between Three of All England and A Twelve. The Three made only six runs between them. Absolon took the wickets of the three great men in 19 balls. The Twelve, who were not allowed to hit behind or to leave their ground in striking, scored 15, W. G. taking nine wickets for eight runs. In 1878 he took all ten wickets in the first innings and all three which fell in the second for Smithfield Wanderers v. Pelham Albert, at Nunhead. In 1882, at the age of 65, he took four wickets with the first four balls he delivered when playing against Page Green, and in a match at Tufnell Park took seven wickets in two overs without being scored from. In 1883, at the age of 66, he obtained all ten wickets in an innings. In 1884, at the age of 67, he played against Bedford Town, carrying his bat through the innings for 40 and obtaining eight of the ten wickets. In the same year, playing against Hatfield, he took five wickets in six balls when they had five wickets in hand and required only three runs to win. His side accordingly won by 2 runs. In 1884 also he obtained five wickets in six balls for Cheam v. Banstead. In 1885, at the age of 68, he took a team to his native place, Wallingford, and obtained seventeen wickets in the match, including nine for 16 runs in the first innings. In 1888, aged 71, he took four wickets in four balls in a match in Tufnell Park, and three times carried his bat through an innings. He batted over an hour for two runs for Westminster Tradesmen v. A. Division of Police, on the Westminister School Ground on September 8th, 1890, being then 73 years old. During that season he five times carried his bat through an innings. In 1897, at the age of 80, he obtained 100 wickets.

Between 1868 and 1893, when he was 76 years of age, he scored 24,189 runs and took 7,339 wickets. His easy action allowed him to bowl in matches at a very advanced age. During his last few years he fielded in the slips and when batting always employed the service of a runner. He had been a total abstainer since 1857 and never smoked.

The following Deaths occurred during 1907, but particulars were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN'S ALMANACKfor 1908.

THE RIGHT REV. LEIGHTON COLEMAN, Bishop of Delaware, was born at Philadelphia on May 3rd, 1837, and died at Wilmington on December 14th. At one time he was a member of the Union C.C. and often played in Philadelphia. He retained his interest in the game to the last.

MR. GEORGE BAYNTON DAVY, J.P., who was Hon. Secretary of the Notts County C. C. from 1868 until 1874, died at Spean Lodge, Kingussie, N. B., on December 22nd. Whilst at Eton he was Keeper of Sixpenny but never in the Eleven, although in 1857 he appeared at Lord's for Etonians under 21 against Harrovians under 20. Scores and Biographies states he was an average batsman and a good field at point, and that for some years he captained the Nottinghamshire Gentlemen. He was born at Valparaiso, Chili, on September 23rd, 1838.

MR. JAMES FAIRCLOUGH, a very fair all-round cricketer who occasionally appeared for the Gentlemen of Lancashire in the sixties, died on December 1st in his sixty-ninth year. He had three times been Mayor of Warrington.

© John Wisden & Co